Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: They said AACOMAS transcripts are fine so long as you didn't indicate in your application that you had courses in progress towards your diploma. If you call them, they will tell you all of the transcripts they have and affirm that you can check that off the matriculation checklist.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was told the yesterday that they are going to be sending out more II soon (likely sometime next week) but they are trying to come up with more dates in-between now and March to accommodate more people.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st year student here. I know applicants tend to get more antsy this time of year but hang in tight! If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Reactions: 2 users
Still sitting on the waitlist! Anyone get pulled off of it yet? I thought I remembered them saying mid-Dec was when waitlisters started seeing the light

Did anyone from the 11/3 or 11/17 complete dates ever get any II

So I submitted my FAFSA and I know I will need to apply for a private loan to cover the remaining cost. I used Sallie Mae previously and I think I will probably apply through them again, however, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I'm going to need my loans to cover my cost of living too, since I won't be able to work and my parents can't provide any financial assistance.

So I submitted my FAFSA and I know I will need to apply for a private loan to cover the remaining cost. I used Sallie Mae previously and I think I will probably apply through them again, however, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? I'm going to need my loans to cover my cost of living too, since I won't be able to work and my parents can't provide any financial assistance.
Why wouldn't you be able to use GRADPLUS loans???

Reactions: 1 user

have you considered military medicine? I believe the obligation is one year for every year they pay for (med school and residency). Pretty awesome deal but I'm biased

edit: it's worth noting you'd get a cost of living stipend along with tuition coverage

GradPLUS loans should be utilized before any private loan or military option, imo. Also the Unsubsidized Federal Loan gained from a FAFSA application will NOT be enough. It maxes out around 44,000 I believe. For ACOM, that is tuition.

have you considered military medicine? I believe the obligation is one year for every year they pay for (med school and residency). Pretty awesome deal but I'm biased

edit: it's worth noting you'd get a cost of living stipend along with tuition coverage

Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about Financial Aid at ACOM. Mr. Cobb is hands down the best Financial Aid Director out of any school I interviewed at. He created this comprehensive guide to help you out.

http://www.acomedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Student-Financial-Aid-Guide-1617-Rev-11082016.pdf

Reactions: 3 users

There are a few things to address here. Travis Cobb's guide is awesome and has all the answers, but there are a couple of obvious things people on here can tell you without having to go through the massively impressive FA guide.

1. Most students will be in the same boat as you and almost all will NOT have to take out private loans. The larger chunk of the loan (~$44k as Marrowist mentioned) will be unsubsidized and does NOT depend on credit. You must also apply for GRAD Plus loans, which have a slightly higher interest rate, but will cover the remaining ~$30k or less of the total cost of tuition. For most students, this is more than enough and if you are smart about it you wont have to accept nearly the full amount (each dollar you don't take out now will be a larger amount (one dollar plus the interest it accrues over the lifespan of the loan) of money you save down the line. GRAD Plus loans ARE credit-dependent but if you qualify for a private loan, you will qualify for a grad plus loan. Make a solid budget and you should be able to accept several thousand less than the full amount. The students who find, even after the complete cost of attendance is covered by the gov't loan, they need more (e.g. sole provider for a 4-person family, etc.) then and only then should a private loan be considered.

2. Military medicine is a whole other category. It's not quite financial assistance. It's payment for training in exchange for service. As discussed ad nauseum on these boards, it should not be viewed from a financial perspective until one is definitely certain he/she knows what the military contract entails and if he/she has a desire to serve in the armed forces. Some say the 'payback' of the military "loan" is far more steep than a simple financial loan from the gov't or a lendor. Depending on your eventual medical specialty, it may even end up costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars (even millions.... that's you orthopedic surgeons and similarly compensated specialties). It's not nearly as simple as presented by longboarder (no offense intended). Military medicine is a huge commitment made before most even know what it will entail or what type of medicine they want to do... unfortunately I think that the military realizes this and gets a lot of commitments from people who end up later regretting it and most doctors who find out what military medicine entails by and large say that the gov't got the better end of the deal even with tuition coverage, stipend, bonus, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok ladies. For OMM they are a requiring a sports bra without a "wide" T back? I am assuming we can still wear a T back sports bra if it is thin?

Ok ladies. For OMM they are a requiring a sports bra without a "wide" T back? I am assuming we can still wear a T back sports bra if it is thin?

They're not that strict about that rule. I've seen plenty of girls with a T back, but I don't know how wide is wide. It does help your partner out if it's narrow so you can palpate the spine. I've seen bikini and bandeau tops worn. After your first semester, you won't be needing to take your shirt off again for OPP.

You have to take your shirt off for OPP?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yes, during the first few months so you can learn the landmarks of the body. People usually just take their shirt off when they are the patient, and when the roles are switched, some put their shirts back on while others just leave it off. It's awkward at first because you just met your classmates, but after a few classes, you get used to it.

2. Military medicine is a whole other category. It's not quite financial assistance. It's payment for training in exchange for service. As discussed ad nauseum on these boards, it should not be viewed from a financial perspective until one is definitely certain he/she knows what the military contract entails and if he/she has a desire to serve in the armed forces. Some say the 'payback' of the military "loan" is far more steep than a simple financial loan from the gov't or a lendor. Depending on your eventual medical specialty, it may even end up costing you hundreds of thousands of dollars (even millions.... that's you orthopedic surgeons and similarly compensated specialties). It's not nearly as simple as presented by longboarder (no offense intended). Military medicine is a huge commitment made before most even know what it will entail or what type of medicine they want to do... unfortunately I think that the military realizes this and gets a lot of commitments from people who end up later regretting it and most doctors who find out what military medicine entails by and large say that the gov't got the better end of the deal even with tuition coverage, stipend, bonus, etc.

You are correct. I'm currently in the military and have been for a while so I often forget that it's not a continuation of a current lifestyle for everyone. My bad

Reactions: 1 users
Gonna change the topic up a bit here, but... it might be really helpful if any current students or future students that have already looked into housing could provide some pricing information. It's frustrating that apartment complexes tend not to list their current rates and when you call to ask they don't give you a straightforward answer and ask when you want to take the tour. I live kinda far away so I can't just skip over to Dothan and take a look at summerfield so it just feels kind of weird applying and putting a deposit down for an apartment I haven't seen.

The reason I'm asking is that apart from Summerfield Square's convenience, it seems the other comparable apartments are better in just about every other regard. It's rather expensive, too... on the facebook page someone mentioned its $1,050/month for the smaller 1 bedroom model. One current student at Magnolia Preserve said the apartments are bigger and generally nicer than SQ and even with all the various bills added in (cable/internet, utilities, transportation costs, etc.) a 2 bedroom at MP costs him significantly less than a 1 bedroom at SQ.

I'm just looking for some info on the most popular housing options for ACOM students and what the actual prices are, approximately. Thanks in advance!

And, oh....

osteopathic medicine is a more generally 'hands on' approach than allopathic medicine. Expect to put your hands on fellow students and for fellow students to put their hands on you. I think you'll find medical students are mature and are more concerned with learning the techniques than giggling at someone's love handles.

I've been into health/fitness my whole life but to take the other side of the coin.... I'd be just as foolish to think taking my shirt off during OPP presents an opportunity for me to show the fruits of my labor... no one is really going to care that much what anyone else looks like aesthetically. That said, I'm definitely making sure I don't forget to pack my Mangroomer back hair shaver... lol......we're human after all.

Reactions: 1 users

OMS 1 here: You are all going to get a long lecture on professionalism during OPP before you start palpating each other and learning landmarks. The first OPP lab we ever did was pelvic landmarks and it's a very sensitive area for most people so they gave us quite the talk on professionalism and the proper "superior to inferior" approach. No one in my class has ever had an issue with it; thankfully we are all old enough and mature enough to handle it.

Also, for people who are asking about housing. I live in a 1 bedroom at Highland Hills, which is another popular apartment complex for ACOM students and my rent is $741 a month.

Feel free to PM me with more questions!!

There are a few things to address here. Travis Cobb's guide is awesome and has all the answers, but there are a couple of obvious things people on here can tell you without having to go through the massively impressive FA guide.

1. Most students will be in the same boat as you and almost all will NOT have to take out private loans. The larger chunk of the loan (~$44k as Marrowist mentioned) will be unsubsidized and does NOT depend on credit. You must also apply for GRAD Plus loans, which have a slightly higher interest rate, but will cover the remaining ~$30k or less of the total cost of tuition. For most students, this is more than enough and if you are smart about it you wont have to accept nearly the full amount (each dollar you don't take out now will be a larger amount (one dollar plus the interest it accrues over the lifespan of the loan) of money you save down the line. GRAD Plus loans ARE credit-dependent but if you qualify for a private loan, you will qualify for a grad plus loan. Make a solid budget and you should be able to accept several thousand less than the full amount. The students who find, even after the complete cost of attendance is covered by the gov't loan, they need more (e.g. sole provider for a 4-person family, etc.) then and only then should a private loan be considered.

thanks for all the great info! I'm still learning about the loan process. I've only taken out one very small loan with Sallie Mae before and nothing else (besides FAFSA). I was lucky that my parents were able to help me pay for undergrad but this is all on me and I'm first gen so my parents aren't sure how best to advise me in terms of choosing loans and preparing. I will definitely be looking into GRAD plus loans then. When should I be applying for them? I have people that would cosign for me and have great credit but I also know my own credit is good and I have no adverse credit history so I'm not worried about that. @longboarder12 I did consider the military option because I am interested in a career in the military but I felt uncomfortable applying for it because I'm not 100% sure about what specialty I want to go into (and I'll probably change my mind a dozen times) and the fact that I truly don't know what military life is like. there are a few other factors that made me decide not to apply but I know I can always enlist at a later point in my career if I decide to so I'm not rushing into that just for the money.

OMS 1 here: You are all going to get a long lecture on professionalism during OPP before you start palpating each other and learning landmarks. The first OPP lab we ever did was pelvic landmarks and it's a very sensitive area for most people so they gave us quite the talk on professionalism and the proper "superior to inferior" approach. No one in my class has ever had an issue with it; thankfully we are all old enough and mature enough to handle it.

Also, for people who are asking about housing. I live in a 1 bedroom at Highland Hills, which is another popular apartment complex for ACOM students and my rent is $741 a month.

Feel free to PM me with more questions!!

Thank you everyone for all of the info! Makes me feel more comfortable knowing this going in :)

3rd year and fellow checking in here.
Yes we remove shirts in OPP lab. Anything unprofessional is absolutely not tolerated. We are entering an intimate profession as a D.O. but it is always a requirement to remain professional. There are all kinds of body types in lab just like there will be in your future practices so it is important to be able to work with them all. Sports bras are definitely required for women and ideally one without large straps in the center of the spine. I would recommend against bathing suits or bandeau tops. We ask that whatever is worn it be modest.
When it comes to $$$
Your FAFSA will set you up to receive all the money you will need to cover school. This includes unsub and grad-plus. You then choose how much of either you want to accept. It is all done at the same time. I am sole provider with one child so I do take out the full amount. For those with kids you can request a budget increase as well in order to pay childcare etc. The only thing I can think of is to clear up any major negative actions on your credit report or grad plus will get rejected. If you have any defaults on loans to the government etc.

Reactions: 5 users
They're not that strict about that rule. I've seen plenty of girls with a T back, but I don't know how wide is wide. It does help your partner out if it's narrow so you can palpate the spine. I've seen bikini and bandeau tops worn. After your first semester, you won't be needing to take your shirt off again for OPP.

Thank you!

3rd year and fellow checking in here.
Yes we remove shirts in OPP lab. Anything unprofessional is absolutely not tolerated. We are entering an intimate profession as a D.O. but it is always a requirement to remain professional. There are all kinds of body types in lab just like there will be in your future practices so it is important to be able to work with them all. Sports bras are definitely required for women and ideally one without large straps in the center of the spine. I would recommend against bathing suits or bandeau tops. We ask that whatever is worn it be modest.
When it comes to $$$
Your FAFSA will set you up to receive all the money you will need to cover school. This includes unsub and grad-plus. You then choose how much of either you want to accept. It is all done at the same time. I am sole provider with one child so I do take out the full amount. For those with kids you can request a budget increase as well in order to pay childcare etc. The only thing I can think of is to clear up any major negative actions on your credit report or grad plus will get rejected. If you have any defaults on loans to the government etc.
So all you need to do is fafsa?

Question for a current student (or anyone in the know), what month would one expect to take Step 1/COMLEX 1 after the second year? May? July?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

A few questions so I don't have to scour this forum.

What is the interview format?

Any opportunity to hang with a student? I've heard of schools allowing interviewees to stay the night with a student.

And what is tuition here?

Question for a current student (or anyone in the know), what month would one expect to take Step 1/COMLEX 1 after the second year? May? July?

ACOM wants you to take COMLEX I before the end of June. Step 1, you can take whenever you want since it's not mandatory at ACOM. Some students take Step 1 a week before COMLEX, some take it after, and some don't take it at all. Your personal preference.

Gonna change the topic up a bit here, but... it might be really helpful if any current students or future students that have already looked into housing could provide some pricing information. It's frustrating that apartment complexes tend not to list their current rates and when you call to ask they don't give you a straightforward answer and ask when you want to take the tour. I live kinda far away so I can't just skip over to Dothan and take a look at summerfield so it just feels kind of weird applying and putting a deposit down for an apartment I haven't seen.

The reason I'm asking is that apart from Summerfield Square's convenience, it seems the other comparable apartments are better in just about every other regard. It's rather expensive, too... on the facebook page someone mentioned its $1,050/month for the smaller 1 bedroom model. One current student at Magnolia Preserve said the apartments are bigger and generally nicer than SQ and even with all the various bills added in (cable/internet, utilities, transportation costs, etc.) a 2 bedroom at MP costs him significantly less than a 1 bedroom at SQ.

I'm just looking for some info on the most popular housing options for ACOM students and what the actual prices are, approximately. Thanks in advance!

Fieldcrest has 1 bedrooms starting at $535/month, and 2 bed/2 bath at $640. They also have student discounts, I believe!

Fieldcrest has 1 bedrooms starting at $535/month, and 2 bed/2 bath at $640. They also have student discounts, I believe!

Wow. Those are pretty close to campus, too, from the looks of it. Anyone know how these are and why they are so cheap? I see that they don't have washer/dryers, which is a totally underrated amenity to have, but what about a fitness center? Are they just old/run down? What's the catch?

Did this school officially stop sending out interview invites?

Wow. Those are pretty close to campus, too, from the looks of it. Anyone know how these are and why they are so cheap? I see that they don't have washer/dryers, which is a totally underrated amenity to have, but what about a fitness center? Are they just old/run down? What's the catch?

They do have washer/dryer connections. The apartments are probably older, which is why rent is cheap. A student ambassador I spoke to lives there and likes it, so I'm guessing it's an okay place to live at. As long as there are no safety or bug concerns, I suppose! XD

Personally, there was no substitute for living so close to campus (Summerfield). If you can find a roommate even better. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I've visited field crest and yes it is somewhat run down. I live at summerfield and love it. It's very convenient being able to run home and grab a quick bite to eat or if you're running late. Plus you get to know others better on your walks back and forth.

For those of you who have received acceptances, how long did it take for ACOM to send you instructions on the process of matriculation following the date you got your acceptance?

For those of you who have received acceptances, how long did it take for ACOM to send you instructions on the process of matriculation following the date you got your acceptance?

It's not about the date you get your acceptance. It's the date that you put in your $2,000 deposit that matters. Once I put my deposit down, I got a confirmation email stating that I'd "receive matriculation instructions soon" the very next day (when the payment went through) and then got the actual matriculation packet 2 business days later. This was during the holiday season, so I'm assuming it can only be as swift or swifter if done during 'non-holiday' times of the year.

Personally, there was no substitute for living so close to campus (Summerfield). If you can find a roommate even better. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I tend to agree. It would be very awesome to stay at Summerfield for that very reason. That said, even with all the associated costs of living a few miles further from campus and paying bills separately I estimate I can save at least a few grand per year. Summerfield is just kinda over-priced. They are overcharging indebted students for convenience and that just rubs me the wrong way, but that's just me lol. I'm also not the greatest roommate. OCD about cleanliness and organization and I can see where people might find it uncomfortable/annoying so I will likely need to room alone.

There's also the issue that I have a dog and a cat and in talking to the management at Summerfield, I can request the pet unit in advance but there's no guarantee that I'd get the pet-friendly unit and wouldn't know for sure until the later apartment assignment. Not bringing my pets is just not an option.

Can anyone "trade" their interview spot with me for this Friday? Desperate times call for desperate measures over here...

Hi! I was wondering if 3rd/4th year students can talk a little more about their experience with rotations, away rotations, and residency interviews (how are they going? are sites receptive of ACOM students since it's a new school, etc...)? Thanks!

For anyone who has received the matriculation package - have you guys started working on it yet? My main concern is the paperwork for student loans and financing and stuff like that.

feel like there haven't been many II lately. What were the complete dates of those who got the latest II?

feel like there haven't been many II lately. What were the complete dates of those who got the latest II?
I was complete 12/14 and received an II. Last I heard, the remaining interview dates are mostly booked and they're looking into opening up new dates in order to send out more II's

I was complete 12/14 and received an II. Last I heard, the remaining interview dates are mostly booked and they're looking into opening up new dates in order to send out more II's

When did you receive your II? Stats if you don't mind me asking?