2022-2023 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when they send out scholarships?

edit: nvm they send them out in march-ish

Members don't see this ad.

Alternate list for me, guess I’ll have to wait. Congrats on the As everyone!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the A which is so nice after 2 years of trying hahah

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
OOS A received. I'm sitting on the bus and fighting tears.

I'm so, so happy for everyone else who got their As this morning. You'll all be astounding doctors. Congratulations.

• Care
A :’) cried in lab

think my PBS is contaminated by tears oops

• Care
Congrats to all! Do they send all decisions - including R and WL for interviews until this date?

Congrats to all! Do they send all decisions - including R and WL for interviews until this date?

They withhold some applicant decisions until later. Meaning they just haven’t made any decision on some folks despite their “Friday after interview” date passing. A, WL, and R. Terrified that’s what’s happening to me since I haven’t received news yet.

Reactions: 3 users
A

I’m so numb. I just keep staring at my phone.
The interview solidified this choice for me

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance came in this afternoon.

A time baby! I interviewed just last week and received an email around 4pm, so if you havent heard yet your app may be being held onto like others mentioned?

OOS A by email earlier!!! Have to say the interview day really sold me on this amazing school!

Reactions: 2 users
Filling out all the conditions of acceptance on the portal is just to *hold* a spot at UVA, not committing to acceptance, right? I know we have to do it within 3 weeks of getting the A.

This sentence in the portal makes it sound like I'm committing to attending UVA when I haven't even heard back from any other school: "I hereby accept the position offered to me in the entering class of 2023 at the University of Virginia School of Medicine..."

Filling out all the conditions of acceptance on the portal is just to *hold* a spot at UVA, not committing to acceptance, right? I know we have to do it within 3 weeks of getting the A.

This sentence in the portal makes it sound like I'm committing to attending UVA when I haven't even heard back from any other school: "I hereby accept the position offered to me in the entering class of 2023 at the University of Virginia School of Medicine..."

Correct it’s not binding

Does Virginia accept update letters?
On their website it says you can add additional materials to the file if you are put on the alternate list but I don't see anything about pre interview updates. I'm wondering if i should contact them and ask because I had 0 clinical when applying and now i have 450 hours and i want them to know lol

On their website it says you can add additional materials to the file if you are put on the alternate list but I don't see anything about pre interview updates. I'm wondering if i should contact them and ask because I had 0 clinical when applying and now i have 450 hours and i want them to know lol
Does Virginia accept update letters?
Hi fellas, I went looking and just decided to add my application update letter to the "additional documents" under "Document Upload" tab (also radio silence currently, no II yet). I did that for all the schools I applied to that take updates (clubcracker I would suggest you do the same for sure with those clinical hours ASAP).

I added my update letter as it was pretty important, if there is an option to add it for any schools you applied to I would do it.

I also got a confirmation email from UVA right after I submitted:

"Thank you for uploading an additional document to your application. This is now available for the Committee to review.

Best wishes,

The Admissions Team"

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi fellas, I went looking and just decided to add my application update letter to the "additional documents" under "Document Upload" tab (also radio silence currently, no II yet). I did that for all the schools I applied to that take updates (clubcracker I would suggest you do the same for sure with those clinical hours ASAP).

I added my update letter as it was pretty important, if there is an option to add it for any schools you applied to I would do it.

I also got a confirmation email from UVA right after I submitted:

"Thank you for uploading an additional document to your application. This is now available for the Committee to review.

Best wishes,

The Admissions Team"

Hope this helps!
Just remember the update needs to be meaningful.

Reactions: 1 user
Never thought I stood a chance here, so did not bother applying. Was bored yesterday and submitted my application b/c why not lol

• Care
IS II, complete 7/21. Excited for this one!!

• Love
Hello folks. Recently got an interview here. So do they let you know if you get in the Friday you get interviewed? And based on threads I've read, they have a high Post II Acceptance rate right?

Hello folks. Recently got an interview here. So do they let you know if you get in the Friday you get interviewed? And based on threads I've read, they have a high Post II Acceptance rate right?
yup for OOS is around 80%

So essentially the II is basically making sure the applicant isn't weird or anything right?

I don’t want to give a definitive answer because a few folks got WL during the first decision round. I also don’t know if this number includes folks who get off the WL later or an A post II.

But I do think this means you shouldn’t worry about the interview! Just relax and know they are VERY interested in accepting you.

I don’t want to give a definitive answer because a few folks got WL during the first decision round. I also don’t know if this number includes folks who get off the WL later or an A post II.

But I do think this means you shouldn’t worry about the interview! Just relax and know they are VERY interested in accepting you.
Man this is really great to hear. I will still interview prep but now that I know they accept most people Post II I will be able to relax.

Man this is really great to hear. I will still interview prep but now that I know they accept most people Post II I will be able to relax.
According to their website the post II A rate is closer to 45%

I was told by my pre-interview host that post interview acceptance is higher for in state, which also doesn’t line up

~*~*~*~ Updated Post II Acceptance Rates 2021 ~*~*~*~ I think this is what people are referring to. According to the spreadsheet UVA accepted 116 out of 133 IS interviewees for the 2020 cycle.
Hmm I bet SDN has a sampling bias with this that boosts the %. But since we all use SDN maybe it already controls for that bias?
Current student here and just want to clear some things up. The spreadsheet you referenced used retrospective data reported directly to USNWR by the schools that year so the data likely was accurate for that cycle. However, I would be hesitant to extrapolate that data to other years given that a lot of schools went through unusual cycles due to the pandemic. If you look at that thread someone actually brought up UVA and, albeit anecdotal, another person claimed UVA was calling people on the waitlist. Another consideration is the fact that in that data a student who was offered an acceptance and declined as well as a student who was waitlisted and accepted months later are both included as "acceptances."

Whether true in practice or not, the SOM indicates that approximately 650 applicants are invited to interview and 300 offers are extended for a class of 159. This means the post-interview acceptance rate would be at least 46%. If we try and apply this logic to the Class of 2026 statistics though we know that the post-interview acceptance rate (at least for in-state students) had to have been at least 53% (and likely higher) since there are 75 in-state students currently in the class and only 141 in-state students were offered an interview.

In reality, none of this matters at an individual level. It will never hurt you to do your best. I can promise you that your UVA interview will be one of the most relaxed interviews you will have. What goes on behind the curtain remains a mystery to us all.

Reactions: 8 users