Any African American women on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dick Jones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a convo lol

Members don't see this ad.

Delurking to say: Yes. Hello :cool:

non-traditional student here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I started this thread to increase relations between my fellow AA males and AA females. As AA women, how do you all view AA males in medicine? Do you find them arrogant or very down-to-earth?

Well, I started this thread to increase relations between my fellow AA males and AA females. As AA women, how do you all view AA males in medicine? Do you find them arrogant or very down-to-earth?

I haven't encountered enough AA males in the medical field to accurately assess but I'm sure it varies just like with any students.

I'll be applying this summer, but I'll have to agree. I haven't met many AA males that are pre-med or that attend the med school at my undergrad institution. I hope that I have the chance to met some AA men in medicine though the interview process (God willing lol).

How's it going? I recently went to a 2nd visit and so far the AA males seem down to earth. However, this is just a fresh impression of a few and I'm sure they vary. I was lucky to meet a lot of relaxed, Type B personality students though. I'm nontrad student btw, so most of the students were younger.

I'm going to assume there aren't many single AA females.... Everyone I've met is in an ltr...

I'm going to assume there aren't many single AA females.... Everyone I've met is in an ltr...

Not where I go to school. Its about a thousand of us single AA females smh

Are there many single AA males going into med school?

I go to a predominantly white school in Southern California so not very many black people lol. But yeah, almost all of the AA females here are single including myself.

Well damn lol! I think a lot of AA males are taken. There are a lot of us that are still single though (including myself....just wanted to throw that out there). At one of my interviews, most of the AA males that attended the school were in an ltr.

Members don't see this ad :)
AA female pre-med checking in! I also haven't had enough contact with AA female docs to really say. Good luck!

I have yet to meet an AA male premed student haha.

I'll be applying this summer, but I'll have to agree. I haven't met many AA males that are pre-med or that attend the med school at my undergrad institution. I hope that I have the chance to met some AA men in medicine though the interview process (God willing lol).

During my interview season AA males were very rare. The only other AA male I met on the trail was at Howard. I was really surprised. One of the reasons I wanted to go to UCSF is because the AA male students there seem cool, even had AA male attending walking around the hospital/medical school. I would definitely go to the SNMA diners while you're on the trail.

I have yet to meet an AA male premed student haha.

I am one!

All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my professors, my family, the streets, baby making...A black man aint safe in a school full of members of the majority.

Reactions: 1 users
I am one!

All my life I had to fight. I had to fight my professors, my family, the streets, baby making...A black man aint safe in a school full of members of the majority.

In the words of Braxton...."Preach Broham!" Lol

AA female over here!! :hello:

And I agree that pre-med AA males are hard to come by, I only met one in a summer program I did and he was the biggest tool I've ever met of all races lol really crazy hahaha

AA female over here!! :hello:

And I agree that pre-med AA males are hard to come by, I only met one in a summer program I did and he was the biggest tool I've ever met of all races lol really crazy hahaha

How u doin ;) lol

Hello all,
As an AA female med student, I decided to throw my two cents into the original question even though the conversation has shifted a bit. AA males are definitely rare at both the pre-med and especially the medical school level so definitely stick with it and do your best because schools are seriously looking for accomplished students from diverse backgrounds. AA males only make up 2% of all medical students, including those at HBCUs. What's even crazier is that more AA males graduated from medical school in 1978 than in 2008, despite the increase in schools and various diversity efforts. (The number of AA women graduates has more than doubled in that time.)

I'm blessed to attend a particularly diverse medical school with quite a few AA in my class. From my experience, all of us are single and hang out together at SNMA or other diversity-related events. The guys are very down-to-earth and not at all stuck up.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm blessed to attend a particularly diverse medical school with quite a few AA in my class. From my experience, all of us are single and hang out together at SNMA or other diversity-related events. The guys are very down-to-earth and not at all stuck up.

Then why didn't they let me in... Or even give me an interview. :( You know, I'm not at all bitter about that even though they were my absolutely, game-over, number 1 above all choice. Nope... Not. Bitter. At. All. #Lies #StillPressed

Then why didn't they let me in... Or even give me an interview. :( You know, I'm not at all bitter about that even though they were my absolutely, game-over, number 1 above all choice. Nope... Not. Bitter. At. All. #Lies #StillPressed

IDK, your list of school looks pretty impressive.... Just sayin

...another AA female premed/long time SDN lurker...

just thought I chime in. :rolleyes:

:D Just checking in. I work with several AA doctors (male and female) and most of them are a joy to be around.

Wow! I can't believe it has been a year since I got that message from you. To echo what's already been said, you have truly AMAZING options. Congrats!!!! The process may not have worked out exactly as you hoped, but there is definitely an element of randomness that can't be explained. I truly believe you'll find a new love. I'm not sure what you're leaning to right now, but feel free to reach out if you need any help deciding what second looks to attend or comparing/negotiating fin aid offers.

Wow! I can't believe it has been a year since I got that message from you. To echo what's already been said, you have truly AMAZING options. Congrats!!!! The process may not have worked out exactly as you hoped, but there is definitely an element of randomness that can't be explained. I truly believe you'll find a new love. I'm not sure what you're leaning to right now, but feel free to reach out if you need any help deciding what second looks to attend or comparing/negotiating fin aid offers.

Thanks! And I hope everyone got that I was joking! (Halfway...) I'm truly blessed with how things have turned out, and even though your school didn't pan out for me, I have great options. I definitely will reach out.

Mixed half AA female here, and our entire region 9 eboard for SNMA except one person are AA females (we have one guy) until the turnover at the national conference in a few weeks. Hope to see some of you there.