2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got an II, submitted secondary in early August. I’m declining but know I scoured last year’s thread for any hope as an applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just thought i'd drop our class of 2026 instagram handle @wcucom2026 if y'all want to see more about student life / fun stuff / student profiles!

Reactions: 4 users
This is the week (I say for the 50th time)
my time GIF

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I know that as a DO school and especially a rural DO school, WCUCOM likes to pump out PCP's. Does the faculty push students towards PCP from day 1 or are they pretty hands-off about that kind of stuff?
WCUCOM does not "like to pump out PCP's."

you are correct in your statement that as a DO school (though geographically speaking not considered rural), WCUCOM maintains the mission of most DO schools to, per the WCUCOM mission statement, "Emphasize training in primary care through a high-quality, professional education program."

what does that mean? it means that WCUCOM emphasizes training in primary care through a high-quality, professional education program.

it does not mean faculty pushes students towards PCP. i have never once gotten that impression from faculty, in fact i've been more than encouraged to explore my own specialty interests and if anything have been encouraged away from PCP given my own background.

i would add that a large portion of our clinical faculty are former EM physicians, so a lot of our practical training has a EM flavor to it, but it's not like pushing us into EM. as someone not interested in EM, i appreciate the EM faculty perspective because its not something I'm probably going to choose to have a ton of exposure to in the future.

i think as with most DO schools, you're simply not going to have the large, mutli-specialty faculty with dedicated lab feel that a lot of academic university med schools have. that just comes with the territory of DO schools. as someone with friends at those kinds of institutions, for the vast majority of students, that really isn't going to have an impact on their education. at any med school the main goal is 1) pass preclinical 2) excel on rotations 3) do away's in the specialty your interested at locations you're interested in and get LOR's from them. that's gonna be pretty much across the board.

if you look at our last 2-3 match lists, you'll find large percentages of students matching into emergency med, surgical specialties, and other non-PCP specialties.

Reactions: 3 users
I was gonna say I don’t think WCU is really rural, maybe more suburban?

Members don't see this ad :)
WCUCOM does not "like to pump out PCP's."

you are correct in your statement that as a DO school (though geographically speaking not considered rural), WCUCOM maintains the mission of most DO schools to, per the WCUCOM mission statement, "Emphasize training in primary care through a high-quality, professional education program."

what does that mean? it means that WCUCOM emphasizes training in primary care through a high-quality, professional education program.

it does not mean faculty pushes students towards PCP. i have never once gotten that impression from faculty, in fact i've been more than encouraged to explore my own specialty interests and if anything have been encouraged away from PCP given my own background.

i would add that a large portion of our clinical faculty are former EM physicians, so a lot of our practical training has a EM flavor to it, but it's not like pushing us into EM. as someone not interested in EM, i appreciate the EM faculty perspective because its not something I'm probably going to choose to have a ton of exposure to in the future.

i think as with most DO schools, you're simply not going to have the large, mutli-specialty faculty with dedicated lab feel that a lot of academic university med schools have. that just comes with the territory of DO schools. as someone with friends at those kinds of institutions, for the vast majority of students, that really isn't going to have an impact on their education. at any med school the main goal is 1) pass preclinical 2) excel on rotations 3) do away's in the specialty your interested at locations you're interested in and get LOR's from them. that's gonna be pretty much across the board.

if you look at our last 2-3 match lists, you'll find large percentages of students matching into emergency med, surgical specialties, and other non-PCP specialties.
Thank you for the knowledge! My pre-med EC's provided me with great experiences in mainly primary care and EM. I shouldn't have said "pump out PCPs" as that has a negative connotation. My undergrad has a medical school that also places an emphasis on primary care and working in the hospital, I always heard my friends who were students at the medical school that the faculty tended to be passive aggressive towards the students that weren't interested in primary care. I was just mainly worried that, from my view, I felt that because WCUCOM placed emphasis on primary care then they too would look down upon or not help students who want to pursue other specialties. Your comment definitely makes me feel better about the school and even more excited to attend (fingers crossed)!

P.S. Idk why I said rural, I thought I had read that somewhere

Reactions: 1 user
I was gonna say I don’t think WCU is really rural, maybe more suburban?
Thank you for the knowledge! My pre-med EC's provided me with great experiences in mainly primary care and EM. I shouldn't have said "pump out PCPs" as that has a negative connotation. My undergrad has a medical school that also places an emphasis on primary care and working in the hospital, I always heard my friends who were students at the medical school that the faculty tended to be passive aggressive towards the students that weren't interested in primary care. I was just mainly worried that, from my view, I felt that because WCUCOM placed emphasis on primary care then they too would look down upon or not help students who want to pursue other specialties. Your comment definitely makes me feel better about the school and even more excited to attend (fingers crossed)!

That totally makes sense! Dr Weir has some really great language and information around that topic if you want to reach out to him! I talked to him about the same thing when I interviewed and it really helped me!

Yeah I think rural is considered population density <500 per square mile and less than 2500 people... and Hattiesburg is like 860/sq mile and 47,000. The closest large hospital networks are in NOLA and Jackson, so Hattie definitely *serves* more rural populations, but I definitely wouldn't consider it rural myself.

Yeah i think if you're interested in EM whatsoever you'll def find a ton of support here. I think we match a lot of folks into EM recently simply because our clinical faculty really enjoy it and it rubs off on you! I was like hardcore no on EM coming in but seeing how much our faculty love it can definitely make you rethink things!

Was accepted yesterday! I was on the Alternate list. I will be withdrawing my acceptance tho because I was accepted to my number 1 choice yesterday also. Feel very blessed.

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Was accepted yesterday! I was on the Alternate list. I will be withdrawing my acceptance tho because I was accepted to my number 1 choice yesterday also. Feel very blessed.
Congratulations, you deserve it!!

• Care
Just got an interview invite today lol. Declined it though- hope it goes to someone who wishes to go here!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations! How long were you on the alternate list for?

• Care
Congratulations! How long were you on the alternate list for?
My interview was 3/1 and I was placed on the alternate list a week after my interview. I submitted a LOI/Update letter and updated grades to Dr. Weir like around a month after the decision.

for current students: do the exams have board style questions? would you say years 1 and 2 help make you feel prepared for step/level 1? also do the majority of students choose to take both usmle and comlex exams?

Placed on alternate list! 4/19 interview

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
For the people that emailed to find your position on the alternate list, did you email Ms. Deloach who sent the status email or Dr. Weir? I sent it to Ms. Deloach but not sure if that was right

For the people that emailed to find your position on the alternate list, did you email Ms. Deloach who sent the status email or Dr. Weir? I sent it to Ms. Deloach but not sure if that was right
On the letter that places you on the alternate list it says if you have any questions to contact Dr.Weir. That’s what I did and he told me my position. She might be able to tell you however I’m not sure.

On the letter that places you on the alternate list it says if you have any questions to contact Dr.Weir. That’s what I did and he told me my position. She might be able to tell you however I’m not sure.
Thanks! Sent an email to Dr. Weir instead!

Was just accepted at WCUCOM today! I was waitlisted here yesterday, and got the email this morning. This is having three other waitlists with no acceptance. I am so happy and relieved! I’m going to be a physician!!

Reactions: 5 users
Do they rank the deferred list as well?
Unfortunately they do not. I emailed Dr. Weir about this and he said they only rank alternative list. When were you placed on it if you don’t mind me asking? I was placed on it Feb 9th.

Unfortunately they do not. I emailed Dr. Weir about this and he said they only rank alternative list. When were you placed on it if you don’t mind me asking? I was placed on it Feb 9th.
I was placed on the deferred list around feb 23

Thank you😭 do you know when they’ll see movement for deferred list (like a time frame?)
So, starting May 15th, when the school offers someone an acceptance, that individual has about a day or a few days (less than a week I’m pretty sure) to accept the seat or decline it. I’m assuming this is when the waitlist is gonna start moving. Looking at previous years’ threads, the school interviewed up till July I think so we’ve got time for our acceptance to come in. Don’t lose hope!

PS if anyone knows any more please free to chime in, I know I could be wrong!

So, starting May 15th, when the school offers someone an acceptance, that individual has about a day or a few days (less than a week I’m pretty sure) to accept the seat or decline it. I’m assuming this is when the waitlist is gonna start moving. Looking at previous years’ threads, the school interviewed up till July I think so we’ve got time for our acceptance to come in. Don’t lose hope!

PS if anyone knows any more please free to chime in, I know I could be wrong!
So they’ll only look at the deferred list after they finish interviewing right?

So they’ll only look at the deferred list after they finish interviewing right?
Not necessarily. Looking at last years thread, people who deferred around Feb/March were accepted late May, early June but the school continued to interview people in June and July from what I saw.

Not necessarily. Looking at last years thread, people who deferred around Feb/March were accepted late May, early June but the school continued to interview people in June and July from what I saw.
did anyone from after april interview get in last cycle?

did anyone from after april interview get in last cycle?
I just combed through last year's thread and actually yes. One person got an II late april and were accepted middle of May and someone actually got an II late June and were accepted at the end of June. Now, this is only people who posted on SDN. There's probably a few or decent number of people who also had late interviews and acceptances but didn't post about it on here.

I just combed through last year's thread and actually yes. One person got an II late april and were accepted middle of May and someone actually got an II late June and were accepted at the end of June. Now, this is only people who posted on SDN. There's probably a few or decent number of people who also had late interviews and acceptances but didn't post about it on here.
Does this mean that candidates on differed list were also cleared and than this late interviews in May and June were conducted

I salute you. Combing through a whole cycle's thread and tracking each person's timeline is a lot of work. LOL

• Haha
I had talked to a second year at William Carey during the interview and they had said that they got a II during May and were accepted in July.