2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II yesterday. Complete 8/19.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Were you all able to reach the ~500 word count? I am finding myself at about 300 words...

Any current student here who knows if Joplin accepts international/Canadian students?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II so I hope so lol
I got one as well but I put KC as my preference but if Joplin accepts International Students I would like to change to "no preference". I do not want that to impact the interview. Would you mind telling me if you had a preference ?

Were you all able to reach the ~500 word count? I am finding myself at about 300 words...
Word/character counts are not the required amount you have to get to; it's a limit. It's better to be concise but fully answer the questions. No adcom wants to read a bunch of fluff. 300 words is plenty

Any current student here who knows if Joplin accepts international/Canadian students?
I am not one of these but I have friends and classmates who are Canadian/international students.

Note: I am a Joplin 4th year

Word/character counts are not the required amount you have to get to; it's a limit. It's better to be concise but fully answer the questions. No adcom wants to read a bunch of fluff. 300 words is plenty
Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm with someone since these essays are a bit different than the usual "Why us?" kind of essay :)

For those who got pre II hold or rejection but had good gpa and MCAT, why do you think that decision was made?
I just got a pre-interview hold email this week, but I dont think stats had anything to do with it. The email literally says we are “qualified”, so I think our apps just didnt read as a perfect fit for the campus… remember this is still eary in the season so many of us that are “good” fits but not “perfect” will still get in, just later on.

How likely is it to get an II from the qualified list?

How likely is it to get an II from the qualified list?

In last year's thread a few people ended up getting an II in Feb/March, and in this thread, someone from last year mentioned they got the hold email but then got an II a month later. So idk how common, but it's certainly not an R

Just got a 'interview hold' email? Saying how I was 'qualified' but didn't get thru the first app review. Not sure what to think of this...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a 'interview hold' email? Saying how I was 'qualified' but didn't get thru the first app review. Not sure what to think of this...
If you have good stats/ experience, don't worry, you're going to get in somewhere. Who knows, you might get an interview in a month at KCU... it's very early, so they take in the most competitive applicants first, so they don't go MD. Stay positive ... We got this!

Reactions: 2 users
If you have good stats/ experience, don't worry, you're going to get in somewhere. Who knows, you might get an interview in a month at KCU... it's very early, so they take in the most competitive applicants first, so they don't go MD. Stay positive ... We got this!
Thanks for the encouragement tho I would like to say that I already have three IIs so this doesn't bother me too much.

hey guys! i just submitted my secondary. Do I have to directly email any additional supporting documents to the KCUCOM admissions committee or will they get all that from the AACOMAs application in the next few weeks?

hey guys! i just submitted my secondary. Do I have to directly email any additional supporting documents to the KCUCOM admissions committee or will they get all that from the AACOMAs application in the next few weeks?
Hello! They get it all from AACOMAS. If you would like to add any additional documentation regarding your improvement that makes yourself more competitive, you can email them. An example of that would be another outstanding LOR from a physician or a new research opportunity that you took on. - Cheers and good luck :)

Hey everyone,

Canadian OMSI here at KCU. Feel free to ask any questions or DM me!

What do you like most about kcu?
I've only been here for about 2 months now so there's definitely a lot that I have yet to experience but so far the KCU experience has been great. One thing that really stood out to me was the number of resources available for your learning and success here. The school wants you to succeed and they have so many tutoring, small group sessions, counselling services, etc available for free for all students. I'm sure other US med schools have this as well but KCU really makes it clear and encourages you to take part.

Reactions: 3 users
I've only been here for about 2 months now so there's definitely a lot that I have yet to experience but so far the KCU experience has been great. One thing that really stood out to me was the number of resources available for your learning and success here. The school wants you to succeed and they have so many tutoring, small group sessions, counselling services, etc available for free for all students. I'm sure other US med schools have this as well but KCU really makes it clear and encourages you to take part.
Thank you!

Hello! They get it all from AACOMAS. If you would like to add any additional documentation regarding your improvement that makes yourself more competitive, you can email them. An example of that would be another outstanding LOR from a physician or a new research opportunity that you took on. - Cheers and good luck :)
thank you so much RoyalCO :)

Quick question! I just submitted my secondary but it shows that all of the dots for the different sections are green except for the "review" one. Will that turn green when my app is reviewed? or am I missing a step and my secondary isn't complete yet?

I got one as well but I put KC as my preference but if Joplin accepts International Students I would like to change to "no preference". I do not want that to impact the interview. Would you mind telling me if you had a preference ?
Put your preference as where you would like to attend and if you don't have a preference then put that. There are as many international students in both campuses don't worry

Joplin has international/Canadian students. I have many classmates that would identify as either of those. Criteria for admission is the same for both campuses.

Hey! Is KCOM's interview style technically classified as MMI?
I’m wondering the same thing^^

Edit: Just finished the virtual interview with KCU-COM today! And I’d say it’s partially MMI in regards to answering hypothetical scenarios, but the faculty and students are super chill! (as most KCU-COM threads have stated in the past)

For those being interviewed in these upcoming months DO NOT STRESS, they are only trying to make conversation! Be yourself, prepare questions to ask and you’ll be fine!

Last edited:
I’m wondering the same thing^^

Edit: Just finished the virtual interview with KCU-COM today! And I’d say it’s partially MMI in regards to answering hypothetical scenarios, but the faculty and students are super chill! (as most KCU-COM threads have stated in the past)

For those being interviewed in these upcoming months DO NOT STRESS, they are only trying to make conversation! Be yourself, prepare questions to ask and you’ll be fine!

Did they ask you any specific questions about your app? Or was it all MMI-type questions?

Could those that have interviewed suggest any advice please? How was the overall experience? Thanks :)

Wondering the same as well
Hi all! OMS-1 at Joplin here. You won’t be able to get a ton of info about the interview because KCU has everyone sign an NDA before they interview. As someone who did it last year it’s very relaxed compared to most so just enjoy the conversation and be yourself! They truly do just want to get to know you as a person! Not just a list of numbers. KCU is really good at showing they value all kinds of students with all kinds of backgrounds. (I got in with a low MCAT and I think my interview was the main reason they gave me a chance). Feel free to dm for any questions!

Thanks everyone! I read through the posts - so it’s closed file, semi MMI ish haha

but overall, just prep with the standard interview questions? (Not asking about specific questions but just how everyone prepared)

OOS - Interview invite on 9/13, Interview scheduled for December! 503 MCAT, 3.68 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA

Thanks everyone! I read through the posts - so it’s closed file, semi MMI ish haha

but overall, just prep with the standard interview questions? (Not asking about specific questions but just how everyone prepared)
If you can answer:

"Why KCU?"

"Why do you want to be a DO?"

"Tell me about yourself"

"Why medicine?"

If you can successfully go through these, then you are prepared for frankly any medical school interview.

Nobody can give the specific questions outside of the regular interview questions (above) because of the NDA, but that's about as generalized as I can go with that

Source: M2 at KCU

Also the interview here at KCU is really laid back but still professional. I remember going from KCU's interview to one at DMU and I got absolutely grilled at DMU lol

I have interviewed here, and I also had a really positive experience. I would not stress about it, at all.