Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes they weren't in the office. I was calling today to ask the same question. I've been trying my best to be patient, but it's been 7 weeks now.

That's true, but we also have to take the holiday into account. So much for that 3 week turnaround time...

Members don't see this ad.

That's true, but we also have to take the holiday into account. So much for that 3 week turnaround time...

You guys were complete at the worst time you had thanksgiving and winter break in there which definitely delayed their processing of apps. I remember my II came on a Friday so y'all could hear tomorrow, but I'd call today/tomorrow to inquire!

Reactions: 1 user
You guys were complete at the worst time you had thanksgiving and winter break in there which definitely delayed their processing of apps. I remember my II came on a Friday so y'all could hear tomorrow, but I'd call today/tomorrow to inquire!

Thanks for your reassurance! If I don't hear anything by the afternoon, I will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reassurance! If I don't hear anything by the afternoon, I will.
just so you guys also know, we have our final visit from COCA(for final accreditation) next week so everyone is working hard to get prepared for that.

Reactions: 1 users
Called to inquire today, and was just told I was still "in review." :/

Incoming students. I'm a first year and the best piece of advice I can give you is to claim the seat by the thermostat on day 1. Little does anyone know, I'm the most powerful person in our class.

Reactions: 9 users
Called to inquire today, and was just told I was still "in review." :/
Just tried calling and no one was answering; I'll try again and I think I may get the same response they gave you.

II just now as well. Would really love a January 20th slot. If anyone plans to cancel during that date, could you shoot me a message?

Just received an II and snagged a January 27 spot! Can't wait to meet my fellow interviewees!

My credentials won't let me log in to pick an interview date :rolleyes:
The same happened to me and I called, was transferred to IT, and they reset my password and it worked!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, what dates does ACOM have listed as the final interview session? I cannot access that page anymore.

Just curious, what dates does ACOM have listed as the final interview session? I cannot access that page anymore.
they udpate that list all the time. When i signed up back in october, Jan 27th was the latest. ( I just dropped it btw if anyone needs it)

they udpate that list all the time. When i signed up back in october, Jan 27th was the latest. ( I just dropped it btw if anyone needs it)
Sorry, I literally meant what the last dates they were interviewing were. Not the open slots.

Sorry, I literally meant what the last dates they were interviewing were. Not the open slots.
Sorry! I meant that when I signed up in October, the last day they had was January 27th! I think they extend the list as they go!

Congrats to everyone that recently received an II! If you're looking for an affordable place to stay you can check out the listing I have on airbnb (I'm a first year student at ACOM). If you're flying into Dothan I can give you a ride to and from the airport and your interview, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck everyone!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/162208...2017&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=hUBG9c6W

No email for an interview. I guess this means I've been rejected. I'm so sad :(

For anyone that has submitted their secondary app but hasn't heard yay or nay.. myself and others in my class were under review for a long while last year and we just had to keep respectfully updating our applications with ACOM and letting them know that we were very interested in attending still. So if you're stuck in the "under review" stage for a while don't give up, and try to find positive updates that can be made to your app. I did my updates via email to Linda Goodson.

Since I was complete on 11/17, I'm going to assume I was rejected. Told I was "in review" this morning. Would anyone that got an II recently mind posting their stats? Thanks

Since I was complete on 11/17, I'm going to assume I was rejected. Told I was "in review" this morning. Would anyone that got an II recently mind posting their stats? Thanks
Let's see,

cGPA 3.54 , sGPA 3.36, 502 mcat

II in November and accepted in December: cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.28, MCAT 500

3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 507 MCAT

Incoming students. I'm a first year and the best piece of advice I can give you is to claim the seat by the thermostat on day 1. Little does anyone know, I'm the most powerful person in our class.

I'm pretty sure you turned the A/C back on all last semester every time I turned it warmer.
Note to all incoming women: invest in cardigans/blazers/jackets because it's freezing at ACOM.

Lets just say I set the temp to whatever my grade percentage is in any given class. It never got higher than a 75 for a reason :p

Reactions: 2 users
If you were able to have a one on one chat with an admissions director what would you want to talk to them about or what questions would you want to ask?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No email for an interview. I guess this means I've been rejected. I'm so sad :(

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. You are not rejected until they inform you of that explicitly. I believe a majority of the spots have been claimed to this point, so it's not so much that completed applicants aren't being given interviews because they aren't qualified, they just have to be a lot more selective on the II's they give out. By "selective" I don't mean competitive... they will be more careful to invite applicants that they are more certain will accept their offer for admission. ACOM isn't a state school, so they don't technically have regional preference (it just works out that more southeast applicants will end up going there), but I am willing to bet when it gets to the point that they only have 30 or so spots left (but will continue to interview at their normal rate) someone from Mobile or Panama City with a 3.1 gpa and a 500 MCAT may be more likely to get an invite than someone with a 3.7 and a 516 who lives in San Francisco. It's just the nature of the beast that is the admissions process. They indicated that approximately 40 (give or take 10-15) accepted applicants that pay their deposits will end up actually matriculating somewhere else and those spots will go to waitlist-ers. This means that the latter part of the interview block (Jan through spring) is a lot more random and unpredictable for students than the first. I'd continue to hold hope and call them to ask about your status and consider sending an interest letter, if you do really want to go to ACOM. I am writing this because I have been known to be guilty of being a pessimist for most of my life but things (for who knows what reason) only started to work in my favor when I became more hopeful and optimistic. Maybe that's just a perception based on my newfound attitude, but either way I find life to be a better this way.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you have good fortune very soon.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. You are not rejected until they inform you of that explicitly. I believe a majority of the spots have been claimed to this point, so it's not so much that completed applicants aren't being given interviews because they aren't qualified, they just have to be a lot more selective on the II's they give out. By "selective" I don't mean competitive... they will be more careful to invite applicants that they are more certain will accept their offer for admission. ACOM isn't a state school, so they don't technically have regional preference (it just works out that more southeast applicants will end up going there), but I am willing to bet when it gets to the point that they only have 30 or so spots left (but will continue to interview at their normal rate) someone from Mobile or Panama City with a 3.1 gpa and a 500 MCAT may be more likely to get an invite than someone with a 3.7 and a 516 who lives in San Francisco. It's just the nature of the beast that is the admissions process. They indicated that approximately 40 (give or take 10-15) accepted applicants that pay their deposits will end up actually matriculating somewhere else and those spots will go to waitlist-ers. This means that the latter part of the interview block (Jan through spring) is a lot more random and unpredictable for students than the first. I'd continue to hold hope and call them to ask about your status and consider sending an interest letter, if you do really want to go to ACOM. I am writing this because I have been known to be guilty of being a pessimist for most of my life but things (for who knows what reason) only started to work in my favor when I became more hopeful and optimistic. Maybe that's just a perception based on my newfound attitude, but either way I find life to be a better this way.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you have good fortune very soon.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. You actually made me feel a lot better about this whole process. The waiting game is hard, and I don't know if I'll get invited anywhere (GPA is 3.7, low MCAT) but I'll try not to give up hope. Do they respond to letters of interest positively? Because I'll definitely consider doing that.

Thank you for taking the time to write this. You actually made me feel a lot better about this whole process. The waiting game is hard, and I don't know if I'll get invited anywhere (GPA is 3.7, low MCAT) but I'll try not to give up hope. Do they respond to letters of interest positively? Because I'll definitely consider doing that.
I believe they told us not to do that... cause they won't have time to read it or respond to it.

sorry if this has been asked already, i know it says the DO letter is preferred for the physician letter but my LoR is from an MD...
does this negatively impact my application?

sorry if this has been asked already, i know it says the DO letter is preferred for the physician letter but my LoR is from an MD...

Yes.

I have a MD letter and invited for interview so I am not sure whether they will look at that after the fact or not.

I had a MD letter and was accepted.

I was accepted and Received the matriculation packet. Do I have to resend my transcripts if they have allready been verified by AACOMAS and do not have any pending coursework

Thanks I'll call i did my undergraduate, my postbac and graduate work all at different universities it would be annoying if I had to send them all again

I was accepted and Received the matriculation packet. Do I have to resend my transcripts if they have allready been verified by AACOMAS and do not have any pending coursework

I was wondering about this too. I assumed what futurephysician57 said as well, but it is somewhat hard not to second guess or seek double and triple confirmation when you read that "if you don't have all this in by such and such time, your SPOT WILL BE REVOKED" stuff.

I, too am just going to call them up tomorrow and confirm this and will post when I find out. They should have an official way of telling us that our transcripts from the AACOMAS application are fine if we weren't continuing coursework or our degrees were in progress. I was contemplating taking a couple of courses at my local uni just to stay in 'academic mode' for the next 6 or so months but now I'm thinking of the annoyance of potentially having to send in another transcript before they go through with my registration.

Last edited:
I was wondering about this too. I assumed what futurephysician57 said as well, but it is somewhat hard not to second guess or seek double and triple confirmation when you read that "if you don't have all this in by such and such time, your SPOT WILL BE REVOKED" stuff.

I, too am just going to call them up tomorrow and confirm this and will post when I find out. They should have an official way of telling us that our transcripts from the AACOMAS application are fine if we weren't continuing coursework or our degrees were in progress. I was contemplating taking a couple of courses at my local uni just to stay in 'academic mode' for the next 6 or so months but now I'm thinking of the annoyance of potentially having to send in another transcript before they go through with my registration.
That would be great let us know what they say. Thanks

How long did you guys wait for an ii after being complete?
I was from much earlier in app cycle, but for reference.
6/29 ---> 7/7

They are pretty deliberate/timely about getting things done from what I have seen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Last edited: