Anyone here trying to match academic IM this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe they have connections to those programs…

Man I thought i thought I had a decent shot at low academic programs …. seems like I needed to have 250 in both step 1 and step 2 to be competitive
No you don't need a 250's on both to match low tier IM. You will get interviews I got several today for "low" tier places and I have a 235 step 1. You just have to wait.. the yield protection thing might be real, send out LOI's attend thier resident meet and greets on zoom and I am sure they will give your app a second look, especially if you have a crazy high(240-250+step 2) and you think some low tier IM places are screening you out and giving invites to lower scores.

Members don't see this ad.

No you don't need a 250's on both to match low tier IM. You will get interviews I got several today for "low" tier places and I have a 235 step 1. You just have to wait..
nice congrats! any regional ties to those programs.. did you have an academic IM letter? The other thing Im worried about are my LORs.. I have a pretty generic chair letter, a community IM letter, an academic hem/onc, a phd letter…

nice congrats! any regional ties to those programs.. did you have an academic IM letter? The other thing Im worried about are my LORs.. I have a pretty generic chair letter, a community IM letter, an academic hem/onc, a phd letter…
They have been mostly regional close to my Med school. I had a chair letter that was written by a PD affiliated with my school, the rest were just preceptor letters from 3rd year. I don't think your letters are the problem. It might just be that your app hasn't been seen by some programs, and maybe some low tier places are screening you out with such a high step 2 and decently high step 1, I am actually kinda worried about it too although my scores aren't as high as yours(step 2 wise), these low tier places that have many DO's and even some IMG's might look at our app and think we are prbly a back up for them, but the very top tier places are out for us cause of DO, we just need to bank on those mid tier and low tiers to come through, I think sending an LOI after this week will help a lot, and you should hear from those places hopefully (just my 2 cents though so who knows)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They have been mostly regional close to my Med school. I had a chair letter that was written by a PD affiliated with my school, the rest were just preceptor letters from 3rd year. I don't think your letters are the problem. It might just be that your app hasn't been seen by some programs, and maybe some low tier places are screening you out with such a high step 2 and decently high step 1, I am actually kinda worried about it too although my scores aren't as high as yours(step 2 wise), these low tier places that have many DO's and even some IMG's might look at our app and think we are prbly a back up for them, but the very top tier places are out for us cause of DO, we just need to bank on those mid tier and low tiers to come through, I think sending an LOI after this week will help a lot, and you should hear from those places hopefully (just my 2 cents though so who knows)
I have this concern too.. also im not sure if my application was too research focused for like low tier or community programs…and im thinking whether my phd hurts my chances at lowtier/community program

I have this concern too.. also im not sure if my application was too research focused for like low tier or community programs…and im thinking whether my phd hurts my chances at lowtier/community program
Ohh yes I remember you are a PHD?, also you are couples matching? Have you reached out to programs and has your SO reached out to the programs he/she got interviews from? I think your app maybe too strong, I also have research and many of these low tier uni places are not super research heavy(unlike a place like Duke, UNC, Mayo etc) so maybe that's playing a role too. I would try to show interest to these programs and once you do I am sure you will be getting invites.

Ohh yes I remember you are a PHD?, also you are couples matching? Have you reached out to programs and has your SO reached out to the programs he/she got interviews from? I think your app maybe too strong, I also have research and many of these low tier uni places are not super research heavy(unlike a place like Duke, UNC, Mayo etc) so maybe that's playing a role too. I would try to show interest to these programs and once you do I am sure you will be getting invites.
I sent emails to 3 places he got interviews from but didnt hear back yet. During his interviews he is also telling the program directors and they said they were gonna follow up on it.. whatever that means... Yea I'm thinking of also sending LOIs to some more programs he got interviews from.

Yea you are right though...the super heavy research programs are soo competitive and not as DO friendly so it definitely sucks....

I sent emails to 3 places he got interviews from but didnt hear back yet. During his interviews he is also telling the program directors and they said they were gonna follow up on it.. whatever that means... Yea I'm thinking of also sending LOIs to some more programs he got interviews from.

Yea you are right though...the super heavy research programs are soo competitive and not as DO friendly so it definitely sucks....
Just give it time, it's still very early in the season, I know it feels like it's been forever but it's been like 11 days, and people get interviews in November and even in December and January.

Just give it time, it's still very early in the season, I know it feels like it's been forever but it's been like 11 days, and people get interviews in November and even in December and January.
Yea u right..just a little discouraging looking at the google IM sheet.. i keep telling myself not to look but I'm so anxious..

I hope i hear back from programs soon..even if its a rejection..

Totally agree. It may also be the trap of being a DO with too good of an app. It’s an awesome phenomenon of low/low-mid tier programs screening you out for yield protection AND higher tier programs screening you out because you’re a DO. It’s fun stuff.

Only thing that might concern me of a real red flag is if your home program passed you over.
Awesome to hear. Im basically screwed. Ive put an unbelievable amount of dedication into my application so that I had business applying to mid tier academic IM programs. ive been told by many people admins on here, advisors etc that my app is basically perfect/stellar. for this to happen is just truly disheartening. why would low and midtiers screen me out for yield protection? based on my app my chances statistically of failing step 2 (if thats what theyre worrying about with me not having step 2) is almost zero not sure why they wont interview me. sucks ass. And no my home program didnt pass me over the PD wrote my LOR and wants me at his program but knows I wont go there bc its no name community if i need the interview ill text him

Awesome to hear. Im basically screwed. Ive put an unbelievable amount of dedication into my application so that I had business applying to mid tier academic IM programs. ive been told by many people admins on here, advisors etc that my app is basically perfect/stellar. for this to happen is just truly disheartening. why would low and midtiers screen me out for yield protection? based on my app my chances statistically of failing step 2 (if thats what theyre worrying about with me not having step 2) is almost zero not sure why they wont interview me. sucks ass. And no my home program didnt pass me over the PD wrote my LOR and wants me at his program but knows I wont go there bc its no name community if i need the interview ill text him
Keep in mind, it’s still been only a week.

I agree with the previous poster. You will match academic IM. Im betting the lack of step 2 before apps goes out hurts. But doesn’t count you out of the game.

I was in a similar boat last year and waited weeks for an interview anywhere FWIW. I was not in any programs first wave of invites. Ended up at my top choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind, it’s still been only a week.

I agree with the previous poster. You will match academic IM. Im betting the lack of step 2 before apps goes out hurts. But doesn’t count you out of the game.

I was in a similar boat last year and waited weeks for an interview anywhere FWIW. I was not in any programs first wave of invites. Ended up at my top choice.
Did you not have Step 2 before apps going out either? I remember your Step 1 was high. I was just told by an intern who graduated last year who had similar app as me with high steps etc that he didnt get academic invites until late oct Nov and december and actually ended up matching his number 1 (Jeff Philly IM for a DO is crazy good) who didnt interview him until January so maybe I just need to be patient and study my ass off for CK while I wait these next couple of weeks maybe send some LOIs first week of November

Did you not have Step 2 before apps going out either? I remember your Step 1 was high. I was just told by an intern who graduated last year who had similar app as me with high steps etc that he didnt get academic invites until late oct Nov and december and actually ended up matching his number 1 (Jeff Philly IM for a DO is crazy good) who didnt interview him until January so maybe I just need to be patient and study my ass off for CK while I wait these next couple of weeks maybe send some LOIs first week of November
Yeah I did have it in before apps came out. But still had radio silence for a while. I also got my number one in January. So just showing it can work out great even if it doesn’t start out bangin’.

Keep in mind, this process is random AF. While again I agree that the lack of step 2 right out the gate will hurt a little, I sincerely doubt you’ll miss out on 50+ programs because of it.

If you haven’t been in the first wave of invites, reach out and try to be in the second wave. I guess you could look through last years spreadsheet to try to see how many rounds of invites they send out.

Mine was like:

“My name is X. Step 1 XXX, step 2 Taking on (whatever date). I applied to your program because…”

Keep it short and sweet. They are busy. But everyone acts like it’s a cardinal sin to reach out “too early.” Whatever. I don’t want to go to a program that DNRs you for expressing interest anyway. But that’s just me.

I put the step scores up front because that saves them from having to pull up your file only to find out that they screened you out based on numbers. I think when you don’t include the scores, they often assume that’s why you didn’t get the invite and don’t bother pulling up your app tbh.

Yeah I did have it in before apps came out. But still had radio silence for a while. I also got my number one in January. So just showing it can work out great even if it doesn’t start out bangin’.

Keep in mind, this process is random AF. While again I agree that the lack of step 2 right out the gate will hurt a little, I sincerely doubt you’ll miss out on 50+ programs because of it.

If you haven’t been in the first wave of invites, reach out and try to be in the second wave. I guess you could look through last years spreadsheet to try to see how many rounds of invites they send out.

Mine was like:

“My name is X. Step 1 XXX, step 2 Taking on (whatever date). I applied to your program because…”

Keep it short and sweet. They are busy. But everyone acts like it’s a cardinal sin to reach out “too early.” Whatever. I don’t want to go to a program that DNRs you for expressing interest anyway. But that’s just me.

I put the step scores up front because that saves them from having to pull up your file only to find out that they screened you out based on numbers. I think when you don’t include the scores, they often assume that’s why you didn’t get the invite and don’t bother pulling up your app tbh.
Thank you for this. Did you email the PD or the coordinator and did you have any success and get any IV's after sending LOI's?

Members don't see this ad :)

Mine was like:

Thanks a ton Hoov I appreciate it. My plan is to send out LOIs next monday if I hear silence rest of this week. Your post here was very helpful

Thanks a ton Hoov I appreciate it. My plan is to send out LOIs next monday if I hear silence rest of this week. Your post here was very helpful
Thank you for this. Did you email the PD or the coordinator and did you have any success and get any IV's after sending LOI's?
Happy to help guys. Just read the panic thread last year. We were all there too.

I always just emailed whoever was listed as the contact person in ERAS. My logic was that if they didn’t want to be contacted, they wouldn’t put their email there. If the PD gets all butthurt bc you contacted them instead of the coordinator when the PD is listed on there as the contact, then I don’t wanna work there anyway.

Yes I got invites from LOIs. I dealt with some screening based on geography because my school was in the Midwest but I’m from the northeast. So I got a couple of invites just from clearing that up. I had a PD from a top program personally email me to thank me for bringing it to her attention and to expect an interview later that day. 3 of the programs in my top 5 were invites from LOIs.

Just for transparency, I applied and matched rads. So I don’t want to mislead anyone into thinking I’m a master of IM applications or whatever. But I think the advice I’m giving at this early stage of the game is just basic etiquette combined with the nonsense that is applying as a DO. I think what I’ve said thus far is generalizable to any field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Do you believe your radio silence at first was because of yield protection? Or just being a DO applying to a more competitive field?
I think in my case it was some yield protection because I got the “prestigious” invites earlier. But anything here is really just a guess.

You guys do have to accept that as a DO, especially as an out of region DO who didn’t do an away there, you will hardly ever be in the first round of invites.

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping for an academic of some sort but applied fairly broadly to university and communiversity.

Step 1: 22X
Step 2: 23X
COMLEX 1 and 2 are both 450-500.
Otherwise fairly strong application including research and academic leadership.

Currently sitting on four interviews - three are university (two low one mid) and one is communiversity. I applied to 70 programs.

I deliberately avoided very high DO programs because of my trash COMLEX scores.

Hoping for an academic of some sort but applied fairly broadly to university and communiversity.

Currently sitting on four interviews - three are university (two low one mid) and one is communiversity. I applied to 70 programs.

Can i pm you to ask what university programs?

Where your university programs regional/in state?

Happy to help guys. Just read the panic thread last year. We were all there too.

I always just emailed whoever was listed as the contact person in ERAS. My logic was that if they didn’t want to be contacted, they wouldn’t put their email there. If the PD gets all butthurt bc you contacted them instead of the coordinator when the PD is listed on there as the contact, then I don’t wanna work there anyway.

Yes I got invites from LOIs. I dealt with some screening based on geography because my school was in the Midwest but I’m from the northeast. So I got a couple of invites just from clearing that up. I had a PD from a top program personally email me to thank me for bringing it to her attention and to expect an interview later that day. 3 of the programs in my top 5 were invites from LOIs.

Just for transparency, I applied and matched rads. So I don’t want to mislead anyone into thinking I’m a master of IM applications or whatever. But I think the advice I’m giving at this early stage of the game is just basic etiquette combined with the nonsense that is applying as a DO. I think what I’ve said thus far is generalizable to any field.
Thanks hoov! And you said it took more than 2 weeks for you to get invites correct? You said you didnt get any first wave?

Thanks hoov! And you said it took more than 2 weeks for you to get invites correct? You said you didnt get any first wave?
Zero first wave anywhere

Edit: accept where I did my away. Forgot about that one

What tier would you guys consider vcu? I just got a rejection from them and not sure if I should be surprised or not?

See
What tier would you guys consider vcu? I just got a rejection from them and not sure if I should be surprised or not?
very surprising considering your scores and research... I didn't apply there but this whole process sucks. Like how many 250 step 1 and 2 ++ people are applying to 100 places and hoarding interviews? Biggest downside to virtual interviews.

See

very surprising considering your scores and research... I didn't apply there but this whole process sucks. Like how many 250 step 1 and 2 ++ people are applying to 100 places and hoarding interviews? Biggest downside to virtual interviews.
=( Yeah that rejection definitely hurt...i thought I would be able to get an interview from them....yea at first I was happy about virtual interviews but now I realize how hurtful it is too ppl that don't have 250s in both step 1/2

For VCU i got an email saying my application is still being considered but theyve invited the first round of applicants. So i guess i didnt get rejected? whats this mean lol

=( Yeah that rejection definitely hurt...i thought I would be able to get an interview from them....yea at first I was happy about virtual interviews but now I realize how hurtful it is too ppl that don't have 250s in both step 1/2
I have 250+ and im still hurting so i think its more than board scores

but at least you didnt get rejected from VCU soo its still a good sign...im afraid that my rejection from VCU is a bad sign that ill get rejected from anywhere else that is more competitive than VCU...Im not sure how many academic programs are lower tier than vcu..

For LOI.. are you guys going to email the PD directly or the contact email that is on ERAS?

but at least you didnt get rejected from VCU soo its still a good sign...im afraid that my rejection from VCU is a bad sign that ill get rejected from anywhere else that is more competitive than VCU...Im not sure how many academic programs are lower tier than vcu..
VCU is not low tier. Its mid tier and thats not true people will get rejected from low tiers and get into mid tiers and vice versa its not an exact science

Last edited:
At this point I would have to say its a lack of step 2/comlex score, no sweat tho I think you will score a few interviews in the second "wave" and many more once your comlex level 2/step 2 comes in.

Look man. I’m not sure what to tell you. Programs are trying to recruit people and they will tell them whatever. Programs will also tell DOs they consider COMLEX when they 100% do not. IM or surgery is irrelevant.

The reality is that every DO should make themselves as competitive as possible, and that includes having a Step 2 score before apps go out. Time and time again those applicants simply do better in the match. You simply cannot give programs ANY reason to screen you out. I have been telling every DO applicant I can for years how important this is and every year some people want to believe it’s all overhyped.

At this point it is what it is. I have no doubt you will match, likely to a good academic program, but not having a score will (is) hurt you.
The problem is put an MD guy in @Deecee2DO shoes and they will for sure be having a lot of love from great places now even without having Step 2. That's the issue here. I know Step 2 will be heavily emphasized but to put that burden on DO students with strong apps just feels like a convenient way to side step the anti-DO bias.

• Love
At this point I would have to say its a lack of step 2/comlex score, no sweat tho I think you will score a few interviews in the second "wave" and many more once your comlex level 2/step 2 comes in.
I moved my Step 2 up so I should have my score posted by mid Nov. I should still be in the running by then right?

The problem is put an MD guy in @Deecee2DO shoes and they will for sure be having a lot of love from great places now even without having Step 2. That's the issue here. I know Step 2 will be heavily emphasized but to put that burden on DO students with strong apps just feels like a convenient way to side step the anti-DO bias.
Its pretty fd up honestly lol but im just putting up with the beatdown and theres nothing i can do about it. Its a sad phenomenon after all the work ive put in. Hopefully once my CK posts in Mid November things will start looking up but until then i am just going ham on CK studying to get my mind off this bs. Hoping once the first/second wave ends and the top tier MDs drop their safeties at the mid tiers ill start to get some love

Last edited:
What are considered low tiers?
Idk at this point bc honestly with no invites currently id be lucky to have a community invite haha ill shut my mouth about tiers until then. I honestly didnt realize how truly competitive academic IM is and i am seriously humbled by this interview season so far. Competition is fierce out there

Its pretty fd up honestly lol but im just putting up with the beatdown and theres nothing i can do about it. Its a sad phenomenon after all the work ive put in. Hopefully once my CK posts in Mid November things will start looking up but until then i am just going ham on CK studying to get my mind off this bs. Hoping once the first wave ends and the top tier MDs drop their safeties at the mid tiers ill start to get some love
Yeah idk, i'm hoping you'll nail it and land up in great places. I mean there's always that SDN possibility of some bizarre red flag somewhere but honestly i think that's very unlikely.

Yeah idk, i'm hoping you'll nail it and land up in great places. I mean there's always that SDN possibility of some bizarre red flag somewhere but honestly i think that's very unlikely.
Thanks man I appreciste it. Yeah i dont think theres a red flag I had my school look it over and my personal residency advisor. Also got a “hold were still interested” from VCU today when many got rejected so thats a decent sign i guess

Thanks man I appreciste it. Yeah i dont think theres a red flag I had my school look it over and my personal residency advisor. Also got a “hold were still interested” from VCU today when many got rejected so thats a decent sign i guess
what regions did u apply to?

Ehhh maybe but like someone mentioned before,there are programs that really don't consider USMD or DO without a step 2, there are plenty of MD's and DO's who have it and programs want be risk averse. I think even as a USMD he/she would have less invites. It's just messed up because the programs say "step 2 not required " but in reality they need it. It's just seems like a ploy used by them to get more apps and with the step 1 p/f change it's even more of an issue I guess.

Ehhh maybe but like someone mentioned before,there are programs that really don't consider USMD or DO without a step 2, there are plenty of MD's and DO's who have it and programs want be risk averse. I think even as a USMD he/she would have less invites. It's just messed up because the programs say "step 2 not required " but in reality they need it. It's just seems like a ploy used by them to get more apps and with the step 1 p/f change it's even more of an issue I guess.
Ive contacted numerous USMDs from the reddit thread without CK scores and they have anywhere between 3 and 12 invites academic interviews. One of them had a failed Step 1 with a retake and no CK this kid even has academic interviews which is even more disturbing and fd up. These programs are flat out cruel haha im honestly floored at how bad the anti-DO bias is but then again my DO friends with much much worse apps than me with Step 2 have academic invites. I guess the worst possible position to be in like @Ho0v-man said was to be a highly competitive DO applicant bc youre overqualified for the low tiers with yield protection and screened out of the top tiers just for being a DO. Moral of story is if you want academic IM as a DO be an avg applicant with a CK score or get a better MCAT score and go MD. I also dont understand how a program would want to be risk averse with someone with all honors on shelves and a 250+ Step 1 odds of that applicant straight up failing CK is zero aka there is zero risk for them

Last edited:
Ive contacted numerous USMDs from the reddit thread without CK scores and they have anywhere between 3 and 12 invites academic interviews. One of them had a failed Step 1 with a retake and no CK this kid even has academic interviews which is even more disturbing and fd up. These programs are flat out cruel haha im honestly floored at how bad the anti-DO bias is but then again my DO friends with much much worse apps than me with Step 2 have academic invites. I guess the worst possible position to be in like @Ho0v-man said was to be a highly competitive DO applicant bc youre overqualified for the low tiers with yield protection and screened out of the top tiers just for being a DO. Moral of story is if you want academic IM as a DO be an avg applicant with a CK score or get a better MCAT score and go MD. I also dont understand how a program would want to be risk averse with someone with all honors on shelves and a 250+ Step 1 odds of that applicant straight up failing CK is zero aka there is zero risk for them
This makes no sense though you should have gotten low tier and even 1-2 mid tier invites,(it's still early tho) I think the programs you applied to put more emphasis on step 2 and I think they just gave you a generic "we will consider you without a step 2" but in reality they have no reason to consider someone without a step 2 when there's thousands and thousands of apps from MD and DO with a step2, sure you are a top candidate and have a 250 step 1, but the fact that you don't have a step 2 would raise some eyebrows, the fact that some MD's have like 12 interviews without a CK could be bias or it could just be your terrible luck that the programs you targeted put more emphasis on CK this year. I also know DO's without a level 2 score yet who have gotten invites so it's a combo of being early in the cycle and just being unlucky with the programs you targeted.

This makes no sense though you should have gotten low tier and even 1-2 mid tier invites,(it's still early tho) I think the programs you applied to put more emphasis on step 2 and I think they just gave you a generic "we will consider you without a step 2" but in reality they have no reason to consider someone without a step 2 when there's thousands and thousands of apps from MD and DO with a step2, sure you are a top candidate and have a 250 step 1, but the fact that you don't have a step 2 would raise some eyebrows, the fact that some MD's have like 12 interviews without a CK could be bias or it could just be your terrible luck that the programs you targeted put more emphasis on CK this year. I also know DO's without a level 2 score yet who have gotten invites so it's a combo of being early in the cycle and just being unlucky with the programs you targeted.
I know it really makes zero sense haha i think most of the programs i targeted geographically with signaling and reguonal preference havent sent out a ton of invites or even at all yet some have but many have not. I targeted a lot of east coast NE and SE mid tiers and low tiers

I know it really makes zero sense haha i think most of the programs i targeted geographically with signaling and reguonal preference havent sent out a ton of invites or even at all yet some have but many have not. I targeted a lot of east coast NE and SE mid tiers and low tiers
Yea I haven't heard anything from low/mid tier from NE and even from the SE and SW most programs have been super regional or close or where I had ties to. Like I said it's very early, most people have less than 10 invites at this point, so it's not like not having a CK is hurting you a lot, it is a little bit but even with a CK score you may have not had as many interviews yet due to geography and the programs you targeted.

Yea I haven't heard anything from low/mid tier from NE and even from the SE and SW most programs have been super regional or close or where I had ties to. Like I said it's very early, most people have less than 10 invites at this point, so it's not like not having a CK is hurting you a lot, it is a little bit but even with a CK score you may have not had as many interviews yet due to geography and the programs you targeted.
My level 2 comes out at noon today so hopefully that will at least help get the ball rolling even a little. Its better to have a Level 2 than nothing i feel evem if many programs like CK

Do you have to report your MCAT for residency?