2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everybody getting interviews out here but me; call this school Pain State

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
Everybody getting interviews out here but me; call this school Pain State
1659989108939.png

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Hey! Reapplicant here. Tbh I didn't really have much of a difference in the type of activities and stats I had. But what I mainly did was reviewed my previous application and noted down where I could've improved. So I rewrote the entire thing and made my descriptions more story-based rather than just listing my responsibilities only. I also rewrote my PS, but made it so that the content was the same, but again better worded.
Thank you so much for sharing! This makes me feel a lot better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone a reapplicant? If so, how did you change your application from last year.

Currently debating retaking the MCAT. I have a 510, GPA 3.6, waitlisted last year. I had low clinical hours but now have over 800 and I added a volunteer experience.
I just got more clinical hours and that's about it.

Is this week the first week of interviews? I interview Monday next week. Y'all think one week is long enough to prep?
i think interviews started last week! any ideas on how to prep? i've practiced answers to general questions but idk how in depth i should know the school

i think interviews started last week! any ideas on how to prep? i've practiced answers to general questions but idk how in depth i should know the school
Look up WSU SOM's youtube channel! They have some panel talks about how you should approach their interviews! They have videos with Adcom faculty panels and student panels. They give a lot of hints and tips about things you might want to mention to show your interest in WSU!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone understand when we will start hearing back from them after interviews? I was confused because it says October 15th is when acceptances start to be released for reg decision, yet they told us we should hear back about rejection, hold, or acceptance within the month. Does that mean everyone interviewed from now until Sept 15th is going to be rejected or put on hold? Thanks in advance.

Does anyone understand when we will start hearing back from them after interviews? I was confused because it says October 15th is when acceptances start to be released for reg decision, yet they told us we should hear back about rejection, hold, or acceptance within the month. Does that mean everyone interviewed from now until Sept 15th is going to be rejected or put on hold? Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing if you don't hear back until October 15th that's a good thing!

Is there an info session or mixer held the day before interviews?
They do an info session before interviews start and then you get to mix with other interviewees at the end of the session. At least that’s how they did it last year

Edit: and this is all done on the same day

OOS II Received! Secondary Invite: 7/25/22 Secondary Submitted: 7/28/22

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily; they just said their admissions committee is going to start meeting soon, so students may start hearing back within 4-6 weeks, but then the representative caught herself since acceptance can’t be given till October 15.

Not necessarily; they just said their admissions committee is going to start meeting soon, so students may start hearing back within 4-6 weeks, but then the representative caught herself since acceptance can’t be given till October 15.
ur pfp made me so hungry LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have a better idea of how to approach Question #3, " What healthcare issues are faced by marginalized communities? Include the impact of at least one social determinant of health."?

I know what SDOHs are and the various healthcare related issues marginalized groups face, but is WSU looking for us to describe an instance where we witnessed or had an experience with marginalized communities facing healthcare problems due to a SDOH? Or are they looking for a more straightforward response saying/describing the healthcare issues and the SDOH that perpetuates them?

My last question and I would really like a little guidance of how others answered it. Obviously not a hard question if you answer is straightforwardly, but I don't want to give a boring answer.

Anyone have a better idea of how to approach Question #3, " What healthcare issues are faced by marginalized communities? Include the impact of at least one social determinant of health."?

I know what SDOHs are and the various healthcare related issues marginalized groups face, but is WSU looking for us to describe an instance where we witnessed or had an experience with marginalized communities facing healthcare problems due to a SDOH? Or are they looking for a more straightforward response saying/describing the healthcare issues and the SDOH that perpetuates them?

My last question and I would really like a little guidance of how others answered it. Obviously not a hard question if you answer is straightforwardly, but I don't want to give a boring answer.
I was pretty straightforward with my answer. Didn’t include any experience. I also made sure to include a loose “plan of action” in my response.

I included an experience from clinical volunteering as an example of a SDOH impacting a patient. Not sure if that's what they were looking for but just what I did

Does Wayne State require photo in the secondary? If so, how were you guys dressed in your headshot? I don’t really have any picture of myself lol

Does Wayne State require photo in the secondary? If so, how were you guys dressed in your headshot? I don’t really have any picture of myself lol

Yes they do! I just put a suit and tie on and had a family member take it against a neutral colored wall! Nothing fancy

For the "Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission?", can we use only one experience to describe this? or can we use multiple experiences?

The wording is throwing me off, cause I dont think one experience will be able to summarize this all.

So what did you all do?
I talked about two-three

For the "Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission?", can we use only one experience to describe this? or can we use multiple experiences?

The wording is throwing me off, cause I dont think one experience will be able to summarize this all.

So what did you all do?
I wrote about one clinical volunteering experience (advocacy, leadership, service, and in urban community). But it seems like the question allows for more than one example.

Is anyone a reapplicant? If so, how did you change your application from last year.

Currently debating retaking the MCAT. I have a 510, GPA 3.6, waitlisted last year. I had low clinical hours but now have over 800 and I added a volunteer experience.
I am a reapplicant! I did not re-take the MCAT (even tho my score is on the lower side) but i did increase my community involvement and completely changed the way i wrote my application!

Is medical disinformation the same as medical misinformation? Because I answered that secondary question but I think I interpreted it as misinformation...didn't realize they were different

Is medical disinformation the same as medical misinformation? Because I answered that secondary question but I think I interpreted it as misinformation...didn't realize they were different
I think the only difference is that disinformation is done on purpose. As long as you didn’t explicitly state that there was no intention or something similar, I’d say your essay still makes sense

II on 8/16, complete 8/1, reapplicant, OOS

Does anyone know how they are doing MD/PhD interviews since it's virtual? Is it the same as MD only?

Such a great interview experience!! Also, you def need to prep before and KNOW your application

Reactions: 8 users
Does anyone know how they are doing MD/PhD interviews since it's virtual? Is it the same as MD only?

I was wondering the same. II 8/17, complete 7/31. I don’t see MD/PhD anywhere, is this MD-only or MD/PhD?? I emailed them in any case

I was wondering the same. II 8/17, complete 7/31. I don’t see MD/PhD anywhere, is this MD-only or MD/PhD?? I emailed them in any case
Do you mind updating with what they say? Super confused!

Interviewed MD/PhD last year, applying MD-only this year. How the MD/PhD interview worked last year was that you did the MD-only interview on one day (faculty, student, MMI) and then you interviewed with members of the MD/PhD committee on a separate day (my MD interview was in October and my MD/PhD in August). Some of the MD/PhD applicants were then invited to a campus visit (Erring on the side of caution with this one because not all of the students who got emails regarding these visits were not scheduled for one in the end).

Something to keep in mind of well: your application (if its the same case as last year) will be in a separate pool from the MD-only applicants. You are not considered for MD acceptance until acceptances have been determined for MD/PhD. It could be up until March before your application gets released for MD-only consideration if you get rejected from MD/PhD, and at that point, you will most likely get on the waitlist that late in the cycle. I never ended up getting off the waitlist (slightly stung considering Wayne was my only interview), but thats not to say other MD/PhD rejected candidates won’t either.

Interviewed MD/PhD last year, applying MD-only this year. How the MD/PhD interview worked last year was that you did the MD-only interview on one day (faculty, student, MMI) and then you interviewed with members of the MD/PhD committee on a separate day (my MD interview was in October and my MD/PhD in August). Some of the MD/PhD applicants were then invited to a campus visit (Erring on the side of caution with this one because not all of the students who got emails regarding these visits were not scheduled for one in the end).

Something to keep in mind of well: your application (if its the same case as last year) will be in a separate pool from the MD-only applicants. You are not considered for MD acceptance until acceptances have been determined for MD/PhD. It could be up until March before your application gets released for MD-only consideration if you get rejected from MD/PhD, and at that point, you will most likely get on the waitlist that late in the cycle. I never ended up getting off the waitlist (slightly stung considering Wayne was my only interview), but thats not to say other MD/PhD rejected candidates won’t either.
This is super helpful!! Thanks! Did they schedule both interviews at the same time or separate? Looks like I only received the MD interview invite today

This is super helpful!! Thanks! Did they schedule both interviews at the same time or separate? Looks like I only received the MD interview invite today
The interviews were scheduled separately. Also realized I made an oopsie in my first post: my MD/PhD interview was in November 😂😅

Did everyone that interviewed get this ?
Probably. The tours seem like they’re gonna be every Wednesday at 1PM FYI for future interviewees

Also they’re only an hour which is kinda unfortunate for people who are from far away. I guess if you have the time and money, you should plan to make a mini vacation out of it

Does Wayne State offer II notification vie email or have to login to the portal?

Button down blue and white striped shirt, hair down, photo is from collar bones up. Smiling, white plain wall background.