Any DOs here match Academic IM? If so, what were your stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1117200

I am interested in places like Penn State, Umass, Uconn, etc. I sadly only got a 228, but I hope to improve on step 2. I have a lot of research. The excel spreadsheet doest have much from DOs in terms of where they got interview invites. I want to do Cardiology obviously, but I have a list of 80 or so programs I want to apply to. Any guidance or advice is appreciated! Congratulations to everyone on the match, I hope you are all happy, and if you aren't don't worry, tomorrow is a new day. I know a lot of smart people who had to SOAP sadly, but they are going to be great docs regardless. I know others who reapplied this year after not matching last year, and got it. So dont give up and stay the path!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man I matched upper mid tier Academic IM today. Got a 230 step 1, 260 step 2. Research will help for sure. I actually ended up doing a research year which I feel like really helped me match at the place I ended up.

Feel free to DM me any questions or concerns

Reactions: 3 users
Matched at Mid tier ,had upper mid tier IM program invites... got 23x step 1 and 24x step 2.. had one publication...Agree with above, research will open doors at academic IM programs..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched upper mid tier academic IM, 230 step 1 and 260 step 2. Ton of research.

Reactions: 1 users
Matched at Mid tier ,had upper mid tier IM program invites... got 23x step 1 and 24x step 2.. had one publication...Agree with above, research will open doors at academic IM programs..
Thats good to know! Congratulations!! I should (hopefully) have 2-3 publications by the time ERAS rolls around but they are all in the works and being completed currently. I wont be first author on 2 of them, but those 2 are huge multi-year's worth of work basic science pubs in a non-internal med field. I am hoping that does some wonders for me, and hopefully if I can get 245+ on step 2 I will open some doors. Thank you for your help and advice, and congratulations!

Matched upper mid tier academic IM, 230 step 1 and 260 step 2. Ton of research.
Congratulations!! I'm aiming for a higher step 2, but this makes me feel better that if I can improve I havent closed a ton of doors with my 228. I have a lot of research experience but probably will only have 3 pubs by the time ERAS is out. What constitutes "a ton" of research? These are basic science pubs that took a ton of time. I probably should try and write up some more case reports if I can...

Congratulations!! I'm aiming for a higher step 2, but this makes me feel better that if I can improve I havent closed a ton of doors with my 228. I have a lot of research experience but probably will only have 3 pubs by the time ERAS is out. What constitutes "a ton" of research? These are basic science pubs that took a ton of time. I probably should try and write up some more case reports if I can...

I think 3 pubs is fine especially for basic science. Unfortunately research can only help so much. I think I didn't get invites at some top tier programs (ones that do interview DOs) because of my Step 1 even with a strong research background. I think you should be able to get interviews at upper and mid tier academic programs, definitely the low tier academic programs. Regional preference also plays a big role so its easier to get interviews in the area your med school is located or where you are from.

250+ Steps 1 and 2, 5 pubs, top 5-10% of med school class, all honors. Matched upper mid tier academic IM. interviewed at Vanderbilt, Yale, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Brown, Tulane and Dartmouth!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
SOAPed into mid-lower tier academic IM. Originally applied psychiatry but had a ton of oncology stuff in my apps. 230s Step 1 and 2. 1 pub, several posters/presentations from research year. 4th quartile of class. No honors.

Last edited:
SOAPed into mid-lower tier academic IM. Originally applied psychiatry but had a ton of oncology stuff in my apps. 230s Step 1 and 2. 1 pub, several posters/presentations from research year. 4th quartile of class. No honors.
Wow surprised that academic IM programs have SOAP spots

Shocked about this as well? I don't think mid tier IM had any spots
I saw someone online who SOAPed into the IM program at the Universtiy of Neveda Reno. Not sure if that program historically SOAPs or not.

I saw someone online who SOAPed into the IM program at the Universtiy of Neveda Reno. Not sure if that program historically SOAPs or not.
I think it might be that program. I don't think I would consider that mid tier. It's a new program.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCG is a strong program. def lower mid tier but mid tier for sure. did they really have unfilled spots? my buddy had them like second on his list and didnt match there he mustve been DNR???
That's crazy I don't know 🤷‍♀️. Someone from my school matched there. Maybe your buddy matched his #1?

That's crazy I don't know 🤷‍♀️. Someone from my school matched there. Maybe your buddy matched his #1?
lmao no hes a mess actually he matched his #9..yikes! I feel so horrible for him. I mean it could have been worse obviously since he matched but thats just interesting to think about

The lower S1 will close doors at T10 places, especially as a DO.

Bench research will help if you choose to pursue an PSTP which most DO's don't even know about and when they hear about the commitment immediately run away from it.

Yes, submit case reports, do retrospective chart reviews that you can pump out, and HAVE A GOOD RESEARCH MENTOR.

227 step 1 540 comlex here
1 pub, couple of posters, hopefully 2 more pubs before eras.... at least average letters (hopefully more once 4th year starts)

Am I good for academic IM even if I don't do an away there? (Taking step 2 in june)

1 pub, couple of posters, hopefully 2 more pubs before eras.... at least average letters (hopefully more once 4th year starts)

Am I good for academic IM even if I don't do an away there? (Taking step 2 in june)
Some low tier academic yes. I think if you can continue with pubs and get a higher Step 2 youll be good. Step 2 will be huge for you

Some low tier academic yes. I think if you can continue with pubs and get a higher Step 2 youll be good. Step 2 will be huge for you

Yeah agree 100% here. At this point the best thing you can do is do well on Step 2