2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they meant all at once on any given day. And I think the answer is they seem to do batched release (i.e. all-at-once on Thursdays/Fridays), but that no one really understands the process here so *shrug*.
so more decisions may come tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
is this sarcasm? or do they actually not release all decisions at once? I have been waiting since september and UCLA is one of my favorite schools. I was holding hope for what was supposed to be a big release of decisions in mid-feb
Yes it was sarcasm

Only one A on SDN for what’s supposed to be a big wave?

Reactions: 1 user
Was also wondering this. I have yet to complete the institutional aid forms because I'm non-trad and getting parental info is proving to be difficult. One parent hasn't filed taxes in years and I'm just like 🤦🏽‍♀️
But I don't want that to slow down an aid package. And I'm hoping scholarship info is sent soon.
Same, Scholarship and fin aid will determine if I go to second look

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Only one A on SDN for what’s supposed to be a big wave?
is there any reason people seem to think it's going to be a big wave this week? UCLA adcoms said it would a continuous staggered release through March.

is there any reason people seem to think it's going to be a big wave this week? UCLA adcoms said it would a continuous staggered release through March.
Some of them are desperately waiting for the good news. We can't predict anything but let's just hope that there is a big wave, come on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, my guy (lol) told me that there's one final (big) wave of decisions coming in mid to late Feb, after which scholarship notifications will begin.
Hmmmmm perhaps this post caused some people to think that.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Hmmmmm perhaps this post caused some people to think that.
Oh my god
I forgot about that
Wow.
In my interview day they said continuous release, but the guy that called me about acceptance did say that skipped my mind damn.

Does UCLA sometimes release admissions decisions at the same time as merit scholarship awards in the same email?

Does UCLA sometimes release admissions decisions at the same time as merit scholarship awards in the same email?
I think that’s for march decisions onward. For earlier decisions they don’t even have any scholarship review yet.

Interestingly, I talked to a med student at ucla that got a full merit scholarship off the waitlist. I was under the impression that being waitlisted kills your scholarship chances at schools, but I guess not.

Reactions: 1 users
I think that’s for march decisions onward. For earlier decisions they don’t even have any scholarship review yet.

Interestingly, I talked to a med student at ucla that got a full merit scholarship off the waitlist. I was under the impression that being waitlisted kills your scholarship chances at schools, but I guess not.
Saw a YouTube video where someone got a Geffen off the waitlist at the end of April. Pretty cool.

Thats so cool! I didn't know UCLA released waitlists, I thought they just silently accepted people off an internal waitlist (at least thats what I understood from this thread). Do you have any information on when waitlists are released?

Thats so cool! I didn't know UCLA released waitlists, I thought they just silently accepted people off an internal waitlist (at least thats what I understood from this thread). Do you have any information on when waitlists are released?
The YouTube vide where the person said they got a Geffen off the waitlist said they were waitlisted end of March/Early April. No idea how reliable this info is though.

yea, sorry, I actually said that myself earlier. I really do keep contradicting myself lol, though to be fair, it's really different people inside UCLA telling me things that are different haha.

From last year's thread it looked as if there was no waitlist as not a single person reported being waitlisted. Perhaps there was one earlier, or perhaps this guy just assumed he had been waitlisted as he was admitted in May.

yea, sorry, I actually said that myself earlier. I really do keep contradicting myself lol, though to be fair, it's really different people inside UCLA telling me things that are different haha.

From last year's thread it looked as if there was no waitlist as not a single person reported being waitlisted. Perhaps there was one earlier, or perhaps this guy just assumed he had been waitlisted as he was admitted in May.
If you look two cycles ago they had a waitlist that was ranked, with some people getting "top of the list" indications. Maybe last year was weird because of Covid, or maybe they decided to change their practices. Probably not worth speculating, but last year a lot of post-II R's came out on March 9th, so dodging the R wave might be the best thing to hope for now.

This is a stretch but does anyone know if interviewers have any weigh in on scholarships or anything like that post-acceptance? I know they plan on sending financial aid out soon so have likely already made decisions but just got a call/VM from my interviewer and just wanted to double check!

Thank you and hope everyone is having a great day!

Have any admitted students completed the Institutional Application form for need-based aid? Is it submitted once we hit "save" or do we need to upload it / e-mail it to the financial aid office?

Also, @lostmed I also received a phone call and I have zero idea if interviewer's have any impact on scholarship decisions -- but waiting anxiously here with you :)

• Care
Have any admitted students completed the Institutional Application form for need-based aid? Is it submitted once we hit "save" or do we need to upload it / e-mail it to the financial aid office?

Also, @lostmed I also received a phone call and I have zero idea if interviewer's have any impact on scholarship decisions -- but waiting anxiously here with you :)
I filled it out and submitted it. I emailed financial aid to confirm that it had been received. I'll let you know if they ask me to send in a copy!

This is a stretch but does anyone know if interviewers have any weigh in on scholarships or anything like that post-acceptance? I know they plan on sending financial aid out soon so have likely already made decisions but just got a call/VM from my interviewer and just wanted to double check!

I’m not sure what purpose an interviewer’s contact post acceptance would serve, as I assume everything positive they originally wrote about you would still be true, and what new information could they possibly add? So I doubt they have much input into scholarships beyond their original notes.

I’m not sure what purpose an interviewer’s contact post acceptance would serve, as I assume everything positive they originally wrote about you would still be true, and what new information could they possibly add? So I doubt they have much input into scholarships beyond their original notes.
I think this is accurate. It’s probably a recruiting tool. Though I hope it’s a sign and I get a call from my interviewer soon. Despite how crappy my interviews were, I think I have a good rapport with my interviewer since she sent me a heartfelt response to my thank you note (more than my thank you note deserved). And, of course, I got in even after that terrible interview.

I have had this feeling since August that I’ll end up in the Bay Area for med school (which was somewhat confirmed since I was very fortunate and got IIs from two great schools in that area), but if I get the David Geffen scholarship, I’ll probably pick UCLA and never look back.

Forgot to post but I got my A last Thursday! Super stoked. Good luck to everyone this week and next!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Huge Congrats! What time were you notified? By email? Today is Thursday. How long can I have hope? I can't do anything.
It appears that the pattern tends to be that emails go out at either 3pm on Thursday or 10am on Friday.

EDIT: I received my 'A' via email right at 9:57am on a Friday, received the call ~10:30am.

Last edited:

I emailed them like @JoyFairy and they told me they did receive them so “save” works!

Sending love!

• Care
but if I get the David Geffen scholarship, I’ll probably pick UCLA and never look back.
It would literally make me drop every other school. One because the scholarship and two, I wouldn’t have to fill out financial aid because this is exhausting especially now that I have to do a waiver.

• Care
It would literally make me drop every other school. One because the scholarship and two, I wouldn’t have to fill out financial aid because this is exhausting especially now that I have to do a waiver.
Same!!!! I really don't want to have to do this annually. Repeatedly explaining why I need a waiver isn't exactly pleasant for my fam :confused:

And yes @MedSchmetterling I emailed and they confirmed that "save" works.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users

So I actually got a call from both interviewers and my second interviewer let me know that once a student is accepted the admissions committee forwards the contact information to the people that interviewed said student. At that point, the interviewer can decide whether or not they want to contact the student. It doesn't seem like receiving a call from your interviewers indicates anything about scholarships and I would be surprised if interviewers had a say in whether a student gets a scholarship.

Reactions: 4 users
I was waitlisted just now via email - interviewed in September.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Does it say anything about top of the list or where you are on the list?
It says verbatim "
As your application is near the top of our list, you will be among the first to receive an opening space in our 2022 entering class. "

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
So I actually got a call from both interviewers and my second interviewer let me know that once a student is accepted the admissions committee forwards the contact information to the people that interviewed said student. At that point, the interviewer can decide whether or not they want to contact the student. It doesn't seem like receiving a call from your interviewers indicates anything about scholarships and I would be surprised if interviewers had a say in whether a student gets a scholarship.
Aww that’s nice! And thank you!

Same!!!! I really don't want to have to do this annually. Repeatedly explaining why I need a waiver isn't exactly pleasant for my fam :confused:

And yes @MedSchmetterling I emailed and they confirmed that "save" works.
Same! Especially because I was told I originally didn’t need to and now I do. I’m also worried since they say they don’t review it until late spring and I wonder if that means I won’t have a financial aid package until then either because I would rather make a decision sooner than later…

I am meeting with financial aid today though so I’ll ask this and if anyone has any other pressing questions!

• Care