Acceptance Stats for Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 2.84
non-science GPA: 3.75 (English major)
MCAT: 509 (127, 128, 127, 127)
Shadowed general surgeon for 2 years (800+ hours), volunteered in emergency department in hospital for 2 years (200 hours), summer clinical research (140 hours), pod shadowing (10 hours), worked part-time for 4 years in college.
Applied to all 9 programs. Offered interviews at all 9. Only interviewed at NYCPM and Temple.
Accepted to NYCPM ($5,000 scholarship), Temple ($8,000 scholarship.)
Will be attending NYCPM!
Congratulations! The scholarship you honored was stated on the acceptance letter?

Members don't see this ad.

1. GPAs: cGPA - 3.2 sGPA - 3.15
2. MCAT Score: 515
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: 300 Hours shadowing combination of Podiatrist, General Surgeon, Neurosurgeon, Internist
3000+ Hours Research, 7 Pubs and 2 Presentations, 2 Filed Patents
600+ Hours Tutoring, Hospital Volunteering, Community Volunteering, American Red Cross, etc.
1000+ Hours Training in Pharmaceutical Industry Research and Development
Currently finishing B.S/M.S program in Chemistry
4. # of programs applied to: 5 Programs - NYCPM, TUSPM, Kent, AZPOD, Barry - Received interview invites at all programs, chose to only attend interviews at Kent, NYCPM, TUSPM in that order
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: Accepted to Kent, NYCPM, TUSPM, Full Scholarship at all locations.
6. Attending program: NYCPM Class of 2024

*** One thing i forgot to add, I never submitted a rec letter from a podiatrist and I got acceptances to the above mentioned schools, not sure if its an oversight or what, but w/e
Congratulations! The full scholarship that was honored to you from NYCPM was stated on the acceptance letter?

1. GPA: 3.1 sGPA: 2.8
2. MCAT Score: 499
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: 4 years of shadowing Ortho Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, Head and Neck Surgeon, and Podiatrist (about 7,500hrs total fully compensated), 4 Years of Division 1 sports (served as captain for 2 yrs)
4. # of programs applied to 1 (NYCPM)
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered NYCPM w Scholarship
6. Attending program: attending NYCPM in January
Congrats! The scholarship was stated in the acceptance letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone please clarify what exactly "SDN ranking" entails? Is it based on quality of program, academic rigor, match/pass rates, or simply which schools SDNers liked the most?

The latter. NYCPM is arguably one of the top programs in the lineup but it's last because, at first glance, the facility looks like a dump. The ranking is based on feedback from people who interviewed or attended the school with largely subjective criteria.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the clarification. I was very confused seeing NYCPM at the bottom because it was my understanding they were a top pod med school.

1. GPAs (both cumulative & sci) 3.15 science, 3.32 overall
2. MCAT Score 501
3. Shadowing hours & ECs A LOT idk how you guys can calculate it all lol
4. # of programs applied to
Scholl, Temple, NYCPM, DMU - did not interview at DMU or NYCPM
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered
Temple 8k
6. Attending - Temple!!! (Close to home, Great Professors, Ability to work with underserved communities, Philly!!)

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Can someone please clarify what exactly "SDN ranking" entails? Is it based on quality of program, academic rigor, match/pass rates, or simply which schools SDNers liked the most?
What @Immense said.
Completely subjective.

Your best bet is to talk to current students. Multiple students.

Every student is different and will have different views even within the same program.

At the end of the day, take it with a grain of salt and go with your gut.

Reactions: 2 users
Mcat: did not take, waived this year
Tufts University bachelors
GPA: 3.3 overall, 3.1 science
Shadowing/ experience: 3 publications, chief scribe with surgeon for 1 year, 3 years research at NYU Winthrop, shadowed podiatrist for 1 week
Applied to all schools, accepted to NYCPM after a week as top choice and told other schools I would not attend.
Attending NYCPM this fall! Let’s do this

Reactions: 3 users
Shadowing/ experience: 3 publications, chief scribe with surgeon for 1 year, 3 years research at NYU Winthrop, shadowed podiatrist for 1 week
Applied to all schools, accepted to NYCPM after a week as top choice and told other schools I would not attend.

Hi!
Do you think its better to apply with without a MCAT score, as my gpa is a 3.0, mcat was 490?
also how quickly did you get an interview invite?

They ask if you've taken the MCAT score on the app so don't omit it. After everything was processed, the first interview invite I received was from New York something like 24hours after.
[/QUOTE

Great thank you! I heard fall semester is remote, right?
Also, how were the interview questions, I reviewed some from others and friends that interviewed but I just want a little more insight.

I can't speak for all schools, but mine is remote for lectures, but in person labs. Where are you planning on applying? NYCPM might grill you, but the rest of them are chill/conversational. If you have any discrepencies or low grades, be prepared to explain. The most important thing is BEING AUTHENTIC. They can tell right away if you are not being genuine. The student feedback section here on SDN is what I used to prep for the interview questions.

PM me if you have any questions anytime.
This is good advice. I had some grades to explain freshman year at Tufts and I was just honest about it. Prepare an answer describing why you had difficulty, how you improved, and why that will work in med school. They want to make sure you will make it through. Be honest with yourself. Life is about transparency and digging down to the hard truths so just be yourself in the interview.

Thanks. I would also add keep the answers to 3-4 sentences maximum and don't fluff them.

Thank you guys so much! I do have some grades to explain if i get the interview, especially in my first year cause of transitioning and in fall of junior year due to medical reasons. But according to my stats, how does it look for me?

I plan on applying to NYCPM only since its local and I've heard good things from alumni and current students, and honestly I don't have any DPM LOR's so that kind of stops me from applying at most schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think NYCPM would be a decent school, based on my interaction with them. Sadly, I've never been to their campus (and am not applying this cycle anyway) to really tell you how I feel about them.

As for the DPM LoR, TUSPM might be an option. Especially with COVID-19, some schools are basically waiving the requirement to shadow a DPM because many people have been unable to.

TUSPM still requires a DPM LOR, they will interview if you don't have one. But if accepted, you will have to get one before starting in August.

I think NYCPM would be a decent school, based on my interaction with them. Sadly, I've never been to their campus (and am not applying this cycle anyway) to really tell you how I feel about them.

As for the DPM LoR, TUSPM might be an option. Especially with COVID-19, some schools are basically waiving the requirement to shadow a DPM because many people have been unable to.

Thanks guys! luckily I have a wonderful boss who's even referred me to some podiatrists, but I need to let some offices open to in person visits to shadow. One last question, I have a 2.9 gpa and 490 mcat, how do you think my odds look?

great LORs, one MD and two professors
about 5000 hours in private medical officee
ceertified MA
200 hours of independent research
150 shadowing in nursing home
executive board positions in a interfaith club for 3.5 years!

1: 3.01 cGPA, 2.67 sGPA, 3.40 nsGPA

2: 505 (128, 124, 126, 125) 06/2018

3: ~1000 hours cumulative shadowing MD and extracurricular. 1000 hours outpatient urology scribe. Did not have the chance to shadow a DPM yet but looks like I'll have the chance next week.

4: 6 (NYCPM, WUCPM, DMU,

5: No from Samuel Merritt, Kent, and Scholl. Yes from NY. Waiting on the other 3.

6: I don't know yet? Also, am I supposed to have been given information on scholarships already?

Thoughts between NY and SoCal (if i happen to get in)? I went to school upstate so it would be really nice to not be in NY for a change...

So you don’t have to take the mcat this cycle and you’ll get in or do you have to make it up when it opens up ?

So you don’t have to take the mcat this cycle and you’ll get in or do you have to make it up when it opens up ?
I am still taking it for scholarship purposes. But no, it’s waived. Not required. As for next year, not entirely sure. Good luck!

you should be good. just be authentic in the interviews
You are the best! Wish me luck everyone!!!! Also I added western, TUSPM and DMU to my list as backups, if not imma aim for january at NYCPM. Doees anyone know if theres any changes in requirements between august entry and january entry? I dont think they require an interview thats all?

You are the best! Wish me luck everyone!!!! Also I added western, TUSPM and DMU to my list as backups, if not imma aim for january at NYCPM. Doees anyone know if theres any changes in requirements between august entry and january entry? I dont think they require an interview thats all?
Same requirements and interview required for both.

1. GPAs: Undergrad cGPA 3.33, sGPA 3.1, non-science 3.58
Graduate sGPA 3.89, non-science 4.0
2. MCAT Score: was planning on taking it after my MS degree completion... took advantage of COVID-19 waiver and applied without
3. Shadowing hours & ECs research coordinator for 7 years so tons of hours, at least 10000+ paid healthcare experience, over 500 hours healthcare volunteer hours. 4 research posters presented at wound conferences, 3 publications (in cancer research so not related to podiatry) and one submitted/not published yet related to COVID.
4. # of programs applied to: NYCPM only
l
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: NYCPM- no scholarships (downside to not having the MCAT)

6. Attending: NYCPM, but I deferred my start to January- so I'll be class 2025

2. MCAT Score: was planning on taking it after my MS degree completion... took advantage of COVID-19 waiver and applied without
3. Shadowing hours & ECs research coordinator for 7 years so tons of hours, at least 10000+ paid healthcare experience, over 500 hours healthcare volunteer hours. 4 research posters presented at wound conferences, 3 publications (in cancer research so not related to podiatry) and one submitted/not published yet related to COVID.
l
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: NYCPM- no scholarships (downside to not having the MCAT)

how was the interview with nycpm ?

@ManjH My Faculty interview was about 30 minutes long- I felt it was intense since I'm a non-traditional applicant. They grilled me on why I'm leaving my 7+ years profession in research to go back to school and commit to another 7+ years to podiatry at age 31, especially since I'm very involved in research and my LORs were focused on that too. They questioned why I thought I can succeed in Podiatry school given I completed undergrad in 2013. They'll want to know how much you actually know about Podiatry for real and not just the foot/ankle general idea. If you think there's a weakness in you application, be prepared to talk about it.

l

Congrats. What made you decide to step away from working and applying to Pod programs?

Also, since you're one of the first to get a seat for 2025, if you have any NYCPM related question..post in the following thread:

No from Samuel Merritt, Kent, and Scholl.

I'm very surprised that you didn't get an invite from them with your stats unless no means you're not gonna attend them lol

Also, have you thought about looking at DO schools? with your MCAT, you'll get an interview or two, unless podiatry is something you absolutely wanna do and it's not your backup option.

I'm very surprised that you didn't get an invite from them with your stats unless no means you're not gonna attend them lol

Also, have you thought about looking at DO schools? with your MCAT, you'll get an interview or two, unless podiatry is something you absolutely wanna do and it's not your backup option.

GPAs are too low for DO; esp the sci.

It’s been a long postponed plan... my husband was working his way to Med school and I worked...he just finished his first year in DO school and I decided it’s time to get back on track as well... I love research more than anything but I’m looking forward to be that research doctor...

1. GPAs (both cumulative & sci): cGPA: 3.7 sGPA 3.6 (only went to college for 2 years and completed over 100 credits by taking summer classes and having 21 hour semesters). In my interview I received a lot of compliments in regards to my personal statement, I really enjoy writing!
2. MCAT Score: Took advantage of this cycle and waived the MCAT.
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: 15 hours shadowing pods, extensive volunteering, creative inquiry, helped co-author a textbook at my school concerning obesity and eating behaviors, orientation ambassador for the college of sciences, pre-health ambassador, shadowed other fields in medicine to make sure this was for me, interned at a podiatry school, member of the national health education society. I should also note I went to a very big and well known university, so maybe that helped.
4. # of programs applied to: Kent, Temple, & NYCPM (offered interviews from Kent & Temple, NYCPM only reached out to ask me about if I still wanted to complete my bachelor degree but then never got back to me).
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: Kent accepted me 2 days ago with scholarship, my interview with Temple is this coming week but apparently they are full and only waitlisting.
6. Attending program: Probably Kent considering the waitlist at Temple. SUPER excited to start this fall.

Last edited:
It’s been a long postponed plan... my husband was working his way to Med school and I worked...he just finished his first year in DO school and I decided it’s time to get back on track as well... I love research more than anything but I’m looking forward to be that research doctor...

Scholl has a great DPM/Ph.D. program, not sure if you researched this before enrolling at NYCPM.
Regardless, good luck!

1. GPAs (both cumulative & sci): cGPA: 3.7 sGPA 3.6 (only went to college for 2 years and completed over 100 credits by taking summer classes and having 21 hour semesters). In my interview I received a lot of compliments in regards to my personal statement, I really enjoy writing!
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: 15 hours shadowing pods, extensive volunteering, creative inquiry, helped co-author a textbook at my school concerning obesity and eating behaviors, orientation ambassador for the college of sciences, pre-health ambassador, shadowed other fields in medicine to make sure this was for me, interned at a podiatry school, member of the national health education society. I should also note I went to a very big and well known university, so maybe that helped.
4. # of programs applied to: Kent, Temple, & NYCPM (offered interviews from Kent & Temple, NYCPM only reached out to ask me about if I still wanted to complete my bachelor degree but then never got back to me).
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: Kent accepted me 2 days ago with scholarship, my interview with Temple is this coming week but apparently they are full and only waitlisting.
6. Attending program: Probably Kent considering the waitlist at Temple. SUPER excited to start this fall.

Hey its great to hear that you got into Kent. I also have my interview with Temple this upcoming week. Did they send you an email saying that they are only going to be waitlisting for this upcoming cycle ?

Hey its great to hear that you got into Kent. I also have my interview with Temple this upcoming week. Did they send you an email saying that they are only going to be waitlisting for this upcoming cycle ?
Someone responded to my “Late Interview” thread and said they were full and only interviewing for waitlist

Does anyone know if NYCPM is only interviewing for waitlist positions?

I just received an interview invite from them, but no indication as to if it’s for an actual seat or waitlist position. Would it be acceptable to call and ask?

Last edited:
C GPA about 3.6, sGPA 3.2, MCAT 508-so far accepted to NYCPM, Western, KSUCPM. Waitlisted are Scholl, Samuel Merritt, AZPOD. Waiting to hear from Temple and DMU. Never heard a word from Barry for interview (and I’m going to complain to them and ask for my money back). I’ve accepted KSUCPM’s offer (only $200 non refundable deposit paid)but if I get off wait list at Scholl in next 1 week, I’ll accept their offer.

Does anyone know if NYCPM is only interviewing for waitlist positions?

I just received an interview invite from them, but no indication as to if it’s for an actual seat or waitlist position. Would it be acceptable to call and ask?

I had my interview with nycpm on Monday. There’s no waitlist that I am aware of.

GPAs - 3.38
GPA non science - 3.65
Cumulative - 3.21
Mcat - waived but I am taking it for scholarship purposes
Extracurricular:
-180 hours shadowing cardiologist
- Coached a men’s league
- Pharmacy technician for about 6 months
- 100 hours volunteering at local hospital
- Business internships
- First aid volunteer
- Apart of various clubs at collage
Programs applied to: NYCPM, Temple, KSUCPM, RFU, WesternU, CSPM, DMU
Programs accepted to: NYCPM.
-NYCPM was my top choice to go to from the start since it was really close to home. I got the acceptance letter from nycpm the very next day after my interview. Plus me and my brother both got into NYCPM together and it’s a dream come true. We finished high school and college together and now we are going to the same medical school. I decided to not interview at the rest of the schools and immediately decided to confirm my seat at nycpm for this upcoming fall by paying the deposit fee.

RFU sent a waitlist interview.
Temple sent out an interview request.
KSUCPM, WESTERNU, CSPM, DMU we’re still processing my application.

Don't complain and ask for your money back.

Well it’s just a matter of courtesy that a school should inform an applicant either way of their status. The issue isn’t the application fee- it’s that they haven’t responded and won’t answer emails or phone calls.

Well it’s just a matter of courtesy that a school should inform an applicant either way of their status. The issue isn’t the application fee- it’s that they haven’t responded and won’t answer emails or phone calls.

Fair enough.

Consider 1 more phone call/email before you send an ultimatum.

Your choice at end of the day.

C GPA about 3.6, sGPA 3.2, MCAT 508-so far accepted to NYCPM, Western, KSUCPM. Waitlisted are Scholl, Samuel Merritt, AZPOD. Waiting to hear from Temple and DMU. Never heard a word from Barry for interview (and I’m going to complain to them and ask for my money back). I’ve accepted KSUCPM’s offer (only $200 non refundable deposit paid)but if I get off wait list at Scholl in next 1 week, I’ll accept their offer.

Barry has been full for past couple of months I think. I've spoken with them over the phone a few weeks back.

Made my final decision- KSUCPM- no wait list movement at Scholl so far and I really liked the KSUCPM campus and area. Moving to Cleveland next week (and heeded the advice of those who recommended that I not complain to Barry about taking my application fee but never contacting me- I’ve got better things to do with my time).

UPDATE: just received a call from Temple offering me a spot. They said classes are potentially going to be completely virtual. Need some advice as to whether I should stick to Kent and have some in person classes or pursue Temple, which is my dream school. Also, how should I address a school that I no longer want to attend their school after putting in a deposit?

Reactions: 1 users
UPDATE: just received a call from Temple offering me a spot. They said classes are potentially going to be completely virtual. Need some advice as to whether I should stick to Kent and have some in person classes or pursue Temple, which is my dream school. Also, how should I address a school that I no longer want to attend their school after putting in a deposit?

Congratulations on getting into temple, on the matter of addressing the school. You are most likely going to have to email the admissions team or dean of the school in order to workout the process of getting your deposit back. Make sure you get this done ASAP I believe temple starts it’s cycle in the beginning of AUGUST!!!!!!!!!!

The conversation with the school might be awkward at first. But they will understand once you talk to them about your situation.

You should go to your dream school. As far as addressing the in class vs. virtual...the coast is hardly clear.

FYI Kent is completely online unless you want to go. Anatomy lab is going to have cameras inside for people to watch since only a few can go in at a time, and the one class "in person" is optional and divided into different days depending on which group you get into. With the downward spiral of COVID in Ohio I wouldn't be surprised for those two options to be eliminated shortly into the semester.

All assessments and tests are online. The cafeteria is apparently basically closed (limited options) and the study areas are really reduced. For anyone going to Kent this year (class of 2024) it's essentially online.

Imo just go to your dream school since pretty much every school is online anyway. Hopefully things clear up by January.

I heard anatomy lab for 1st years was supposed to be in person but not too sure. Welcome to Temple!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on Barry Podiatry School is it a good school?