Anyone here trying to match academic IM this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how much research helps for academic IM?

It depends on the program and what you are applying for as each academic IM program has different areas. Obviously research is important. But if you want to do more basic science research and interview at a place that has no labs then I think both of you will be aware it isn't a great fit.
Do you think programs care more for basic science vs clinical research? I’ve only done basic science research.

DOn't think it maters as long as you can articulate your research well. On the interview trail I was asked to briefly explain my research and you have to realize that you only get 5 maybe 10 minutes to do this so you have to be succinct and you have to show in that time that you are excited about the findings and that you can even provide a "next steps" sort of picture to it.
You nailed it. Yale def T25, Dartmouth not T25, and I had no idea UTSW had DOs on roster (good to know I actually may chuck an app there now that you said this).
Surprisingly, that DO at UTSW is also in the physician scientist training pathway which is incredibly competitive since you are also pre-matching into your fellowship of choice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My SO already got 10+ interviews for pathology(all academic programs) debating whether I should reach out to the IM programs at those hospitals to let them know we are couples matching

Anyone here apply to University of Illinois and got an interview? I saw on the IM google sheet that they sent out invites (including to DO applicants).

Members don't see this ad :)
My SO already got 10+ interviews for pathology(all academic programs) debating whether I should reach out to the IM programs at those hospitals to let them know we are couples matching
Yes. Right away. You MUST be proactive for couples matching

Reactions: 1 users
Idk if this is helpful but just received my second academic II for internal med. Mostly just adding this for anyone in the future who searches "academic IM DO" in the future or something on here lol.

Edit: Both interviews in regions I signaled. Neither is a program I specifically signaled.

Idk if this is helpful but just received my second academic II for internal med. Mostly just adding this for anyone in the future who searches "academic IM DO" in the future or something on here lol.

Edit: Both interviews in regions I signaled. Neither is a program I specifically signaled.
Do you mind sharing your stats? I am concerned about my step 1 scorez

Is anyone here starting to panic about interviews?!… I saw online that there were no more interview dates at some of the academic IM programs that I thought I would get an interview at =(

Is anyone here starting to panic about interviews?!… I saw online that there were no more interview dates at some of the academic IM programs that I thought I would get an interview at =(
While there are definitely programs that fill all of their spots at once, there are also programs that open up more dates as the cycle progresses and they get through more apps. Also, even if a program fills early on, people will start to withdraw/decline through the cycle and it can open up spots. You can always look at prior spreadsheets to see how a specific program has sent out invites in the past.

It’s a very small minority of programs though and some people do cancel. It’s only been a week

anyone applying academic IM with no academic IM letter.. only have an academic oncology letter

anyone applying academic IM with no academic IM letter.. only have an academic oncology letter
I doubt this is a huge deal.. especially with covid. I have a chair/department letter from my school who is a PD as well, so I guess academic lol, last year per the IM spreadsheet many academic places were still giving out IV’s in December, so I think it’s way too early to start panicking

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my second academic IM interview as a DO, mid-low tier? program in the region of my Med school.

This is a good test to see any anti-DO bias in play because a 250+/all honors/research/strong ECs should effectively practically sweep academic IM.
Im witnessing the bias as we speak-sitting on zero invites right now and applied to 63 programs haha I must have some crazy red flag I didn't know about fml

• Sad
Im witnessing the bias as we speak-sitting on zero invites right now and applied to 63 programs haha I must have some crazy red flag I didn't know about fml
Sorry man that sucks it's still early in the grand scheme of things. I am sure you will get yours.

• Care
i applied to 115 programs ( just added 8 more) and only have 2 iv… i basically applied to every single academic program… sucks to see USMD with lower step scores get 7+ interviews
Yea idk man we have to just wait longer for ours....

I have heard that upper mid tier places send invites to DO's later and step 2 def matters we just have to wait, most places don't even have dates past December so no way all the spots are out less than 2 weeks in.

did u apply to any IS programs? Seems like regional preference is kind of important this year
Yea and early on many of the interviews are regional as well, I think they will expand more geographically as the weeks go by.. send LOI's in a week though, it can't hurt.

At this point I think its not having a Step 2 or Comlex level 2 score because I can't think of any other reason

But they literally say you don't need it though....
Unfortunately I can guarantee you it’s the lack of a Step 2….

The not needing Step 2 thing is only really applicable to MDs and even then it’s diminishing.

The not needing Step 2 thing is only really applicable to MDs and even then it’s diminishing.
How do you know this for sure? You also dont know my app. My professional residency advisor and multiple admins on here told me I wouldnt need one because my app is strong enough on top of having a high Step 1 (mid 250s). Also every program I applied to i contacted and made sure they interview without Step 2 score

Last edited:

I have it, but didn't think it would be that damaging if step 1 is high.

At this point I think its not having a Step 2 or Comlex level 2 score because I can't think of any other reason
people reported last year that interviews started rolling in when they reported Step 2. They said to have your Step 2 score ASAP to avoid the stress.

This was discuss on last year's ERAS Panic Thread. people started getting interviews once they submitted Step 2 last year. Made a note to my self to make sure I take Step 2 before I apply so I will not suffer throught what Deecee and others are dealing with. I am currently an M2, but learning from what you all are going through.

Last edited:
How do you know this for sure? You also dont know my app. My professional residency advisor and multiple admins on here told me I wouldnt need one because my app is strong enough on top of having a high Step 1 (mid 250s). Also every program I applied to i contacted and made sure they interview without Step 2 score

I have it, but didn't think it would be that damaging if step 1 is high.
I mean, y’all can doubt it if you want, but I have seen how my program approaches applications. I also saw a stark difference last year in how people who had a Step 1 and 2 got more interviews and earlier interviews than those that didn’t. I know someone who was asked why they hadn’t taken Step 2 yet and how they almost weren’t given an interview because of it, this was in the interview with a PD.

All anecdotal sure, but I’ve seen enough of it to see a clear pattern. This has also been echoed all over the Reddit sheets and on the ERAS panic threads on SDN…

I mean, y’all can doubt it if you want, but I have seen how my program approaches applications. I also saw a stark difference last year in how people who had a Step 1 and 2 got more interviews and earlier interviews than those that didn’t. I know someone who was asked why they hadn’t taken Step 2 yet and how they almost weren’t given an interview because of it, this was in the interview with a PD.
All anecdotal sure, but I’ve seen enough of it to see a clear pattern. This has also been echoed all over the Reddit sheets and on the ERAS panic threads on SDN…
Even with people with high step 1 and strong apps?

Did you see if any of the places you applied to started sending out interviews yet?
A few but not a ton
people reported last year that interviews started rolling in when they reported Step 2. They said to have your Step 2 score ASAP to avoid the stress.

This was discuss on last year's ERAS Panic Thread. people started getting interviews once they submitted Step 2 last year. Made a note to my self to make sure I take Step 2 before I apply so I will not suffer throught what Deecee and others are dealing with. I am currently an M2, but learning from what you all are going through.
Yeah but did these same people have really strong apps with high step 1? You cant put everyone without a step 2 in one basket

A few but not a ton

Yeah but did these same people have really strong apps with high step 1? You cant put everyone without a step 2 in one basket
If most of the places you applied to havent even sent out interviews then I am sure you will be fine

I really wish programs will send out rejections… some of the programs I applied to have sent out mass invites.. not sure if that means for sure I have no chance (kind of sucks bc some of the places I thought I would most likely get an interview)

If most of the places you applied to havent even sent out interviews then I am sure you will be fine

I really wish programs will send out rejections… some of the programs I applied to have sent out mass invites.. not sure if that means for sure I have no chance (kind of sucks bc some of the places I thought I would most likely get an interview)
About 15 of the programs that I applied to sent out invites already and many of them to DOs

About 15 of the programs that I applied to sent out invites already and many of them to DOs
Maybe they have connections to those programs…

Man I thought i thought I had a decent shot at low academic programs …. seems like I needed to have 250 in both step 1 and step 2 to be competitive

Maybe they have connections to those programs…

Man I thought i thought I had a decent shot at low academic programs …. seems like I needed to have 250 in both step 1 and step 2 to be competitive
Naw you definitely have a shot on the reddit sheet the DOs who got invites at some of these places had sub 250s/260s steps. I am not sure what is going on with my application but its really freaking me out

Naw you definitely have a shot on the reddit sheet the DOs who got invites at some of these places had sub 250s/260s steps. I am not sure what is going on with my application but its really freaking me out
My step 1 is only 231 which is why I’m worried…my step 2 is competitive but not sure how much that will help

Even with people with high step 1 and strong apps?

A few but not a ton

Yes, even with strong apps and high scores….

DOs need a Step 2 before apps go out.

Well according to several of the posters above Step 2 matters and I don't have a score so I think you are in good shape
When does your score come out? Do you have Level 2?

There some programs I applied to that seem pretty DO friendly and specifically say we only need comlex scores.. soo I’m hoping my comlex scores will kind of help me too

When does your score come out? Do you have Level 2?

There some programs I applied to that seem pretty DO friendly and specifically say we only need comlex scores.. soo I’m hoping my comlex scores will kind of help me too
My level 2 score comes out Friday and I am taking Step 2 The first week of November so I probably wont get my score until Late November or first week of December

My level 2 score comes out Friday and I am taking Step 2 The first week of November so I probably wont get my score until Late November or first week of December
hm I still think you should be fine.. like maybe some programs wont interview you bc of no step 2 but theres no way every single program thinks that way.. esp when its written on their website..

Also, I think the level 2 score should help too

hm I still think you should be fine.. like maybe some programs wont interview you bc of no step 2 but theres no way every single program thinks that way.. esp when its written on their website..

Also, I think the level 2 score should help too
Yeah I mean I hope so its pretty disheartening that I worked so hard to make put such a strong app together to get such a beatdown for no reason. I mean i dont understand why programs wouldn't interview me without a Step 2 it makes no sense to me

Yes. I do know multiple surgery programs that won’t interview anyone without a Step 2, MD or DO.
I am applying IM not surgery, I also called 63 of my programs in August and September and asked specifically about their position on Step 2 needed for interview consideration and all of them except 1 or 2 said no need for Step 2 only for rank list in Feb after specifically telling them that I am a USDO

I am applying IM not surgery, I also called 63 of my programs in August and September and asked specifically about their position on Step 2 needed for interview consideration and all of them except 1 or 2 said no need for Step 2 only for rank list in Feb after specifically telling them that I am a USDO
Look man. I’m not sure what to tell you. Programs are trying to recruit people and they will tell them whatever. Programs will also tell DOs they consider COMLEX when they 100% do not. IM or surgery is irrelevant.

The reality is that every DO should make themselves as competitive as possible, and that includes having a Step 2 score before apps go out. Time and time again those applicants simply do better in the match. You simply cannot give programs ANY reason to screen you out. I have been telling every DO applicant I can for years how important this is and every year some people want to believe it’s all overhyped.

At this point it is what it is. I have no doubt you will match, likely to a good academic program, but not having a score will (is) hurt you.

Reactions: 2 users
Look man. I’m not sure what to tell you. Programs are trying to recruit people and they will tell them whatever. Programs will also tell DOs they consider COMLEX when they 100% do not. IM or surgery is irrelevant.

The reality is that every DO should make themselves as competitive as possible, and that includes having a Step 2 score before apps go out. Time and time again those applicants simply do better in the match. You simply cannot give programs ANY reason to screen you out. I have been telling every DO applicant I can for years how important this is and every year some people want to believe it’s all overhyped.

At this point it is what it is. I have no doubt you will match, likely to a good academic program, but not having a score will (is) hurt you.
Totally agree. It may also be the trap of being a DO with too good of an app. It’s an awesome phenomenon of low/low-mid tier programs screening you out for yield protection AND higher tier programs screening you out because you’re a DO. It’s fun stuff.

Only thing that might concern me of a real red flag is if your home program passed you over.

Reactions: 2 users