2023 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooo anyone hear from CSU yet??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just heard from Cornell for the general rotating

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just heard from Minnesota for small animal rotating.

Has anyone heard anything from UGA, NCSU, or Tenn? Definitely feeling defeated since I've only had 1 school contact me for a phone call and assuming that i just won't be ranked elsewhere :cryi:

Does anyone happen to know if Wisconsin has a track record of only ranking the people they interview?

Has anyone heard anything from UGA, NCSU, or Tenn? Definitely feeling defeated since I've only had 1 school contact me for a phone call and assuming that i just won't be ranked elsewhere :cryi:
UGA reached out to applicants they were interested in a little bit ago, but unsure of whether or not they only rank applicants they reach out to. NCSU doesn’t reach out to people as far as I’m aware. And I don’t know of anyone who’s heard from Tennessee.

Does anyone happen to know if Wisconsin has a track record of only ranking the people they interview?
Disclaimer: I am an applicant right now too and I have a limited knowledge of the process. That said, I think this is true from what I've heard.

Just got an email for SA rotating from Virginia Maryland

Hi, foreign applicant here for SAIM residencies. Do universities usually contact you after your interview to indicate whether or not they are likely to rank you; or do you have to just go by the vibe of your interview? All of my interviews have been so different; it’s a little bit difficult to predict and I’m not sure if I should factor how likely they are to rank me into where I rank them or just go by which program I like the most?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, foreign applicant here for SAIM residencies. Do universities usually contact you after your interview to indicate whether or not they are likely to rank you; or do you have to just go by the vibe of your interview? All of my interviews have been so different; it’s a little bit difficult to predict and I’m not sure if I should factor how likely they are to rank me into where I rank them or just go by which program I like the most?
Not sure about the first part of your question since I don't have experience with it, but as for the last, rank by which programs you liked the most/where you most want to go! That gives you the best chance of ending up where you want to be, the process works out to favor applicant preference. Ranking programs that don't rank you doesn't hurt you. If your top choice doesn't rank you, it'll just try to match you with your second choice, and on and on until it finds the program you ranked highest that has not had the spot filled by someone the program ranked higher than you.

I feel like this thread is getting very convoluted with people speculating who will rank them, who won't rank them, and how that should factor into their personal rank list. The blanket statement answer to all of these questions in regards to your own rank list is that it should not affect it. If you like a program, rank it highly. That's it. If a program doesn't rank you, it does not matter if you ranked them highly. The algorithm will move down your list and try to match you with the program you ranked highest that also ranked you and still has a spot. So even if you didn't hear from an academic institution or have no idea how a program feels about you, if you like them and are interested, rank them. Bottom line. It only adds additional stress to try to game the system.

Reactions: 9 users
Is there a list of who gets matched where on match day? I’m nosy and want to know where my classmates matched lol

I’m pretty sure schools get a list but I don’t think they’re usually made public. At least not at places I’ve personally been. Your best bet is to Facebook stalk all day and watch for the posts, lol.

Is there a list of who gets matched where on match day? I’m nosy and want to know where my classmates matched lol
Yes, there is a list that programs receive but applicants do not.

I’m pretty sure schools get a list but I don’t think they’re usually made public. At least not at places I’ve personally been. Your best bet is to Facebook stalk all day and watch for the posts, lol.
Interestingly, Illinois does post the list they get of matches students and where they're going as well as the list of students that match to Illinois. It's pretty out of the way and someone would have to purposely go look for it.

Someone printed the packet and put it up at the front of our school last year and it was quite chaotic lol

I don’t know about you guys, but the inundation of emails from faculty/staff at school about match logistics and support is giving me unprecedented amounts of nausea.

I don’t know about you guys, but the inundation of emails from faculty/staff at school about match logistics and support is giving me unprecedented amounts of nausea.
Interesting, I don't think I've ever seen emails like that lol

Screen Shot 2023-03-03 at 11.04.13 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Was pretty nervous when I applied to internships; but for some reason am way too chill for residencies this time smh

I've been trying to figure out where to hide in the hospital tomorrow so i can open the email alone:laugh:

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I've been trying to figure out where to hide in the hospital tomorrow so i can open the email alone:laugh:
Yep, my degree of anxiety is probably half way to the moon right about now. I will either be hugging everyone tomorrow or crying in the bathroom....
How do you not let your self worth be all tied up with the match results??

I mean, my view going through the process was “it’s 100% out of my hands at this point, you can’t change what’s gonna happens and you can’t back out (without serious repercussions), so it is just gonna happen so why be nervous”. Not sure if anyone finds that helpful but that’s how I still feel about match. But good luck y’all.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone who matched, and hugs to anyone having to deal with the scramble <3 two of my best friends were in that position their first cycles and they are AMAZING doctors so if that's the spot you're in, just keep in mind that it is no reflection of how awesome you are.

I matched to one of my mid-tier programs so some mixed emotions but overall happy/relieved and excited for this next step!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Congrats to everyone who matched, and hugs to anyone having to deal with the scramble <3 two of my best friends were in that position their first cycles and they are AMAZING doctors so if that's the spot you're in, just keep in mind that it is no reflection of how awesome you are.

I matched to one of my mid-tier programs so some mixed emotions but overall happy/relieved and excited for this next step!

I came to say congrats WZ!

I’m such a low level lurker at this point though…

Congrats to all and for those scrambling or in spec internships instead of residencies - stick with it. I did three surgical internships before scrambling into an SA Surgery residency.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Double posting from pre-vet... don't hate me!

This year there was a historic mismatch between numbers of applicants and numbers of open positions for laboratory animal medicine residency programs. All in all, I believe there are 24 open positions currently unmatched in lab animal medicine. With all that said, if you or someone you know has expressed interest in the field, senior veterinary students or practicing veterinarians wanting to specialize, now is a great time to apply!

Specifically, the Minnesota Lab Animal Medicine Consortium* has positions open for the residency program at both the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis and the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

*There are a few updates to the consortium programs that have not been added to the ASLAP page yet including a higher salary. For more information please see the VIRMP description or send me a message and I can put you in contact with the residency program directors.

Congrats to all those who matched and good luck to those in the scramble!

Hey guys, just an update that I got matched with my third choice; but still grateful and happy! The matching journey still hasn't end because its already time to worry about 2024's VIRMP match!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Matched into my 1st choice AMC :’) couldn’t ever be happier! Anybody else match there for residency?!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations to everyone who matched✅ and those who didn't, heads up, it's not the end of the world and there is next year. I am hoping to apply for a rotating internship next year as a foreign vet graduate and I am already nervous seeing others' messages and posts.

Congratulations to everyone who matched✅ and those who didn't, heads up, it's not the end of the world and there is next year. I am hoping to apply for a rotating internship next year as a foreign vet graduate and I am already nervous seeing others' messages and posts.
I’m a foreign applicant and matched to a residency at a university this year so it is possible! Feel free to message me if you need any help!

• Love
I´m a latin graduate and matched to a specialty internship at a University! So it is possible!! Congratulations to everyone!

• Love
very delayed but writing this in case it helps anyone next year for rotating internships!

Applied: NC State, CSU, tOSU, Georgia, Penn, Cornell, Florida, Texas A&M, Tennessee, AMC
Interviewed: AMC
Emails saying they were interested: Texas A&M, Cornell
Nothing: NC State, CSU, tOSU, Georgia, Penn, Florida, Tennessee

I ended up matching to one of my top choices who didn't contact me at all (but I know other students received interest emails and interviews from them), so the whole process still makes very little sense to me hahaha