2022-2023 Texas Tech Lubbock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for accepted applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for accepted applicants?
One will be made by the current M1 class president and everyone will be sent a link to it. It typically happens in January of each year.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
II just now! will likely be turning it down since I don’t see myself living in the panhandle.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! will likely be turning it down since I don’t see myself living in the panhandle.
Good for you! Not taking an interview spot when knowing you dont want to go there is always good Karma. It will go to someone who needs it.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
also the only interview date was December 2nd! I’m assuming they’re done sending IIs if that’s the case

Received an II at 7:21 CST! The only available date is on Friday, 12/2/22.

Does anyone have advice for answering an ethical question? I interviewed here once in 2019 so I’m grateful to have another chance. I remember it being required from one of my interviewers at the time

Received an II at 7:21 CST! The only available date is on Friday, 12/2/22.

Does anyone have advice for answering an ethical question? I interviewed here once in 2019 so I’m grateful to have another chance. I remember it being required from one of my interviewers at the time
Yeah the ethical questions are still required. How I prepared for them was going through the 5 major moral principles in healthcare and truly understanding each one. Then watched a couple of videos on YT regarding the principles and went through casper scenarios. For the most part, I tailored my responses to include those principles whenever possible. Hope that helped and GOODLUCK!!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah the ethical questions are still required. How I prepared for them was going through the 5 major moral principles in healthcare and truly understanding each one. Then watched a couple of videos on YT regarding the principles and went through casper scenarios. For the most part, I tailored my responses to include those principles whenever possible. Hope that helped and GOODLUCK!!!
Thanks!! Love the advice, will definitely review that! And wow, I'm surprised that we won't know our interviewers ahead of time -- Not even the day before, or on the morning of interview day? I remember receiving the names of both my interviewers on the morning of my previous in-person interview day.

Thanks!! Love the advice, will definitely review that! And wow, I'm surprised that we won't know our interviewers ahead of time -- Not even the day before, or on the morning of interview day? I remember receiving the names of both my interviewers on the morning of my previous in-person interview day.
They tell you the times of your interviews but not who the interviews are with. When I interviewed here 2 years ago they told me names but not for this cycle.

• Wow
II just received at around 6 PM. IS applicant bottom 10% of their mcat.

only date offered is decc 2nd which is in 2 days. Was hoping they would have more dates available. there is no way they filled all their spots by early December.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
II just received at around 6 PM. IS applicant bottom 10% of their mcat.

only date offered is decc 2nd which is in 2 days. Was hoping they would have more dates available. there is no way they filled all their spots by early December.
It just means they want to fill up their early interview dates before opening farther away ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
It just means they want to fill up their early interview dates before opening farther away ones.
do you know if this school in particular has more dates deep in December. I sent them an email letting them know about my work schedule and how its too short notice in a polite grateful way but if it comes down to it I will have to to skip work or call out

do you know if this school in particular has more dates deep in December. I sent them an email letting them know about my work schedule and how its too short notice in a polite grateful way but if it comes down to it I will have to to skip work or call out
I don't know, sorry. They usually are done inviting the first couple weeks of December though.

II this morning. Only date opened is Dec 9th.

Anyone know if they are receptive to rescheduling interviews? I have an in-person interview that same day and there’s no way for me to make it.

• Love

Anyone know if they are receptive to rescheduling interviews? I have an in-person interview that same day and there’s no way for me to make it.
Most schools will allow you to reschedule once, so check your calendar before asking them for a new date.

You probably already did, but try calling as well. Schools are usually really cool about offering an alternative date when your scheduled date causes a scheduling conflict.

Last edited:

Did you tell your mom yet about your other admission?

Did you tell your mom yet about your other admission?
I did! She’s relieved I got into one school but now has higher expectations of getting into a more “prestigious” school. Oh well, can’t please them all 🤷‍♀️

(This is my third time applying so I am extremely grateful to have been given many opportunities this time and even more grateful to have been accepted 🥳)

Reactions: 2 users
I email admissions today about rescheduling and they said Dec 9 is the only interview date they have so far and to keep checking the portal in case new dates are added. If anyone is waiting on interview invites, it seems like they are waiting for interview dates so fill up first before opening more dates.

I did! She’s relieved I got into one school but now has higher expectations of getting into a more “prestigious” school. Oh well, can’t please them all 🤷‍♀️

(This is my third time applying so I am extremely grateful to have been given many opportunities this time and even more grateful to have been accepted 🥳)
Something like 60+% get accepted to a single medical school according to AMCAS stats. people getting that second or third admission are a minority.

Good luck everyone! I recently interviewed here and wanted to say that I met some of the nicest people here. The first and second-year medical students you get to meet before and in between interviews were super chill, and what stood out to me was how happy most of them seemed when chatting with their peers. Medical school anywhere has the reputation of being rigorous and stressful, but you could tell by looking at those students that they are able to learn in the kind of environment where things are not made to be stressful. Each interaction around the interview gave me the impression that they really are serious about helping you succeed in their environment as a medical student and as a person. These things being so important to me, I left the interview with a very favorable impression of this school.

Reactions: 10 users
when are the next preview days? i interviewed recently but haven't gotten an email with information yet and trying to plan ahead

when are the next preview days? i interviewed recently but haven't gotten an email with information yet and trying to plan ahead
There's one next Saturday the 10th. And the next one is on January 7th. I've been told they send details the day before the preview day. But usually applicants have been receiving invites in a random order.

As part of the first week of school, you will be grouped up and have to make a video on an ethical dilemma that medical students may face. If you have a few minutes and want to have a quick laugh/preview what is in store for you at TTUHSC, here's the YouTube playlist of the current first-year class.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m curious how others would rank TT vs UTMB.

I am trying to figure out basis for interviewing at tech with a sealy admission. I guess you have to play each scenario differently once the interview is completed in terms of ranking which would be a completely different exercise if you are admitted to one but not the other by match time vs if you are admitted to both.

As someone interested in enrolling in an MBA program, TT ranks higher than UTMB for me because MB does not offer a 4-year dual degree program for the two! I was having a lot of trouble raking the two until I found that detail in my notes

I am trying to figure out basis for interviewing at tech with a sealy admission. I guess you have to play each scenario differently once the interview is completed in terms of ranking which would be a completely different exercise if you are admitted to one but not the other by match time vs if you are admitted to both.
I’m interested in rural family med, and I applied to the 3 year accelerated track. I personally ranked them both over McGovern as well, but I’m still deciding. This was how I personally ranked them.

Research: UTMB
Hospitals: UTMB
Traffic: TT
Crime: UTMB
Weather: TT
Curriculum structure: TT
Pass / Fail: UTMB
Spanish: UTMB
COL: TT
Would you like to live there? Both
Moving for clinical rotations: UTMB
Airport location: TT
Many things to do: UTMB
Dismissal policy: UTMB
Tutoring: UTMB
Tuition: TT

Do parents go along on campus tours here, or students only?
Students only -- they mentioned being able to accommodate guests if need be but preferred just the applicant

II just now.

IS, LM 65, complete 5/24

Only date available was 12/9

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
II a few mins ago, only date was 12/9 (same as Happy Bulbis Cordis). Complete 8/23

Off topic, but would a bike be good enough for transportation instead of a car in lubbock? I don't think I can afford car payments during med school, and my family cant afford to support me financially at all, so I'm trying to see what my options are. Thank you.

Off topic, but would a bike be good enough for transportation instead of a car in lubbock? I don't think I can afford car payments during med school, and my family cant afford to support me financially at all, so I'm trying to see what my options are. Thank you.
No. Car pretty much necessary.

Edit: It would be very difficult in Lubbock with a bike alone. Maybe look into a old/cheap car if you do go here. Would make life much easier in this city. Message me for more info.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Car pretty much necessary.

Edit: It would be very difficult in Lubbock with a bike alone. Maybe look into a old/cheap car if you do go here. Would make life much easier in this city. Message me for more info.
Same position and I’m banking on used car prices crashing down as Carvana liquidates it property. I plan on buying a used car sometime next June

When I was an undergrad there, an exchange student was killed while riding his bike to school. I'm an avid cyclist myself, but I do not want you to die before you get your medical degree. Do what it takes to get a vehicle.

As others have said, a car is pretty much a hard requirement. You MIGHT be able to get away with it for the first two years, but I'd strongly recommend against even trying. Lubbock has very few roads with bike lanes. It also has a terrible stormwater drainage system, so the edge of most roads is always a puddle when it rains. If you were riding a bike, you'd be hitting puddles and risk running into potholes that were hidden by those puddles. You also are limited to living extremely close to campus, which significantly increases your cost of living. Lubbock also has terrible drivers. It just isn't worth risking your life for a bike. If this is the school you end up going to, I would do everything you can to buy a car, even if it is a beater from Craigslist.

How about a vespa or motorcycle as a cheaper option?

As others have said, a car is pretty much a hard requirement. You MIGHT be able to get away with it for the first two years, but I'd strongly recommend against even trying. Lubbock has very few roads with bike lanes. It also has a terrible stormwater drainage system, so the edge of most roads is always a puddle when it rains. If you were riding a bike, you'd be hitting puddles and risk running into potholes that were hidden by those puddles. You also are limited to living extremely close to campus, which significantly increases your cost of living. Lubbock also has terrible drivers. It just isn't worth risking your life for a bike. If this is the school you end up going to, I would do everything you can to buy a car, even if it is a beater from Craigslist.
To be perfectly honest. Almost every city in Texas feels like you’ll need a car. Especially with rotations at diff hospitals. Even when I was in galvy for a couple of months, I still felt like I needed a car to get around. The only one that COULD be debated is Austin but that’s pretty much only if you live downtown and don’t expect to go anywhere else. I lived near the domain and you definitely needed a car in that area too.

As someone who’s car shopping right now with these ridiculous prices and interest rates, it’s rough out here. Some advice, IMO standard interest rate right now is 5-7% (crazy I know). A car that has been babied and has 100k miles may last longer than a car that’s been run through by 2 owners and a rental agency with 60k miles

Last edited:
Have any OOS people heard back yet? It’s been almost two months since the interview for me and I haven’t gotten anything from them. My inbox from TTU has been so quiet I’m starting to miss the preview day invites lol