Ask Jalby anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Jalby, what are your thoughts on that CNN article about rads residents cheating on the boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your take on hooking up with female interns/PGY2s when you're a male 3/4th year med student? (Since we all know, women screw up, not down)

Women on top, women on bottom. I don't have a position on positions. You take whatever you can get.

what do you think?? ortho or urology?? where do see each headed in the future? supply/demand? pay? also how competitive is each one? thanks!

I would pick urology because there are a lot less middle of the night emergencies in Uro

Jalby -

How much money per year does one need to make to be happy?

I have no idea. I make $63,000 right now with residency and moonlighting and I feel like I am rolling in it...

Jalby,

For someone about to graduate medical school which would you recommend: Income based loan repayment or forebearance or 30 year traditional repayment plan?

That depends on your interest rate. There are two main things. Do you think the stock market will outperform your interest rate?? And also do you own a home so you won't be taking the standard deduction. For the most part, you will have to take the standard deduction so you will not be able to write off the itnerest of your student loans through residency. B/c of that, you should really forebear as much as you possibly can.

Who would make more money in 15years (assuming ms1 now): cardiac anesthesiologist or cardiologist? Thanks.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a cardiac anes. So I would put my $$$ on cardiology...

To The Great Jalby: How were you able to manage being a promoter and attending school/residency?

I didn't and would not have been able to. I went out 4-6 times a week to do that. It's hard work. I was actually doing research which was great, because I could do it at all hours of the night.

Jeez people do your research. He went for Ortho, didn't get it. Decided to take a year off before going through match again to avoid scramble. He spent this year as a club promoter. He then decided to match into Radiology the following year.

Also, you're the man Jalby. :thumbup:

Why thank you :)

What are the three best specialties one can apply to now?

I woudl do urology, ENT, orrr..... I really have no idea for the other one. Some thing that requires you to use your hands but doesn't have middle of the night emergencies.

Jalby, what are your thoughts on that CNN article about rads residents cheating on the boards?

I am SHOCKED that 95% of the radiology residents would use a tool such as old test questions to study for a test that has ridiculous questions on it that have nothing to do with radiology in any way shape or form. I mean, radiology residents should really be studying whatever research the test question writer is doing so that we can get those questions right. And the ACR shouldn't have to try to be sure that more than 50% of the questions are new. That would require way more than the $5,000 of dues that the force the radiology residents to pay them during the 4 years

(Not to mention huge fees if you have to change a test date. I just got a letter in the mail for oral boards that said I had to mail back the letter saying I am taking the oral boards with a post-mark date in 2 weeks or I would be charged $400 more than the $1,200 or so I already have to pay for those boards)

Some people would say they are blackmailing the residents for all that money, but I sure wouldn't.

Radiology residents should sack up and stop using recalls even though that means that they absolutely would fail their boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you think is the potential in urology money wise? and how's the supply/demand these days? and would u really pick it over ortho even though that's the field you had originally wanted to go into?? (as a side note, i agree with you)

Women on top, women on bottom. I don't have a position on positions. You take whatever you can get.

By the way, I got hit with two SDN terms of service violations last month. One for having to big a Tupac picture. The other for "falsly representing myself" when I recommended to people in the allopathic forums that they should ask PM and R residents questions because they have nothing to do with all their free time. (hopefully nobody notices I am Pre-Vet right now)

If you don't have a sense of humor, don't read this thread and be sure to go into a specialty like OB/Gyn or Surgery where analness is an asset.

what do you think is the potential in urology money wise? and how's the supply/demand these days? and would u really pick it over ortho even though that's the field you had originally wanted to go into?? (as a side note, i agree with you)

I picked ortho because I am 6'2, male, white, and a athlete and everybody told me I was going into ortho.

I really have no idea about the monetary status or Uro nowadays. Everything is in flux with all the reform.

understandable. how about urology vs. radiology? would u still pick uro over radiology? why or why not?

understandable. how about urology vs. radiology? would u still pick uro over radiology? why or why not?

Go into urology and quit asking me questions about it. You know you have already made up your mind and you are just looking for things to justify your decision.

Last edited:
What's the best specialty if my goal is to make $400k and have plenty of vacation if I am not competitive for derm, ortho, ent, ophto but can get 250+ on step1? Is it possible that cardiologists will be making <400k in 10yrs?

What's the best specialty if my goal is to make $400k and have plenty of vacation if I am not competitive for derm, ortho, ent, ophto but can get 250+ on step1? Is it possible that cardiologists will be making <400k in 10yrs?

Wait, wait. You are not competitive for those, but CAN get a 250? Did I miss something there?

Wait, wait. You are not competitive for those, but CAN get a 250? Did I miss something there?

A lack of significant research or bad clinical grades could kill his chances at matching into those fields, regardless of step 1 score.

A lack of significant research or bad clinical grades could kill his chances at matching into those fields, regardless of step 1 score.

or he went to the caribs...

By the way, I got hit with two SDN terms of service violations last month. One for having to big a Tupac picture. The other for "falsly representing myself" when I recommended to people in the allopathic forums that they should ask PM and R residents questions because they have nothing to do with all their free time. (hopefully nobody notices I am Pre-Vet right now)

If you don't have a sense of humor, don't read this thread and be sure to go into a specialty like OB/Gyn or Surgery where analness is an asset.

wth, why can't you honor Tupac?!?!?!

Also, is analness a good asset if my assumptions are that I will asscertain the position of colorectal surgeon one day?

what specialty should i do to make over 500k a year in a major city working under 60 hours a week, that's not surgery related or dermatology?

There is none.

or he went to the caribs...
Close. I am DO. But that's not the point. We have DO derm and ortho residencies. So theoretically it's possible. But I am only good at multiple choice tests.. It is possible that I will continue to get A's in MS3 if they pimp me on specific questions, but not if they rate me on something "humanistic". For example I was just in line to get a coffee and clearly saw that an elderly man next to me had either BCC or SCC on his nose. I can tell that whatever he has with that telangiectasia and partial erosion is clearly not actinic keratosis and probably not a cherry angioma but is still well demarcated. So I could've asked him about it and suggested that he go see a dr. But I figured what for? It's pretty obvious that he'll figure it out on his own or someone else will tell him to check it out. I just wanted to get my coffee... I am not a "go-getter" and I am fine with that.

Close. I am DO. But that's not the point. We have DO derm and ortho residencies. So theoretically it's possible. But I am only good at multiple choice tests.. It is possible that I will continue to get A's in MS3 if they pimp me on specific questions, but not if they rate me on something "humanistic". For example I was just in line to get a coffee and clearly saw that an elderly man next to me had either BCC or SCC on his nose. I can tell that whatever he has with that telangiectasia and partial erosion is clearly not actinic keratosis and probably not a cherry angioma but is still well demarcated. So I could've asked him about it and suggested that he go see a dr. But I figured what for? It's pretty obvious that he'll figure it out on his own or someone else will tell him to check it out. I just wanted to get my coffee... I am not a "go-getter" and I am fine with that.

I've got to give you mad props for knowing your own weaknesses. It's rare to find a med student who doesn't think he is the best at everything and if he isn't, someone screwed him.

Should I go into anesthiosiolgoy, gastroenterology, or cardiology, to make the most money (assuming 60 hrs worked/week) in 15 years?
They all make a lot of money, the two questions are:

1. Which do you like best?
2. Do you have the resume to get in?

Should I go into anesthiosiolgoy, gastroenterology, or cardiology, to make the most money (assuming 60 hrs worked/week) in 15 years?

I got to be honest, I am out of date of what makes the most. Things have changed over the last 5 years. I knew it when I was applying (Cardiology) but things have changed. Gestro might be the best nowadays....

Which one I like best will depend on which one makes more money. money = happiness. and i hope i have the resume to get in

I thought becoming rich and famous would make me happy. Boy was I right. -- Mitt Romney

Who deals with less people (altogether): Anesthesia or Rads?

Also, what do you think/know about the gas job market with AA's/CRNA's and such?

Who deals with less people (altogether): Anesthesia or Rads?

Also, what do you think/know about the gas job market with AA's/CRNA's and such?

Radiology. Anes has to get consent and then intubate the patient. Reds has the option of sitting in their dark room never talking to patients. (great specialties for albinos and those allergic to sunlight)

You make more money using AA's/CRNA's. Imagine there was a magical machine that allowed you to do 5 times more work--->automatic more pay (minus cost of the machine). Now imagine the magical machine is called a "CRNA." (also imagine the machine was also a "hot" machine that you could tap. ie a fembot. Why would you not like the CRNA's? (unless the CRNA was a "manbot" intent on tapping your a##):laugh:

Since people keep bringing it up, if it weren't for the $$$, what is the draw to urology and GI? You'd get your tail kicked in junior high if you said you wanted to be a urologist when you grew up.

Last edited:
Since people keep bringing it up, if it weren't for the $$$, what is the draw to urology and GI? You'd get your tail kicked in junior high if you said you wanted to be a urologist when you grew up.

I would pick Uro over GI any day of the week.

I would pick Uro over GI any day of the week.

Jalby,

do tall, athletic, white dudes who are fanatical about sports have to go into Ortho?

What if they're kinda lazy and don't love being at the hospital all-day, every day?

You make more money using AA's/CRNA's. Imagine there was a magical machine that allowed you to do 5 times more work--->automatic more pay (minus cost of the machine). Now imagine the magical machine is called a "CRNA." (also imagine the machine was also a "hot" machine that you could tap. ie a fembot. Why would you not like the CRNA's? (unless the CRNA was a "manbot" intent on tapping your a##):laugh:

Tapping a fembot when it is also your CRNA sounds like sexual harrasement.... Now an old fembot who's secure in life but doesn't function in your hospital, that's the ticket.

Does being a tall, athletic guy with a strong build actually help? I mean, how important is physical appearance and attractiveness when it comes to interviewing for top residencies?

I am bored and on a fellowship interview someone mentioned SDN and how he would have liked it if he could have gotten advice from people who have been through it all rather than other random pre-meds who was just spreading other information that they got on SDN as if it was facts about places.

So, if you have any questions, ask them. I finished med school, partway through a radiology residency (410 days left), and am currently applying for fellowship. I was one of the first people on SDN when it was first started (even in the top 10 posters of all time back in the day)

And BTW, I think pre-meds are the worst people on earth and I can be very sarcastic, so don't ask stupid questions.

Jalby, I noticed you fight crime at night... Do you have the body of a bat and the head of a cay-oh-tee?

Jalby,

do tall, athletic, white dudes who are fanatical about sports have to go into Ortho?

What if they're kinda lazy and don't love being at the hospital all-day, every day?

Sorry I have been MIA. Life got in the way of my SDNing.

The day I walked into medical school I was told I would be doing Orthopedics since I was a tall athletic white guy. Honestly, if you fit in as a frat guy, you will fit in with Ortho.

Does being a tall, athletic guy with a strong build actually help? I mean, how important is physical appearance and attractiveness when it comes to interviewing for top residencies?

It is much better to be a hot girl. The people who do the interviewing tend to be all guys.