2022 NHSC Scholarship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you for sharing! how can you tell between stipend vs ORC when they're deposited into our bank account?
how much should ORC be around? since we know that stipend should be around $1400 before taxes
You will know because the stipend sum will be 5x whatever it is now (1466?) minus taxes and it’ll show the exact amounts deposited in your portal. Everyone’s ORC is different based on what your school reported but I generally see most have it around 4-6k.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to everyone! I received it last year (looking at my Snapchat flashbacks and thought of you guys). If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. It’s pretty straightforward from here, especially if your school knows what it’s doing. I literally don’t have to do anything but attach an unofficial transcript to a form every semester.

I got my ORC + lump sum for the 4-5 months at the end of October.

Also note, if the ORC seems too good to be true, it may be. My school added in living costs (which is covered by stipend) and I had to return 2/3 of it. A few students were panicking a bit and had to take out additional student loans to pay it back when they contacted us months later.
so do you think it is a good idea to let our school know not to add living costs?

You will know because the stipend sum will be 5x whatever it is now (1466?) minus taxes and it’ll show the exact amounts deposited in your portal. Everyone’s ORC is different based on what your school reported but I generally see most have it around 4-6k.
would the 4-6k be only for the first deposit and the rest would only be 1466 stipend per month?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I had the longest wait time last year between signing and official email so don’t panic, it’s official!
Do you know if the monthly stipend differs per year? Concerned about inflation and the cost of rent in my school's area

wait so the first week of November we get ORC + 4-5 months of stipend??? That's basically 11K+6.5K = 17.5K?

Because your scholarship technically started in July even though you don’t even get notified of it until September. So they’ll pay tuition back to July and they pay your stipend back to July as well.
ohh wow! thats so amazing!
and for the ORC, that will be a one time thing every year right? not every month?

Members don't see this ad :)
if your school didn’t start until august 31st will you still get back pay to june or no?

Do you know if the monthly stipend differs per year? Concerned about inflation and the cost of rent in my school's area
$30 after taxes.😂 Unfortunately with my rent cost, I took out some student loans so I have money for things besides rent.

• Haha
would the 4-6k be only for the first deposit and the rest would only be 1466 stipend per month?
You’re going to get rent from July so like 5x the stipend which you will continue to get every month plus the ORC which is once a year for supplies/etc.

so do you think it is a good idea to let our school know not to add living costs?
Honestly, I think I had a pretty isolated case.. And if your ORC isn’t crazy high, there shouldn’t be any worry. I thought it may have been an error on their part from when we had to print the school’s estimated costs but I guess the Lschool submits it too?

$30 after taxes.😂 Unfortunately with my rent cost, I took out some student loans so I have money for things besides rent.
wait im confused. what do u mean $30 after taxes??
and i thought stipend would cover our rent??

I have some student loan refunds that I am living off of right now. Should I be doing anything with it right now or come payment time?

EDIT: The refunds are from a disbursement for this semester, and I had also applied for loans for next semester.

just got updated to PARTICIPANT role from Applicant!

Reactions: 1 users
When should I start to get concerned about not getting a summer EVF or a countersignature?

When should I start to get concerned about not getting a summer EVF or a countersignature?
same, also how many ppl per year end up getting notified as a finalist but not getting a countersignature?

I have some student loan refunds that I am living off of right now. Should I be doing anything with it right now or come payment time?

EDIT: The refunds are from a disbursement for this semester, and I had also applied for loans for next semester.
I don’t think you need to do anything yet. I would just live frugal until next semester when you know that everything is going smoothly. My first semester was rough and I ended up returning too many loans and had to request my loan servicer reverse my payment. Don’t jump the gun. Just let everything happen first.

My portal just updated today from applicant to participant!!

Reactions: 2 users
Virtually zero, but I’m sure there has been a situation somewhere where it maybe happened once or twice.
Man I hope everyone saying this is right because I’m dying for the countersign already 😭

The odds are in our favor but damn the suspense is killing me!!

Still waiting for countersig lol Signed 8/10

I'm reading a ton of info about countersignatures but I am still psyching myself out. If I have a countersignature (by Jaime King), that means I got the scholarship - correct? And I just have to wait for the official notification email?
Also, people keep saying that they went to "Role" and the option of "participant" showed up. I don't see where Role even is on the portal. Thanks everyone!

Did you just log into your scholarship portal and it brought you straight to participant instead of applicant?

I went to applicant and it said I had been updated to participant. So now when I log in I have to click on the participant option, because the “applicant” option no longer really works for me.

Congrats to everyone who has gotton countersigned!
Does anyone know if anyone from the second round of finalist gotten their countersignatures yet? I signed 8/16 and just trying to keep track of things.

I sent all the documentations to my school and they said,

"Thank you for informing us about the award, however, in order for us to invoice for your scholarship, as I believe HRSA does require an invoice, we need to have an actual financial guarantee letter from the third party detailing at least 1. how much the scholarship will be for and 2. which semester the payment is for.

Please provide an authorization letter which meets these minimum requirements, and I will defer your account for the amount of the award."

Bruhh, what do I do?

"Thank you for informing us about the award, however, in order for us to invoice for your scholarship, as I believe HRSA does require an invoice, we need to have an actual financial guarantee letter from the third party detailing at least 1. how much the scholarship will be for and 2. which semester the payment is for.

Please provide an authorization letter which meets these minimum requirements, and I will defer your account for the amount of the award."

Bruhh, what do I do?
@cooliyak please help lol

I went to applicant and it said I had been updated to participant. So now when I log in I have to click on the participant option, because the “applicant” option no longer really works for me.

Did you have to activate your participant account? I tried logging on to applicant earlier and it said I didn’t have the security privileges to view the applicant page. So then I clicked participant and it said activate your account. When I put in my info it says “this record is already associated with an existing portal account. Please contact BHW for further assistance”

I tried entering the applicant page again and just now I can see my application and contract (when earlier it said I couldn’t) but the participant page still says the same thing about the portal account already existing? Still no countersignature though 🧍🏽‍♀️What’s happening

Congrats to everyone who has gotton countersigned!
Does anyone know if anyone from the second round of finalist gotten their countersignatures yet? I signed 8/16 and just trying to keep track of things.
Same position for me!

I'm reading a ton of info about countersignatures but I am still psyching myself out. If I have a countersignature (by Jaime King), that means I got the scholarship - correct? And I just have to wait for the official notification email?
Also, people keep saying that they went to "Role" and the option of "participant" showed up. I don't see where Role even is on the portal. Thanks everyone!
Yes. Just be patient and your portal should update soon.

Bruhh, what do I do?
That might be a school specific issue. I had something similar, but my bursar just reached out to the NHSC and verified my scholarship. They took it from there and I never had an issue again. The first one is the rough one.

I'm in the same boat, just downloading my contract 10x to check the counter signature is still there 😂 countersigned 9/2 about 1pm and haven't gotten a congrats email or updated portal yet 🤷🏻‍♀️ I'm sure it'll come just this waiting is a bit torturous

so, do we just send the PPT to our school? how do we request the school to get in touch with the NHSC?

Yes, if the school has had scholars in the past, they should know how it works and get things taken care of
ok thank you so much! im not sure if theyve had recipients in the past but hopefully they did so they'll know how to navigate through this!

@cooliyak please help lol
You might be able to submit that as a question in your portal, but knowing the NHSC, I really don’t think that they will provide a letter like that. It will probably come down to you strong-arming your school into just invoicing the NHSC. If they haven’t had a scholar before, I would go into your bursar’s office and ask to speak with someone in person. Bring your award letter and contact. If they have, ask that they contact someone at the NHSC to verify things themselves.

Countersigned this morning at 9:06!!!! 😅. So they are still rolling. Submitted documents 8/11 and did not receive a summer EVF yet. Hope this calms anxiety for others, coz I know I was STRESSED! Now I can breathe.

Reactions: 5 users