Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jalby did you know that you are "Member6667"? I personally find that pretty interesting...

I might recommend watching Dexter (as an above poster mentioned) Or maybe taking up the history of the city you live in so that when you are walking with someone you might be able to point out something cool about a local monument. Or watch the old spice/dosecis youtube channel. Pick a Republican candidate and start barnstorming with him across Iowa. Go to the smithsonian museums.

Maybe then you will find stuff more interesting than the fact I am member 6667

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many points did adding an M.D. to your name add to your selection pool of women? What was the average rating of women for you, pre-M.D.?

I always said that being a MD raised your attractiveness level 30%. When I spent a year as a club promoter, I found it shocking how whenever I would introduce my male friends to women, their first question was always some form of "Are you a doctor." If they said yes, it was like a chick magnet was turned on and the women were automatically interested.

Actually, my entire career as a club promoter happened because I was a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, my entire career as a club promoter happened because I was a doctor.
jokerserious.jpg

Jalby, I have been looking for the USC Keck match lists for 09', 10', and 11' on SDN and google, but it appears that these are guarded more closely than the contents of Fort Knox. I think you went here for med school, so I figured if Jalby can't find these then no one can. I was just accepted this week, so I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

How did you become such a cool guy?

He smoked Step 1 and then his most famous proteges Long Dong came to existence to learn how to smoke Step 1 as well. Soon after that, legions of med students on SDN learned Jalby's (and by second hand, Long Dong's) method of smoking Step 1. Long Dong is a cool dude too and carried the torch during Jalby's long absence from SDN. I've been on the site for way too many years.

So, what... You put off residency for a year to do that? How did that make sense, career wise??!?! This is in the intarnetz so I guess I'll just take your word...

Residency put me off for a year. I didn't match into Ortho.

Jalby, I have been looking for the USC Keck match lists for 09', 10', and 11' on SDN and google, but it appears that these are guarded more closely than the contents of Fort Knox. I think you went here for med school, so I figured if Jalby can't find these then no one can. I was just accepted this week, so I want to know what I'm getting myself into.

I have no idea where to get them. I bet if you e-mail the admissions office they will give it to you. But I would wait until march. It is early.

How did you become such a cool guy?

I am much cooler online than I am in real life. Just like everybodies opinion of their own facebook page.

And honestly, if it wasn't for some random guy bumping up my Georgetown Admissions department thread after 5 years of being dormant, I wouldn't even be here (SDN)

Members don't see this ad :)
He smoked Step 1 and then his most famous proteges Long Dong came to existence to learn how to smoke Step 1 as well. Soon after that, legions of med students on SDN learned Jalby's (and by second hand, Long Dong's) method of smoking Step 1. Long Dong is a cool dude too and carried the torch during Jalby's long absence from SDN. I've been on the site for way too many years.

You have been on this site 2+ years, according to the left.

Well, I joined SDN about year 2 of existence. I found out about it because it was in the LA Times when AMCAS screwed up their first try for electronic admissions.

I started becoming known because I used SDN as a wikipedia of useful information that had never been done before. For example, listing when you got an interview at a school so other people knows when schools have sent out invites.

Then, after I applied to medical school and got in, I created an "official Guide to Applying to medical school." That had been bumped up for years. I thought that would be my legacy.

Then studying for step one I created an official Step one study guide. I also used data to use scores on the Kaplan questions to predict what score you would get on Step one using the data from past years.

Then, after five years of being dormant, some random guy bumped up my thread about how horribly the GT admissions department treated me. That is how most of you guys know me. I can still hear the condescending tone of the lady on the phone when she told me that if I really cared I would have sent in a letter immediately and how Georgetown really doesn't have to make accommodations for people because they are Georgetown. I think I have extracted my pound of flesh, but then again, the same people who run the department 12 years ago are running it now.

I totally remember your avatar from waaaayyyyy back.

How many abstracts, pubs, etc. did you have?

How did you decide on radiology?
jh2.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

why didn't you get into ortho with a 250+ step I? Do you suck in real life or something?

Yes, I do. I found out that I accidentally pissed off some of the residents because I kept answering the questions to the attendings questions without giving them a chance. Also I didn't apply to nearly enough places because I was told I would get into a better place than USC.

How many abstracts, pubs, etc. did you have?

How did you decide on radiology?
jh2.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

No research whatsoever. I decided on Radiology on scramble day because it was a easy lifestyle and the program was close to New York City.

Hey. I think this is a very informative thread. Much appreciated. So I will add some questions that I've come up with. Hope to get answers to some of the questions if they're not too inappropriate. By the way I am a first year med student and about 5years older than most first years.

1) Could you post a pic of your fiance? If that's not possible, please describe her assets-> what makes her a 10, according to you. Hair, face,breasts, body type?
2) When is a good time in your career to get a fiance (or some type of girl that you plan to make babies with)?
3) Would it be a good idea for a 1st year resident to import a hot girl from his home country, just because he isn't cool or attractive enough to date the same level of girls in the u.s.? I mean if you want an upgrade from a 5 to an 8-9? Why don't more attendings do this?
4) I am most interested in ER, anesthesia, neurology, or primary care(or possibly some noncompetitive specialty like allergy). I do not think I would be able to match into a very competitive specialty because of my severe/pathologic "lack of people skills". Please tell me if I should also consider radiology? I am getting A's in anatomy, but I dislike this subject and find it much easier to excel in physiology/biochem/genetics,etc. I understand that radiology is known to have much higher income than those specialties listed above, but I read in some posts that this may no longer be true for new grads or in the future. So is 1 hour of work in radiology dept more or less difficult than 1hr of Er, anesthesia, etc? I heard that anesthesia attendings can actually read a novel while at work..

5) I plan to get the best residency that I can by getting 260+ on step1 and I do not foresee that I'll get good grades on clerkships or strong LORs despite my best effort. As such, I also do not see any value in summer research. In that case, what should I do next summer? I'd like to travel(overseas), but I have no money.

3) Would it be a good idea for a 1st year resident to import a hot girl from his home country, just because he isn't cool or attractive enough to date the same level of girls in the u.s.? I mean if you want an upgrade from a 5 to an 8-9? Why don't more attendings do this?
4) I am most interested in ER, anesthesia, neurology, or primary care(or possibly some noncompetitive specialty like allergy). I do not think I would be able to match into a very competitive specialty because of my severe/pathologic "lack of people skills". Please tell me if I should also consider radiology?

LOL, I am guessing the bolded in number four would be a good reason to "import" a wife, haha.

More attendings probably don't do it because they don't want to say "a catalog" when asked "where did you meet your wife". hahaahaha

LOL, I am guessing the bolded in number four would be a good reason to "import" a wife, haha.

More attendings probably don't do it because they don't want to say "a catalog" when asked "where did you meet your wife". hahaahaha

No! I wanted to disclose my lack of social skills to explain why I do not expect to match into a competitive residency, although I am far from lazy. My questions were in random order and not related or interdependent. I do not think that just because someone has above average social skills he will be pulling girlfriends like a rock star.
I think attendings don't behave like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXYXwTQRNNs
because they dont have what it takes to pull an 8 and they know they'd get shot down.

How does Jalby feel about Harrison's during 2nd-4th year of medical school? I know everyone says, hell no. But. A few nights back before our Heme/Onc exam, I reviewed at least half of the material in a copy from the library. I skipped all the information on treatment (as per FA), but it seemed like that would all be useful for next year. It also comes with a DVD of tutorial videos. I would be pumped to get it, but also hesitant for obvious reasons. We're talking ~ $120 on ebay for the new edition.

I do not think that just because someone has above average social skills he will be pulling girlfriends like a rock star.
I think attendings don't behave like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXYXwTQRNNs
because they dont have what it takes to pull an 8 and they know they'd get shot down.
That depends on the guy.... Of course everyone gets shot down every now and then.
il_fullxfull.212141419.jpg

Hey. I think this is a very informative thread. Much appreciated. So I will add some questions that I've come up with. Hope to get answers to some of the questions if they're not too inappropriate. By the way I am a first year med student and about 5years older than most first years.

1) Could you post a pic of your fiance? If that's not possible, please describe her assets-> what makes her a 10, according to you. Hair, face,breasts, body type?
2) When is a good time in your career to get a fiance (or some type of girl that you plan to make babies with)?
4) I am most interested in ER, anesthesia, neurology, or primary care(or possibly some noncompetitive specialty like allergy). I do not think I would be able to match into a very competitive specialty because of my severe/pathologic "lack of people skills". Please tell me if I should also consider radiology? I am getting A's in anatomy, but I dislike this subject and find it much easier to excel in physiology/biochem/genetics,etc. I understand that radiology is known to have much higher income than those specialties listed above, but I read in some posts that this may no longer be true for new grads or in the future. So is 1 hour of work in radiology dept more or less difficult than 1hr of Er, anesthesia, etc? I heard that anesthesia attendings can actually read a novel while at work..

5) I plan to get the best residency that I can by getting 260+ on step1 and I do not foresee that I'll get good grades on clerkships or strong LORs despite my best effort. As such, I also do not see any value in summer research. In that case, what should I do next summer? I'd like to travel(overseas), but I have no money.

lolwut.

Hows the job hunt going?

Sorry I have been slacking. Sometimes I forget you guys exist. Right now I start fellowship in 213 days. I am applying for a second fellowship to follow that one right now. I probably won't start looking until 2013

Sorry I have been slacking. Sometimes I forget you guys exist. Right now I start fellowship in 213 days. I am applying for a second fellowship to follow that one right now. I probably won't start looking until 2013

What are you going to do the second fellowship in, and why?

1. I'll do better than a picture:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlFDyfFj4Oc
Skip to ~2:40

2. You get more attractive the further you get in your medical training. So I would recommend sometime in residency.

3. I don't think this is really a ask Jalby type question. This is my home country.

4. Radiology is a great field for people with lack of people skills. The kind of person who would import a wife from a home country. You never have to interact with other people and all communication can be by what you type.

5. Do research if you want to be competative. The people who will be deciding if they like you or not spend 20-40% of their work life doing research.

How does Jalby feel about Harrison's during 2nd-4th year of medical school? I know everyone says, hell no. But. A few nights back before our Heme/Onc exam, I reviewed at least half of the material in a copy from the library. I skipped all the information on treatment (as per FA), but it seemed like that would all be useful for next year. It also comes with a DVD of tutorial videos. I would be pumped to get it, but also hesitant for obvious reasons. We're talking ~ $120 on ebay for the new edition.

I have never heard of a medical student buying harrisons or cecils. I raelly think it is to much information and you won't have time to learn the stuff you will be tested on if you are studying from that book.

What are you going to do the second fellowship in, and why?

Because the job market is quite tight and having two fellowships will make you a TON more hireable than someone with just one.

Am I a horrible person because I sometimes comment on the Georgetown 2011-2012 class thread????

4. Radiology is a great field for people with lack of people skills. The kind of person who would import a wife from a home country. You never have to interact with other people and all communication can be by what you type.

I have good people skills and am going into radiology. Am I doomed? I go to a clinical IR program right now and would like to do more of that when I grow up.

Am I a horrible person because I sometimes comment on the Georgetown 2011-2012 class thread????

Probably. But it really matters on what you say and the context. I would say if you are focused on how horrible it is that people have to go through their admissions department to get into a pretty good school, I would say you are ok. Now, if you are trying to be sure that everybody hates Georgetown as a school, I think you have crossed the line.

Not at all. They charge too much for secondary apps and there tuition is out of this world, even in the medical school arena of tutions.

Has to be the hot chick in the white coat doing the physical for sure.

If not, I'm sorry Jalby.

I'm guessing the black lady because I remember Jalby saying he has the hots for black women.

:thumbup:

Because the job market is quite tight and having two fellowships will make you a TON more hireable than someone with just one.

The job market is that bad, huh? You not interested in IR?

The job market is that bad, huh? You not interested in IR?

I am interested in IR. That is what I am trying to get my second fellowship in.

Damn, is the job market for rads really that intense? How do you foresee it in, say, 10 years?