2023 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haven’t heard back from Penn. I have however heard back from the AMC and have an interview scheduled with them; and a few other private practices. Yet to hear from the universities!
Ditto on all fronts!

Members don't see this ad.

Haven’t heard back from Penn. I have however heard back from the AMC and have an interview scheduled with them; and a few other private practices. Yet to hear from the universities!
Oregon approached for an interview this morning, so I guess some of them has already made their moves! But 1 out of 5, so, I guess its only 20% of them then.

I just got an email from Kansas State University regarding a small animal rotating internship! They basically said that they like my application and to reach out if I have any questions. Should I reach out even if I don’t have any questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email from Kansas State University regarding a small animal rotating internship! They basically said that they like my application and to reach out if I have any questions. Should I reach out even if I don’t have any questions?
Find some questions.

Reactions: 10 users
For those who are applying for academic small animal rotating internships, what are your top choices?

I applied for Large Animal and Equine rotating programs but a surgeon from K State also emailed and gave his phone number in case I had questions. I called last friday and asked about things that weren´t specified on their program description like research opportunities and at the end I asked if they were going to hold interviews with the rest of the team and that I was interested in scheduling one. He said he would see what he could do. I now have a group call scheduled for tomorrow. So I guess you could find some questions, call them, and if you want an interview, ask for one and see what they say.
Anyone else here applied for LA or equine internships? I have an interview with U Florida but that´s it. Haven´t heard from anyone else.

Reactions: 1 user
What is everybody’s thought on academic residencies vs private practice (like Angell or AMC) for internal medicine? I’ve got quite a few interviews lined up but am very confused at if AMC and Angell are just as reputed as any university. Any thoughts?!

What is everybody’s thought on academic residencies vs private practice (like Angell or AMC) for internal medicine? I’ve got quite a few interviews lined up but am very confused at if AMC and Angell are just as reputed as any university. Any thoughts?!
Not Angell or AMC. But my bestie got a university IM residency after completing a small animal rotating internship at a private practice in Chicago. She had interviews at 2 or 3 other universities as well.

Hi friends! This is my first time using VIRMP and I am applying to rotating internships! I applied to mostly academic institutions. For those of you that applied in the past, how soon after you submitted your application did you receive any feedback/interest Or did you receive any feedback? For those applying now, has anyone heard back from any academics? Sincerely looking for any sort of guidance through this waiting game 😅

Hi friends! This is my first time using VIRMP and I am applying to rotating internships! I applied to mostly academic institutions. For those of you that applied in the past, how soon after you submitted your application did you receive any feedback/interest Or did you receive any feedback? For those applying now, has anyone heard back from any academics? Sincerely looking for any sort of guidance through this waiting game 😅
I haven’t heard anything from the academics I applied to yet!!

Reactions: 1 users
I heard back from KSU saying that they like my application and asked if I had any questions. Otherwise, radio silence

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard back from 5 universities so far for IM residencies. Do all of them conduct interviews? Or just a few of them?
I’m a pathologist not an internist but I’d say in general, the vast, vast majority of residencies are going to interview their top candidates. Residency is a 3-5 year commitment between the program and applicant where you’ll be together all day every day, plus your performance on boards and in real life reflect back on the mentors so it’s important to find a good fit. Maybe they’d skip an interview if they already knew you but everyone I know who is part of the selection process at least does zoom interviews for their residency position. Internship is just a year, more people are chosen, and you’re often rotating through different departments so there’s less pressure and interviewing is probably not as critical.

Hey, does anyone have some tips or could direct me to some resources to prepare for residency interviews in US universities? I'm in the UK. This is my first time doing the match; I've done a fair amount of UK IM residency interviews but I have a few US Zoom ones upcoming and from what I hear the process is very different, so all tips welcome :)

I heard from Cornell today to schedule an interview! For the IM emphasis rotating though, not the regular rotating.

Hi! I applied for LA and Equine rotating only to Universities (because I´m a foreign vet) and have only heard from Kansas State and UFlorida (IM program). I emailed the other programs and one of them said they won´t be interviewing, others said they would send invitations soon (unfortunately I didn´t receive any). Maybe you can email directly and ask if they will be holding interviews, etc.

Hey, does anyone have some tips or could direct me to some resources to prepare for residency interviews in US universities? I'm in the UK. This is my first time doing the match; I've done a fair amount of UK IM residency interviews but I have a few US Zoom ones upcoming and from what I hear the process is very different, so all tips welcome :)
Never had to have interviews before, and being a foreigner myself I am also completely lost! However, I did stumble across this website. I don't know if it would be any help but here it is 🙃

Also if you are a memeber at Vin.com, the article 'Ace the Face to Face: Say and Ask the Right Things on your Interview' might help.

Both are NOT specific to resident interviews though😓

Just got an interview invite for SA rotating internship at Wisconsin

Got interest emails from Ohio State and Texas AM for SA rotating internships

Just got an interview invite for SA rotating internship at Wisconsin
Can I ask what your last name starts with? I'm just curious if they passed my last name and I'm out already lol Wisconsin is one of my top schools

I applied to private specialty practices and have received interviews at:
  • Colorado Animal Specialty and Emergency (CASE)
  • Wheatridge Animal Hospital (Colorado)
  • VCA Alameda East (Colorado)
  • VCA Animal Referral and Emergency Center of Arizona
  • Wisconsin Veterinary Referral Center
Still waiting to hear from a few others.

Colorado Animal Specialty and Emergency (CASE)
As an ER vet in CO (non-specialty), I love CASE. These folks are so kind, have no problem letting me transfer things that are out of our capabilities, and are phenomenal with clients we transfer to them.

Can I ask what your last name starts with? I'm just curious if they passed my last name and I'm out already lol Wisconsin is one of my top schools
My last name starts with S

Just got an interview invite for Florida as well

As an ER vet in CO (non-specialty), I love CASE. These folks are so kind, have no problem letting me transfer things that are out of our capabilities, and are phenomenal with clients we transfer to them.
I actually have been completing an externship with them the past 2 weeks and they are more than amazing! :)

• Love
Has anyone on here interviewed with Friendship or AAMC for rotatings?? I am interviewing with both at the end of this week and have heard that the AAMC interview is "interesting" and am trying to get more info about what that means

For anyone who has applied before: what’s the etiquette for thank yous for litter writers for rotatings? Is it expected? Do people typically just do a card or anything else? And do people usually do it after match or any time after they submit letters? Thanks!!

Theyre not required by any means but I think they’re nice. I think a short thank you email or card is always appreciated. I am in charge of the resident extern program at my job and while someone sending a thank you wont be the the thing that makes or breaks an application for future employment, it does give me a favorable impression of the person. It’s nice to be appreciated especially since they sacrificed time to do the letters for you. I’d send them after the deadline and thank them for their time. But not everyone had a mother who forced us to do them all their lives like I did lol.

• Care
Apparently UF will not be doing interviews this year, only reaching out if they have questions about your application. Still waiting to hear from a lot of the other academic sites I applied to! Which academic sites for rotating internships has everyone heard from so far?

Apparently UF will not be doing interviews this year, only reaching out if they have questions about your application. Still waiting to hear from a lot of the other academic sites I applied to! Which academic sites for rotating internships has everyone heard from so far?
I've heard from KSU, OSU, Texas AM and LSU. LSU is the only place that asked for a formal interview. The others just wanted to hear what questions I had.

That’s not exactly correct. I was specifically contacted for an interview from UF (the email tagline was literally “UF Internship Interview”) which had pretty similar info as the Wisconsin email. The whole “you’re a very strong applicant, we’d love to extend the opportunity to interview” sort of thing. It may be dependent on who’s reviewing the applications. But UF is absolutely interviewing.

That’s not exactly correct. I was specifically contacted for an interview from UF (the email tagline was literally “UF Internship Interview”) which had pretty similar info as the Wisconsin email. The whole “you’re a very strong applicant, we’d love to extend the opportunity to interview” sort of thing. It may be dependent on who’s reviewing the applications. But UF is absolutely interviewing.
Strange, sorry for the confusion. My information came directly from the contact person on the VIRMP site- pretty much saying they had an overwhelming number of applicants and aren’t doing a “formal” interview process. Don’t really know the implication of “formal” so I guess it has to be the individual members of the committee doing exactly what you said. Either way, good luck on your interview!

I haven’t heard from any of the academic sites I applied to yet, including UF! It’s making me a little nervous 😬

Hello everyone, wondering two things (regarding residencies)
1-LSU, Wisconsin, Austin, Georgia, NCS, UF, Cornell,TAMU, Missouri, Mississippi: anyone been contacted for radiology interviews?
2-would it be okay to email programs (some of who you have already spoken with) just to say hello and make yourself avaliable.

Thanks!

Hi there!

So for Mizzou and Mississippi State, I believe you needed to contact them requesting an interview. I think it's too late for MS State, but Mizzou is still conducting interviews, so you may still be able to request one.

TAMU's interview invites should be going out around today.

I have heard from Georgia, NCSU, UF, and Cornell. I have not yet heard from LSU, Wisconsin, or Auburn.

Hi there!

So for Mizzou and Mississippi State, I believe you needed to contact them requesting an interview. I think it's too late for MS State, but Mizzou is still conducting interviews, so you may still be able to request one.

TAMU's interview invites should be going out around today.

I have heard from Georgia, NCSU, UF, and Cornell. I have not yet heard from LSU, Wisconsin, or Auburn.
Wow!! Congrats and thanks. I guess I am not on the list for gerogia, NCSU, UF or Cornell 😔
Anyone email a program after the applications close? Good ideia? Bad ideia?

Heard back from Georgia, Texas AM, Purdue, Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas, Auburn, Virginia tech for IM residencies.
Anybody know if any other universities have already reached out??

Hello everyone, wondering two things (regarding residencies)
1-LSU, Wisconsin, Austin, Georgia, NCS, UF, Cornell,TAMU, Missouri, Mississippi: anyone been contacted for radiology interviews?
2-would it be okay to email programs (some of who you have already spoken with) just to say hello and make yourself avaliable.

Thanks!
Unfortunately Match is a game, and reading the VIRMP descriptions closely is very important. NCSU says on their listing to reach out to them to schedule an interview, I'm unsure for the other programs, but it's never a bad idea to reach out to make yourself known and show your interest.

Unfortunately Match is a game, and reading the VIRMP descriptions closely is very important. NCSU says on their listing to reach out to them to schedule an interview, I'm unsure for the other programs, but it's never a bad idea to reach out to make yourself known and show your interest.
Absolutely, I was just wondering if reaching out, again, would be seen as too pushy...any input? Thanks