2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
emailed today to withdraw from alt list.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Ya but shouldn’t we be worried about comlex scores? Like that’s holding me
Back

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Back
What are you seeing that scares you about COMLEX at WCUCOM? I felt like it was comparable to most schools. I was concerned with ARCOM COMLEX scores where I was waitlisted.

What are you seeing that scares you about COMLEX at WCUCOM? I felt like it was comparable to most schools. I was concerned with ARCOM COMLEX scores where I was waitlisted.

Attachments

• 8E974687-A24E-47FA-AD7F-8CF55F9D9E9E.png
    8E974687-A24E-47FA-AD7F-8CF55F9D9E9E.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 87
This is the match rates. I can’t find 2022.

Attachments

• BACDDDD3-2648-4766-98AB-6AF73D6C5C36.png
    BACDDDD3-2648-4766-98AB-6AF73D6C5C36.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 76
I’m not concerned. Honestly, to an extent, COMLEX is on the students, but WCUCOM only had one recent lower year. Quite solid 2021-2022.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Back

An institution’s COMLEX scores are a better representation of the quality of students in a given class. An individual’s board scores are 110% determined by the hard work and dedication put forth by said individual. As a graduate from Carey, I can assure you will receive the standard pre-clinical medical education and be given the information/material to succeed. Ultimately, what’s more important is that you actually learn the material that you will soon put forth in order to care for sick patients and save lives. Grades and board scores are trivial. Anyone that puts forth effort can make good grades and pass boards.

If you think a certain school or past board scores are a marker to ensure an individual passes boards, I’ll be the one to tell you you’re very sadly mistaken.

• Love
Are there any other females that want to look at housing options? I am still on the alt list but I really wanna get a head start on housing. If anyone has great recs I would appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any other females that want to look at housing options? I am still on the alt list but I really wanna get a head start on housing. If anyone has great recs I would appreciate it!
Need this level of confidence fr!

An institution’s COMLEX scores are a better representation of the quality of students in a given class. An individual’s board scores are 110% determined by the hard work and dedication put forth by said individual. As a graduate from Carey, I can assure you will receive the standard pre-clinical medical education and be given the information/material to succeed. Ultimately, what’s more important is that you actually learn the material that you will soon put forth in order to care for sick patients and save lives. Grades and board scores are trivial. Anyone that puts forth effort can make good grades and pass boards.

If you think a certain school or past board scores are a marker to ensure an individual passes boards, I’ll be the one to tell you you’re very sadly mistaken.
Thank you for the details! I do think they hold some weight because some schools have a stable percentage passing, whereas other schools are very up and down. Ofc it comes down to the person, that’s why I’m taking these scores w a grain of salt. However, it would be great to hear from some of the students (like you). I’m guessing you had a very good experience at this school! So that’s good to hear. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to visit the campus so I have to make this decision quick within the next few days

Thank you for the details! I do think they hold some weight because some schools have a stable percentage passing, whereas other schools are very up and down. Ofc it comes down to the person, that’s why I’m taking these scores w a grain of salt. However, it would be great to hear from some of the students (like you). I’m guessing you had a very good experience at this school! So that’s good to hear. Unfortunately, I don’t have time to visit the campus so I have to make this decision quick within the next few days
Yeah I think its important to note that 2020-2021 (the one really down year) was also the very first year of COVID, which obviously impacted people negatively in a variety of ways. As someone who just completed first year, I can say we received an extremely thorough and board relevant education this past year, especially with respect to Biochem, Physio, and OMT (which regardless of your future plans you have to take COMLEX so having board relevant OPP exams is huge). For example, almost every biochem and physio lecture has linked boards and beyond videos which a lot of students rely on instead of lecture material.

lastly i think in comparing schools you just have to decide what factors you value most. if you value graduating and matching competitively, go to the school that has a proven track record of matching well as opposed to one that has yet to match a class. if you value board pass rates, go to the school that has higher average board pass rates.

Though like someone said above, I can't stress more highly how individualized you're ability to pass board's is. I can assure you the COM curriculum is not going to hinder you, however plenty of students hinder themselves by overcommitting, focusing on less important aspects of their ERAS app, etc.

One last note: the school did partner with an a current adjunct faculty, who made his own COMLEX prep curriculum and provided that to this past years OMSII. I obviously haven't used it, but the vibes I get from rising 3rd years is generally really positive, and that faculty member is super sharp and well respected amongst my class. Conquering The Boards

(As a side note he also runs our ultrasound curriculum which as a first year I can say we received more US training than some first year residents, which was pretty cool!)

accepted this morning from the alt list (#12)- i accepted it for now BUT can any current students make themselves known!! I have a bunch of questions.

Reactions: 6 users
Im gonna post my QS here I apologize if they have been asked already ANYONE can plz chime in. I want to make a decision soon if I want to keep my seat of not so other get the chance

1. Are classes mandatory? How is lecture given (recorded)?
2. what is your schedule like?
3. Is the faculty nice (All med schools have some problems im asking about MAJOR red flags)
4. I am from a major city- how are the rural vibes?
5. Are you happy w the choice?

TY <3

Im gonna post my QS here I apologize if they have been asked already ANYONE can plz chime in. I want to make a decision soon if I want to keep my seat of not so other get the chance

1. Are classes mandatory? How is lecture given (recorded)?
2. what is your schedule like?
3. Is the faculty nice (All med schools have some problems im asking about MAJOR red flags)
4. I am from a major city- how are the rural vibes?
5. Are you happy w the choice?

TY <3

1. Labs (OPP, CPC (Doctor Skills) and Anatomy) are mandatory, but other than a handful of mandatory lectures for our public health class, lectures are not mandatory. About 80% are given live and all lectures are recorded with Echo360. Always subject to change though!

2. Weekly schedules are available on the COM website, but pretty much
-Monday: Lecture
-Tuesday: CPC and OPP Lab
-Wednesday: Lecture + Group A Anatomy Lab
-Thursday: Lecture + Anatomy B Lab
-Friday: Lecture + Group A Anatomy Lab

The Lab schedule is kind of weird first semester and then Anatomy ends mid second semester. Hopefully it'll be more consistent next year! The second semester schedule after anatomy ends is pretty much 100% lecture with the exception of CPC/OPP labs on tuesday.

3. Faculty is 99.9% amazing. There are some different personalities in 1-2 classes, but even they are great as long as you interact professionally. I would say all faculty are wonderful, but 5-7 go above and beyond the call of duty which has made my experience with faculty stellar.

4. Hattiesburg itself isn't rural. It's a moderately sized college town so there's plenty to do and at least 1 of pretty much everything (except trader joe's and dunkin lol). The weird think about hattiesburg is more that it's surrounded by very rural areas, so the next largest cities are NOLA and Jackson at about 1.5-2 hours away. It was an adjustment for me coming from a larger city, and you'll definitely want a car, but you adjust pretty quick.

5. Very happy! Obviously there are varied experiences, but the school to me definitely has big family vibes, and my experience has been that admin is very supportive and willing to work with student feedback!

What’s the closest housing areas to the school? I don’t want to bring a car so I’m wondering if thats possible

What’s the closest housing areas to the school? I don’t want to bring a car so I’m wondering if thats possible
If you're living on campus, you'll be fine without a car and can make it work with uber/doordash/grocery delivery/some money/effort. You might get bored and a little stir crazy but you can make it work fairly easily.

BUT if you're living off campus it's gonna be hard. There is Uber, but public transportation is really non existent/super unreliable and most the good apartments are at least 15 minutes driving to campus. It is definitely a significant additional stressor. Also, to be a little frank, no one is going to give you any mercy if you are late to an exam/lab/etc because your Uber was late, you couldn't fine a ride, etc. It just seems like a huge extra headache that you're not gonna wanna deal with if you can help it. And I know it's probably tempting to say you'll try it for a few weeks of class and then get a car if you find out you really need one, but especially in that first month or two of classes you are NOT gonna want to have to take an afternoon off to car hunt, arrange financing, etc. That said, there are some people that live off campus and make it work with carpool etc.! My advice would be: your definitely gonna need a car for 3rd and 4th year rotations so get a decent use car for $10K - 15K now if you can swing it (or use student loan money for down payment, etc.) and then you don't have to worry about for the rest of your medical school career. I think its amazing to be frugal and smart with money, but when you've no doubt spent a ton of money to get here, and are gonna shell out $200K+ over the next 4 years, I personally think an additional $10K is worth it. But obviously that isn't possible for everyone and where there's a will, there's a way! I would just very carefully think through all the possible scenarios of not having a car before deciding to try and live without one!

If you do decide to get a car, I would try to get here 2-4 weeks before classes start (I'd reccomend that to anyone regardless of their situation) and purchase it then! Your choices are going to be more limited, but if you're not wanting to drive from Canada I don't really know another workaround.

There are also quite a few of my classmates that drove down in caravan's from various parts of Canada and made that work too! I'm sure Ms. Wedgeworth/SAC could connect you with some of them if you need into on bringing a car from Canada!

All of your questions are mentioned in this thread already. I guarantee you’ll find your answers quicker by performing a search as compared to waiting for someone with a lot less time on their hands to answer you.

You’ve been accepted to medical school and will one day be a doctor. I have faith you can do it!

• Love
lots of housing reccs mentioned earlier in the thread (my top 3 are Breck, Parkwest, The Met) as well as the reccomendation to absolutely plan on bringing a car if at all humanly possible! i’d also reccomended joining the accepted students FB group where there will be roommate search, etc. options!

as a note for everyone, you can search by username in the search tab at the top and so if you’re looking for specific posts/info, you can just search my username and find a ton of my older posts with lots of info!

All of your questions are mentioned in this thread already. I guarantee you’ll find your answers quicker by performing a search as compared to waiting for someone with a lot less time on their hands to answer you.

You’ve been accepted to medical school and will one day be a doctor. I have faith you can do it!
That passive aggressiveness not needed no need to answer a question if u don’t have the time instead of writing this paragraph.

You’re in medical school and will be a doctor one day learn to deal with annoying questions. I have faith in you !

That passive aggressiveness not needed no need to answer a question if u don’t have the time instead of writing this paragraph.

You’re in medical school and will be a doctor one day learn to deal with annoying questions. I have faith in you !
He already graduated.

• Haha

He's a physician lol

Just got the acceptance email today!! Interviewed 05/12 and was #13 on the WL as of last Thursday!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Just got accepted off the alternate list this morning too! The list is moving fast as I was #18 as of last Thursday.

Just got accepted off the alternate list this morning too! The list is moving fast as I was #18 as of last Thursday.
Congratulations. How many people are there on Alternate list in Total

Just got accepted off the alternate list as well! Was in a similar range as of last week also so the list is definitely moving quick.

Congratulations. How many people are there on Alternate list in Total
I know as of last week there was about 80, and they have gotten through about the top 20 it looks like this week. I would venture a guess of about 60 left on the alt list.

@drthedude i look forward to reading this thread in hopes you’ll get off the alternate list! Rooting for everyone that’s waiting rn hahaha

• Love
Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I love you all, asking for an updated rank tomorrow 🤞🏽

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users