Any African American women on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is the underrepresented thread so dead? lol guess that is a dumb question

Members don't see this ad.

I know! I had no idea people were so hardcore on the topic lol But I would love to vamp it up!

Build it, and they will come..

Members don't see this ad :)
I know! I had no idea people were so hardcore on the topic lol But I would love to vamp it up!

I just hate the way we are treated on here.... Everyone hates the "URM advantage"... There really isn't one tho... I grew up ridiculously poor... I have 5 siblings.... I struggled my entire life but it's whatever... My mcat score may not be fantastic but I'm in... I plan on shocking the world before it's over!

Yeah it's pretty sad. Like that whole SCOTUS case. I just do no understand how they see a class with 10% minorities and go "Ugh I hate AA!" I could speak on it for ages,...

Anyways are you class of 2017? Or are you already in med school?

---Hmm should we make a social thread??---

Yeah it's pretty sad. Like that whole SCOTUS case. I just do no understand how they see a class with 10% minorities and go "Ugh I hate AA!" I could speak on it for ages,...

Anyways are you class of 2017? Or are you already in med school?

---Hmm should we make a social thread??---

I'm class of 2017 lol. I couldn't wait to update my status on here!

Yea I don't pay them any mind. Let 'em hate! lol I think its hard for them to admit/understand that they have the advantage, but I'm sleep :sleep: lol

Btw Congrats Mr. Jones! I hope I can share my success this time next year.

Yea I don't pay them any mind. Let 'em hate! lol I think its hard for them to admit/understand that they have the advantage, but I'm sleep :sleep: lol

Btw Congrats Mr. Jones! I hope I can share my success this time next year.

Thank you! :)

I've been doing hw all day, and now I realized I have also been logged on to here all day long, as a distraction. What a loser I am.

I've been doing hw all day, and now I realized I have also been logged on to here all day long, as a distraction. What a loser I am.

As long as you were able to finish your work, you're fine!

Remember my fellow AAs, always "pay it forward!" I gave my mcat books to an AA premed coming after me... We must ALWAYS help out the generation coming after us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember my fellow AAs, always "pay it forward!" I gave my mcat books to an AA premed coming after me... We must ALWAYS help out the generation coming after us.

:thumbup:

"Lift as you climb" - in the words of a AA physician I met.

+1
...otoh now I will know you on FB with research skills

At my school (MHC) there are a ton of AA male premeds and next door (SC) there are a ton of AA female premeds as you would imagine :smuggrin:. There's always a lot of exposure to AA attendings. For example, Dr. Whitmore from the Bravo show frequently gives talks etc. However, I've spent a summer doing research at a big 10 university and have been to many other PWIs, including most of the the UC med schools etc and it was eye opening to see how big of a disparity there really is with us in the medical system. A couple weeks ago, I went on an Early Assurance Program interview at @ BU and my school provided all the black male applicants, the rest were AA females and both male and females from Latin descent. The Dean of Admissions and I discussed disparities during our interview and we pretty much came to the conclusion that there isn't enough of us in the pipeline to begin with from HS on throughout college. Btw congrats to everyone for making medicine a reality!

At my school (MHC) there are a ton of AA male premeds and next door (SC) there are a ton of AA female premeds as you would imagine :smuggrin:. There's always a lot of exposure to AA attendings. For example, Dr. Whitmore from the Bravo show frequently gives talks etc. However, I've spent a summer doing research at a big 10 university and have been to many other PWIs, including most of the the UC med schools etc and it was eye opening to see how big of a disparity there really is with us in the medical system. A couple weeks ago, I went on an Early Assurance Program interview at @ BU and my school provided all the black male applicants, the rest were AA females and both male and females from Latin descent. The Dean of Admissions and I discussed disparities during our interview and we pretty much came to the conclusion that there isn't enough of us in the pipeline to begin with from HS on throughout college. Btw congrats to everyone for making medicine a reality!
Yeah I see disparities everywhere... I think a lot of people who go to HBCU's think the numbers are high, until they get out beyond their college towns, or even states, and learn the sad truth.

Yeah I see disparities everywhere... I think a lot of people who go to HBCU's think the numbers are high, until they get out beyond their college towns, or even states, and learn the sad truth.

I wonder why HCBU's have more pre-meds.

Hi, I'm AA. I have been browsing this website while I decide if medicine is what I want to do. I haven't posted a comment before because I've just been looking at all the information. :)

Hi, I'm AA. I have been browsing this website while I decide if medicine is what I want to do. I haven't posted a comment before because I've just been looking at all the information. :)

Welcome!

Hey all! Been watching the exchange and figured I'd pop in :::waves:::. As far as the number of AAs in schools they are low near me as well. Working to help change that.

Hey all! Been watching the exchange and figured I'd pop in :::waves:::. As far as the number of AAs in schools they are low near me as well. Working to help change that.

Hi!!

I sometimes sit on panels for interest HS students visiting my school and most of the AAs at my school continue to dismiss the idea of premed and majoring in the sciences. I know it's hard, but I just wish AAs weren't so easy to dismiss the challenge of STEM and medicine and encouraged first-years and incoming students to pursue medicine. As one of the few AA that have continued in both I find little to no support. Just crazy looks when I tell them my major and career goals (MD/PhD). I wonder if you guys experience that?

Hi!!

I sometimes sit on panels for interest HS students visiting my school and most of the AAs at my school continue to dismiss the idea of premed and majoring in the sciences. I know it's hard, but I just wish AAs weren't so easy to dismiss the challenge of STEM and medicine and encouraged first-years and incoming students to pursue medicine. As one of the few AA that have continued in both I find little to no support. Just crazy looks when I tell them my major and career goals (MD/PhD). I wonder if you guys experience that?

You said they dismiss the idea. What types of things do they say?

I think it's hard to convince anyone to into the STEM field. For one, maths and sciences are considered the "hard" subjects. Add to that, our educational system is lacking in preparing students in early foundations of the maths and sciences. I definitely think a lot of inner city schools where the majority of students are black are dropping the ball in teaching those subjects. It's an all around cycle of underachieving that needs to be addressed at the lowest level -- more students need to be tailored for be well-rounded in all subjects.

I wonder why HCBU's have more pre-meds.

Well, from my experience, I would say somewhere around 70% of the black Sci&Tech/ intelligent students from my hs went to Howard, so it is no surprise that there is higher concentration there than the non HBCU's in my state

Welcome! Nice to meet y'all!

I want to do MD/PhD too, I get crazy looks, but if I can keep this 4.0 I will def go for it.
A friend of mine goes to Princeton, she's an AA, if anyone could do it I think she could but she gave up on it because of her friends there told her she wouldn't make it. She has no support system over there its pretty sad..

You said they dismiss the idea. What types of things do they say?

I think it's hard to convince anyone to into the STEM field. For one, maths and sciences are considered the "hard" subjects. Add to that, our educational system is lacking in preparing students in early foundations of the maths and sciences. I definitely think a lot of inner city schools where the majority of students are black are dropping the ball in teaching those subjects. It's an all around cycle of underachieving that needs to be addressed at the lowest level -- more students need to be tailored for be well-rounded in all subjects.

They'll say "I started off as a (insert science major), but I quickly changed that after my first course here". "You don't have to major in a science to blah blah". I mean I understand where they are coming from but it just doesn't seem to be ANY encouragement. When I was a freshmen and told upperclassman I was pre-med and science major they would say that I wouldn't last long. Now that I have stayed the course people think I'm some kind of genius (soooooo far from the truth lol), someone they can't really relate to. But I'm just a product of poor public schooling, probably worst than many of the students at my school, and I just had to bust my a** and not get discouraged at the first sign of a challenge. I always try to encourage and even challenge my fellow AAs because I wish someone had for me.

At my school (MHC) there are a ton of AA male premeds and next door (SC) there are a ton of AA female premeds as you would imagine :smuggrin:.

I'll be going to SC in August! Would be nice to see you around. How is the AUC?

I want to do MD/PhD too, I get crazy looks, but if I can keep this 4.0 I will def go for it.
A friend of mine goes to Princeton, she's an AA, if anyone could do it I think she could but she gave up on it because of her friends there told her she wouldn't make it. She has no support system over there its pretty sad..

I'm looking into MD/PhD as well. What field are you all considering getting your PHDs in?

I'm thinking of neuroscience or pharmacology possibly even something public health/policy related. I'm open to learning about the options available at schools I like.

They'll say "I started off as a (insert science major), but I quickly changed that after my first course here". "You don't have to major in a science to blah blah". I mean I understand where they are coming from but it just doesn't seem to be ANY encouragement. When I was a freshmen and told upperclassman I was pre-med and science major they would say that I wouldn't last long. Now that I have stayed the course people think I'm some kind of genius (soooooo far from the truth lol), someone they can't really relate to. But I'm just a product of poor public schooling, probably worst than many of the students at my school, and I just had to bust my a** and not get discouraged at the first sign of a challenge. I always try to encourage and even challenge my fellow AAs because I wish someone had for me.

I second this. The same thing happens at my undergrad. I am now the only AA Chem major in my entire class. :( It is especially disheartening when faculty/advisors or upperclassmen AAs are that source of discouragement as well. I was fortunate to have an upperclassman following a similar path help me out and I have already begun doing the same.

Mr. Jones, Is your avatar black dynamite??

I'm looking into MD/PhD as well. What field are you all considering getting your PHDs in?

I actually don't know maybe biochemistry. I've had a lot of different lab experiences that I have found really interesting. I do believe I want to study a chronic disease that is prevalent in the AA communities like diabetes, heart disease, etc.

How about yourself?

Yes ma'am lol

I have a hard time watching that show. I have a weird thing (don't laugh) but I cringe at obscenities. :oops: When I watch that show it's like my brain is gets overstimulated and I'm just like ahhh stop!

Again do not laugh at me!

I have a hard time watching that show. I have a weird thing (don't laugh) but I cringe at obscenities. :oops: When I watch that show it's like my brain is gets overstimulated and I'm just like ahhh stop!

Again do not laugh at me!

Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I've only seen the movie.. which is hilarious! I haven't seen the cartoon though

I said don't laugh!! But I understand, Idk what's wrong with me but I just can't. And graphic is an understatement lol I watch a lot of adult swim and that show is hard to swallow.

I said don't laugh!! But I understand, Idk what's wrong with me but I just can't. And graphic is an understatement lol I watch a lot of adult swim and that show is hard to swallow.

Whoa lol! So Black Dynamite is more graphic than Bleach? I know it's not more graphic than Squidbillies! Lol