2021-2022 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm getting kind of nervous! Interviewed 11/18, still nothing. It could be delayed because of the holiday

Members don't see this ad.

I'm getting kind of nervous! Interviewed 11/18, still nothing. It could be delayed because of the holiday
from what I remember, they mentioned Dec. 4 & 11 as the date the committee was meeting to discuss interviews for 11/18. So if not today, then next week, I anticipate. :scared:

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, current 2nd year here. I'd like to offer you all a courtesy warning about attending this school. The curriculum places a HUGE emphasis on OMM. We do it at least 4+ hours per week, while you can find other schools that do much less. As an applicant, you may be thinking its no big deal right now, but let me tell you it is incredibly burdensome to spend so much time on something that matters so little. Matters so little in the sense that 1) OMM is a dubious therapeutic option at best (but hey we've all gotten past this if we were willing to apply/attend a DO school) and, possibly more importantly, 2) OMM comprises a relatively small portion of our block grades but requires 10s of hours of studying to pass the practical exams. While we waste away memorizing osteopathic structural exams (likely never to be used again), our foundational knowledge about the pathology of hematology, cardio, renal, GI, etc, are all compromised.
If you gotta apply DO, that's fine. But you should know about the curriculum here - its very OMM heavy. I came here thinking we'd be doing a lot less OMM and I have regrets.
Just something to consider.

Good luck to you all in the cycle!
I feel u, 150+ techniques being fair game aren't fun with how much little time we had.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask where you heard that?
Just pulled out my paper notes from interview day. The dates I have written are actually Nov. 30th and Dec. 2nd as when the committee were meeting, as opposed to Dec 4/11 as I previously mentioned (and incorrectly remembered). Someone else can confirm, but that's what I heard Director Hanson say while we were in the main room. It could likely be they are running behind due to Thanksgiving.

Just pulled out my paper notes from interview day. The dates I have written are actually Nov. 30th and Dec. 2nd as when the committee were meeting, as opposed to Dec 4/11 as I previously mentioned (and incorrectly remembered). Someone else can confirm, but that's what I heard Director Hanson say while we were in the main room. It could likely be they are running behind due to Thanksgiving.
Okay, thank you!! I must’ve missed when they said that or still been in my interview. Hopefully we hear back soon😅

Does anyone know if they accept update letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they accept update letters?
Nope. There’s a page on the portal to update stuff and it says only if they requested something

Reactions: 1 user
I also had the same interview date and haven't heard back yet. It's been almost a full month!
Did they tell you when to expect a response? I interviewed late November and they told us they'd get back to us in 2 weeks

Did they tell you when to expect a response? I interviewed late November and they told us they'd get back to us in 2 weeks
They said 2 weeks for me too but Thanksgiving may make it a bit longer. I didn't expect a whole month though! Getting nervous!

For those who also interviewed 11/18 & 11/19:

My portal now has a notice that the school will be closed for Winter Break from December 17 to January 3, so I am hoping we will hear back before Friday!

For those who also interviewed 11/18 & 11/19:

My portal now has a notice that the school will be closed for Winter Break from December 17 to January 3, so I am hoping we will hear back before Friday!
I think it would be a little unfair of them to hold our decision until January 3rd. Hopefully we will hear back by Friday I agree!

For all my 11/18 interviewees: I called the admissions office and they said our decisions should be sent by Friday! Get excited!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just received an update saying that they Couldn't offer me a position for the class of 2026 because the class is full. However, they are offering me a position in their class of 2027. They did also mention that if a position opens up for next year, they'll contact me. Does anyone know what are the chances of space opening up for next year?

I just received an update saying that they Couldn't offer me a position for the class of 2026 because the class is full. However, they are offering me a position in their class of 2027. They did also mention that if a position opens up for next year, they'll contact me. Does anyone know what are the chances of space opening up for next year?
what the class is full??? already??
why not just waitlist instead of offering for class of 2027. that's insane

+1

any 11/18 interviewees hear back? I guess they really are waiting till the last mminute on Friday to get back to us

All good, it's still an A so all good vibes! Interviewed last week of November
From my understanding after reviewing last year's thread, they had three designations outside of immediate acceptance versus rejection which was deferred acceptance, waitlist, and alternate status. Admissions stated that deferred acceptance > waitlist > alternate status in terms of priority. It's unclear whether this will be the case again this year but I'm fairly certain it has been in years past as well. I believe there is substantial deferred acceptance movement so fingers 🤞

Last edited:
  • Love
From my understanding after reviewing last year's thread, they had three designations outside of immediate acceptance versus rejection which was provisional acceptance, waitlist, and alternate status. Admissions stated that provisional acceptance > waitlist > alternate status in terms of priority. It's unclear whether this will be the case again this year but I'm fairly certain it has been in years past as well. I believe there is substantial provisional acceptance movement so fingers 🤞
And with that information, I will gladly be rejecting the alternate status I received last night. I received an acceptance elsewhere that I am happy with. I hope this moves someone up on the list. Good luck everyone! :)

And with that information, I will gladly be rejecting the alternate status I received last night. I received an acceptance elsewhere that I am happy with. I hope this moves someone up on the list. Good luck everyone! :)
I'm happy you received an acceptance somewhere! May I ask when you interviewed with COMP?

Still haven't heard back, and I interviewed 11/18. Anyone else in the same boat?

11/18ers, check your emails! I just got an update on my status, accepted!!

Reactions: 3 users