2023-2024 Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
ll just now! IS, submitted secondary early June. 3.4 and 501

Reactions: 1 users
II yesterday! IS, 3.9 and 507. complete on 7/24

Im a first year here, If yall have any questions just reach out! I had very mediocre stats btw

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Im a first year here, If yall have any questions just reach out! I had very mediocre stats btw
GoMedicineGo,

How do you like it? Would you consider the school friendly to older non-trads? Best lunch spot? Is there a dress code for class? Anything else you’d like to share?

Thanks!

How common is it for schools to scrap their interviews and only host group q&a? This is honestly really comforting.

How common is it for schools to scrap their interviews and only host group q&a? This is honestly really comforting.
Yeah! I really like this. However, what does the post “interview” acceptance look like then if we are mostly asking THEM questions? Have they already decided to give us acceptances? A bit confused.

Wait, so CUSOM no longer hosts interviews? Is it just a Q and A?
“Extending this trend, CUSOM recently changed its admissions process from formal, traditional one-on-one interviews, to small group conversational sessions as described below. The goal is to provide a welcoming environment to all applicants, so much so that we even changed the name from “Interview Day” to “Applicant Day” because, after all, it really is all about you, the applicant!

Applicants to CUSOM are no longer asked traditional interview style questions. Instead, you will meet with several faculty, staff, and students, as well as some other applicants (your future classmates and your future physician colleagues!), in small groups.

These are 30-minute open-ended, application blind conversations, primarily focusing on your questions. After all, we have reviewed all of your application documents, and have already determined you have what it takes to become an excellent physician!”

Reactions: 3 users
Oh wow. So who gets to be the person in the group who breaks the ice asking, "sooooo, why do you want to become a doctor...." It's an interesting approach. One I'm not sure translates well to a virtual environment (just think of the last Zoom meeting or Teams call you were on). It would be great in person. I know other schools do similar interviews these days, but they're supplemental to the MMI or traditional interview. Either way, I'm still hoping for an II, and I certainly won't complain if I'm invited to continue the application path at CUSOM. Purkinjekitty, thanks for the update!

“Extending this trend, CUSOM recently changed its admissions process from formal, traditional one-on-one interviews, to small group conversational sessions as described below. The goal is to provide a welcoming environment to all applicants, so much so that we even changed the name from “Interview Day” to “Applicant Day” because, after all, it really is all about you, the applicant!

Applicants to CUSOM are no longer asked traditional interview style questions. Instead, you will meet with several faculty, staff, and students, as well as some other applicants (your future classmates and your future physician colleagues!), in small groups.

These are 30-minute open-ended, application blind conversations, primarily focusing on your questions. After all, we have reviewed all of your application documents, and have already determined you have what it takes to become an excellent physician!”
Although I appreciate their concern for the applicants, I'm a little confused by this decision. How are they going to decide who is qualified to attend the school among people who are invited to attend Applicant Day if they are not going to interview us?

Is it that anyone who has gotten an II is automatically accepted because the last sentence kind of makes it seem that way? If so, that's fantastic. If not, are they going to evaluate our candidacy by who asks the best questions in the group? I honestly find that even more stressful lol.

@GoMedicineGo , It would be great if one of the current students who have insight could clear up how the new process is going to work!

“application blind conversations, primarily focusing on your questions. After all, we have reviewed all of your application documents, and have already determined you have what it takes to become an excellent physician!” This seems like the interviewees just need to show up and they will be accepted. Don’t know though
Although I appreciate their concern for the applicants, I'm a little confused by this decision. How are they going to decide who is qualified to attend the school among people who are invited to attend Applicant Day if they are not going to interview us?

Is it that anyone who has gotten an II is automatically accepted because the last sentence kind of makes it seem that way? If so, that's fantastic. If not, are they going to evaluate our candidacy by who asks the best questions in the group? I honestly find that even more stressful lol.

@GoMedicineGo , It would be great if one of the current students who have insight could clear up how the new process is going to work!

“application blind conversations, primarily focusing on your questions. After all, we have reviewed all of your application documents, and have already determined you have what it takes to become an excellent physician!” This seems like the interviewees just need to show up and they will be accepted. Don’t know though
If so, this is a crazy way of finding out I'm going to be a future doctor. Not going to get my hopes up just yet though.

Right? “your future classmates and your future physician colleagues!” It’s like they are saying, hey we already accepted you and this meeting is more for you to meet the people you’ll be going to school with and ask us questions about cusom. It’s the most positive email I’ve received from a med school. A bit confused.

Last edited:
So does anyone have any idea how to prep for this “interview” then. How do you prep for a group Q&A where you can stand out?

I think the first “interviews” are next week so I’m sure we’ll know more then. I would prep questions that you would want to know about the school that you might spend the next few years of your life!

Last edited:
I signed up for a September interview date. If anyone with an August interview could explain how everything works and whether we are accepted once you guys go through that process that would be great.

With how many interview days and spots available, I would not consider this an acceptance y’all!

I’m sure they thought about this carefully and will have their own way to determine our fit after the applicant day, but they are interviewing at least 500+ and only seat 160 or so?

Anyone know if the new interview system will change the post-II acceptance rate?

GoMedicineGo,

How do you like it? Would you consider the school friendly to older non-trads? Best lunch spot? Is there a dress code for class? Anything else you’d like to share?

Thanks!
I would consider it to be quite friendly with older non-trad students. Off the top of my head, I know at least 4 30+ year olds with full career changes in my class. Honestly food wise, there isn't much walking distance from campus, but near the undergrad campus there is a pizza place with killer "pizza rolls". So far, the dress code has been followed by almost everybody, however it doesn't seem strictly enforced. I've seen multiple people show up for quizzes and exams in "comfy and athletic" attire.

When it comes to sharing anything else, I'd just make it aware that you have quizzes every Friday covering lecture material M-W as well as combined lecture exams consisting of anywhere from 95-140ish questions with 1min20seconds to answer each question (# questions x 1min20sec = total time allowed). It seems like a lot, but it is because each professor is given 3 questions per lecture.

If y'all have any more questions, feel free to reach out!

I got a secondary from CUSOM many weeks ago but haven’t submitted it because of this information on their website. (See attachment)
IMG_1445.png

As a NY resident, would I just be giving them a donation if I submit the secondary? I like the school and the state/area but I got absolutely 0 connection to NC

I got a secondary from CUSOM many weeks ago but haven’t submitted it because of this information on their website. (See attachment) View attachment 375807
As a NY resident, would I just be giving them a donation if I submit the secondary? I like the school and the state/area but I got absolutely 0 connection to NC
I’d apply. Statistics don’t tell the whole story. Campbell is a private school. I think what you’re seeing in that individual statistic is that individuals, if given a chance and a choice, will elect to study near home/ a geographically familiar base of support. Good luck! If successful, you’ll like NC. It’s different than NY in many ways…but it’s grown on me to the point where I consider it my home.

I got a secondary from CUSOM many weeks ago but haven’t submitted it because of this information on their website. (See attachment) View attachment 375807
Def apply! I'm originally from NY and just recently moved to CT and just got an interview.

Had my "interview" today. it was pretty much a 4 hours meet and greet. it's just a vibe check. they are probably seeing who is speaking up, who is listening attentively, who is weird, who is social, etc. but it was all a meet and greet style. we asked the questions and they answered. just be yourself and have genuine questions you are wondering about cusom ready:) good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Had my "interview" today. it was pretty much a 4 hours meet and greet. it's just a vibe check. they are probably seeing who is speaking up, who is listening attentively, who is weird, who is social, etc. but it was all a meet and greet style. we asked the questions and they answered. just be yourself and have genuine questions you are wondering about custom ready:) good luck!
How many other people were interviewing? I can’t help but think it’s going to be lots of people trying to talk over each other to make their presence known

Had my "interview" today. it was pretty much a 4 hours meet and greet. it's just a vibe check. they are probably seeing who is speaking up, who is listening attentively, who is weird, who is social, etc. but it was all a meet and greet style. we asked the questions and they answered. just be yourself and have genuine questions you are wondering about custom ready:) good luck!
Did it feel as though someone was taking notes or something?

Has anyone who interviewed last week heard back from CUSOM? I know they told us it'll probably just take one week.

Has anyone who interviewed last week heard back from CUSOM? I know they told us it'll probably just take one week.
No, but judging from last year forums looks like they got back to most people who interviewed within 2 weeks

Just got another email stating that the Prescreen Committee recently met and decided that they cannot move forward with my application. They also said to let them know if I retake the MCAT, so that's definitely the problem. My journey ends here for CUSOM but gl everyone, I hope all yall crush your interviews and get that A!
I'm sorry to hear that. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Anyone hear back from the first week of interviews yet?

Just got an acceptance email!!! Interviewed 8/22

• Love
Reactions: 7 users