AACPMAS 2020-2021 & Acceptance Stats (Class of 2025)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is there a higher chance of being accepted this cycle then next?

I believe by the next cycle; enough ppl will be vaccinated so the return of normal life can probably begin by mid-year in 21.
Anyone applying then will not have an excuse due to COVID (be it a bad class grade, bad semester GPA, or no MCAT/etc.).

That's just hopeful thinking on my part though about everyone getting vaccinated by the upcoming summer; IMO, we may start to feel 'pre-covid' like times in 22/23.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible to apply without pod shadowing? Also, is it ok to apply to pod programs while simultaneously apply to DO school? I asked because I'm currently applying to DO school and some pod programs are the same institution as the DO. My stats are 2.9 ugpa 3.78 SMP and 501 mcat

Is it possible to apply without pod shadowing? Also, is it ok to apply to pod programs while simultaneously apply to DO school? I asked because I'm currently applying to DO school and some pod programs are the same institution as the DO. My stats are 2.9 ugpa 3.78 SMP and 501 mcat

Yes to both; you will need a DPM LOR before starting. Stats are fine, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes to both; you will need a DPM LOR before starting. Stats are fine, good luck!

I've been searching for a podiatrist shadowing opportunity for a few months now but it seem most offices aren't providing any shadowing opportunity due to COVID. Any recommendation for virtual shadowing?

I've been searching for a podiatrist shadowing opportunity for a few months now but it seem most offices aren't providing any shadowing opportunity due to COVID. Any recommendation for virtual shadowing?

It's def difficult now to shadow but enter your info below and hopefully, someone will get back on time.
DPMs in your local area is the best shot or if you live close to one of the programs.

Hi, would anyone know if the MCAT is waived and if so would grades be viewed more heavily on? I couldn’t take my exam in September due to covid and am still waiting for a seat to open up soon.

Hi, would anyone know if the MCAT is waived and if so would grades be viewed more heavily on? I couldn’t take my exam in September due to covid and am still waiting for a seat to open up soon.

Every program is doing its own thing; contact your program of interest directly: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/Fall-2020-COVID-Update.pdf

And yes, if they are waiving the exam, then your GPAs and ECs will determine your chance for an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
When is the latest date in the application cycle that DPM programs typically accept MCAT scores? is it January or March of the year of matriculation?

Every program is doing its own thing; contact your program of interest directly: https://aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/Fall-2020-COVID-Update.pdf

And yes, if they are waiving the exam, then your GPAs and ECs will determine your chance for an interview.
Hey, thank you so much. I needed some advice. I have ~3.1 GPAs, not competitive at all. However, I have over 300 hours shadowing a podiatrist and over 2,000 hours working in a ICU as a PCT. I so far have 2 letters of recommendations from podiatrists. Do you suggest me to wait to take the MCAT and apply in April or apply now with a waiver?

Hey, thank you so much. I needed some advice. I have ~3.1 GPAs, not competitive at all. However, I have over 300 hours shadowing a podiatrist and over 2,000 hours working in a ICU as a PCT. I so far have 2 letters of recommendations from podiatrists. Do you suggest me to wait to take the MCAT and apply in April or apply now with a waiver?

If the program you want to apply to is waiving the MCAT, then go head apply. Like I said before, it is easier right now to get in than it will be for the next cycle.
If you get accepted without an MCAT score, make the best of it once you begin, i.e., work hard, get help if needed, ask questions, etc.

Good luck!

When is the latest date in the application cycle that DPM programs typically accept MCAT scores? is it January or March of the year of matriculation?

Technically, you can take the last exam before the deadline (June 30th).

For 2021, that will be the May 28th exam since the score release is on June 29th. That said, if you or anyone else is planning on taking the last exam, please make sure that the AACPMAS verifies your other parts of the application, and it's only the MCAT score you need to complete the application. Also, understand that there are no guarantees of a seat being open that late in the cycle.

Those applying early in the cycle (I want to say March and before that cycle year) have a much higher chance of being interviewed, getting accepted, and the number of scholarship amounts offered (because there is less competition at the beginning).

2021 MCAT Dates:

If the program you want to apply to is waiving the MCAT, then go head apply. Like I said before, it is easier right now to get in than it will be for the next cycle.
If you get accepted without an MCAT score, make the best of it once you begin, i.e., work hard, get help if needed, ask questions, etc.

Good luck!
Some of the programs are offering the Covid-related MCAT waiver, would you know what actually qualifies for it?

Some of the programs are offering the Covid-related MCAT waiver, would you know what actually qualifies for it?

If Prometric has canceled a scheduled exam due to COVID and you cannot take it before the application deadline (June 30th).
Email the admissions coordinator at your program of interest and ask about it directly; there are updates every day, so it all can change weekly.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. cGPA: 2.93 sGPA: 2.89 (strong upward trend)
2. MCAT Score: 494
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: ~5700 hours working in an Assisted Living Facility as a medication tech (full time job for about 2.5 years), ~ 400 hours as hospital volunteer, 940 hours in leadership role, and 20 hours shadowing a DPM in OR and office setting
4. # of programs applied to: all 9
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: accepted to TUSPM, Barry, and RFU
6. Attending program: TUSPM!
Congrats! Did you get interviews at other schools?

1. cGPA: 2.93 sGPA: 2.89 (strong upward trend)
2. MCAT Score: 494
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: ~5700 hours working in an Assisted Living Facility as a medication tech (full time job for about 2.5 years), ~ 400 hours as hospital volunteer, 940 hours in leadership role, and 20 hours shadowing a DPM in OR and office setting
4. # of programs applied to: all 9
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered: accepted to TUSPM, Barry, and RFU
6. Attending program: TUSPM!
Wow congrats, I have stats similar to yours. What made your application stand out to them most? Did they talk about your GPA?

good luck!

1. cGPA: 3.17 sGPA: 2.89 (Biology major/Business minor)
2. MCAT Scores: 04/2019 - 484, 01/2020 - 486, 09/2020 - 498
3. Shadowing hours & ECs: 48 shadowing hours, 100+ hospital volunteering hours, ~2000 church volunteering hours, college student ministry org leadership, freshman research project, & worked as a grade school tutor.
4. # of programs applied to: 9
5. Denied from Temple, WesternU (post-interview, could tell they did not like me almost immediately lol) & Scholl (post-interview, this one surprised me but not too down about it); Waitlisted from AZ (eventually got interview invite but it came in after I committed to CSPM) & DMU (post-interview); Cancelled interview from NYCPM; accepted to Kent ($2500/1st yr), CSPM ($5000/yr), & Barry ($5000/yr)
6. Attending program: CSPM! I knew immediately this was the program for me for multiple reasons and had an AMAZING interview.
P.S. Don't give up! This was my 2nd time applying to pod school after being rejected from every program last year. Work hard and enjoy the process:)
Congrats!!
what changes did you make for the MCAT score improvements?

Congrats!!
what changes did you make for the MCAT score improvements?
tysm!! some of the things i did when studying for the MCAT the 3rd time: watched Khan academy videos for content review, did the 300 pg KA P/S doc ANKI deck, took + reviewed Nextstep practice tests, took + reviewed AAMC Qbanks, section banks, & practice tests. I also gave myself almost 5 months to prepare for the test. Hope this helps!!

tysm!! some of the things i did when studying for the MCAT the 3rd time: watched Khan academy videos for content review, did the 300 pg KA P/S doc ANKI deck, took + reviewed Nextstep practice tests, took + reviewed AAMC Qbanks, section banks, & practice tests. I also gave myself almost 5 months to prepare for the test. Hope this helps!!
Welcome to the Bay Area.

Bring a mask.

Which schools are waiving the MCAT for this cycle?

I know Samuel-Merritt is. Are there any others?

Is there a way you can indicate if a course is lab only on AACPMAS?

Which schools are waiving the MCAT for this cycle?

I know Samuel-Merritt is. Are there any others?
I believe all of them but I know Kent for sure. You have to reach out to admissions and apply for the waiver.

For anyone that was accepted with an MCAT waiver or plan to apply with a waiver do you mind sharing your stats? I want to make sure a waiver is a good idea for me.

how long does it take to hear back for an interview invite after apps are submitted?

gpa:3.1 sgpa:2.96
2 research projects, 300+hours of volunteering, 20 hours shadowing podiatrist, 20 hours shadowing other specialties, 2000+ hours of clinical experience
applied to all 9
received interview invites to all 9
attended CSPM,Kent, Barry, DMU-still have to attend RFU, western, midwestern, temple, NYCPM
Accepted to CSPM with scholarship, Kent with scholarship, Barry with scholarship and DMU with scholarship
When did you apply to these schools?

2 research projects, 300+hours of volunteering, 20 hours shadowing podiatrist, 20 hours shadowing other specialties, 2000+ hours of clinical experience
applied to all 9
attended CSPM,Kent, Barry, DMU-still have to attend RFU, western, midwestern, temple, NYCPM
Accepted to CSPM with scholarship, Kent with scholarship, Barry with scholarship and DMU with scholarship
Congrats!! What was your MCAT?

Accepted to NYCPM!! how long does it take to hear back about scholarship?

MCAT:494
applied to all 9

Congrats on the acceptance. :dogfive:

I highly discourage others from applying to all 9 programs; pick your top 3-4 and save the app money! If you're worried about your chances or if the program has seats available or not, contact them directly then submit an app; for the most part, the admissions admins are very helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
gpa:3.45 sgpa:3.1
MCAT:497
Two publications, several presentations, hundreds of hours working on a trauma ortho unit at a level one trauma center, shadowing, volunteered abroad
applied to 6, interview offers at all 6, attended 2 interviews
Acceptances at both, going to NYCPM!!

Hey guys, I have a interview at CSPM Monday. Are we allowed to have a paper to quickly glance at for points to talk about?

Hey guys, I have a interview at CSPM Monday. Are we allowed to have a paper to quickly glance at for points to talk about?
definitely don't do this.

podiatry interviews aren't make it or break it like for MD/DO, they just want to make sure you're not a total weirdo

good luck!

During the interview with faculty/admissions definitely don't look at anything, but if it's asking questions during the other parts of the day feel free. Other prospective students took notes and such during the presentations or "tours" but just make sure it's not during the interview.

Best of luck you'll do great :)

1. GPA cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.0
2. MCAT Score 508
3. Shadowing hours & ECs
Research: 900hrs (no pubs), Biology TA: 225hrs, Orthopedics/Podiatry shadowing 300hrs, Volunteer Tutoring: 30hrs, Eboard of College Dance Company: 600hrs
4. # of programs applied to 2
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered Accepted to NYCPM and TUSPM (with scholarship to Temple)
6. Attending program: NYCPM

Reactions: 4 users
1. GPA cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.0
2. MCAT Score 508
3. Shadowing hours & ECs
Research: 900hrs (no pubs), Biology TA: 225hrs, Orthopedics/Podiatry shadowing 300hrs, Volunteer Tutoring: 30hrs, Eboard of College Dance Company: 600hrs
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered Accepted to NYCPM and TUSPM (with scholarship to Temple)

Great stats, Congrats. I'm sure you will do well at NYCPM!

Reactions: 2 users
1. GPA cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.0
2. MCAT Score 508
3. Shadowing hours & ECs

Congrats! Did you get a scholarship offer from NYCPM too?

1. GPA cGPA 3.4 sGPA 3.0
2. MCAT Score 508
3. Shadowing hours & ECs
Yay!! See you in the fall!!!

Thanks! Nope I didn't get a scholarship from NYCPM, which I think is in part because I somehow got accepted before my MCAT score was released.

You should update them on your MCAT score and tell them you've received scholarship from temple!

Reactions: 2 users
You should update them on your MCAT score and tell them you've received scholarship from temple!
Yeah I tried that and they totally ghosted me and then just directed me to the financial aid office. Then they just talked about need based aid not merit scholarships. Very weird.

I was fortunate to got accepted to my number one choice at WesternU.

GPA: cumulative 3.3, science 3.1 pb: 3.3
Mcat: 490,494
Shadowing and EC: 100 hours shadowing podiatrist. 2000 hours shadowing MD,DO. Worked as a personal trained for 3 years. Worked as a nutritionist for 5 years. Also worked full time during school.
# programs applied: 2 -NYCPM, TUSPM
Accepted to: nycpm 20,000 scholarship, TUSPM no scholarship
Attending: TUSPM!

GPA: cumulative 3.3, science 3.1 pb: 3.3
Mcat: 490,494
Shadowing and EC: 100 hours shadowing podiatrist. 2000 hours shadowing MD,DO. Worked as a personal trained for 3 years. Worked as a nutritionist for 5 years. Also worked full time during school.
# programs applied: 2 -NYCPM, TUSPM
Accepted to: nycpm 20,000 scholarship, TUSPM no scholarship
Attending: TUSPM!

20K from nycpm? Thought their max merit scholarship was half tuition lol

1. GPA: cGPA 3.58 sGPA 3.60
2. MCAT Score
3. Shadowing hours & ECs 24 Hrs, Podiatry, 50+ MD shadowing (ped. oncology, spinal surgery), 4 semesters of research (including an honors thesis and 2 poster presentations), field research in Costa Rica, TA for 2 semesters, bio tutor for 2 semesters, Resident assistant for 4 semesters, Honor Society eBoard for 2 years (ODK), H4H alternative spring break 2018, receptionist for ped. office
4. # of programs applied to
Kent State, TUSPM, Barry, NYCPM, DMU
5. Programs accepted to and if any Scholarships offered
Temple (8k), Kent (5k), Barry(7k/yr). Cancelled NYCPM and DMU Interviews
6. Attending program:
TUSPM!!!