Anyone here trying to match academic IM this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjustcuious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi is anyone trying to match into academic IM this year? If so, how many programs are you planning to apply too?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am, applying to 70ish programs, probably over-applying but rather be safe then sorry and cancel interviews later.
step 1: ~235
step2:~245
Comlex level 1: ~570
Comlex level 2: ~550(no clue what happened but hopefully no one cares haha)
Research experiences: 3(2 from undergrad)
Publications- 1 publication submitted in high impact journal?
Class rank: 2nd quartile
Honors and HP in 2 IM rotations, H in surgical elective and rest all HP
I have a few reach programs that take DO’s(around 5% DO’s in class) rest are all low to mid tier university programs and good community programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I am, applying to 70ish programs, probably over-applying but rather be safe then sorry and cancel interviews later.
I have a few reach programs that take DO’s(around 5% DO’s in class) rest are all low to mid tier university programs and good community programs.
I agree its better to be safe. I am applying to around 100 programs. Basically every academic IM program that has taken a DO. I am also couple matching with my SO who is applying to pathology so that makes things trickier. I'm also wondering how many interviews I should actually go on to make sure I match.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree its better to be safe. I am applying to around 100 programs. Basically every academic IM program that has taken a DO. I am also couple matching with my SO who is applying to pathology so that makes things trickier. I'm also wondering how many interviews I should actually go on to make sure I match.
What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking ?100 is definitely overkill even for couples match.

What are your stats if you don’t mind me asking ?100 is definitely overkill even for couples match.
I am aiming to match to a research heavy academic IM so that is why I'm applying to so many. I'll be applying to a bunch of crazy reach programs too just cause my SO wants to try it.

Step 1 231
Step 2 260
Level 1 635
Level 2 670
Didn't honor any courses =(
Research experience and pubs

I am aiming to match to a research heavy academic IM so that is why I'm applying to so many. I'll be applying to a bunch of crazy reach programs too just cause my SO wants to try it.

Step 1 231
Step 2 260
Level 1 635
Level 2 670
You have a decent shot your scores are good and you have research.

You both have the stats to interview/match at strong academic places. Realistically you could probably get away with 40-50, but I completely understand the safe-than-sorry mentality and canceling interviews versus scrambling for more. Best of luck to both of you.

You both have the stats to interview/match at strong academic places. Realistically you could probably get away with 40-50, but I completely understand the safe-than-sorry mentality and canceling interviews versus scrambling for more. Best of luck to both of you.
Yea trying to be risk averse. Also trying to be with my SO..

are you a DO whose have been through this process recently?

are you a DO whose have been through this process recently?
I'm a PGY2 now. I applied to 65-70 and was fortunate enough to have over 25 interview invites and 17 were from academic programs at the end of it all. My step scores were in the ranges you two listed. Obviously COVID has shaken things up a bit though.

I'm a PGY2 now. I applied to 65-70 and was fortunate enough to have over 25 interview invites and 17 were from academic programs at the end of it all. My step scores were in the ranges you two listed. Obviously COVID has shaken things up a bit though.
Thank you for the info!!!

Mind private messaging me your list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically every academic IM program that has taken a DO.
Is there a list for these programs? Without going through every program website to see if they take DO? Some websites don't distinguish their residents as MD vs. DO

Is there a list for these programs? Without going through every program website to see if they take DO? Some websites don't distinguish their residents as MD vs. DO
Residency explorer is pretty accurate and gives you a % for the past 4-5 years I think

Residency explorer or FRIEDA will have this information. Sometimes, it is not there and you have to bite the bullet and search through their website and roster. If that doesn't work and you are dealing itching to know you can email the PC to see if they have any DO's on their roster.

I applied to 107 programs (90% university based or university affiliated and rest is community), I'm wondering if I should add more community programs as backup...

• Wow
I applied to 107 programs (90% university based or university affiliated and rest is community), I'm wondering if I should add more community programs as backup...
As a USDO? What were your stats and any red flags? That’s way too many programs

As a USDO? What were your stats and any red flags? That’s way too many programs
My stats

Step 1 231
Step 2 260
Level 1 635
Level 2 670

No red flags except not honoring IM and IM subI... if that counts?

I'm just nervous since 90% of my programs are academic programs ..and like 10% are crazy crazy reach

My stats

Step 1 231
Step 2 260
Level 1 635
Level 2 670

I'm just nervous since 90% of my programs are academic programs ..and like 10% are crazy crazy reach
Ohh I remember you are couples matching so that’s why applying to soo many. That makes sense

Only time will tell. If you land 10-20 interviews with what you have then you'll be fine. If after a few months you're sitting on 5 you need to add community programs.

When did the IVs from academic programs start coming? Im a USDO with strong app who only applied academic

Hi is anyone trying to match into academic IM this year? If so, how many programs are you planning to apply too?
I am (USDO) I applied to 63 academic programs low mid and top tier no communities. Target is upper mid tier who have taken DOs; top tiers with no DOs are probs donations

Mid 250s Step 1, Step 2 TBD (Nov 1)
Top 5% of class
All honors core clerkships
5 pubs during med school (Elsevier IJMS BMJ)
Strong ECs and work experiences

Last edited:
I am (USDO) I applied to 63 academic programs low mid and top tier no communities. Target is upper mid tier who have taken DOs; top tiers with no DOs are probs donations

Top 5% of class
Dude/dudette you got killer scores and a killer app. I'm sure you'll get a boatload of interviews. I think at this point it's just noone is gonna be lining up to interview DOs first over MDs so you just gotta wait it out.

Dude/dudette you got killer scores and a killer app. I'm sure you'll get a boatload of interviews. I think at this point it's just noone is gonna be lining up to interview DOs first over MDs so you just gotta wait it out.
Thanks! Yeah I think as DOs were going to have to wait it out but they will come eventually

Top 5% of class
This is a good test to see any anti-DO bias in play because a 250+/all honors/research/strong ECs should effectively practically sweep academic IM.

• Love
Thought I'd post my stats as well.

Hoping for a mid tier academic IM place.

• USMLE Step 1: 230

• COMLEX Level 1: 631

• USMLE Step 2: 258

• COMLEX Level 2: 673

• Clinical Grades: Honors: Medicine clerkship, medicine elective, peds, psych,

• LORs: 3 total (1 department chair letters, 1 3rd year clerkship IM attending, I took a research year so got one from this guy who commented on my clinical ability as well) 4th em letter will be uploaded Monday

• Societies (AOA, SSP, GHHS, etc): GHHS

• Research/Publications: 8 research experiences, 22 pubs/abstracts/posters/submitted etc.

• Class Rank/Quartile: N/A

• Med school rank: N/A

• Other relevant info: Took a research year in cardiology and got a letter from a bigwig

• Number of programs applied to: 100

• Region/specific programs applied to: Midwest but also south Atlantic and NY/PA and some other smattering of programs.

When did the IVs from academic programs start coming? Im a USDO with strong app who only applied academic
I got an interview from a low tier academic.. but nothing else so far.. really sucks when you see the places you apply for are giving out interviews

• LORs: 3 total (1 department chair letters, 1 3rd year clerkship IM attending, I took a research year so got one from this guy who commented on my clinical ability as well) 4th em letter will be uploaded Monday

• Research/Publications: 8 research experiences, 22 pubs/abstracts/posters/submitted etc.

• Other relevant info: Took a research year in cardiology and got a letter from a bigwig

• Region/specific programs applied to: Midwest but also south Atlantic and NY/PA and some other smattering of programs.
Did you only apply to academic programs?

I received 3 in the first week, but then it was pretty quiet until the second week of October. From then until the second week of November is when I received probably 90% of my invites.

I received 3 in the first week, but then it was pretty quiet until the second week of October. From then until the second week of November is when I received probably 90% of my invites.
Wow three?? Hopefully I hear something this upcoming week. How many programs did you apply to?

Wow three?? Hopefully I hear something this upcoming week. How many programs did you apply to?
I had strong ties to one and the other two I knew people there or who had gone there and used those connections to network within the program. I applied 65-70.

I had strong ties to one and the other two I knew people there or who had gone there and used those connections to network within the program. I applied 65-70.
What were your scores like if you don't mind me asking?

Dude nice research stats wow. Youll see some solid academic programs tossing invites your way with those numbers

My stats

Step 1 231
Step 2 260
Level 1 635
Level 2 670

Dude nice jump on Step 2. Maddd props- you clearly worked hard

This is a good test to see any anti-DO bias in play because a 250+/all honors/research/strong ECs should effectively practically sweep academic IM.
yes, its real. My school has people at MGH IM with scores/honors/research less than Deecee.

yes, its real. My school has people at MGH IM with scores/honors/research less than Deecee.
Yea we know like only a few of the top 25 IM programs such as Emory, Dartmouth (maybe top 25), UTSW, Yale(maybe top 25) take DO’s. The best a DO can usually do Is upper mid tier with 240/250+ steps and research.

Does anyone know how much research helps for academic IM?

I think that'd depend both on the program and the quality of research. A paper in a big impact journal is imo a huge help.
Do you think programs care more for basic science vs clinical research? I’ve only done basic science research.

Do you think programs care more for basic science vs clinical research? I’ve only done basic science research.
Do you have a basic science paper? That can help. Clinical research is good because it's easy to publish but basic science pretty clearly trumps most clinical research (outside of clinical trials and prospective studies)

Yeah, I only have basic science papers.. I am a DO-PhD. I’m just not sure how much research/phd helps bc only one person in my program has matched into a mid-upper tier academic program for IM.. the rest (2 other people) matched community (although I’m not sure what their scores were or how many they applied, also they needed visas)
Yeah i think the papers and the PhD will help

Yea we know like only a few of the top 25 IM programs such as Emory, Dartmouth (maybe top 25), UTSW, Yale(maybe top 25) take DO’s. The best a DO can usually do Is upper mid tier with 240/250+ steps and research.
You nailed it. Yale def T25, Dartmouth not T25, and I had no idea UTSW had DOs on roster (good to know I actually may chuck an app there now that you said this).

You nailed it. Yale def T25, Dartmouth not T25, and I had no idea UTSW had DOs on roster (good to know I actually may chuck an app there now that you said this).
Yea there was one a few years ago from Touro. So they atleast consider DO’s.

• Love