Anyone here trying to match academic IM this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I signalled them and had a regional preference for that region

I haven't gotten any interviews from the places I signaled even though some of them have sent out iv...kind of feel I wasted some signals.. I think I should of signaled to lower tier programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't gotten any interviews from the places I signaled even though some of them have sent out iv...kind of feel I wasted some signals.. I think I should of signaled to lower tier programs.
Same Man, hopefully we hear soon

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got level 2 back. Will the drop hurt me? Should I wait to post my level 2 until I get more interviews? @Ho0v-man @AlteredScale @NotAProgDirector
Level 2=670
Level 1=671

Step 1: Mid 250s
Step 2: TBD (Nov 1st)
I think that’s too IM-specific for me to speak with confidence. My guess is that it’s unlikely to hurt you.

I dropped over 30 points from level 1 to level 2. I forgot OMM existed. Whoops! Lol

Reactions: 3 users
I think that’s too IM-specific for me to speak with confidence. My guess is that it’s unlikely to hurt you.

I dropped over 30 points from level 1 to level 2. I forgot OMM existed. Whoops! Lol
What’s OMM?

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, y’all can doubt it if you want, but I have seen how my program approaches applications. I also saw a stark difference last year in how people who had a Step 1 and 2 got more interviews and earlier interviews than those that didn’t. I know someone who was asked why they hadn’t taken Step 2 yet and how they almost weren’t given an interview because of it, this was in the interview with a PD.

Even with people with high step 1 and strong apps?
This does not apply to you. You are not an MD with 260 step 1 applying to neurosurgery or ENT. I am pretty sure people told you this last year as well, unfortunately. Get your scores in asap. It's all you can do now.

Edit: didn't see there are many more posts since this one. I'll add for applicants next cycle: no reason to delay step 2. If you get a 260 step 1 and then a 250+ step 2 no one will care. It's not about whether you are a good applicant or not. It's completely due to culling the herd. For every DO with good scores and research but no step 2 there are several MD (or DO) applicants that have that and step 2 score. It's just an easy way to filter. If you are a DO then you need to get your stuff complete before apps. Idk how many times this needs to be said. As a DO you give no reasons to be skipped over and you still will have problems. Why add to that?

Last edited:
This does not apply to you. You are not an MD with 260 step 1 applying to neurosurgery or ENT. I am pretty sure people told you this last year as well, unfortunately. Get your scores in asap. It's all you can do now.

Edit: didn't see there are many more posts since this one. I'll add for applicants next cycle: no reason to delay step 2. If you get a 260 step 1 and then a 250+ step 2 no one will care. It's not about whether you are a good applicant or not. It's completely due to culling the herd. For every DO with good scores and research but no step 2 there are several MD (or DO) applicants that have that and step 2 score. It's just an easy way to filter. If you are a DO then you need to get your stuff complete before apps. Idk how many times this needs to be said. As a DO you give no reasons to be skipped over and you still will have problems. Why add to that?
Yet the dude scored a Vandy invite, I think he will be fine.... but yea get that step 2 score kids(MD or DO)

No one said anything about not being fine. It's still suboptimal and totally avoidable with little risk generally.
Hence what I said at the end of my statement, I was more getting at the fact that you made it sound like it was death sentence in the match or something.

No one said anything about not being fine. It's still suboptimal and totally avoidable with little risk generally.
Little risk? I wasnt confident in getting a 250+ on CK before ERAS went out and I was doing research and subIs before ERAS went out. And no I asked a ton of people about whether I should take Step 2 or not and they said based on my circumstance I should wait bc my app would generate interviews regardless yes maybe I would get less but the risk of taking early was not worth it. My residency advisor told me this, divine told me this and multiple admins on here from WAMC IM thread told me this. I have a date Nov 1 to take CK I but it sounded like from your post that not having CK is an absolute dumpster fire when I think I will be fine even without one for the time being. I do have a Level 2 score as of today at least so maybe ill get some low tier academic invites with that

Just got level 2 back. Will the drop hurt me? Should I wait to post my level 2 until I get more interviews? @Ho0v-man @AlteredScale @NotAProgDirector
Level 2=670
Level 1=671

Step 1: Mid 250s
Step 2: TBD (Nov 1st)
Since you have a step score(s) most are not going to care about your comlex, especially not a 1 point drop. Not having step 2 back yet may cause a little bump in the road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the best time to send LOIs to places? I know it's early, but I want to be able to have enough time at the same time.

Anyone know the best time to send LOIs to places? I know it's early, but I want to be able to have enough time at the same time.
I hear wait a few more weeks, some places haven't done thier first pass yet and if you send it right now it would most likely annoy them

I'm not applying primarily IM but I thought I'd post here to help people strategize in the future. I am mostly applying community-based, university-affiliated IM for backups... since I'm not double dipping where I'm applying rads, and most university programs have rads.

I applied to seven IM programs total, carefully targeted. Three got a generic unedited IM statement, while the other four got a version of that statement where I replaced one paragraph with why specifically I liked the area and their program in particular, and sprinkled their name in in a couple other places. One site was my third year core site and another didn't take signals, so I got to signal all five of the other ones, which was nice.

I have a 5/7 yield so far. 4/5 programs I signaled have extended an interview, and 4/4 places I wrote an individualized personal statement for have invited me. The places that have not interviewed me have the mix of generic statement + signal and generic statement + no signal, and what feels quite natural is they're the places where I was just hunting for a couple more programs to apply to. I didn't think I had a good connection with them that I could explain in the first place, which is why they didn't get individual statements.

So I guess my advice if anyone is bothering to read is that no matter what your primary choice is, whether it's academic IM or something else, having some carefully targeted lower tier IM programs in your back pocket, that you made the effort to show a connection to and even wrote an individual personal statement for, goes a long way towards giving you peace of mind. I feel 100% confident that if my main plans fall through, I will still match one of these locations if I don't screw up the interviews because I am very much an above average candidate for them with a strong connection to their areas.

• Love
I'm not applying primarily IM but I thought I'd post here to help people strategize in the future. I am mostly applying community-based, university-affiliated IM for backups... since I'm not double dipping where I'm applying rads, and most university programs have rads.

I applied to seven IM programs total, carefully targeted. Three got a generic unedited IM statement, while the other four got a version of that statement where I replaced one paragraph with why specifically I liked the area and their program in particular, and sprinkled their name in in a couple other places. One site was my third year core site and another didn't take signals, so I got to signal all five of the other ones, which was nice.

I have a 5/7 yield so far. 4/5 programs I signaled have extended an interview, and 4/4 places I wrote an individualized personal statement for have invited me. The places that have not interviewed me have the mix of generic statement + signal and generic statement + no signal, and what feels quite natural is they're the places where I was just hunting for a couple more programs to apply to. I didn't think I had a good connection with them that I could explain in the first place, which is why they didn't get individual statements.

So I guess my advice if anyone is bothering to read is that no matter what your primary choice is, whether it's academic IM or something else, having some carefully targeted lower tier IM programs in your back pocket, that you made the effort to show a connection to and even wrote an individual personal statement for, goes a long way towards giving you peace of mind. I feel 100% confident that if my main plans fall through, I will still match one of these locations if I don't screw up the interviews because I am very much an above average candidate for them with a strong connection to their areas.
This is something I should have done lol I really wish I had shown more interest and personalized PS to like 1 or 2 low tier academic places I know im overqualified for. Very very good points here

This is something I should have done lol I really wish I had shown more interest and personalized PS to like 1 or 2 low tier academic places I know im overqualified for. Very very good points here
With your stats, it honestly might not be too late. Just really sell it in the personalized personal statements.

I assume the first wave of IV invites are for people who are superstars and the 2nd and 3rd waves are for people with average stats?

I assume the first wave of IV invites are for people who are superstars and the 2nd and 3rd waves are for people with average stats?
I think soo, especially for mid/mid low tier programs, so I think you're still in the running this early in the game, I would send an LOI in a few weeks if you haven't heard from a program you signalled/did an away or are going to do an away at.

I think soo, especially for mid/mid low tier programs, so I think you're still in the running this early in the game, I would send an LOI in a few weeks if you haven't heard from a program you signalled/did an away or are going to do an away at.
If the website or eras doesn't list the pd email, should we just send to the email listed in eras or the website?

If the website or eras doesn't list the pd email, should we just send to the email listed in eras or the website?
That’s what I did. Just reach out to whoever is listed on eras. Don’t want an email? Don’t list your email on eras.

Just got an interview spot for Feb 3.. that was the earliest date left.. anyone thinks that it will hurt me to interview so late? Will try to schedule earlier if anything opens up

Just got an interview spot for Feb 3.. that was the earliest date left.. anyone thinks that it will hurt me to interview so late? Will try to schedule earlier if anything opens up
Doubt this hurts you at all. It isn't a rolling process like med school admission.

For those who plan to or has already written a letter of interest, how long is your letter?

300ish words and about 2 paragraphs
wow that is a lot longer than i was planning on.. for some of the programs i have a very hard time finding specific reasons on why i want to go there besides the location and reputation of the program..

How many interviews does everyone have at the moment? I have 12 but only about 4-5 of them are places I would like to actually go. I've seen varying numbers on the spreadsheet so I'm not sure if this is an average amount.

How many interviews does everyone have at the moment? I have 12 but only about 4-5 of them are places I would like to actually go. I've seen varying numbers on the spreadsheet so I'm not sure if this is an average amount.
It seems like way above average less than 3 weeks in. There are many with less than 10. I have 11 myself but now people with only a handful.

7 interview invites (6 academic + 1 community) but only 6 scheduled.. im on the waitlist for dates for the last one

Sitting at 12 rn. Would only really like to be at 5-6 of the places though.

Edit: 3 Academic.

Last edited: