2022-2023 University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNECOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got the payment email!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
do we know the percentage of applicants who receive the secondary payment who also receive II?

Received supplemental payment invite, OOS, submitted primary 7/21 and received confirmation email 7/25. So exactly 4 weeks from my initial submission.

Received secondary payment today. Primary submitted 07/25

I submitted 07/18 but no secondary payment email. Should I email them? They did say in an email when I submitted my primary that they might not be able to answer due to the high volume of applications :((

When are we expecting first round IIs to go out based on last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me to half the schools I’ve applied to
A month is nothing in med school admissions. Some schools I applied to last year went 6-7 months without a single email to me. Even UNECOM, where I go now, I heard absolutely nothing from September to January

Reactions: 1 users
A month is nothing in med school admissions. Some schools I applied to last year went 6-7 months without a single email to me. Even UNECOM, where I go now, I heard absolutely nothing from September to January

I don’t like that lmao

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't gotten an email to submit payment yet :/

I am helping someone figure out info for a UNE app. Anyone know how popular/desirable some of the clinical campuses are when students are ranking campuses?
Manchester CT,
Pittsfield MA,
Providence RI,
Nashua NH?

I am helping someone figure out info for a UNE app. Anyone know how popular/desirable some of the clinical campuses are when students are ranking campuses?
Manchester CT,
Pittsfield MA,
Providence RI,
Nashua NH?
MA and RI are very popular, the other two I believe are more middle of the road. But honestly there’s nothing you can do but rank your choices and hope for the best and be prepared to go anywhere. There’s no consideration for family, housing, etc. and it’s random. And in the end it doesn’t matter where you go. I’d worry about getting in and getting through the first two years.

finally got the payment email :)) so they said I'm missing a bachelor's degree, but what happened is the transcript I uploaded to AACOMAS just didn't have it bc I was going to apply last year before I graduated and the transcript just transferred over to this cycle.

If I updated my transcript on AACOMAS, does every school get an updated transcript?

finally got the payment email :)) so they said I'm missing a bachelor's degree, but what happened is the transcript I uploaded to AACOMAS just didn't have it bc I was going to apply last year before I graduated and the transcript just transferred over to this cycle.

If I updated my transcript on AACOMAS, does every school get an updated transcript?
They should receive it but just to be safe I would email your schools or post an update onto their portal to let them know of the updated transcript.

I submitted my App on August 9, only got an application received email. Should I be expecting an "application complete" email?

I submitted my App on August 9, only got an application received email. Should I be expecting an "application complete" email?

They’ll send you another email asking you to pay the secondary. By that point they’ve finished reviewing your app and once you pay the fee I believe it’s complete at that point

They’ll send you another email asking you to pay the secondary. By that point they’ve finished reviewing your app and once you pay the fee I believe it’s complete at that point
so even though I didn't pay the fee my application is still technically complete for determination of an interview ?

does everyone get the payment email or is it more of another selection step towards interview?

does everyone get the payment email or is it more of another selection step towards interview?

I was under the assumption that everyone who submitted a primary received a payment email but I could be wrong

Complete email received today! So I’m assuming even tho my bachelors degree isn’t posted on my transcript, bc I’m complete they can still consider me for an interview?

Complete email received today! So I’m assuming even tho my bachelors degree isn’t posted on my transcript, bc I’m complete they can still consider me for an interview?
Yup they’ll just require you to have one by the time you matriculate

wait actually I just found this on the website "Highly qualified applicants will be invited to submit the UNE supplemental application fee." so I feel like its their way of screening maybe
Dangg I didn’t know that. Does anyone know what their screening criteria is? How selective is their screening, like if we meet the minimum does everyone get a secondary? I know WCUCOMs is very selective

wait actually I just found this on the website "Highly qualified applicants will be invited to submit the UNE supplemental application fee." so I feel like its their way of screening maybe
I think that just means that you have to meet their minimum requirements. 2.8 cumulative and science and 490 MCAT.

Current OMS-II here!! Happy to answer any questions you guys may have :)

Finally got payment email, submitted primary on July 22 :D

Reactions: 1 users
My first R. Pre-secondary fee. Though this one was on me. I thought the deadline for courses would be prior to matriculation instead, it's 1/1/2023. Since I am about to start my senior year of undergrad, I am still taking classes and wouldn't meet that deadline.

My first R. Pre-secondary fee. Though this one was on me. I thought the deadline for courses would be prior to matriculation instead, it's 1/1/2023. Since I am about to start my senior year of undergrad, I am still taking classes and wouldn't meet that deadline.
That is so odd. I got my secondary but I am also a senior in ungrad still taking courses. Maybe email them and ask about it?

That is so odd. I got my secondary but I am also a senior in ungrad still taking courses. Maybe email them and ask about it?
did you finish all your prerequisites? I think that's what the poster is alluding to.

I haven't taken any physics or biochem yet (but it is in my schedule for this fall) and so their email said:
Thank you for your application to the University Of New England College Of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM). A preliminary review of your application by the Office of Graduate Admissions indicates you do not meet the minimum requirements for the Osteopathic Medicine program.

Your application does not meet the UNE COM minimum requirements based on:
  • Deficient in the following UNE COM prerequisite coursework requirements:
  • Physics w/ Lab x 5.34 semester credits, Biochemistry lecture x 2.67 semester credits (coursework planned after UNE COM prerequisite deadline of January 1, 2023)

I haven't taken any physics or biochem yet (but it is in my schedule for this fall) and so their email said:
Thank you for your application to the University Of New England College Of Osteopathic Medicine (UNE COM). A preliminary review of your application by the Office of Graduate Admissions indicates you do not meet the minimum requirements for the Osteopathic Medicine program.

Your application does not meet the UNE COM minimum requirements based on:
  • Deficient in the following UNE COM prerequisite coursework requirements:
  • Physics w/ Lab x 5.34 semester credits, Biochemistry lecture x 2.67 semester credits (coursework planned after UNE COM prerequisite deadline of January 1, 2023)
oh perhaps its because i said I'd get it done in my first semester sp it would be before that deadline. i'm sorry guys, thats so dumb they want it done so far in advance before matriculation

What you like most and least about UNECOM? What you wish you knew coming into UNECOM?
Hey! I've gotta say what I love most about UNECOM is the community. Our school, more specifically our students, really care about you and support you in ways I have not honestly seen at many other schools. Yeah med school is tough, but everyone has each others' backs. I know our class specifically, your class will too, has a huge class drive where all of us contribute to study guides etc to take some of the load off of each individual, and a bunch of people make BEAUTIFUL class summaries, which I know I appreciate tremendously.

I guess something that I wouldn't say I "least like", but struggled with especially last year was how many assessments we have. Every week, you have at least 2, sometimes up to 6 (block weeks especially) assessments and it's just a lot of stress and work. It does get you ready for second year curriculum/boards prep, but it is a lot of work--but that is also to be expected in medical school.

Something I wish I had done before coming to UNECOM and starting medical school in general is get a better hold on my work/life balance, I'm sure I wouldn't have struggled as much with burn out last year if I did that...no matter where you end up going to school, make sure you try to make time for things you love to do, that way you can carry those habits/hobbies with you into medical school!

Hope this helps!
Megan

Reactions: 3 users
Can you comment on the area as a place to live? On a map the town is tiny but where do you go for a dinner out/ groceries ?
Hey, yes of course!
I personally live in downtown Saco, which is about 10 minutes from campus. I really love living here, so much so that I stayed in the same place as I did first year. There are tons of places to eat around here and in Biddeford closer to school, and Portland is really only about 20 minutes away if you decide to treat yourself to some city fun. I am personally a huge fan of brunch and ice cream, and there are loads of local options to choose from. There are also a few bars, of which UNECOM students frequently go post exams, so that is always a fun thing to look forward to doing with your class.
I also live literally less than a mile from 2 grocery stores, Hannaford and Shaw's (good quick shopping trips). There is also a Market Basket (more fun grocery store) and a Target/TJmaxx like 10 minutes away, so it's not too bad. And of course Portland has a Trader Joe's, which is a must Sunday trip when you need a break from studying.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :)
Megan

Reactions: 7 users