2023 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Absolutely, I was just wondering if reaching out, again, would be seen as too pushy...any input? Thanks
Oh gotcha, sorry I must have misread your initial post. If you have already contacted the programs individually to inquire about interviews I probably wouldn't reach out again.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh gotcha, sorry I must have misread your initial post. If you have already contacted the programs individually to inquire about interviews I probably wouldn't reach out again.
Thanks that was the input I was looking for. I don't want to be too pushy but dang this waiting is KILLING me!!!

Heard back from Georgia, Texas AM, Purdue, Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas, Auburn, Virginia tech for IM residencies.
Anybody know if any other universities have already reached out??
Penn and Davis also reached out

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

Due dates to confirm our program rank is getting closer and I wanted to gain some insight to how one would approach this system.

So I know that you should rank programs based on your preference to specific institutions, but how would an interview invite/notice emails that you are a strong applicant play a role? Should you be ranking the programs on the lower side if you somehow know if the institution is not interested? or should you rank them high just based on your preference?

Any input would be super helpful, thanks!

+ Has anyone been contacted by Georgia or Ontario for SA rotating internships?

Reactions: 1 users
Rank them how you want them. Don’t get involved in mind games, do what you think is best for you.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, this is a question I have too. The places that don´t interview for residency positions, I think that shows a lack of interest on the program's part, no?

Here is a thought: Has anyone who has been in the match before, ever been contacted for an interview AFTER the candidates have ranked their choices?

With the way the matching system works, it is best to rank programs based on your true preferences. The system will try to match you with your top preference (as long as they ranked you too), and you'll keep that spot until/unless there is another applicant that ranked that program as their top preference and that the program ranked them higher than you. At that point you'll be moved to your second preference, and so on until best possible matches all happen. So if you really want to end up somewhere, it pays to rank it high.

Now, for programs that you know do interviews and only rank people who they interview, it makes sense not to rank a program if they didn't interview you, since you know they're not going to rank you.

Has anyone been contacted for interviews from LA/Equine rotating academic programs ? So far I´ve only interviewed with Kansas and Florida but I haven´t heard anything from other programs.

Hey guys!

Due dates to confirm our program rank is getting closer and I wanted to gain some insight to how one would approach this system.

So I know that you should rank programs based on your preference to specific institutions, but how would an interview invite/notice emails that you are a strong applicant play a role? Should you be ranking the programs on the lower side if you somehow know if the institution is not interested? or should you rank them high just based on your preference?

Any input would be super helpful, thanks!

+ Has anyone been contacted by Georgia or Ontario for SA rotating internships?
Georgia doesn’t do interviews, on their VIRMP page close to the bottom it basically says interviews aren’t considered nor encouraged for applicants. So I’m guessing they rank purely on your application packet (like NC state)

Georgia doesn’t do interviews, on their VIRMP page close to the bottom it basically says interviews aren’t considered nor encouraged for applicants. So I’m guessing they rank purely on your application packet (like NC state)

I was wondering since I saw some posts that although they don’t direct interviews they do reach out to prospective interns! but I also saw a post saying they don’t

Guess I’ll know for sure on match day!

Got an email from Illinois to schedule a meeting to ask about any questions I have about their small animal rotating internship. I met with them today. Just an FYI, they told me that they're only contacting those who they're ranking.

I was wondering since I saw some posts that although they don’t direct interviews they do reach out to prospective interns! but I also saw a post saying they don’t

Guess I’ll know for sure on match day!
I have talked to one of the current interns there and UGA reached out to them to answer questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
In case anyone else is applying for exotics/zoo specialty internships, so far I have heard from Cornell, Kansas State, Tufts, the Fort Worth Zoo, and the Minnesota Zoo for interviews.

Edit: Also heard from Illinois today for a phone call, not an interview but they're reaching out to candidates they're interested in so that the candidates can ask questions and such.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard from any oncology internships or residencies?

Struggling a bit with where to rank one of my choices for small animal rotating. My goal is an IM residency afterwards and I applied to mostly academic rotatings and a couple of private practices with the intention of ranking the practices lower than academics. After interviewing with one of the practices I really liked the clinicians, it’s in my dream city to live in, the pay is more than double academic internships and I know I’d be REALLY happy there for a year. However, this is the first year that this practice has had an internship program and I am worried about this affecting my chances of getting an IM residency as opposed to doing a well known and established academic internship. I’m not planning on ranking it in my top 3 but seriously considering top 5, not sure how wise that is???

I’m not in IM so take this with a grain of salt, but who your letter writers are and what they say about you holds more weight than the actual program or the length of time it’s been around. Honestly internship is more about paying dues, making connections, and going through the process than actually needing to teach you something in prep for residency in my opinion. When I was reviewing apps for residency spots I never bothered to look up the internship location or research it so I never would have known whether it was a new program or not. The fact that you did one was good enough to me. I’d care much more that you got a good letter of recommendation from the internist there. A well known internship location would have maybe made me go “huh neat” but a good letter of rec from an internist as a lesser known internship program would go farther with me than a lukewarm one at a “famous” institution. I mean an outstanding letter from a famous academic internist might be the best, but it can be hard for those huge names to really get to know interns if they aren’t on clinics often. I actually think you can learn more and get more hands on experience in private practice than academia because there’s less people “in line” you have to share with…in academic internships you have to “compete” or “share” with both students and residents that usually aren’t there in PP.

All that to say I don’t think it really matters and just rank them how you want. If it’s supposed to work out it will.

Reactions: 2 users
For what it’s worth

Academic SA rotating internships I’ve applied to: NCSU, UFL, UGA, UMN, UWI, Michigan State, Purdue.

Interview invites: UFL, UWI

Reached out to me personally (non-interview): UGA

Generic email (non-personalized): Michigan, NCSU

A member of the NCSU internship committee does locum work at my school and reached out to my school’s fourth year class to meet with anyone with questions about the program so no one I know of at my school has gotten a specific email individually. This may be different for applicants from different schools.

Struggling a bit with where to rank one of my choices for small animal rotating. My goal is an IM residency afterwards and I applied to mostly academic rotatings and a couple of private practices with the intention of ranking the practices lower than academics. After interviewing with one of the practices I really liked the clinicians, it’s in my dream city to live in, the pay is more than double academic internships and I know I’d be REALLY happy there for a year. However, this is the first year that this practice has had an internship program and I am worried about this affecting my chances of getting an IM residency as opposed to doing a well known and established academic internship. I’m not planning on ranking it in my top 3 but seriously considering top 5, not sure how wise that is???
To be honest I can relate to this. I went from GP directly to a specialty IM internship at a practice in my dream city. Over here its the first year that an IM internship is even being offered. But the internists here are really well known and have been in the field for a really long time. Its helped me tremendously in getting over 15 interviews for IM residencies so far. I think its more about who writes your letters and how hard you work than anything else! hope this helps

I've applied to several academic SA rotating internships and I've only heard back from one, which is making me a bit nervous... For the universities that have already sent interview invites or generic outreach emails (ex. wisconsin, NCSU)- if I haven't received anything from them at this point, is it safe to assume they are not ranking me? Or is there a possibility I may still hear from them before our ranking deadline?

Just trying to get a sense of how this all works so I can gauge where I stand before submitting my rankings. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
I've applied to several academic SA rotating internships and I've only heard back from one, which is making me a bit nervous... For the universities that have already sent interview invites or generic outreach emails (ex. wisconsin, NCSU)- if I haven't received anything from them at this point, is it safe to assume they are not ranking me? Or is there a possibility I may still hear from them before our ranking deadline?

Just trying to get a sense of how this all works so I can gauge where I stand before submitting my rankings. Thank you!
if you haven’t heard from a place that has reached out to other applicants it is most likely a sign they wont be ranking you however, you never know. Rotating internships often rank many more people than they have spots for to avoid the scramble. You could still be ranked by them but less likely than candidates they have been in contact with.

Very much depends on the program. Some programs reach out to their absolute top applicants. Some reach out to everyone. Some members of the internship committee reach out to people they like while other members don’t. That being said, if a place has a track record for only ranking applicants they’ve interviewed/emailed, then I’d trust that.

Academic SA rotating internships I’ve applied to: Auburn, CSU, Cornell, Tufts, UF, UGA, Illinois, KSU, LSU, Missouri, NCSU, OSU, UPenn, Purdue, Tennessee, Texas AM, Wisconsin

Interview invites: Wisconsin, LSU

Reached out to see if I had questions: UF, UGA, Illinois, KSU, OSU, Texas AM

Also, a lot of people have told me not to stress if you haven't gotten an interview/phone call. One of my friends didn't get any interviews/phone calls and matched to Auburn for a SA rotating internship. Like people have said, some people just don't interview/call and it even varies from faculty to faculty.

Are you from

Are you from avma accredited vet university? Any tips for foreign grads?
Im a foreign vet grad. Pass BCSE, NAVLE, CPE and then get some work experience and then apply to internships!

Are you from

Are you from avma accredited vet university? Any tips for foreign grads?
I´m also a foreign grad from an AVMA listed school. In my experience, there´s many programs that state on the VIRMP page that they do not take applicants without a US licence but I´ve realized many DO take us even without a licence. I basically emailed directly each of the programs I was interested on and asked if they would take a foreign grad and many said they would, some even had foreign grads as current house officers.
I´m currently applying for rotating internships (only academic programs since Universities are the ones able to accept foreign graduates and give you an institutional licence) in order to get more experience and learn from US doctors so I can then pass the ECFVG steps.

For the academic internships that have reached out to applicants to see if they have questions, if I've heard nothing (like not even a generic email) is it assumed I probably won't be ranked? I know a lot of this feels like ~mind games~ but at this point I'm trying to figure out how likely it is that I'm going to be scrambling haha

For the academic internships that have reached out to applicants to see if they have questions, if I've heard nothing (like not even a generic email) is it assumed I probably won't be ranked? I know a lot of this feels like ~mind games~ but at this point I'm trying to figure out how likely it is that I'm going to be scrambling haha
From what I've gathered, programs rank more people than they reach out to, so I wouldn't say you should assume you won't be ranked. But I would say you won't be ranked as high as people who have heard from them. So, not a guarantee you'll have to scramble, but more likely than if you had heard from them, if that makes sense.

Does anyone know if CSU or Minnesota have already reached out to any SA rotating internship applicants?

Does anyone know if CSU or Minnesota have already reached out to any SA rotating internship applicants?
I haven’t heard anything from CSU. I don’t know if they reached out to anyone else? I also didn’t email them to ask though

I have not heard from either. I am a current student at UMN and I don't think they usually reach out to intern applicants

Can anyone who was in the scramble for a SA rotating before talk about the experience? Like, what should I expect if I'm in the scramble? Is there a list of open internship spots to reach out to? How long does it usually last?

Hi! I was in the scramble last year. You'll log in when match results are released and find that you didn't match to anyone on your rank list. Then you can do the typical search for programs which will reveal those programs who still have seats open/unmatched and then you basically just go through that list and reach out to programs you like. You will want to put at least your application number in the email, but some programs had trouble finding my app last year, so you could also just send all of the application materials you have (probably everything but your letters).

At the same time, I think on the main account page will be a button that you hit to either show your application to unmatched programs or basically say "I have a job now, please stop showing me" and if you have selected to show your application, then programs with unmatched spots will be bombarding your listed email address with emails advertising their unmatched seats.

All in, I was probably listed as "unmatched" for about an hour where I reached out to 4-5 programs (some of which I'd applied to originally) that had unmatched seats where I then accepted a position with one of them. At the same time I received probably a hundred emails from other programs/hospitals asking if I was interested in their unmatched seats. Some of these people really go through your app and tailor their email to your interests or what they think you might be interested in, so there could be some really great opportunities here if you read through them. I didn't see them until after I'd already accepted a position. I also continued to receive a small trickle of emails for at least a few days after from programs who had the original unmatched list as well.

Hi! I was in the scramble last year. You'll log in when match results are released and find that you didn't match to anyone on your rank list. Then you can do the typical search for programs which will reveal those programs who still have seats open/unmatched and then you basically just go through that list and reach out to programs you like. You will want to put at least your application number in the email, but some programs had trouble finding my app last year, so you could also just send all of the application materials you have (probably everything but your letters).

At the same time, I think on the main account page will be a button that you hit to either show your application to unmatched programs or basically say "I have a job now, please stop showing me" and if you have selected to show your application, then programs with unmatched spots will be bombarding your listed email address with emails advertising their unmatched seats.

All in, I was probably listed as "unmatched" for about an hour where I reached out to 4-5 programs (some of which I'd applied to originally) that had unmatched seats where I then accepted a position with one of them. At the same time I received probably a hundred emails from other programs/hospitals asking if I was interested in their unmatched seats. Some of these people really go through your app and tailor their email to your interests or what they think you might be interested in, so there could be some really great opportunities here if you read through them. I didn't see them until after I'd already accepted a position. I also continued to receive a small trickle of emails for at least a few days after from programs who had the original unmatched list as well.
Wow that seems like a super fast process! I was debating waiting until the end of the day to look at my match results, but I guess I should open it right when I get the email:dead:

Wow that seems like a super fast process! I was debating waiting until the end of the day to look at my match results, but I guess I should open it right when I get the email:dead:
It is quite fast, hence the name "scramble" haha

People who are applying to academic small animal rotating, what are your top three schools? Mine are CSU, Wisconsin and NCSU

People who are applying to academic small animal rotating, what are your top three schools? Mine are CSU, Wisconsin and NCSU
Mine are Cornell medicine emphasis, NCSU medicine emphasis, UMN

I went for Oregon, Saskatchewan, Auburn and Georgia

Is it unheard of to stay on as a specialized intern or resident at an academic institution?? I know a lot of private practices will keep their rotating interns on as their residents/specialized interns, but I wasn’t sure if academics were the same way👀

Is it unheard of to stay on as a specialized intern or resident at an academic institution?? I know a lot of private practices will keep their rotating interns on as their residents/specialized interns, but I wasn’t sure if academics were the same way👀
Not unheard of at all, really just depends on the program and their preferences. Same with keeping specialty interns for residencies. It was one of the things I asked about with some of the places I applied.

In my experience (at two institutions) it’s pretty common. If they know you and like you they’re more likely to pick you than a random unonown applicant. I’d say during my three years of residency, probably about a third of our interns ended up staying for further training? And about a quarter to a third went back to their original vet school, and the remaining third went somewhere new.

Just got a message of interest from Cornell for SA rotating!

I got an email of interest from Michigan small animal rotating on Friday. I haven't heard from Cornell today, but my last name is at the end of the alphabet so we're going to go with that for now lol
Just got a message of interest from Cornell for SA rotating!

I got an email of interest from Michigan small animal rotating on Friday. I haven't heard from Cornell today, but my last name is at the end of the alphabet so we're going to go with that for now lol
I honestly wouldn’t worry in your case, you interviewed with them already so they are obviously interested in you as an intern!

I honestly wouldn’t worry in your case, you interviewed with them already so they are obviously interested in you as an intern!
I interviewed for their medicine emphasis rotating but not for the general rotating, I applied to both. But I ranked the medicine emphasis much higher!

I interviewed for their medicine emphasis rotating but not for the general rotating, I applied to both. But I ranked the medicine emphasis much higher!
I honestly wouldn’t worry about it since you already interview for their other internship! They probably know you don’t have any additional questions.