2023 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current SA rotating intern at VCA Animal Referral and Emergency Center of Arizona that will be staying on as an ER clinician.
Wanted to jump on the thread and say I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has about the program!
Ultimately really enjoy it, QOL is amazing, no on-calls, and the increased intern salary is pretty amazing ($80k).
If internships and residencies we're advertising that pay when I was in school, I would have more strongly considered it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Current SA rotating intern at VCA Animal Referral and Emergency Center of Arizona that will be staying on as an ER clinician.
Wanted to jump on the thread and say I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has about the program!
Ultimately really enjoy it, QOL is amazing, no on-calls, and the increased intern salary is pretty amazing ($80k).
Can I message you, I was interested in this clinic :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying for IM residency this cycle? Curious to hear if Davis has sent out any invites for interviews already

Last edited:
Anyone applying for IM residency this cycle? Curious to here if Davis has sent out any invites for interviews already
Hey! I’ve applied for IM residencies. Have heard back from a few places but the message I got from most Universities was that they’re gonna reach out after Jan 9th.

Also where else did you apply?

Out of curiosity, anyone on here from WSU or any other schools that don't have traditional GPAs? tOSU introduced a pass/fail curriculum this year, curious if anyone else has navigated how this impacts internship/residency/matching. I know it's typically more important to have good letters of rec & I'm not even sure I want to go for an internship/residency, but curious about the options!

Out of curiosity, anyone on here from WSU or any other schools that don't have traditional GPAs? tOSU introduced a pass/fail curriculum this year, curious if anyone else has navigated how this impacts internship/residency/matching. I know it's typically more important to have good letters of rec & I'm not even sure I want to go for an internship/residency, but curious about the options!
Illinois has a GPA, but it's based on 9 total grades, which is kinda weird. So far, people have said that rank seems more important for us rather than actual GPA since 35 people could all have the same GPA

Reactions: 1 user
Illinois has a GPA, but it's based on 9 total grades, which is kinda weird. So far, people have said that rank seems more important for us rather than actual GPA since 35 people could all have the same GPA
That's great to know, thanks! I know I've heard that rank is most important for most spots, but some of the 4th years I was chatting with the other day made me paranoid lol

That makes me worried because Minnesota has the opposite issue. Starting this year, UMN has eliminated class ranking completely and will only report GPA to one decimal place. Overall, I think it’s a good thing to reduce stress and competition between students. However, I don’t know how this will impact those of us who want to apply to the match. I’m still a few years out, but in typical fashion I’m already worrying about it haha

That makes me worried because Minnesota has the opposite issue. Starting this year, UMN has eliminated class ranking completely and will only report GPA to one decimal place. Overall, I think it’s a good thing to reduce stress and competition between students. However, I don’t know how this will impact those of us who want to apply to the match. I’m still a few years out, but in typical fashion I’m already worrying about it haha
They may not post it on your grades page but I wonder if they keep track and can provide it if you ask? That would worry me too so definitely worth asking

Those applying to rotating internships, are you leaning academic or private practice? And what are your post-internship plans?
I plan to apply to both, but the private practices I plan to rank are the better known ones. I plan on pursuing a small animal internal medicine residency.

Hey guys! The last date to rank and receive our LORs is coming real soon! I still have 2 LORs pending and not received *sobs* and I wonder if I should be adamant and send the professors an email. I was hoping VIRMP would give them a nudge from the system though.

That aside, how's everyone doing on their ranking? I am only applying for internships but still, its a very painful process TwT

Members don't see this ad :)
Those applying to rotating internships, are you leaning academic or private practice? And what are your post-internship plans?
Definitely academics since visa will be less of a problem for foreigners. Residency in SAIM would be the aim for now. Able to get there or not? Hmm, time will tell I guess?

Hey guys! The last date to rank and receive our LORs is coming real soon! I still have 2 LORs pending and not received *sobs* and I wonder if I should be adamant and send the professors an email. I was hoping VIRMP would give them a nudge from the system though.
I'm in the same boat waiting for 3 of my LORs:dead: I've been working on crafting a kindly worded "please don't forget about me" email to send this week lol

I'm 90% sure they still actually track both things and you can get yours if you inquire to ASA.

I'm 90% sure they still actually track both things and you can get yours if you inquire to ASA.
I don’t want to totally derail the thread, but according to the email and video explanation sent out in August, all ASA will provide is GPA and the explanation statement of why class rankings are no longer provided. I’m sure they still track it internally, but that information will never leave ASA.

The bigger question I had is how students from schools that are moving away from “traditional” assessment measures will be viewed, but I honestly don’t think we have enough information to answer that at this time 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 3 users
Hey anybody have any idea on how Bluepearl usually is with residencies? I got an interview and it seemed cool but anybody really got an insider view of the work life balance there?

Also is it common for a private practice to say “we hope you rank us” after the interview or is it just said to everyone so the position always has a candidate for it?

Hey anybody have any idea on how Bluepearl usually is with residencies? I got an interview and it seemed cool but anybody really got an insider view of the work life balance there? It

Also is it common for a private practice to say “we hope you rank us” after the interview or is it just said to everyone so the position always has a candidate for it?

I don’t want to totally derail the thread, but according to the email and video explanation sent out in August, all ASA will provide is GPA and the explanation statement of why class rankings are no longer provided. I’m sure they still track it internally, but that information will never leave ASA.

The bigger question I had is how students from schools that are moving away from “traditional” assessment measures will be viewed, but I honestly don’t think we have enough information to answer that at this time 🤷🏼‍♀️

The repercussions/outcomes for programs are so far in the future at this point that it’s so hard to say and for them to say! I think you’ll see some programs stick to what they’re familiar and comfortable with (traditional grading, class rank, GPAs, etc) and let others be the guinea pigs. But I’m sure most programs will find ways to evaluate candidates in other ways that are meaningful to them. I expect it will be pretty dynamic the next few years (or decades, depending on how assessment trends develop). The human med side of things is starting to deal with the same since their Step 1 exam recently went to pass/fail and vet med will likely be paying close attention.

What did people who don't have research/publications put in the section for "Publications, research or other pertinent experience" in the general information page? SOS
Second this question if anyone knows the answer!

Second this question if anyone knows the answer!
I also wrote a few of the MOST relevant positions I’ve had, very briefly, without rewriting my whole cv. I wasn’t sure what they meant by pertinent experience but I figured a very short summary of 3 relevant positions (small animal jobs) couldn’t hurt. Especially if the section would otherwise be blank!

I also wrote a few of the MOST relevant positions I’ve had, very briefly, without rewriting my whole cv. I wasn’t sure what they meant by pertinent experience but I figured a very short summary of 3 relevant positions (small animal jobs) couldn’t hurt. Especially if the section would otherwise be blank!
I assumed that section was for research-related experiences only but now I'm doubting myself!

Hey guys! First-time VIRMP user here. I was wondering if you submit your information, like CV or LOIs, and apply to places, is that the end of the application for January 9th? I thought that there might be another final submit button to click to wrap things up.. but apparently not?

Hey guys! First-time VIRMP user here. I was wondering if you submit your information, like CV or LOIs, and apply to places, is that the end of the application for January 9th? I thought that there might be another final submit button to click to wrap things up.. but apparently not?
Did you go to the individual program pages and click “apply”? If so then yes! But if not then no you still need to apply to individual programs:)

My 2nd of 4 references submitted this morning lol, in classic last-minute faculty fashion. One of my remaining ones in on clinics over the weekend so I look forward to seeing what late hour of the night they submit theirs on. :laugh:

I had my first residency interview yesterday, and have a few more coming up already so it's been a good start. :)

• Love
If internships and residencies we're advertising that pay when I was in school, I would have more strongly considered it.
Yeah seriously. My first job out of school was an ER where I worked 80hrs/wk and got paid $65k……. With very little mentorship outside of surgery. Womp womp. My the times have changed

• Wow
My 2nd of 4 references submitted this morning lol, in classic last-minute faculty fashion. One of my remaining ones in on clinics over the weekend so I look forward to seeing what late hour of the night they submit theirs on. :laugh:

I had my first residency interview yesterday, and have a few more coming up already so it's been a good start. :)
I have 2 out of 3 submitted, still waiting for the 3rd who I know is also on clinics right now. I know VIRMP sent out reminders to letter writers but it makes me nervous that it's due tomorrow and still not submitted. I don't want to bug them by sending an email as well but I feel like I should today maybe?

I have 2 out of 3 submitted, still waiting for the 3rd who I know is also on clinics right now. I know VIRMP sent out reminders to letter writers but it makes me nervous that it's due tomorrow and still not submitted. I don't want to bug them by sending an email as well but I feel like I should today maybe?
Ugh I’m in the same boat💀 it’s honestly so stressful. I’m just hoping they submit it tonight but I’m going to email tomorrow morning if they haven’t submitted by then.

Ugh I’m in the same boat💀 it’s honestly so stressful. I’m just hoping they submit it tonight but I’m going to email tomorrow morning if they haven’t submitted by then.
They submitted mine an hour ago! Crisis averted lol

From application status email:

“We will continue to accept SLOR submissions after January 9th for any references that have been entered into your online application packet.”

Hope this helps reduce anxiety by at least a little bit!

VIRMP ain’t dumb - they know clinicians can be last min about these things

How soon after the application deadline do academic institutions start sending out informal interviews for SA rotating internships? I know they said that they don't do interviews but many of my friends said that they end up calling.

How soon after the application deadline do academic institutions start sending out informal interviews for SA rotating internships? I know they said that they don't do interviews but many of my friends said that they end up calling.
A lot of places don't interview, but there are a few that do. If you look at these threads from previous years you can see the institutions that historically do and don't interview/reach out.

My academic interview offers last year were all in the late-middle to the end of January.

I basically made an excel sheet with various programs I was interested in and used previous threads in order to figure out who interviewed, who didn't and who sent letters/emails saying they were interested, Here's the info I gathered either from VIRMP or from previous threads:
Interviews:LSU, UF, TAMU, Wisconsin, Ohio, CSU, UT, Illinois
Reaches out if interested: Cornell, NC state, Michigan, Virginia, Maryland, Iowa, Missouri

Obviously this isn't complete and things could change, but hopefully this helps!

Reactions: 2 users
They submitted mine an hour ago! Crisis averted lol
Finally got all three in! I don't have a 4th LOR, but I ain't from the states so I can only make do with what I have. A little hick up I had was I totally forgot to include the programs I applied into the ranking list after the deadline. I got the shock of my life, sent an email to VIRMP and thank goodness they were nice enough to allow me to add the programs into my ranking list even after the deadline. Life saver, Jonathan. May god bless him. And now to crack my head in ranking the programs!

Finally got all three in! I don't have a 4th LOR, but I ain't from the states so I can only make do with what I have. A little hick up I had was I totally forgot to include the programs I applied into the ranking list after the deadline. I got the shock of my life, sent an email to VIRMP and thank goodness they were nice enough to allow me to add the programs into my ranking list even after the deadline. Life saver, Jonathan. May god bless him. And now to crack my head in ranking the programs!
Programs don’t need to be added to rank order list at this time! I was 100% sure but this post makes me 99.9% sure? Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: 3 users
Programs don’t need to be added to rank order list at this time! I was 100% sure but this post makes me 99.9% sure? Can anyone confirm?
Me too! As far as I'm aware Jan 9th was only for applications and Feb 17th is when the rank order is due??

Me too! As far as I'm aware Jan 9th was only for applications and Feb 17th is when the rank order is due??
Correct, you can add and delete programs from your rank list and change the rank order until February 17th at 9pm EST.

The freaky part was, the "add programs to rank order" button was not available on the list of my applied programs before I sent the email to the administrator. Perhaps the button went missing because I accidentally submitted an empty rank list thinking that I would be able to and and rank the programs in the ranking list. Got me all flustered on a Monday morning but all was good!

The freaky part was, the "add programs to rank order" button was not available on the list of my applied programs before I sent the email to the administrator. Perhaps the button went missing because I accidentally submitted an empty rank list thinking that I would be able to and and rank the programs in the ranking list. Got me all flustered on a Monday morning but all was good!
Oh yeah, sounds like it was because you actually submitted the rank list. Glad they fixed it for you!

For private internships, do you reach out for interviews for all the hospitals you applied for or just your top choices?

Hi everyone, does anyone know when we typically hear back from surgery residencies for interviews after applying?

Hi everyone, does anyone know when we typically hear back from surgery residencies for interviews after applying?
Not too sure about surgery, but I already got 3 interviews for IM residencies. As far as I know, universities usually take way longer to process interviews

Hey! I’ve applied for IM residencies. Have heard back from a few places but the message I got from most Universities was that they’re gonna reach out after Jan 9th.

Also where else did you apply?
Hi! Glad to hear there are others that applied for IM. I applied to a few universities and also AMC in ny. UPenn is one of my top choices and I still have not heard back from them regarding interviews. Have you applied to Penn and if so have they gotten back to you about interviews?

For private internships, do you reach out for interviews for all the hospitals you applied for or just your top choices?
I applied to a couple private internships and one of them reached out to me for an interview, the other has not yet

Hi! Glad to hear there are others that applied for IM. I applied to a few universities and also AMC in ny. UPenn is one of my top choices and I still have not heard back from them regarding interviews. Have you applied to Penn and if so have they gotten back to you about interviews?
Haven’t heard back from Penn. I have however heard back from the AMC and have an interview scheduled with them; and a few other private practices. Yet to hear from the universities!