2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted my secondary back in late June. The status has been “submitted” since then. Is anyone else still on this status?
I am too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview! I didn't get a real email--it came through the portal around 2 pm (I guess obsessively checking does pay off?). Chose the 10/10 interview date. This is my first interview so I'm super stoked!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II! This is my first one and I'm so excited. I think all of my boxes were checked 8/13 or so.

Got an interview! I didn't get a real email--it came through the portal around 2 pm (I guess obsessively checking does pay off?). Chose the 10/10 interview date. This is my first interview so I'm super stoked!

Congrats! Was there a specific place on the portal that updated or a tab that got added?

I submitted my secondary back in late June. The status has been “submitted” since then. Is anyone else still on this status?
My son has the same status but submitted on 8/1. Not sure what the status changes to next for either positive or negative.

Anyone who interviewed 9/12 heard back yet? I know it hasn't been that long, but I am starting to psych myself out (beyond my average level).

Anyone who interviewed 9/12 heard back yet? I know it hasn't been that long, but I am starting to psych myself out (beyond my average level).
@tor_n First, congrats on getting an interview with the school! Since it has been less than two weeks, I'd say hang in there. Consider this, my son (and lots of others) hasn't/haven't even received an II yet and you've already completed that part. You obviously caught the eye of the admissions folks and will likely do the same with that of other schools. Be confident in that and know you've already done a LOT of great work to get to this point! Praying you get some good news soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I also interviewed that day. If I remember correctly, they said they’d have news around 2 weeks from then. So we should be getting something soon.

I interviewed that day too... still constantly refreshing my email :). I thought they mentioned two weeks, but I also thoguht I saw 3 weeks in another place. It seems like Pamona interviewees are still waiting 3 weeks out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Officially 2 weeks since the 9/12 interview date! Hoping for a verdict soon :) Am doing my best to balance my excitement-to-neuroticism ratio... definitely checking my email too much. In the interview day packet is says "14-21 working days", although I do recall them stating 2-3 weeks on the interview date itself. Not sure what they classify as a working day? If they mean weekdays then we could be looking at at least another week. Fingers crossed!

Officially 2 weeks since the 9/12 interview date! Hoping for a verdict soon :) Am doing my best to balance my excitement-to-neuroticism ratio... definitely checking my email too much. In the interview day packet is says "14-21 working days", although I do recall them stating 2-3 weeks on the interview date itself. Not sure what they classify as a working day? If they mean weekdays then we could be looking at at least another week. Fingers crossed!

If you look at the admission process video modules given once you receive an interview invite, Dr. Goering stated that week 1 after interviews (Tuesday’s and Thursday’s) he receives recommendations from the ADCOM, then, week 2, he meets with the dean and provides recommendations. He said that we should then hear back from them by 3 weeks following this process.

I went back and re-watched the videos to calm my nerves :)

Hopefully we’ll hear back this week!

Can anyone here speak to the job market in Lebanon for potential significant others? Thanks!

Does anybody have advice on post-interview thank you emails for this school? I made sure to personally thank my interviewers at the end of my interview. However, most schools deem it a professional courtesy to send a thank you email after the interview as well and others ask they not be sent. It wasn't mentioned at all during the interview day and I'm curious if anyone knows COMP-NW perspective on them.

Can anyone here speak to the job market in Lebanon for potential significant others? Thanks!

what kind of job are they looking for? Lots of opportunities within 30 min of Lebanon between Lebs, Albany and Corvallis. Eugene and Salem are 45 min away as well

Does anybody have advice on post-interview thank you emails for this school? I made sure to personally thank my interviewers at the end of my interview. However, most schools deem it a professional courtesy to send a thank you email after the interview as well and others ask they not be sent. It wasn't mentioned at all during the interview day and I'm curious if anyone knows COMP-NW perspective on them.

you can always email Shauna a thank you

I had previously emailed Shauna to ask for contact information to follow-up with thank-you emails. She said they actually have people send them directly to her and she can forward them ( I imagine for greater privacy.)

As far as advice, I would avoid being generic. Try to think hard about your interview and the meaningful feedback or perspective you gained. Maybe think about the answers your interviewers were able to provide to questions you had and what you took away from the interaction. Aside from thanking people on ADCOMs for taking extra time from their normal schedules to interview you, you want to be able to briefly reflect on something along those lines to help ADCOMs remember your specific interactions in a positive and meaningful way. There are some good videos on this topic, I feel like medical school HQ does a good job of explaining this part of the process.

Good Luck!

what kind of job are they looking for? Lots of opportunities within 30 min of Lebanon between Lebs, Albany and Corvallis. Eugene and Salem are 45 min away as well
No specific job (he is currently admitting rep and security in a hospital), but just trying to get a feel for whether it will be more or less difficult to get a job than our current situation (small rural town). Assuming I were to get in, of course. Gotta distract myself somehow! Glad to hear there are plenty of nearby opportunities. Thank you!

Hey All! I’m a current second year at COMP-NW, here to answer any questions you may have! Best of luck with the app cycle.

@snowcrawler85
Hi and thank you for joining this forum!

I was hoping you could tell me if there is any use of a "flipped classroom" model at COMP-NW? For example, the use of small breakout sessions to facilitate problem-solving and group-based learning. My impression is that most lectures are traditional (i.e. lecturer providing content to the whole classroom.) COVID may have affected this, but I have seen how this approach can still be used even with ZOOM. Thanks!

@snowcrawler85
Hi and thank you for joining this forum!

I was hoping you could tell me if there is any use of a "flipped classroom" model at COMP-NW? For example, the use of small breakout sessions to facilitate problem-solving and group-based learning. My impression is that most lectures are traditional (i.e. lecturer providing content to the whole classroom.) COVID may have affected this, but I have seen how this approach can still be used even with ZOOM. Thanks!

We do flipped classroom but they are facilitated differently, basically you prep prior to lecture and then the majority of lecture is top hat questions surrounding the material. During the questions we would discuss in a small group when we are on campus, clearly we are not doing that now. Yes, the majority of lectures 98% are traditional..

Accepted!!!!! :soexcited:

I received a phone call for acceptance, they said that an email should be following in the next couple days. No status change or update in the application portal.

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted!!!!! :soexcited:

I received a phone call for acceptance, they said that an email should be following in the next couple days. No status change or update in the application portal.

+1

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone accepted! Does anyone know whether all acceptance calls are done on the same day? I interviewed 9/12 and assume that since I didn't receive an acceptance phone call today, I should expect either WL or R. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, though.

Congrats to everyone accepted! Does anyone know whether all acceptance calls are done on the same day? I interviewed 9/12 and assume that since I didn't receive an acceptance phone call today, I should expect either WL or R. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised, though.
I can tell you that they all don’t happen on the same day

I haven't heard back yet either and interviewed the same day. High stats applicant and I feel my interview went okay, if not my favorite I've done.

I didn't think this school sent complete emails but lo and behold "Your WesternU App is Ready for Committee Review" email today. I had all the checkboxes on 8/6 for reference. Anyone know how long between this email and a decision?

I didn't think this school sent complete emails but lo and behold "Your WesternU App is Ready for Committee Review" email today. I had all the checkboxes on 8/6 for reference. Anyone know how long between this email and a decision?
Did that include the "CASPer Test Received" checkbox as well? My son's app was all received by 8/1 except the CASPer was not received until 8/14. Wondering if he will get the Committee Review email soon.

Did that include the "CASPer Test Received" checkbox as well? My son's app was all received by 8/1 except the CASPer was not received until 8/14. Wondering if he will get the Committee Review email soon.

Thats correct, I had all the checkboxes, including the test section with the MCAT and the Casper by 8/6.

I also interviewed that day and am blessed to say I got my acceptance call today, so I would say there is still a chance you get an A call as well. In disbelief still. Wish you the best on your cycle.

Reactions: 5 users
Got the call today! Couldn't be happier :) Again, congrats to everyone who was accepted and best of luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got the R. :/

On the bright side, I got some A's to some good schools already. Congrats ya'll!

• Care
I was waitlisted here and just declined the waitlist. I had already ranked them lower than my two acceptances anyway. Truth be told, I had done it before I interviewed, but thought something might change my mind. I think my lack of enthusiasm showed. Good luck on the rest of your cycle, guys!

I was waitlisted here and just declined the waitlist. I had already ranked them lower than my two acceptances anyway. Truth be told, I had done it before I interviewed, but thought something might change my mind. I think my lack of enthusiasm showed. Good luck on the rest of your cycle, guys!

bummer. best of luck in the rest of the cycle!

Got an II this morning! I tried to schedule a date on the "Interview Scheduler" but there was only 1 available day (Nov. 7th, the October dates are already full) that I cannot register for until it is 30 days away. Did anyone else run into similar scheduling difficulties or know how often they open up interview dates?

Reactions: 2 users
Got an II this morning! I tried to schedule a date on the "Interview Scheduler" but there was only 1 available day (Nov. 7th, the October dates are already full) that I cannot register for until it is 30 days away. Did anyone else run into similar scheduling difficulties or know how often they open up interview dates?

I had the same issue. I tried emailing the admissions officer listed in the application portal, so will update when I get a response. I also tried calling but I had no luck with any of the numbers listed in the email and the portal. I suppose the other option is to wait until this Thursday to sign up.

I had the same issue. I tried emailing the admissions officer listed in the application portal, so will update when I get a response. I also tried calling but I had no luck with any of the numbers listed in the email and the portal. I suppose the other option is to wait until this Thursday to sign up.

Sorry to hear that!! I was able to snag 10/17 :clap:

Anyone who submitted August 30th or later get an II yet?
My son submitted 8/1 and still no II. The CASPer was received on 7/30 in the "Official Test Scores Received" area but 8/14 in the "Application Checklist". That is his latest date in the list. He sent an email to Admissions asking for status or if he needed to provide anything else. Still no word. Same with PNWU, LECOM, and VCOM. He's been accepted at LMU-Knoxville and has interviews with CUSOM and KYCOM. Not sure if the others are waiting since he is OOS or not. His stats are pretty competative (cGPA & sGPA <3.5 & 312 MCAT) with good ECs. Hoping for something from Western or PNWU. Most of our family is in Washington and we're looking to move there. Good luck with the rest of the stress-fest that is the med school application cycle!

Hi! Sorry if this has already been asked. I know in past years there has been a traditional interview as well as a short MMI. Though this year based on the website it seems as though there is just a 30-minute interview. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Hi! Sorry if this has already been asked. I know in past years there has been a traditional interview as well as a short MMI. Though this year based on the website it seems as though there is just a 30-minute interview. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this?
There is no MMI this year. Only the panel interview.

My son submitted 8/1 and still no II. The CASPer was received on 7/30 in the "Official Test Scores Received" area but 8/14 in the "Application Checklist". That is his latest date in the list. He sent an email to Admissions asking for status or if he needed to provide anything else. Still no word. Same with PNWU, LECOM, and VCOM. He's been accepted at LMU-Knoxville and has interviews with CUSOM and KYCOM. Not sure if the others are waiting since he is OOS or not. His stats are pretty competative (cGPA & sGPA <3.5 & 312 MCAT) with good ECs. Hoping for something from Western or PNWU. Most of our family is in Washington and we're looking to move there. Good luck with the rest of the stress-fest that is the med school application cycle!

hi there. I submitted on 8/1, also from WA, and have not heard back from these schools. I have a sGPA 3.47 and MCAT 510 with some decent ECs. Though, my stats may not be up to par with your sons, they are in a similar range. I think they just have a large amount of applicants that they have to go through. Best of luck to your son. It's all a waiting game at this point! I'm sure he will get some sort of contact soon.

If this is truly your son's first choice, I do recommend writing a letter of interest and emailing it to admissions at Lebanon or attaching it to his portal. A letter of interest was the reason I got an interview a few years ago, and it goes a long way to show admissions that they won't be wasting an interview on someone who may never chose to come here

If this is truly your son's first choice, I do recommend writing a letter of interest and emailing it to admissions at Lebanon or attaching it to his portal. A letter of interest was the reason I got an interview a few years ago, and it goes a long way to show admissions that they won't be wasting an interview on someone who may never chose to come here
Great feedback! I hadn't thought of that and assume my son had not either. I'll chat with him this weekend about the letter. Many thanks!

Considering applying to Western COMP. Is it too late?