2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How often do students get their top choice for 3rd year rotations? Is the gulf coast a competitive spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if our tuition, insurance, and other fees are charged by semester or by year?

Im international and cannot take on federal student loans. I was thinking if they charge by semester, I’ll only need to get $23000 + other fees ready by July

I have some sort of letter coming in today from WCU, anyone know what it could be? Is it a physical letter of alternate status?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some sort of letter coming in today from WCU, anyone know what it could be? Is it a physical letter of alternate status?

Yup. It should just be the same letter you received in your email coming in physically.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I'm a male incoming OMS-1 at WCUCOM. If any male students are looking for roommates please let me know. I already ran out of male wcucom students only at IVY row and was hoping to reach out here for whoever is looking for a roommate. If you haven't looked for housing yet and hoping to find another person to form a 4 bed/4 bath group or more Please reach out to me. Thank you very much!

Does anyone know if our tuition, insurance, and other fees are charged by semester or by year?

Im international and cannot take on federal student loans. I was thinking if they charge by semester, I’ll only need to get $23000 + other fees ready by July
Tuition is by semester, but I'm not sure about insurance and other fees.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Hopefully my neuroticism can help someone else out. So it seems as if EVERYONE made it off alternate aka the accepted pending seat last cycle as @Ellesandra319 mentioned around May 23rd. The reason why it seems everyone made it off alternate is that deferred started getting taken off. Went from deferred to alternate to acceptance! The only thing I am unsure of is how long the list from last year is to this year but this still is a very very good sign!
IMG_2012.png

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! Hopefully my neuroticism can help someone else out. So it seems as if EVERYONE made it off alternate aka the accepted pending seat last cycle as @Ellesandra319 mentioned around May 23rd. The reason why it seems everyone made it off alternate is that deferred started getting taken off. Went from deferred to alternate to acceptance! The only thing I am unsure of is how long the list from last year is to this year but this still is a very very good sign!View attachment 371162
yeah! we had people pulled off deferred literally days before classes started!

Hey everyone! Hopefully my neuroticism can help someone else out. So it seems as if EVERYONE made it off alternate aka the accepted pending seat last cycle as @Ellesandra319 mentioned around May 23rd. The reason why it seems everyone made it off alternate is that deferred started getting taken off. Went from deferred to alternate to acceptance! The only thing I am unsure of is how long the list from last year is to this year but this still is a very very good sign!View attachment 371162
I don’t know how many people were on the alternate list last year but last month (April 2023) there were about 75 people on it. Regardless, you should feel proud making it to the alternate list. That means they are willing to give you a spot for the class pending a seat opening up.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know how many people were on the alternate list last year but last month (April 2023) there were about 75 people on it. Regardless, you should feel proud making it to the alternate list. That means they are willing to give you a spot for the class pending a seat opening up.
Do you know how many people are on the deferred list?

Just feel like I’m so low on that list, will I even be able to get off of it

Gonna keep my hopes up that I’ll get off deferral purgatory… after they get through the alternate

• Care
ty friend! I think just thinking of myself as a number and thinking of how long the list is got to me
I soo understand! It ain't over till they send us that rejection email or until end of July :horns:

• Care
Is the class size for the class of 2027 200 Students?

How often do students get their top choice for 3rd year rotations? Is the gulf coast a competitive spot?
Vast majority get their first or second choice. There's nothing to compete for, it's a lottery site. Jackson and Pine Belt (Hattiesburg) filled before GC did this year. During first half of 2nd year, you can start asking counselors/3rd years about the different sites and application/lottery process, but I wouldn't worry about it now, because things are ever changing.

For current students, is there a lot of in-house material you have to learn from lectures or do you mostly use BnB, first aid etc to study for exams? Would make it a lot easier if we can prep for step 1 and wcu exams at the same time.

For current students, is there a lot of in-house material you have to learn from lectures or do you mostly use BnB, first aid etc to study for exams? Would make it a lot easier if we can prep for step 1 and wcu exams at the same time.
It kind of depends on what class and also what kind of grades you are wanting to get, which doesn't really matter since we're pass / fail... for biochem (1st semester) and physio you can do 80's-ish just using BnB. You might miss some lil niche questions, but you'll be fine. For anatomy you can lean pretty heavily into Gray's but its gonna be pretty in-house heavy. 2nd semester I&I is pretty in house heavy but aligns well with first aid, biochem 2nd semester is in house heavy, but physio is still very BnB heavy. Path is in house heavy.

in all the classes though they use some in house material it aligns pretty well with boards, and the golden rule of "studying for boards 1st year" is to just do well in your classes.

From what I've heard, second year aligns a lot better with board prep material as it is truly a systems based curriculum.

• Love

You need to learn the material. Grades don’t matter.

Hi everyone, I've been on the alternate list for a little bit (rank 70) and haven't noticed any movement or withdrawing my A posts. Will there be as much alternate movement as expected like last year when everyone came off? How about defer movement? It is almost June...

Hi everyone, I've been on the alternate list for a little bit (rank 70) and haven't noticed any movement or withdrawing my A posts. Will there be as much alternate movement as expected like last year when everyone came off? How about defer movement? It is almost June...
I don’t know why im not seeing these posts as well but I’m assuming it is because SDN only represents a small percentage of accepted students.

I don’t know why im not seeing these posts as well but I’m assuming it is because SDN only represents a small percentage of accepted students.
Facebook group has not moved in a while also, extremely nervous about movement and getting off with my rank seeing this and hearing all this info. Last cycle seemed to have much more movement even with the withdrawing posts on here.

Facebook group has not moved in a while also, extremely nervous about movement and getting off with my rank seeing this and hearing all this info. Last cycle seemed to have much more movement even with the withdrawing posts on here.
it's really hard to predict and there are so many variables! just try to hang in there and know there is still movement to come! also keep in mind us first years don't end until Tuesday so a bunch of admin will be tying up loose ends with our class!

it's really hard to predict and there are so many variables! just try to hang in there and know there is still movement to come! also keep in mind us first years don't end until Tuesday so a bunch of admin will be tying up loose ends with our class!
Do you think that most (if not all) will get off the alternate this year with your expertise on campus? I am unsure of how long the list is but let us say it is 90 ppl do you think 80-85 people may get off? Do you also think people who are deferred will get in (that would imply that all of alternate will get in?)

Follow up question: would you say alternates should hear May/June then Deferred in July?

Last edited:
Do you think that most (if not all) will get off the alternate this year with your expertise on campus? I am unsure of how long the list is but let us say it is 90 ppl do you think 80-85 people may get off? Do you also think people who are deferred will get in (that would imply that all of alternate will get in?)

Follow up question: would you say alternates should hear May/June then Deferred in July?
We don't get told much about the incoming class and what the lists look like. It truly is variable, because the amount of waitlist movement is dependent on how many seats open up from people forfeiting their deposits. Historically, there has been movement after May 15, when you can only hold one acceptance.

Hey guys I got the interview invite really late April and , unlike most schools, they didn't give me options for the interview date and time. Is that true for all of you, OR it's just mine is the last one they would interview for this cycle? And how did the interviews go for all of you? Are they just general questions? chill? stressful?

Hey guys I got the interview invite really late April and , unlike most schools, they didn't give me options for the interview date and time. Is that true for all of you, OR it's just mine is the last one they would interview for this cycle? And how did the interviews go for all of you? Are they just general questions? chill? stressful?
They didn’t give me an option either, just my date and time! Interview was chill, follow the interview feedback!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Officially Withdrew my acceptance today. I was on the alternate list with a position in the 30s. Don't lose hope this is the final stretch guys. Good luck and don't forget to submit update letters and LOIs!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users