Any African American women on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On another note.... My wife wouldn't dare conduct herself the way those women did on M2M last night.... I'm sorry.... Those papers would've gotten signed the next morning

Why did you waste so much of your life watching that show??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bored and want to keep flame going soooooo

Wooooah fall back. Speaking for the other minorities and the males, I don't get discouraged by a thread showcasing the African American women of SDN...I get encouraged...:naughty: what's good ladies? :laugh:

+1000! When I found out a chick is pre-med, I always find them at least 2 points more attractive. (well most of the time :D)

Anyways.. What is everybody's plans for summer?? Especially the ones who will be starting school in the fall. How will you spend your last months of freedom lol jk

So I am hoping to do research or get a summer job. The last few weeks before med school starts, my friend and I plan to spend 2 weeks in Barcelona Spain. You?

On another note.... My wife wouldn't dare conduct herself the way those women did on M2M last night.... I'm sorry.... Those papers would've gotten signed the next morning

I tried to watch the first episode last week, but my tolerance for shows like RHOA, which from comments M2M seems to be like that, have gone wayyyyy down! I don't think i'll be watching it unless someone can convince me otherwise :smuggrin:

23. Haitian female.
Non-traditional applicant.
1st Bachelors in Philosophy ( Summer '13 graduation)
Going for a Second Bachelors in Neuroscience. ( Beginning Fall 2013"
Located in sunny Miami.

Welcome, Welcome, which part of Miami do you live in? I've spent some time in Miami Gardens, and by time I just mean a few days with my roommate's fam down there :)

Hi guys!!!

I've been lurking around here for a couple of days, and I think this is a great thread! I'm 22, AA female, bachelors in biology-Class of 2012!!. I went to an HBCU as an undergrad and absolutely LOVED my experience. I'll be starting dental school at VCU this fall, and have been working as a math tutor during my gap year.

I just wanted to get in the mix :) And show some dental love, not too many of us but we do exist!!

Hi guys!!!

I've been lurking around here for a couple of days, and I think this is a great thread! I'm 22, AA female, bachelors in biology-Class of 2012!!. I went to an HBCU as an undergrad and absolutely LOVED my experience. I'll be starting dental school at VCU this fall, and have been working as a math tutor during my gap year.

I just wanted to get in the mix :) And show some dental love, not too many of us but we do exist!!
Welcome as well

I thought that show would be interesting, especially since I got interested in medicine. I thought "Oh, AA women in medicine!" Silly me, its on Bravo, its just like housewives (not that I don't enjoy housewives lol, just thought a show about doctors (and their wives) would be different)

Sent from my C5155 using SDN Mobile

Hi guys!!!

Welcome to the family!!

So.... Just received a full ride to Morehouse.... Should I still do HPSP?

So.... Just received a full ride to Morehouse.... Should I still do HPSP?

Congrats!!! You are killin' the game outchea! lol :thumbup:
Personally, I would take the Morehouse offer. Graduate debt free, without any of the commitments of the HPSP. Unless you really want to go to Rochester.

Personally, I would take the Morehouse offer. Graduate debt free, without any of the commitments of the HPSP. Unless you really want to go to Rochester.

That's what I'm thinking too.... I was very surprised to get the call

Members don't see this ad :)

First Lady, we family now lol..

Hey there!!! 25 yr old AA. Physiology major at the University of Arizona.

My dad keeps a summer house there, they love it, big contrast to NJ where they live.

I live in AZ. The bigger cities are nice. I don't think there's much to do out here tho (I spent a month in LA with my husband's family and was surprised at how busy everything was) Plus it didn't use to be so bad, but the heat in the summer months is almost unbearable lately. I know you didn't ask me, but I just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

And congratulations on your full ride, Dick Jones!

I live in AZ. The bigger cities are nice. I don't think there's much to do out here tho (I spent a month in LA with my husband's family and was surprised at how busy everything was) Plus it didn't use to be so bad, but the heat in the summer months is almost unbearable lately. I know you didn't ask me, but I just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

And congratulations on your full ride, Dick Jones!

Thanks and welcome!!!

If I got to Rochester, I'd be spending more money... If I go to Morehouse, I'd be saving money... But Rochester has more opportunities... Idk

What opportunities do you think you will be missing out on?

Research, international travel, and networking with a few of the top schools in the country

That's a hard decision. Have you ever used AAMC's loan calculator? If you already have your aid package from UoR, punch those numbers into the loan calculator(don't forget to add CoL). It can be very helpful to see the impact that future loans will have on your life. On a side note, one of my good friends is graduating from Howard SOM and is going into a competitive residency at an ivy.

Congrats Dick on the full-ride! Money isn't everything when it comes to happiness but just keep in mind the current economical/health care/government situation. You never know how quickly things can change. That is SUPER AWESOME!

Btw you guys I don't normally come to this forum often because it's usually dead. I commented earlier on. I'll try to comment more now that its lively. I'll be sure to stop by the other thread too.

Last edited:
Congrats Dick on the full-ride! Money isn't everything when it comes to happiness but just keep in mind the current economical/health care/government situation. You never know how quickly things can change. That is SUPER AWESOME!

Btw you guys I don't normally come to this forum often because it's usually dead. I commented earlier on. I'll tried to comment more now that its lively. I'll be sure to stop by the other thread too.

Thanks! At this point, idk what to do :)

Is Rochester offering anything? If not... I'd ask them. I would just say something along the lines "I was offered a full ride to another institution, but you are my first choice - am I eligible for any institutional scholarships?" You won't know if you don't ask and you have leverage, so use it :)

I agree with the other posters... Money isn't everything, but we aren't talking about a couple of grand. We are talking about a free US medical education. IJS lol

Decisions! Decisions, man! Like they say, it's a good problem to have! Toasting to your good fortune!

Last edited:
Is Rochester offering anything? If not... I'd ask them. I would just say something along the lines "I was offered a full ride to another institution, but you are my first choice - am I eligible for any institutional scholarships?" You won't know if you don't ask and you have leverage, so use it :)

I agree with the other posters... Money isn't everything, but we aren't talking about a couple of grand. We are talking about a free US medical education. IJS lol

Yea they are offering half tuition for 4 years lol I still haven't received my full financial aid package from either school

Yea they are offering half tuition for 4 years lol I still haven't received my full financial aid package from either school

That is wonderful! Rochester has a nice little offer as well. I guess you just need to decide what's important to you, then figure out where you are most likely to receive those things at.

I'd also ask myself which class am I most likely going to fit in with best. Think about the other interviewees you interacted with. Additionally, the full cost of attendance is important. You can get that from each school's website... Real estate in Atlanta is relatively cheap, but I'm unsure how much rental rates are. I have no clue how much the cost of living is Rochester either. Do you have a problem with ice age winters or sultry humid summers?

If I got to Rochester, I'd be spending more money... If I go to Morehouse, I'd be saving money... But Rochester has more opportunities... Idk

I have been spying on this thread for a long time. Finally decided to post. I am also an AA male who will be starting med school this fall. Dick, when I saw your scholarship offer, I told my self that the offer would be a no brainer as to what school I would be attending IF IT WERE TO BE ME.

Guess what, I have also received a full ride from one school and I am now confused. I thought that I had made my decision (and was just waiting for the May 15th deadline) until this offer came in and now I'm thinking (case of don't know how it feels unless you go through it).

My top choice school also offered some scholarship but not a full ride. I am constantly thinking about how sweet :love: it would be to graduate from med school debt free in this economy. To all my fellow AA colleagues on this board, you will all receive your acceptance and scholarship offers next year (if you are applying) or the year you apply. Just keep on working and you will be amazed when the application cycle comes around.

I am a first generation high school student (raised in a single parent home :eek:) and so I had a lot of people discouraging me from medicine. Think about people telling you horror stories they know about people who did not get in after 4 years of pre-med. Thanks to the Lord, I stayed in the game, worked hard and amazing things happened.

My last word is, DO NOT LET ANY ONE, NOT EVEN YOUR MOTHER, FATHER, TEACHER, MENTOR TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN'T DO IT. AS LONG AS YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD AND SACRIFICE, YOU WILL GET THERE. No matter how long it might take you, you will get there.

I have been spying on this thread for a long time. Finally decided to post. I am also an AA male who will be starting med school this fall. Dick, when I saw your scholarship offer, I told my self that the offer would be a no brainer as to what school I would be attending IF IT WERE TO BE ME.

Guess what, I have also received a full ride from one school and I am now confused. I thought that I had made my decision (and was just waiting for the May 15th deadline) until this offer came in and now I'm thinking (case of don't know how it feels unless you go through it).

My top choice school also offered some scholarship but not a full ride. I am constantly thinking about how sweet :love: it would be to graduate from med school debt free in this economy. To all my fellow AA colleagues on this board, you will all receive your acceptance and scholarship offers next year (if you are applying) or the year you apply. Just keep on working and you will be amazed when the application cycle comes around.

I am a first generation high school student (raised in a single parent home :eek:) and so I had a lot of people discouraging me from medicine. Think about people telling you horror stories they know about people who did not get in after 4 years of pre-med. Thanks to the Lord, I stayed in the game, worked hard and amazing things happened.

My last word is, DO NOT LET ANY ONE, NOT EVEN YOUR MOTHER, FATHER, TEACHER, MENTOR TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN'T DO IT. AS LONG AS YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD AND SACRIFICE, YOU WILL GET THERE. No matter how long it might take you, you will get there.

Congrats and welcome!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's always appreciated :cool:

I know. I received my fin aid award from Rochester.... 2 huge scholarships, 1 smaller one, and 21k in loans.... I just dnt knw... There's one school that hasn't sent me any offers..... Those 2 huge scholarships equal what Morehouse is offering.... Oh and the Morehouse scholarship isn't a full-ride... It's full tuition and fees...

I know. I received my fin aid award from Rochester.... 2 huge scholarships, 1 smaller one, and 21k in loans.... I just dnt knw... There's one school that hasn't sent me any offers..... Those 2 huge scholarships equal what Morehouse is offering.... Oh and the Morehouse scholarship isn't a full-ride... It's full tuition and fees...

Well there you have it. Now you don't have such a hard decision. Either way you will need to take out loans for cost of living. Congrats again man!

When I read all of these success stories I think about the following songs:

Started From the Bottom - Drake (whom I actually don't like)
Made in America - Kanye West
Seasons - Donald Lawrence
Gone - Kanye West
Symphony of Brotherhood - Miri Ben-Ari
So Ambitious - Jay-Z

Can you think of any others??

Okay obviously the lyrics have to be adjusted a bit... IJS haha

I am SOO happy for you! Congrats on getting in and thanks for the encouragement!

Congrats as well and welcome to the club.

When I read all of these success stories I think about the following songs:

Started From the Bottom - Drake (whom I actually don't like)
Made in America - Kanye West
Seasons - Donald Lawrence
Gone - Kanye West
Symphony of Brotherhood - Miri Ben-Ari
So Ambitious - Jay-Z

Can you think of any others??

Okay obviously the lyrics have to be adjusted a bit... IJS haha

Sure Ahem:
Chief keef - love sosa
Young scooter - dollar signs
Gucci mane - Lemonade
Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg - Nuthin' But A G Thang (no I just a a)
Young jeezy - Amazin' (no g just ' )
Young Jeezy - I got money
Lil Wayne - Hustler Musik (no c just a k)
Drake - Money to blow
Kendrick Lamar - I do this
Asap Rocky - Purple swag (because regular swag isn't enough)
and after I received my first acceptance this was on repeat for 2 weeks:
Ice Cube - It Was a Good Day

Others?? :smuggrin:

Iave,

Look at my new avatar, its yoruichi and urahara, perfect representation of my swirl lol