Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish my undergrad institution could submit my committee letter quicker...

Members don't see this ad.

Got an application complete email today, hoping to get an II here! They have the absolute nicest admissions office.
Did you get the ACOM Missing Document Reminder email? Even though I have everything received with a YES, I'm not sure what to make of it. Also, I had the health committee write me a letter but in the email it says N/A.

I wish my undergrad institution could submit my committee letter quicker...
You are at no disadvantage with the DO schools. Submitting in August is still early in the DO admissions world. You will do just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
God, I hope I am that outlier then--my MCAT is a 497 which is probably 2 SDs away from their average, but my GPA is a 3.48 cum and 3.41 sci (3.6 last two years for both). I will be a tier 2 applicant, but I hope to be one of them to receive an acceptance (finger crossed). Hopefully being from FL offers that slight bump to get an II.
I know that if it comes down to choosing between an IS and OOS student, with everything else being equal, they will choose the IS student. Since FL is right next door, I believe there will be a bias in your favor. Keep your head high.

Did you get the ACOM Missing Document Reminder email? Even though I have everything received with a YES, I'm not sure what to make of it. Also, I had the health committee write me a letter but in the email it says N/A.
That's what I got! But I called and confirmed, as long as all yours say yes and your committee is n/a, you're good!

I would call and confirm though.

Where do you see the receipt of your documents? I don't see that anywhere on the supplemental application.

Dang you guys finished the secondary already? I'm only 1/2 thru the second essay prompt....you guys are fast...
Worked on the essays a while ago, so just had to upload them. Don't sweat, we are too early in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first essay, are people tying the experiences to healthcare or just their experiences in general? In other words, I believe I have lessons I learned that helped me but it was not through volunteering in the hospital but through certain ECs at my college. For the second essay, I will for sure talk about healthcare related experiences but I do not want to overlap between the two...I am a lot of trouble with this lol

For the first essay, are people tying the experiences to healthcare or just their experiences in general? In other words, I believe I have lessons I learned that helped me but it was not through volunteering in the hospital but through certain ECs at my college. For the second essay, I will for sure talk about healthcare related experiences but I do not want to overlap between the two...I am a lot of trouble with this lol

I think that is a good way to tackle your secondaries. You want to provide ADCOMs with a unique insight to you with each question.

In the first question, It might be better to focus on ECs, non voluntary experiences that have helped mold you into the person you are today.

In the second question, for some people it might be beneficial to mention a health care experience but that is not one size fits all. A friend of mine had this question and mentioned how his volunteering for the Shriner's Hospital as an after school proctor inspired him to pursue pediatrics.

I think the main goal is to give yourself talking points in the interview. What makes you unique to the applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you have to upload your letters of recommendation? Seems repetitive since they are available in our AACOMAS app. Want to make sure I am not missing something. I know ATSU is requiring us to list the details of our letter writers...but not uploading them.

Did you have to upload your letters of recommendation? Seems repetitive since they are available in our AACOMAS app. Want to make sure I am not missing something. I know ATSU is requiring us to list the details of our letter writers...but not uploading them.
I don't think the app asks to upload recommendations.

I don't think the app asks to upload recommendations.
I'll look again when I pull my laptop up, but, I remember seeing that after you submitted you'd get an email with instructions on how to. Hopefully not, though, would make sense and it'd cost more $ from interfolio.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I'll look again when I pull my laptop up, but, I remember seeing that after you submitted you'd get an email with instructions on how to. Hopefully not, though, would make sense and it'd cost more $ from interfolio.

If the recommendations were sent directly to AACOMAS, you don't need to send them again to ACOM.

Reactions: 1 users
God, I hope I am that outlier then--my MCAT is a 497 which is probably 2 SDs away from their average, but my GPA is a 3.48 cum and 3.41 sci (3.6 last two years for both). I will be a tier 2 applicant, but I hope to be one of them to receive an acceptance (finger crossed). Hopefully being from FL offers that slight bump to get an II.

What is a tier 2 applicant? How is this determined?

From what I gather, tier 2 are those below 498 MCAT and there is some type of threshold for the GPA as well--don't know if both need to be below in order to be tier 2 or not. For what it's worth, I called them some weeks ago and the admissions officer said he has never heard of ACOM doing tier 1 vs tier 2 style, but I am sure there must be something like it unless the person on the 2015-2016 misheard/lied. Also, a 498 last year is really a 499 this year given what I have been told/read about the new percentiles, so it may also have changed accordingly.

For the essay:

essay 1: I talked about my experience & background that help me into who I am now, and I believed those are factors that will help me success
essay 2: I just talked about how different it is to shadow MD & DO, and why I come to love DO.

Sound about right people?

I believe ATSU-KCOM have the same secondary questions

Hey, so for essay prompt #1, did you guys talk specifically about being a successful "osteopathic physician" or just about being a successful physician? My answer probably wouldn't be incredibly different, just curious what you guys did.
a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

Hey, so for essay prompt #1, did you guys talk specifically about being a successful "osteopathic physician" or just about being a successful physician? My answer probably wouldn't be incredibly different, just curious what you guys did.
a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

I'm gonna focus on physician in general but I can understand if you want to focus solely on the DO route

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm gonna focus on physician in general but I can understand if you want to focus solely on the DO route

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I wrote mine out the same as yours as well. Nice to have some confirmation, thanks.

I would think speaking about anything shadow related would be for prompt 2 at least that is how I am approaching. For example, on prompt one I talked about empathy and how an experience in college made me a more empathetic person. I wanted to include shadowing stuff but I feel that is more apt for prompt 2. Just my 2 cents. Haven't submitted it yet as I haven't finished lol.

Guys, how where do we upload the essay the first page that pops up after I click the lick I was sent doesn't have any where to upload my essay. Do I have to create an account ?

Guys, how where do we upload the essay the first page that pops up after I click the lick I was sent doesn't have any where to upload my essay. Do I have to create an account ?
Its the very last thing you do. Have it saved beforehand as a pdf. Its not even on the first page of the application i dont believe.

If my letters aren't yet recieved by aacomas, can I not then submit my secondary?

Has anyone been verified through AACOMAS and not received any notification from ACOM?

Call and ask? I recieved supplemental 7 days ago today. Worth asking if they screen and if you missed cut offs.

Call and ask? I recieved supplemental 7 days ago today. Worth asking if they screen and if you missed cut offs.

My numbers are way above their cutoffs, hence my higher than normal neurosis.

Verified by AACOMAS on 20th. Still haven't heard anything from ACOM

has anyone heard back after submitting the secondary? There's not even a way to check the status until you get a link which is kind of frustrating...

Just received a "complete and in review email"!