Any African American women on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hell yeah it's more graphic than Bleach! Bleach is my #1 favorite show so don't trash it!
Squidbillies is just asking to kill brain cells... I hate that show, but will watch it as a last resort to boredom. I think the difference is Squidbillies is less sexually explicit, and that's mostly what I have trouble with. Not to mention all the B* words and N* flying around lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hell yeah it's more graphic than Bleach! Bleach is my #1 favorite show so don't trash it!
Squidbillies is just asking to kill brain cells... I hate that show, but will watch it as a last resort to boredom. I think the difference is Squidbillies is less sexually explicit, and that's mostly what I have trouble with. Not to mention all the B* words and N* flying around lol

I love Bleach too!! I used to watch it online.... Then I got tired of the plot... You know Ichigo is going to beat the crap out of Aizen?

You watch The Boondocks??

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweetheart I have finished every single episode of Bleach that has been released. I watched all the English episodes, then went on and watched all the un-dubbed (Japanese only) episodes lol. I am a loser when it comes to anime haha. No one I know in real life would ever peg me for an anime watcher. :cool:

Sweetheart I have finished every single episode of Bleach that has been released. I watched all the English episodes, then went on and watched all the un-dubbed (Japanese only) episodes lol. I am a loser when it comes to anime haha. No one I know in real life would ever peg me for an anime watcher. :cool:

Lmao! Same here! I just started watching Evangelion...reminds me of Gundam and Escaflowne lol

Lmao! Same here! I just started watching Evangelion...reminds me of Gundam and Escaflowne lol

You watching that online? Just tried to find it on Netflix, not there, was a longshot. If it's like Gundam I am sure I would like it. I've been trying out a couple older shows but nothing "fits" recently

I haven't watched any of those shows. Maybe one day I'll have some extra time.

You watching that online? Just tried to find it on Netflix, not there, was a longshot. If it's like Gundam I am sure I would like it. I've been trying out a couple older shows but nothing "fits" recently

A few of the movies are on YouTube.

I haven't watched any of those shows. Maybe one day I'll have some extra time.

Yea they lost me too lol.

The only thing I watch regularly is Scandal and Revenge.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen either of those. I watch Adult Swim in the night, if it's daytime I am always watching crime related tv. My current obsession is the Jodi Arias trial.

Scandal is ish!! lol I hate that they have these 3 week breaks in between episodes though

I swear being poor always comes back to bite me in the ass

I'm looking into MD/PhD as well. What field are you all considering getting your PHDs in?

Make sure it is something you really, really, really want ;)

I'm thinking of neuroscience or pharmacology possibly even something public health/policy related. I'm open to learning about the options available at schools I like.

I was once interested in MD/PhD. I was researching for 3 years straight, including summers. Yet, I did not publish :mad:

I'll be going to SC in August! Would be nice to see you around. How is the AUC?

I am a SC Alumna. I graduated cum laude, Chemistry from the Honors Program. If you have any questions just let me know. I was pretty beastly at SC. I've been outside of the country for two years teaching English through the Fulbright program :).

I watch Scandal too

Me too! What are your thoughts on the Olitz relationship? I think Liv should have went with Edison because he treated her really well.

Scandal is ish!! lol I hate that they have these 3 week breaks in between episodes though

Can you imagine waiting helplessly for Scandal in a different country? I have to watch it on Friday. Plus, I am not on fb anymore thank goodness!

I swear being poor always comes back to bite me in the ass

What do you mean? I am pretty low class myself, but what happened?

Make sure it is something you really, really, really want ;)

I was once interested in MD/PhD. I was researching for 3 years straight, including summers. Yet, I did not publish :mad:

That sucks! That is a long time, why did you change your mind?

I am a SC Alumna. I graduated cum laude, Chemistry from the Honors Program. If you have any questions just let me know. I was pretty beastly at SC. I've been outside of the country for two years teaching English through the Fulbright program :).

Oh wow that's awesome!

Oh wow that's awesome!

Thanks :). I changed because I can do the same thing with only a MD than a MD-PhD. Also, I think as a MD-PhD you are pretty much pigeon-holed into your own field. Are you interested in running your own lab?

I know that I was not interested in running my own lab and I wanted to have children. I don't want to be an old fowl. I am already 25 years old and not in medical school yet. Are you interested in seeing patients majority of your time?

I was interested in seeing patients 90% of the time.

My personality is Type A and according to Meyers-Briggs I am an ENTJ. With my personality it was very hard to concentrate in the lab for a long period of time because I hate being in a quiet, concentrated environment just doing experiments. Now, I love working a Merck and with people. I prefer translational or clinical medicine instead of basic science.

I was pretty heavy into it and I went to a lot of conferences for MD-PhD, but I decided to drop it. I was pretty competitive for it as well, but it was not for me. I am honest with myself and know what I want. It may seem glamorous and all but it's not. I think there is not a lot of support for African-Americans and it's pretty hard to find someone who is genuine. You have to hit a powerhouse to fully get recognized. My Morehouse brothers are getting their PhDs at Harvard, Hopkins and Cornell and they love it, BUT they said it's hard.

Lastly, I fear not being completely competent in my field and how do I know that this ish actually works. There are people who are constantly researching on the same thing you are researching on, it's only a matter of time before they publish before you. That was my fear as well. Also, what if you reach down the road and realize that this ish does not work and you were doing something wrong. I heard horrible stories. I met two AA female who dropped out of MD-PhD. I am still friends with one of them and things like that. Plus, do you really want to be old and a student forever.

Let's talk about the amount of years it will take. We know medicine will take 8 to 10 years including residency, but PhD is up in the air. It depends on your board and things like that. Like, I said what if you have a messed up mentor who wants you as his slave o_O, then what? Also, it depends what specialty you want? I can do the same thing by attending a powerhouse research institution and still match better than a MD-PhD student.

I was accepted to a pretty great school....given an awesome scholarship..... But I can't afford to relocate and I don't have a car.....

Take out loans :D. At least you can drive. I don't have my license :(, but at least I am from the best state in the world :smuggrin: I don't need a car :naughty:

Thanks :). I changed because I can do the same thing with only a MD than a MD-PhD. Also, I think as a MD-PhD you are pretty much pigeon-holed into your own field. Are you interested in running your own lab?

I know that I was not interested in running my own lab and I wanted to have children. I don't want to be an old fowl. I am already 25 years old and not in medical school yet. Are you interested in seeing patients majority of your time?

I was interested in seeing patients 90% of the time.

My personality is Type A and according to Meyers-Briggs I am an ENTJ. With my personality it was very hard to concentrate in the lab for a long period of time because I hate being in a quiet, concentrated environment just doing experiments. Now, I love working a Merck and with people. I prefer translational or clinical medicine instead of basic science.

I was pretty heavy into it and I went to a lot of conferences for MD-PhD, but I decided to drop it. I was pretty competitive for it as well, but it was not for me. I am honest with myself and know what I want. It may seem glamorous and all but it's not. I think there is not a lot of support for African-Americans and it's pretty hard to find someone who is genuine. You have to hit a powerhouse to fully get recognized. My Morehouse brothers are getting their PhDs at Harvard, Hopkins and Cornell and they love it, BUT they said it's hard.

Lastly, I fear not being completely competent in my field and how do I know that this ish actually works. There are people who are constantly researching on the same thing you are researching on, it's only a matter of time before they publish before you. That was my fear as well. Also, what if you reach down the road and realize that this ish does not work and you were doing something wrong. I heard horrible stories. I met two AA female who dropped out of MD-PhD. I am still friends with one of them and things like that. Plus, do you really want to be old and a student forever.

Let's talk about the amount of years it will take. We know medicine will take 8 to 10 years including residency, but PhD is up in the air. It depends on your board and things like that. Like, I said what if you have a messed up mentor who wants you as his slave o_O, then what? Also, it depends what specialty you want? I can do the same thing by attending a powerhouse research institution and still match better than a MD-PhD student.

-All of my professors that I have discussed the options with think it would be a good fit for me. Yes I would love to run my own lab, and I already have children and am married so I don't have to go through the "search for a mate" but I do know it will take a lot of time from my family life. I think it is worth it though. I want to do clinical research, but I also like basic science as well.
I would like to see patients of course, but I could live with 50/50, plus I am interested in psychiatry so that is definitely more of a flexible schedule type deal. (Also neuro too: mental disorders like schiz, parkinson, sleep disorders, alzheimer's etc VERY interested) I want to do research in behavioral neuroscience, and I also want to do neuro/behavioral pharmacology (through a PhD not PharmD of course!)

Basically my dream is to not only discover the science and mechanisms behind it all, but then apply it by treating patients etc etc. My ideal life would be lab and practice,...clinical trials etc I want to change public mental health, and change the attitudes towards psychiatry as well. Too many of our treatments have no definitive answers behind them. Working from the biological basis of behavior, and then be able to treat patients would be fulfilling to me.

-I have no fear regarding who will publish before me or what have you, that's life, there is always going to be competition. I am not going to steer away from something I want because I fear that someone may be thinking what I am thinking. What if no one is (very unlikely) but anyways I would not dare inhibit/deprive myself from knowledge.

-Length of time, 8 years of school, 4 years of residency, I am not afraid of that. As I said I have already accomplished what I wanted as far as family life, 12 years from now my son will be going into high school (sounds like perfect timing to me :D but anyways some of the people I look up to most have been lifetime learners. I don't think being a student for a long time is necessarily a deal breaker, it's hard yes, but it is achievable, I want achievement.

There are a couple other reasons too, but the response is long enough as it is. Basically I want to go for it, if I don't make it so be it, but I would regret for the rest of my life if I didn't try.

Congrats! I graduated from SC in December. It will be what you make it but I loved my experience there. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

I'll be going to SC in August! Would be nice to see you around. How is the AUC?

I was accepted to a pretty great school....given an awesome scholarship..... But I can't afford to relocate and I don't have a car.....
Are you working right now? Or can you work in the summer before moving? If you get a summer job and save up some money that could cover relocation costs. I originally wanted to just bum it this summer but I realized that it's not the best idea because I may need the money for the 1st months rent/furniture/flight/etc. I am starting to apply for summer jobs this month so hopefully I will have something soon after graduation and have some money racked up by the end of the summer.

In terms of a car do you really need one? Is the public transportation not that great? If you were to get on campus housing or a place close to the camps/hospital would a car still be necessary? I feel like if you get close enough to fellow classmates you could ask a ride for other travels like the grocery store or something.

This should hold you off until you get your school financial aid/loans which is inevitable.

Me too! What are your thoughts on the Olitz relationship? I think Liv should have went with Edison because he treated her really well.

I totally agree! My friends never agree with me, I guess they think I'm being to critical. The whole adultery thing just rubs me the wrong way lol. I was still lowkey routing for them, until he made that rude comment after the scene in that IT room :laugh:.

What expense specifically has you worried? Can you do the summer job thing? I know I have to work this summer to afford my cross country move.

What expense specifically has you worried? Can you do the summer job thing? I know I have to work this summer to afford my cross country move.

The relocation expense, deposit for apt, and a car.... Fml

-All of my professors that I have discussed the options with think it would be a good fit for me. Yes I would love to run my own lab, and I already have children and am married so I don't have to go through the "search for a mate" but I do know it will take a lot of time from my family life. I think it is worth it though. I want to do clinical research, but I also like basic science as well.
I would like to see patients of course, but I could live with 50/50, plus I am interested in psychiatry so that is definitely more of a flexible schedule type deal. (Also neuro too: mental disorders like schiz, parkinson, sleep disorders, alzheimer's etc VERY interested) I want to do research in behavioral neuroscience, and I also want to do neuro/behavioral pharmacology (through a PhD not PharmD of course!)

Basically my dream is to not only discover the science and mechanisms behind it all, but then apply it by treating patients etc etc. My ideal life would be lab and practice,...clinical trials etc I want to change public mental health, and change the attitudes towards psychiatry as well. Too many of our treatments have no definitive answers behind them. Working from the biological basis of behavior, and then be able to treat patients would be fulfilling to me.

-I have no fear regarding who will publish before me or what have you, that's life, there is always going to be competition. I am not going to steer away from something I want because I fear that someone may be thinking what I am thinking. What if no one is (very unlikely) but anyways I would not dare inhibit/deprive myself from knowledge.

-Length of time, 8 years of school, 4 years of residency, I am not afraid of that. As I said I have already accomplished what I wanted as far as family life, 12 years from now my son will be going into high school (sounds like perfect timing to me :D but anyways some of the people I look up to most have been lifetime learners. I don't think being a student for a long time is necessarily a deal breaker, it's hard yes, but it is achievable, I want achievement.

There are a couple other reasons too, but the response is long enough as it is. Basically I want to go for it, if I don't make it so be it, but I would regret for the rest of my life if I didn't try.

If this is something you really want to do and you thought HARD and LONG about it, then do it! Make sure you have a lot of research experiences and that you are able to write the two PS that are required from you. My research mentor was not going to write me a letter of recommendation because she felt like I did not really like research. Honestly, looking back at it now, I didn't really like research :). I just did it because I was competitive for every research opportunity and I got a lot of money for it :laugh:. But then again, I was a chemistry major, so the research is kind of different than Bio. If I was a Bio major I will probably love that better, I will never know.

It will be hard to balance out a lab and being a physician 50/50/ Actually, they will ask you that during the interview. There is nepotism and a hierarchy in research. You have to publish in well noted publications to be noticed as an AA female, especially if you want to win some grant money. I mean if someone is publishing before you, then that will be hard to accomplish, especially if you are a grad student who wants to graduate. It's a cutthroat field and if can handle it then that's great. I didn't want to deal with the shenanigans because I know that I wanted to see patients 90% of my time and I didn't need a PhD to accomplish what I want to do. Again, they will ask you about that 50/50 plan and see where you want to go with this. Also, they will ask you what kind of work environment and place you want to work in and how will you mange your lab. Did you talk to a MD-PhD AA female and male student? Not someone who already has their degree.

It's not 8 years of school, because it all depends on your project, so give and take 4 to 6 years for research. Ideally, you want to finish in 4 years but sometimes you can't, so it will be 12 to 14 years of schooling. You are already settled with a husband and a child a lot of us are not settled. Do you really want to sacrifice that many years as a student and then not being able to start your 401K or retire before you are 70 years old? I am not trying to dissuade you in any shape or form, I just want to make sure that you REALLY REALLY REALLY want this. Make sure there is NO doubt in your mind. Absolutely make sure this is the right move.

What does your husband say because you will be pretty dependent on him for quite some time? Also, there is a difference applying to MTSP programs and regular MD-PhD programs as well. I think next year you should attend the SNMA Conference in DC because then you will meet some students.

Are you still in undergrad and what year are you in?

I totally agree! My friends never agree with me, I guess they think I'm being to critical. The whole adultery thing just rubs me the wrong way lol. I was still lowkey routing for them, until he made that rude comment after the scene in that IT room :laugh:.

I know she makes black women look so weak and pathetic. She is a side dish on the show and I don't like it one bit! In the first season, she had this powerful presence and now she is not as apparent as before. I look forward to Mellie and Cyrus all the time. Honestly, I can relate more to Mellie than Olivia. Mellie is a pitbull and Cyrus is a Bengali Tiger. They are too BEASTLY and I LOVE IT!

What's up with Shonda and this mini 3 weeks vacation though? She is doing the MOST with these breaks!

Okay that was a long post and I am on my phone so I will try to be brief!
-No I haven't talk to any AA student of MD-PhD students, I don't know any actually. I have gotten advice from non AAs though.
- I know a few professors who balance their practice, research, and teaching a course. I hope to get closer with them as mentor. There is one in particular who completely models what I want, and he likes me! Even wrote me a recommendation that got me two scholarships and into an honor society
-I already have a 401k and IRA that I have been contributing the maximum to in preparation, husband has two as well one with maxes employer match too. Also invested some money for just in case.
- my husband is pushing me to do it more than anyone else, I explained the situation of what it will be like but he is up for the challenge.
-this is my second semester as a freshman!
- I will definitely attend the conference, no reason not to.
-I have my first REAL research lined up with a cognitive neuroscience lab next semester. I think it will be fun, because it is really something I am interested in.

If I can execute my plan for undergrad, which I have no doubt that I will, I will go for it. And I know your not trying to dissuade, your just trying to help me understand fully, and I appreciate that a lot.

Okay that was a long post and I am on my phone so I will try to be brief!
-No I haven't talk to any AA student of MD-PhD students, I don't know any actually. I have gotten advice from non AAs though.
- I know a few professors who balance their practice, research, and teaching a course. I hope to get closer with them as mentor. There is one in particular who completely models what I want, and he likes me! Even wrote me a recommendation that got me two scholarships and into an honor society
-I already have a 401k and IRA that I have been contributing the maximum to in preparation, husband has two as well one with maxes employer match too. Also invested some money for just in case.
- my husband is pushing me to do it more than anyone else, I explained the situation of what it will be like but he is up for the challenge.
-this is my second semester as a freshman!
- I will definitely attend the conference, no reason not to.
-I have my first REAL research lined up with a cognitive neuroscience lab next semester. I think it will be fun, because it is really something I am interested in.

If I can execute my plan for undergrad, which I have no doubt that I will, I will go for it. And I know your not trying to dissuade, your just trying to help me understand fully, and I appreciate that a lot.

Talk to some AA MD-PhD students and see what is up. You can call up medical schools and ask to speak to the MD-PhD coordinator and see if they can get in touch with some of their students.

You should attend the ABRCMS conference this year and start networking.

SNAM Conference is really fun and it will be in DC next year, April 14th :). I will be there!

You just started and you're practically a baby in this. My words of advice is to apply to Goldwater scholarship and UNCF/Merck Undergraduate Scholarship. I am a winner of the Merck scholarship but I didn't find out about the Goldwater until after the fact :(

That's great that you found a mentor but he is a male. Try to find a female and see how that works. Men will have a completely different lifestyle than a women.

If you don't mind me asking what is your hubby profession and how old is your child? I know you mention your child before. I mean you are already settled and things like that. He's up to the challenge now, but you're not close as of yet. It will be a different story when you enter into medical school. I hope his views stay the same because it will be a long time from now. You have 3 more years of undergrad. You have a long time ahead of you. You can work on making yourself SUPER competitive. I didn't have anyone to advise me, I pretty much advise myself :).

You are going to take the new MCAT in 2015, make sure you are prepared for that because that is the deal breaker. You need a 32+ MCAT and a 3.5 GPA to be looked upon.

What are you doing for the summer though?

Talk to some AA MD-PhD students and see what is up. You can call up medical schools and ask to speak to the MD-PhD coordinator and see if they can get in touch with some of their students.

You should attend the ABRCMS conference this year and start networking.

SNAM Conference is really fun and it will be in DC next year, April 14th :). I will be there!

You just started and you're practically a baby in this. My words of advice is to apply to Goldwater scholarship and UNCF/Merck Undergraduate Scholarship. I am a winner of the Merck scholarship but I didn't find out about the Goldwater until after the fact :(

That's great that you found a mentor but he is a male. Try to find a female and see how that works. Men will have a completely different lifestyle than a women.

If you don't mind me asking what is your hubby profession and how old is your child? I know you mention your child before. I mean you are already settled and things like that. He's up to the challenge now, but you're not close as of yet. It will be a different story when you enter into medical school. I hope his views stay the same because it will be a long time from now. You have 3 more years of undergrad. You have a long time ahead of you. You can work on making yourself SUPER competitive. I didn't have anyone to advise me, I pretty much advise myself :).

You are going to take the new MCAT in 2015, make sure you are prepared for that because that is the deal breaker. You need a 32+ MCAT and a 3.5 GPA to be looked upon.

What are you doing for the summer though?

-I'll try to find some, and attend as many conferences as possible too! :)
-My husband works in a financial institution, mid-management, grad program next fall, prob continuing with his company after degree just higher up, or finding a new job! lol.
-I prefer not to say specific age as my anonymity is already crumbling haha, but not yet preschool age.
-I am in the early stages. But that's because of my late start, (immigrant status) but in those two years I worked my ass off, researched every single path before I came to this decision. Of course there is still much to learn as each year passes, and I will continue to work.

-The new MCAT will likely work in my favor, I am a Psychology & PHNB major (dual degree not double major) so pretty much covers all grounds. (Plus not to toot my own horn but I am also extremely good at Verbal/Lang/Lit: scored a 5 on both AP Lit & AP Lang though I didn't take either course, did 300 & 400 level english this year, and will continue taking each year, which will most likely be graduate level, since this semester I took the senior capstone course and have a 98+% in the class so far.) Area of weakness is prob Physics, but working on it. Have a 4.0.

-This summer I am shadowing a Psychiatrist, a psychologist (because she is working with adolescents), and volunteering at Georgetown Hospital. But it will also be my last summer working full-time, as of next semester I am dialing back on my job. I have worked really hard the past few years and I think it is ready to be a turnkey business, so I can put in less hours than I do now.
-I'll also be running my first marathon so a lot of time is focused on training, but like I said this is my last summer for fun things, in my opinion, the lab I'll be in next year wants a lot of time so.
-And I think he is def up to the challenge, it will be hard but as far as the time, we've been working with that now with my 50+ hr work week, school, training, and everything else.

Last edited:
AA male here saying what's up guys. Just thought I would swing by and add to the thread. "Dick" (lol) I understand exactly what you are going through. I had to sell my car to go to my last Interview at USC, where ironically people say you need a car in LA :mad: Also where in ATL do you live, I see you went to GSU, I went to Emory.

AA male here saying what's up guys. Just thought I would swing by and add to the thread. "Dick" (lol) I understand exactly what you are going through. I had to sell my car to go to my last Interview at USC, where ironically people say you need a car in LA :mad: Also where in ATL do you live, I see you went to GSU, I went to Emory.

Right now, I stay in Lithonia ( the hood) lol. What about you?

Dick I'm sorry about what's going on.

Maybe you should start something on startup.com (I think that's the url?) I mean a plenty people use it for stuff like sending their kids to camp etc. It will be, help a young black male change his future for the better and become a role model for a generation! I would donate to that!!

That's crazy! Now you need to buy another car :(. You should have moved to NY,

I thought Atlanta is the hood. It's still not as hood as Brooklyn though. I wish it was though, so Brooklyn wouldn't have such a bad rep :(

dick i'm sorry about what's going on.

Maybe you should start something on startup.com (i think that's the url?) i mean a plenty people use it for stuff like sending their kids to camp etc. It will be, help a young black male change his future for the better and become a role model for a generation! I would donate to that!!

+1

I thought Atlanta is the hood. It's still not as hood as Brooklyn though. I wish it was though, so Brooklyn wouldn't have such a bad rep :(

My cousins live in Brooklyn!...I never been though

Lurker for a while...first post. AA female here, single and no children, was active duty military for six years. Finished me enlistment, now in school full-time as a Biology major planning to apply to med school around 2015.

I stay in College park (the real hood lol) But that's dope, i'm always excited to meet another AA male from ATL that's pre-med. Our N is very small. I can definitely empathize with you about the money issues. Luckily with the remaining money from selling my car I have invested in stocks/options so make about $200 a month trading to live off, while crashing (rent free) with my friend's family :p.

Well what can you do, just glad to be going to med school. I'll walk the first year if I really had to :laugh:

Remember my fellow AAs, always "pay it forward!" I gave my mcat books to an AA premed coming after me... We must ALWAYS help out the generation coming after us.

BTW so true, I donated my exam krackers set to the Office of multiculture at my undergrad. Hopefully someone, who needs it, can put it to good use.

Lurker for a while...first post. AA female here, single and no children, was active duty military for six years. Finished me enlistment, now in school full-time as a Biology major planning to apply to med school around 2015.

Also prior service. Get decent stats and you will be in very good shape when you apply. If you need any advice PM me.

Last edited:
Do any of you girls have natural hair?

I am finding my hair very hard to manage, I use to braids and sew-ins but I am tired that.

Anyone had a keratin treatment?

0_• that came out of nowhere haha. I don't have natural hair, yes I have had keratin treatment thought it was a waste of a couple hundred bucks, prefer Brazilian blowouts if no relaxer.

I currently wear my hair in senegalese twists, I've been wondering how I'm going to afford to keep that up in med school, I'm not ready to give it up and fro-out yet +pity+

Then again I have to make it into school in order for this to be a problem #foreverwaitlisted