2022-2023 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called them and they’re like oops we got the first payment. Does this put my application behind

I doubt it, probably some glitch in their system

Members don't see this ad.

What’s the interview format?? Looks like they’re using kira talent, which can either be a live OR prerecorded interview (like LECOM does). Really hoping it’s a live interview/with actual people, this is my top choice 🥹

Reactions: 1 user
What’s the interview format?? Looks like they’re using kira talent, which can either be a live OR prerecorded interview (like LECOM does). Really hoping it’s a live interview/with actual people, this is my top choice 🥹
I hope not. I just did LECOM's and I hated it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope not. I just did LECOM's and I hated it.
I also hope not. I was reading last year’s thread and it was previously a 3:1 faculty interview over zoom, looks like this is the first year they’re using this software.. I also have to do LECOM’s interview and it sounds really impersonal

I really hope we’re talking to a real person here lol.i hated lecoms format! Are they aren’t current students I can PM some questions! I have my II coming up :)

Interviews are live with 2 faculty and 1 second year and it’s open file

Anyone have any suspicions of when more interview invites will be sent out :)

Reactions: 1 users
Every night I go to sleep thinking tomorrow is the day. It’s been getting me through this vicious application cycle
No kidding. All these schools talk about a lack of primary care physicians in underserved areas and then turn around and make it an extremely painful process to become a physician at all.

No other profession has so many hoops to go through. My friends in engineering and computer science graduated and are making big bucks while my life is about refreshing emails every hour. Medical school admission has become like winning a lottery or something. The system needs major reform.

Reactions: 14 users
No kidding. All these schools talk about a lack of primary care physicians in underserved areas and then turn around and make it an extremely painful process to become a physician at all.

No other profession has so many hoops to go through. My friends in engineering and computer science graduated and are making big bucks while my life is about refreshing emails every hour. Medical school admission has become like winning a lottery or something. The system needs major reform.

Major facts, this process has been nothing but soul draining.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Lol just wait till you get into med school. It’s 100x worse. Run now while you still can

Reactions: 1 users
Right? Biddeford looks kinda aesthetic
As someone who went to UNE many years ago at this point but still vacations in that area of Maine at least once a year, Biddeford is pretty great and the best parts of it don't really change. Studying on the beach while the weather is good, heading out to Portland, some of the amazing places to eat back in Kennebunkport, I could go on and on. I also love the winter and lived in a vacation home right on the water for most of my time there, so it was just fantastic overall.

I am helping someone figure out info for a UNE app. Anyone know how popular/desirable some of the clinical campuses are when students are ranking campuses?
Manchester CT,
Pittsfield MA,
Providence RI,
Nashua NH?
The more desirable sites are quite challenging to get into. RI and MA tend to be up there. Manchester has always been mid. Can't recall Nashua, if I recall correctly it was a smaller site and less competitive but also because it was smaller it was easier to get bumped out of by people ranking it higher. From day 1, you must be prepared to end up North of the Wall in Bangor and everything else is just a gift if you get it. Bangor is, for the record, an amazing clinical site and probably the best training overall, but due to its location is usually ranked last.

You got me hella excited to do my LECOM one next month lmfao
Can't be worse than when I interviewed at Bradenton years ago. Group interview of 6 interviewees with I think it was 3 faculty all in one person using an open question format where anyone could answer the questions being asked. You knew immediately who was getting admitted and who wasn't just based on the contrast between each interviewee.

Yes it’s Kira but live
Thank god, so we’re not being timed 🥰 but how did you know? Bc dmu is also using kira and for them it’s more like Lecom where you’re timed and you submit a recorded response. I haven’t heard anything from UNECOM about how kira is gonna work either

Thank god, so we’re not being timed 🥰 but how did you know? Bc dmu is also using kira and for them it’s more like Lecom where you’re timed and you submit a recorded response. I haven’t heard anything from UNECOM about how kira is gonna work either
Yes it’s Kira but live
Wow just got an email from UNECOM!! Thank you so much

I’m a second year helping with student interviews

Those that have gotten interviews; when did you submit? I’m getting antsy

Do they tell us who our interviewers are beforehand?

My II states “You will receive additional information regarding your interview with UNE COM upon confirmation with the Office of Graduate Admissions.” So maybe they’ll tell? But someone who interviewed already may know a better answer

My II states “You will receive additional information regarding your interview with UNE COM upon confirmation with the Office of Graduate Admissions.” So maybe they’ll tell? But someone who interviewed already may know a better answer
The additional info was just stuff for Kira Talent set-up

Current first year with a lot of free time now because it’s post-block week so feel free to ask me questions since interviews are starting up!

Current first year with a lot of free time now because it’s post-block week so feel free to ask me questions since interviews are starting up!
I'm someone who's interested in surgical specialties in the future.

i’m wondering how the program supports and trains students who are interested or focussed more so in procedural specialties including surgery, anesthesia, or critical care. Where do students do clinical rotations, especially for surgery?

Also, how was your interview experience?

i’m wondering how the program supports and trains students who are interested or focussed more so in procedural specialties including surgery, anesthesia, or critical care. Where do students do clinical rotations, especially for surgery?

There’re student run organizations on campus for you to establish connections. These clubs host sim sessions from time to time. You can always try to set up shadowing during medical school. Unfortunately surgery is always gonna be an uphill battle for DO, especially subspecialty surgery. Clinical rotation experience differ based on site, as unecom has over 10 clinical sites that they’d possibly assign you to for 3rd year.

Hey! Can you comment on how admin is/how they treat students? There’s a thread on r/premed about VCOM and toxic experiences that students have had at that program/others. Is there anything you’d characterize as toxic about UNECOM?

Also, what is the exam schedule like? Can you comment on the mentorship program offered to first year students? They mentioned this during my info session, I believe each MS1 gets an upperclassman mentor?

Also also, can you speak on the remediation process?

Last edited by a moderator:

I’m only a few months into first year so can’t really speak to the rotations questions. But they have already done a suturing session for us first years and they are giving us opportunities to resume-boost for competitive specialties. We have plenty of people go into surgery and other competitive specialties!

Interview experience was good for me. I felt like I was kind of awkward and didn’t let my personality shine very well because they didn’t talk about my application at all, just life stuff and casual chit-chat. Most students I know loved their interviews though and said it was their favorite of their cycle!

Hey! Can you comment on how admin is/how they treat students? There’s a thread on r/premed about VCOM and toxic experiences that students have had at that program/others. Is there anything you’d characterize as toxic about UNECOM?

Also, what is the exam schedule like? Can you comment on the mentorship program offered to first year students? They mentioned this during my info session, I believe each MS1 gets an upperclassman mentor?

Also also, can you speak on the remediation process?
Admin can be a little over-the-top sometimes (inflexible, etc) but I’m sure it’s not any worse than any other medical school. They have high expectations of us, as they should. There’s a lot to juggle and stay on top of so some students have had admin issues for missing deadlines or whatever but if you stay in line and do everything you’re supposed to, you will have no issues.

UNECOM is kind of assessment heavy but I think it’s good because it keeps you on top of the material. We have pre-week learning objective quizzes every Monday, and a low-stakes oral quiz in donor lab also on mondays. Every 2-3 fridays we have progress tests that are 50 MC questions and then every 7-9 weeks we have block weeks where we have 8 different assessments of varying weight/stakes. The end of block week has 2 100-MC question exams that you need to pass to move onto the next block. Remediation for these is (in my opinion) very fair and most students pass everything and move on with no issues. There are plenty of chances before it would get to a point of not being able to pass the courses and move onto spring semester/second year. This is extremely rare and almost always due to outside extenuating circumstances the student has and UNECOM is very understanding and supportive of those students from what I’ve heard.

The first years do get a second year “COMpanion” to pair up with but I wouldn’t call it a mentorship. They’re just there to support you and you can ask them questions but there is nothing formal about it. You just get each other’s contact info and the school kinda says “have at it.”

Edited to add that overall I do love UNECOM and my classmates and I’m so glad I am going here! My experience has been very good overall. Every school is gonna have things to complain about but imo UNECOM is pretty great

Reactions: 3 users
How long after you confirmed did you receive the Kira set-up email? I filled out the form to confirm but didn't get a confirmation or follow-up email
About a week after filling out the confirmation form. Email Mr. Tripp and he should be able to help

has anyone completed the interview so far and have insight on what it was like?

also, do we know the names of our interviewers beforehand?