Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
have you met any residents that went to school in europe? if yes, can you tell a difference in your knowledge as opposed to theirs? srs question

Members don't see this ad.

have you met any residents that went to school in europe? if yes, can you tell a difference in your knowledge as opposed to theirs? srs question

to add to this question: and the same with residents who went to the caribs?

1) How did you smoke Step 1?
2) Where can I find about your methods of smoking Step 1?
3) Can you teach me how to smoke 1?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have not met any residents from Europe. Their entire training system is different though. They go to med school right out of high school. I don't know if that makes a difference.

to add to this question: and the same with residents who went to the caribs?

People who went to Caribs went to Caribs for a reason. Honestly, they really only get half the training I got. One of my friends went to Ross and he told me his surgery rotation consisted of one gallbladder and one forneirs gangrene and that's it.

if you could go back and pick residency again...would you again apply ortho initially or do radiology or choose another field? why? (assume that you could have gotten into any field).

1) How did you smoke Step 1?
2) Where can I find about your methods of smoking Step 1?
3) Can you teach me how to smoke 1?

I wish I could find my study guide. I typed up a huge thing. Basically I looked first year at what the best review books were. I baught those books. During the year, when I was tested on stuff I made sure that I knew the information in those books. I got First aid. I put all the information from the books that I thought was important but not in first aid and I wrote it into first aid. I did a bunch of questions and again wrote stuff into first aid if it wasn't there.

Then, for three weeks before the test, I would only read my annotated first aid. When I knew I knew something and wasn't going to forget it, I crossed that out and never read it again. At the start it took me about 3 days to read first aid. Right before the test it took me 2 hours to read everything that I knew I didn't know.

if you could go back and pick residency again...would you again apply ortho initially or do radiology or choose another field? why? (assume that you could have gotten into any field).

I would do ENT or Urology

I wish I could find my study guide. I typed up a huge thing. Basically I looked first year at what the best review books were. I baught those books. During the year, when I was tested on stuff I made sure that I knew the information in those books. I got First aid. I put all the information from the books that I thought was important but not in first aid and I wrote it into first aid. I did a bunch of questions and again wrote stuff into first aid if it wasn't there.

Then, for three weeks before the test, I would only read my annotated first aid. When I knew I knew something and wasn't going to forget it, I crossed that out and never read it again. At the start it took me about 3 days to read first aid. Right before the test it took me 2 hours to read everything that I knew I didn't know.

What did you get?

interesting...may i ask why?? why not ortho and/or radiology?

From my understanding...:

no emergencies... ortho deal with trauma (sucks!). Rads future has some of the worst outlooks (speculations).

urology is a 9-5 surgeon - same with ENT. Great lifestyles.

I'm a urology believer.... check it out and you'll convert.

no emergencies... ortho deal with trauma (sucks!). Rads future has some of the worst outlooks (speculations).

Love those 9-5 surgeons.

*Cough*.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Here we go...
Jalby07-15-2004 06:44 PM
Finally went in to get my scores from the school office. First, again I would like to thank the people who have posted on this site for the past three years. Your advice has been invaluable and definately helped me a ton.

Here is how I prepared for the test:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=130364

What I thought of the test:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=130656

I must say, I'm estatic about my score. I thought I got lucky on a lot of questions. As for correlations (as someone who believe in this things as they correlate to USMLE's):

High School GPA: 4.17. 21st out of 451
SAT: Math 780 Verbal 620 (took the test 5 times. My Math avg was like 760. My verbal was about 550. I kept taking it because my parent signed me up)
College GPA: 3.27 GPA (2.7 Freshman, and with an upward trend)
Grad school GPA: 3.78 (Got B's in the only two classes. Got A's in all the units I had for research)
MCAT: 14B, 13P, 10V and O
Class rank: I would esitmate about 20-25 out of 150 or so.
Q-bank (totally Random): 77%

And finally, my test score: 259. Definately happy about this.

Again, thanks to everybody who helped out.

On a side note, I did decide that I shouldn't give people in an online community an unfair advantage over other people. Whenever I have went out of my way to help other people, something has alway happened to make me regrette helping out, so I decided just to totally stop. (this is added much later to this post than the original date)

</stalk>

Here we go...

</stalk>

Good job. I tried to find my preparation post and couldn't. After I posted that on here there were some *******s at my school who said I was a dick for posting stuff on here so I deleted a bunch of stuff.

Nailed it

Good job. I tried to find my preparation post and couldn't. After I posted that on here there were some *******s at my school who said I was a dick for posting stuff on here so I deleted a bunch of stuff.

Quite unfortunate. I thought the crossing things out of FA trick is pretty interesting. I haven't seen that on here before. If you can still remember back to what else you did, you know we're all oddly intrigued by your history. ;)

Pretty sure these were noted earlier in the thread via a link.

EDIT: NVM...that was LongDong
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2422403&postcount=6

LongDong asserts in this thread that they both got a 259.

fascinating read. Long Dong actually did a bunch of the things Me, BF, and Idio recommended. Brings back a ton of memories. Back then SDN was new and it was the really the first time people used groupthink for tests such as Step one. I would not have scored what I did without SDN.

And on a related note, I would not have been a club promoter or met my fiance without Myspace.

Quite unfortunate. I thought the crossing things out of FA trick is pretty interesting. I haven't seen that on here before. If you can still remember back to what else you did, you know we're all oddly intrigued by your history. ;)

Maybe when I am bored and if a certain thread keeps getting bumped up I will try to create another official guide for studying. Of course, it has been 8 years since I took step one, so my information is way out of date. Do my first aid thing, read the reviews from people who just took the test of what materials was actually usefull, and do as many questions as you can.

Another one of my biggest fears was having to take a **** during the middle of the test and also not being able to fall asleep the night before. So for three weeks before the test I shifted my sleep pattern so I went to bed at 6 PM and woke up at 2 AM. That way if I couldn't fall asleep, I had 4 extra hours. I also ate the same food every day, timing my dump at about 5 AM. That worked great.

Jalby,

Is Mitt Romney severely conservative?

I think ophtho can make a case for this as well.

Jalby,

Is Mitt Romney severely conservative?

I personally think the Romney will say whatever he needs to in order to get elected. He didn't just change his views on minor things. He went from being Pro-life, pro-gay people, pro individual mandate to all conservatives positions. Honestly, I am betting if he thought he could win as a Democrat, he would totally change all his views to align as a democrat. At least with Rick Santorum, you know he truely believes what he believes and would be saying the exact same thing if he wasn't running.

So yes, I think Mitt Romney has come down with a case of severely conservative.

I personally think the Romney will say whatever he needs to in order to get elected. He didn't just change his views on minor things. He went from being Pro-life, pro-gay people, pro individual mandate to all conservatives positions. Honestly, I am betting if he thought he could win as a Democrat, he would totally change all his views to align as a democrat. At least with Rick Santorum, you know he truely believes what he believes and would be saying the exact same thing if he wasn't running.

Mitt Romney is also a former management consultant (the old saying is that is when a client hands a watch to a management consultant and asks him to read him the time, he is supposed to reply "well, what time do you want it to be?"). In this light, most of his campaign makes sense.

I have not met any residents from Europe. Their entire training system is different though. They go to med school right out of high school. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I know its all different, we have 6 years of med school straight out of highschool, you do undergrad, but our high school is very different as well. I was just wondering if I ever want to go over there, will I be less respected at the begining? but if you havent met any nvm

Another one of my biggest fears was having to take a **** during the middle of the test and also not being able to fall asleep the night before. So for three weeks before the test I shifted my sleep pattern so I went to bed at 6 PM and woke up at 2 AM. That way if I couldn't fall asleep, I had 4 extra hours. I also ate the same food every day, timing my dump at about 5 AM. That worked great.

DUDE. this sleep idea is ****ing brilliant. I had huge trouble falling asleep for the MCAT and even most of my M1 exams, wow. I will try this.

DUDE. this sleep idea is ****ing brilliant. I had huge trouble falling asleep for the MCAT and even most of my M1 exams, wow. I will try this.

I took my MCAT on 90 minutes sleep and really needed to take a dump starting about 10 minutes into physics. Wasn't going to have that happen again. And it was fun to watch the sun rise,

People who went to Caribs went to Caribs for a reason. Honestly, they really only get half the training I got. One of my friends went to Ross and he told me his surgery rotation consisted of one gallbladder and one forneirs gangrene and that's it.

Jalby,

Where is your friend now? Is he okay with choosing Ross and did he get the residency he wanted? or is he wishing he would've waited and tried to get in a US school?

LOL, I totally agree. I think Jon Huntsman said it best, when he described Romney and his ever fluid positions, as a "well-lubricated weather vane". U're definitely right about Santorum too, I hardly agree with any of the guy's views, but you can tell he's authentic and has core convictions.

how important is it to do research to match into rads at academic programs in cali

There's no way you can possibly be in med school and think any surgeon works 9-5

on a scale of 1-10 how ballin' is your life?

what are the odds I can one day say I have achieved "baller status?" any tips on how to do this?

why haven't you changed your SDN status from pre-vet, I can't take it anymore!

I just read all 27 pages of this thread. And I have an exam tomorrow. Worth it. Even if I do hate derm.

There's no way you can possibly be in med school and think any surgeon works 9-5

You can; you'll just make less money.

Training for both urology and ENT is similar to gen surg training, as far as I've seen in terms of hours and workload (although most uro programs seem to take home call). But in private practice ENT you literally can have an entirely office practice that is 8-5 or 9-6 or whatever because ENT office procedures are reimbursed a *ton*. Urology is similar in that you can have two or three short OR days (compared to gen surg) with a bunch of clinic/diagnostic days.

Also, I missed this thread. Great necrobump.

Thoughts on mail order brides from eastern europe?

how important is it to do research to match into rads at academic programs in cali

I had better job prospects coming from a non-academic rads place.

on a scale of 1-10 how ballin' is your life?

what are the odds I can one day say I have achieved "baller status?" any tips on how to do this?

9. Watch the Indian guy on Parks and Recs. He has plenty of great ideas.

why haven't you changed your SDN status from pre-vet, I can't take it anymore!

I'm still waiting for a Mod to go on a power trip.

Thoughts on mail order brides from eastern europe?

If you are ugly enough, go for it. You can leverage your citizenship into a temporary hot wife. See Orange is the New Black.

What specialties should you consider besides radiology if you have absolutely no social skills and no interest in path? Find the subject of most specialties interesting, just don't think I'd succeed anywhere. Something in particular that I cannot stand is psychiatry.

Can you give a review of some radiology programs that are not too selective, don't require research or pedigree, but have some positives going for them? For example nice geographical area or moonlighting opportunities,etc.

I have been patiently salivating at my computer for your return....

my prayers have been answered.

lol. You want me to return, there is really only one thing you have to do.