2022-2023 Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received today!! Submitted secondary on 7/19. Interview invite on 7/22. Super quick!!

edit: OOS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II today as well, super fast turn around.
522, 3.97, reapplicant

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II received yesterday as an OOS applicant.
LM 71/ WARS 76

Edit: does anyone know how long after interviews they start giving A's? -oops nvm their website says oct 15th

Last edited:
II just now!! Complete 7/8, IS, regular decision. Re-applicant to Wayne. Was interviewed and WL'd last year.
LizzyM 73.6, WARS 81

Reactions: 4 users
II last night! OOS, LM 77, complete 7/19

For those who have gotten II - did your secondary portal under "application status" say "Your application is ready." or something else like "your application is under review"? wondering if they've even looked at my app yet haha thanks in advance

Reactions: 3 users
For those who have gotten II - did your secondary portal under "application status" say "Your application is ready." or something else like "your application is under review"? wondering if they've even looked at my app yet haha thanks in advance
mine says "Your application is ready."

Reactions: 2 users
I am struggling with "Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how". The mission statement seems general, and idk how to approach it. If any current applicants or Wayne med students could give advice, I would appreciate it.

I am struggling with "Which of your experiences or activities align with WSU SOM’s mission? Please discuss how". The mission statement seems general, and idk how to approach it. If any current applicants or Wayne med students could give advice, I would appreciate it.
I chose to just focus on one aspect of the mission. There’s a section in the mission about bettering one’s community so I related that to my job as an EMT, telling a specific story about the impact I made on one of my patient’s and their family.

Members don't see this ad :)
i passed the 2-week mark to submit my secondaries, am i screwed?

Second year student here. Let me know throughout the cycle if y'all have any questions.
Saw your post after re-reading the thread. Thank you for taking some time to be here! I posted these questions a little while ago. Would appreciate your input!

Also, if there are any current students - could you share a bit about your experience as a student at WSU SOM? What is the vibe of the cohort? Is school leadership supportive/responsive? Anything WSU SOM does really good? Anything you wish they did a bit better? Thank you!

how are u guys approaching the secondaries? for the first 3 questions, are you guys using anecdotes or just straight up answering them?

omg could I ask how you approached the secondary questions? I am really scared I am doing it wrong.
"We will educate a diverse student body in an urban setting and within a culture of inclusion, through high quality education, clinical excellence, pioneering research, local investment in our community and innovative technology, to prepare physician and biomedical scientific leaders to achieve health and wellness for our society."

They're looking for people that will be invested in urban health issues and the diverse Detroit community. So think about your experiences and which ones play into that mission narrative best and try to see if there's something here at WSU SOM that lets you continue that experiential work.

Saw your post after re-reading the thread. Thank you for taking some time to be here! I posted these questions a little while ago. Would appreciate your input!

Also, if there are any current students - could you share a bit about your experience as a student at WSU SOM? What is the vibe of the cohort? Is school leadership supportive/responsive? Anything WSU SOM does really good? Anything you wish they did a bit better? Thank you!
The cohort is generally supportive of each other and will help one another, even though there is still an Honor/S/U grading system and AOA system. Student leadership is responsive to student complaints and tries to push for changes from administration. It usually works most of the time, and if not, the school tries to be fair about when they can't do something.

M2 is done very well here and the amount of free time is crazy high. They give about a week to study for exams, which is a lot.
M1 is a slog, mostly due to high lecture volume, faculty-written exams, and long labs hour commitments each week.

• Care

M3 here, even though my class started during COVID when we couldn't really meet up like the other classes have, we've also fostered an incredibly supportive environment. In my opinion, the administration at Wayne says the right things when it comes to being supportive of their students, but they don't always follow it up with concrete actions.
WSU is known for its clinical education, and I have had a generally positive experience on the rotations that I have completed so far. Its size also means that it has opportunities in basically every field for those who are interested.

• Care
should you consider not getting an interview so far as a soft-R if you submitted secondary mid-July?

Absolutely not, it is still very early my friend
Hope that's the case, I think last year they offered around 300 IIs end of July/start of Aug. Around 20% of the total II given were given out the first few weeks of the cycle. Doesn't seem completely out of the question to think that they move on to later applications after that point.

any Canadians got II yet? I submitted 7/10 and still havent heard... wondering if this is bad news

The cohort is generally supportive of each other and will help one another, even though there is still an Honor/S/U grading system and AOA system. Student leadership is responsive to student complaints and tries to push for changes from administration. It usually works most of the time, and if not, the school tries to be fair about when they can't do something.

M2 is done very well here and the amount of free time is crazy high. They give about a week to study for exams, which is a lot.
M1 is a slog, mostly due to high lecture volume, faculty-written exams, and long labs hour commitments each week.

M3 here, even though my class started during COVID when we couldn't really meet up like the other classes have, we've also fostered an incredibly supportive environment. In my opinion, the administration at Wayne says the right things when it comes to being supportive of their students, but they don't always follow it up with concrete actions.
WSU is known for its clinical education, and I have had a generally positive experience on the rotations that I have completed so far. Its size also means that it has opportunities in basically every field for those who are interested.
Thank you both very much for your replies!

Also a Canadian, submitted 7/6 and haven't heard anything yet. Hang in there!

Second year student here. Let me know throughout the cycle if y'all have any questions.
Hi! Do you have any advice for the "What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons" question, particularly for the "do you think all physicians should be leaders" part?

Hi! Do you have any advice for the "What characteristics and qualities are necessary for successful leadership? Do you think all physicians should be leaders? Please discuss your reasons" question, particularly for the "do you think all physicians should be leaders" part?
Throughout my essay I just discussed how the leadership skills I highlighted applied to being a good physician. I talked about three qualities total.

No concrete advice...Wayne's secondary essays tend to be thought questions. They're likely trying to see how your responses to leadership, social determinants of health, and societal mistrust of physicians would fit into the framework of the school and Detroit population.

Hello,
I wish everyone good luck with their apps. This is my first time applying. I have a question regarding EDP. So apparently deadline for EDP for Wayne is AUG 1st. Now I submitted my app today for EDP and I asked people in AMCAS and they said EDP apps have their own queue and the app should be verified relatively soon.
I have already had all my references submitted as well and I have written the secondaries.
My only concern is that when I am going to receive the secondaries from Wayne given they say their deadline for secondaries for EDP is AUG 8th!? What if they don't send me the secondaries by then?
Thanks a lot for your response.

Last edited:
Hello,
I wish everyone good luck with their apps. This is my first time applying. I have a question regarding EDP. So apparently deadline for EDP for Wayne is AUG 1st. Now I submitted my app today for EDP and I asked people in AMCAS and they said EDP apps have their own queue and the app should be verified relatively soon.
I have already had all my references submitted as well and I have written the secondaries.
My only concern is that when I am going to receive the secondaries from Wayne give they say their deadline for secondaries for EDP is AUG 8th!? What if they don't send me the secondaries by then?
Thanks a lot for your response.
My best advice would be to stay on top of the movement your app. If you don't get a secondary or any correspondence like a day or two after you are verified then reach out (preferably by phone for quicker reply).

Best of luck!!

Since Wayne State doesn't have a specific Why Us essay, should i still try to connect my responses to Wayne State? For example, the question about which activities fit their mission, should I add something along the lines of "I will continue to pursue these interests at WSU SOM through XYZ"?

Since Wayne State doesn't have a specific Why Us essay, should i still try to connect my responses to Wayne State? For example, the question about which activities fit their mission, should I add something along the lines of "I will continue to pursue these interests at WSU SOM through XYZ"?
thats exactly what i did! I wrote like 1-2 sentences at the end of that prompt and got an II so it definitely won't hurt to do it!

Hey y'all, do you know if it's appropriate to send a thank you email to your interviewers after the interview?

Hey y'all, do you know if it's appropriate to send a thank you email to your interviewers after the interview?
I don't see why not. In my mind, it only shows that you're respectful and are truly interested in the school.

I submitted my secondary on 7/27, 3 weeks after receiving it. They sent an email to me letting me know that it was over 2 weeks and I hadn't submitted yet. Should I be worried? I have fairly strong ties to Wayne and I'd love to go, so I hope that my submitting after 3 weeks won't set me back.

I submitted my secondary on 7/27, 3 weeks after receiving it. They sent an email to me letting me know that it was over 2 weeks and I hadn't submitted yet. Should I be worried? I have fairly strong ties to Wayne and I'd love to go, so I hope that my submitting after 3 weeks won't set me back.
Submitted a whole two and half months late last cycle and still got an interview. Don’t sweat being a little late, they probably just want to make sure you didn’t forget about them. But also please don’t do what I did haha

Little late to the party but II received 07/24. Submitted 07/12
LM 76, WARS 85 and IS applicant

Is anyone a reapplicant? If so, how did you change your application from last year.

Currently debating retaking the MCAT. I have a 510, GPA 3.6, waitlisted last year. I had low clinical hours but now have over 800 and I added a volunteer experience.
Hey! Reapplicant here. Tbh I didn't really have much of a difference in the type of activities and stats I had. But what I mainly did was reviewed my previous application and noted down where I could've improved. So I rewrote the entire thing and made my descriptions more story-based rather than just listing my responsibilities only. I also rewrote my PS, but made it so that the content was the same, but again better worded.

Is this week the first week of interviews? I interview Monday next week. Y'all think one week is long enough to prep?