2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Post-II Hold OOS interviewed 2/20

Members don't see this ad.

Post-II Hold. OOS. Interviewed 2/15. Guess im diving into my another gap year back up plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if they offer full COA or tuition scholarships? I got my loan package but confused on if this is all they are offering.

Hold like some of you. Trying to hang in there.

Post II hold. Interviewed 2/3! Likely will be withdrawing from hold list

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know about end of February?
I would have guessed the end of March but when they send out decisions, it's all in one day. I'm assuming you will also have to wait until the end of April to know for sure

They offer some scholarships but no one on this thread knows if they have already been distributed our not.
Following up as the Office of Student Affairs got back to me a few minutes ago. Here is what they said (some personal details redacted):

"Our scholarship committee meets on a consistent basis and over the next several weeks, the Committee will be offering scholarship support. Our first priority will be students who demonstrate significant financial need. Students who are eligible for need-based scholarships or merit-based scholarship support will be notified by the Student Aid office."

Fingers crossed and good luck everyone! I go back and forth if Penn State is worth the high $56K tuition they are asking for (assuming I don't get any scholarship support). I am fortunate to have other fantastic options (some for "higher" ranked schools and some that would be half the price) but I foolishly love this med school more than I should

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else interview around/before these dates and NOT receive a decision today...?

I was mentally and emotionally ready to get a rejection or a hold. When I received an A, I was initially ecstatic for a few minutes, followed by nausea and dizziness.
(I've also been checking the portal at least a couple of times a day since Thursday to make sure the offer letter is still there and that I clicked "accept", and then ask my wife to double-check. I think she's getting annoyed at me at this point).

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
I was mentally and emotionally ready to get a rejection or a hold. When I received an A, I was initially ecstatic for a few minutes, followed by nausea and dizziness.
(I've also been checking the portal at least a couple of times a day since Thursday to make sure the offer letter is still there and that I clicked "accept", and then ask my wife to double-check. I think she's getting annoyed at me at this point).
Congrats! When did you interview?

Does anyone know if they are giving out merit based scholarships?

Question for current students: does anyone work any little side jobs? When I was in college I worked at the campus Starbucks about 10 hours per week. It was a perfect way to get a little spending money and focus my free time a little more. Any thoughts?

Question for current students: does anyone work any little side jobs? When I was in college I worked at the campus Starbucks about 10 hours per week. It was a perfect way to get a little spending money and focus my free time a little more. Any thoughts?
Very few, I don't know anybody in my class that has a side hustle (though there may be a few who have it, I'm not sure). I think one girl maintains part time her job as a broker on Wall Street (but she is insanely, insanely talented and efficient).

This is standard everywhere, not just Penn State - you really will not have time to do much in preclinical. If med school is the major leagues, then undergrad was the junior softball league. I worked three jobs in undergrad - 20+ hours a week as a scribe, worked for housing, worked as a TA. With how busy I am with preclinicals and research and extracurriculars (and taking care of myself in general) I personally do not have time for a part time job (and I consider myself incredibly efficient, considering I worked 3 jobs in undergrad and graduated with a 3.9+ and a publication).

You could theoretically do it. I really wouldn't bet on it, though.

Does anyone know if there is a specific date (for ex. some schools are 3 weeks before the first day of orientation) that we have to drop all waitlists and fully commit to penn state?

Does anyone know if there is a specific date (for ex. some schools are 3 weeks before the first day of orientation) that we have to drop all waitlists and fully commit to penn state?
I believe it’s April 30th but you can still be on waitlists

I believe it’s April 30th but you can still be on waitlists
that's the PTE deadline. individuals schools have different CTE deadlines, so i think you have to check with them! it wasn't readily apparent on the website, though some schools to post it there

that's the PTE deadline. individuals schools have different CTE deadlines, so i think you have to check with them! it wasn't readily apparent on the website, though some schools to post it there

I've emailed/called Penn State to ask but they said they'll just let us know so no date as of yet. For April 30th, is it a must to PTE, or is that a suggested thing/school-specific? Asking because of how it may affect WL

I've emailed/called Penn State to ask but they said they'll just let us know so no date as of yet. For April 30th, is it a must to PTE, or is that a suggested thing/school-specific? Asking because of how it may affect WL
yeah so for the PTE deadline, you have to indicate PTE for 1 school, but you can still hold onto WLs until your PTE school's CTE deadline, but you have to drop other As at the PTE deadline. the CTE deadline is when you have to drop waitlists and fully commit to that 1 school. CTE varies by school. i do think some schools have a CTE date of april 30th, but if Penn State says they don't have one yet, it * probably * isn't then i'd assume

yeah so for the PTE deadline, you have to indicate PTE for 1 school, but you can still hold onto WLs until your PTE school's CTE deadline, but you have to drop other As at the PTE deadline. the CTE deadline is when you have to drop waitlists and fully commit to that 1 school. CTE varies by school. i do think some schools have a CTE date of april 30th, but if Penn State says they don't have one yet, it * probably * isn't then i'd assume
Got it, thanks! For the past 2 years, it's been around June 20-22 so I'm assuming that'll stay the same?

finally got the pre-II R- first time hearing from them since I was complete in july

Quick Question:
I was told that 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year are all pass/fail, but that active internships (4th year) are graded but can anyone tell me how they are graded?

is it possible to hear back before the end of April for decisions? Interviewed end of March but there was no mention of the timeline during the interview day although it seems the end of April from last year. I was hoping that any current student or anyone knows if we may hear back before April 15th.

Has anyone who interviewed in March heard back yet? The wait is really getting harder and harder now :(

Reactions: 1 users
Got it, thanks! For the past 2 years, it's been around June 20-22 so I'm assuming that'll stay the same?
We actually got an email from PSU about CYMS tool that states that you must drop all waitlists and commit to Penn State by June 19 (3 weeks before the start of orientation)!

• Care