2020-2021 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an II today super excited! This is my very first II from all my applications!
Also got an II today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey All! I’m a current second year at COMP-NW, here to answer any questions you may have! Best of luck with the app cycle.

Thank you! What do you think (or know of) regarding the quality of rotations? Also, are there a good amount of opportunities to do research?

Thank you! What do you think (or know of) regarding the quality of rotations? Also, are there a good amount of opportunities to do research?
So I believe, compared to other DO schools specially, COMP-NW has great rotations and you are pretty much guaranteed the rotation location you want. A lot students stay in Corvallis/Albany/Lebanon area and rotate at Samaritan Health. Samaritan has general and orthopedic surgery, IM, and derm residencies. Several students go up to Portland as well and as you may know there are several chances to rotate with residency programs there as well. We have rotations where you can be a first assist and others where you work with fellows, residents and other med students.

I think there is as much research as you want. We have a bench research lab on Lebanon campus, many students work there with faculty. I have two projects going with anatomy faculty right now, ideas I had and we decided to execute them. There is many oppurtunities for first years to join established projects and or start their own with faculty.. I would say many of us have 1-3 projects going right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ah yes, the anxiety begins... submitted late July, hoping for an II. Would absolutely love to go to school here! IS, LizzyM 71. Does anyone have any insight into their review process? Mildly concerning to see a couple people here getting IIs who submitted later than I did, but I'm assuming there's still a decent chance I'm in the running.

Last edited:
Hey fellow applicants! Congrats to the interviewees!

All of my boxes are checked -- is there a separate notification/portal indication that we are "complete" or is that with the checks mean?

All of my boxes are checked -- is there a separate notification/portal indication that we are "complete" or is that with the checks mean?
They will send you an email as well. Hang in there!!

When did you submit? Given that there's an 8/2 applicant who got an II, I would say that if you submitted prior to 8/2 you have been reviewed. If you submitted afterward, then you'll probably be reviewed soon. You likely won't find out more than that :/

People who are worried about their status here, or elsewhere: this process goes until MAY! People have reported INTERVIEWING for a school in May, or getting in off of waitlists in July! Not being chosen for an interview at the end of August in no way means it's over. Have confidence in your stats and in your app, because there are nearly 30,000 seats between DO and MD schools every year, and there's a good chance if you apply broadly and early that you can be part of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what they mean by "were you the primary researcher or did you contribute to the published work?" on the secondary section that asks about research experience? I took the lead on a project where I was the 1st author for a poster and the only undergrad student who did it. The only other people credited on the poster is my PI. I'm unsure if this would qualify me as a primary researcher though
That's a tricky situation because you led the project. I would think yes, you were the primary researcher... but I assume the funding is through your PI. I still want to say yes, but I think you should double-check with the admissions committee. Congrats on your research though!

Hey Guys! I submitted on Aug 4th and the secondary portal still marked as submitted instead of complete or under review.
Does it means the admission didn't process it? Or does it means I'm all set and waiting for II?
Should I get in touch with the Admission?
Thank you so much!

Hey Guys! I submitted on Aug 4th and the secondary portal still marked as submitted instead of complete or under review.
Does it means the admission didn't process it? Or does it means I'm all set and waiting for II?
Thank you so much!

I sent my secondary in late June and still have the submitted status

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!
I sent my secondary in late June and still have the submitted status
I have submitted as my status as well. I contacted admissions for a different question last week, and they confirmed that I was complete and under review. I don't think there's ever a separate complete email or portal status update.

That's a tricky situation because you led the project. I would think yes, you were the primary researcher... but I assume the funding is through your PI. I still want to say yes, but I think you should double-check with the admissions committee. Congrats on your research though!
I did contact them and they said I'd be labeled as the primary researcher in my case! And thank you :))

Hey y’all! I’m a fourth year here so if you have any questions about rotations or anything let me know. Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y’all! I’m a fourth year here so if you have any questions about rotations or anything let me know. Good luck to everyone applying!
I have a few questions!

1. How is the community service culture? Are there volunteer ops/student groups? Any integration into the curriculum? Does NW have the 30 hr service requirement as well?
2. What are the student support resources like? for academics and mental/physical health?
3. my application revolves heavily around service of homeless populations and it's pretty clear I'm interested in urban areas.. Do you think COMP-NW is close enough to portland and other cities to fit for me?

I know that's a lot haha feel free to answer as much as you want. Thanks!!!

I have a few questions!

1. How is the community service culture? Are there volunteer ops/student groups? Any integration into the curriculum? Does NW have the 30 hr service requirement as well?
2. What are the student support resources like? for academics and mental/physical health?
3. my application revolves heavily around service of homeless populations and it's pretty clear I'm interested in urban areas.. Do you think COMP-NW is close enough to portland and other cities to fit for me?

1) so many volunteer opportunities! We do have that requirement but I think a lot of people end up doing more than that just because. If you want to be involved you can!
2) our student dean is one of the most amazing human beings ever. Dr. FP’s office is always open. We also have a contract with some counseling services but I’m not 100% how that works since I never had to use it. But it’s available should you need it.
3)Let me be clear with something. Lebanon is not a big city... at all. There are people that live in Portland or Corvallis or Eugene but if you’re looking for the extreme night life then Lebanon is not it. But if you’re looking for the service opportunities that a city provides I think you’re fine. There’s homeless in Lebanon/Corvallis areas and there’s the added challenge of Lebanon being in a rural area. But again. No shortage of opportunities.

@snowcrawler85 anything to add?

1) so many volunteer opportunities! We do have that requirement but I think a lot of people end up doing more than that just because. If you want to be involved you can!
2) our student dean is one of the most amazing human beings ever. Dr. FP’s office is always open. We also have a contract with some counseling services but I’m not 100% how that works since I never had to use it. But it’s available should you need it.
3)Let me be clear with something. Lebanon is not a big city... at all. There are people that live in Portland or Corvallis or Eugene but if you’re looking for the extreme night life then Lebanon is not it. But if you’re looking for the service opportunities that a city provides I think you’re fine. There’s homeless in Lebanon/Corvallis areas and there’s the added challenge of Lebanon being in a rural area. But again. No shortage of opportunities.

@snowcrawler85 anything to add?

Is it typical of med students to live in Portland and commute to campus? Just wondering cause I have family in Portland and it seems like a 1 hour commute each way could be tedious over the course of 4 years.

Is it typical of med students to live in Portland and commute to campus? Just wondering cause I have family in Portland and it seems like a 1 hour commute each way could be tedious over the course of 4 years.
Not necessarily. It’s definitely not typical I agree. But I have friends/classmates that commute from Eugene currently so I mean it can be done. Plus technically lecture doesn’t have required attendance so you don’t have to be on campus five days a week the first two years.

then third or fourth year you live nearest the bulk of your rotations so that could be in Portland.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Not necessarily. It’s definitely not typical I agree. But I have friends/classmates that commute from Eugene currently so I mean it can be done. Plus technically lecture doesn’t have required attendance so you don’t have to be on campus five days a week the first two years.

then third or fourth year you live nearest the bulk of your rotations so that could be in Portland.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Makes sense. Would you be able to quantify that amount? A rough estimate is adequate. I'd just like to know if I'm there like 3/5 days per week on average... etc.

Makes sense. Would you be able to quantify that amount? A rough estimate is adequate. I'd just like to know if I'm there like 3/5 days per week on average... etc.
They changed the curriculum so I’m not sure how accurate this is now, but when I was going through we were only required 2 sometimes 3 days a week.

hey so I’m in the new curriculum no matter what you’ll be on campus 2x a week and the majority 3x a week.. Monday/Tuesdays for OMM and Clinical medicine and reasoning and Fridays for quizzes and workshops. There will be a few weeks where you’ll have to be there 4x a week.

I don’t know if I would recommend a commute like that until you realize you can handle the work load. Med school is freaking insane.

I have a few questions!

so first off Sprinter16 is amazing and everything they said is 100!

1. We have a specific volunteer opportunity to work with the homeless shelter and food kitchen is Lebanon. There are tons of ways to volunteers and rural Oregon has a significant homeless population that really needs the help.

2. Yes, Dr. FP is so amazing. We just got a second counselor for Lebanon students and Dr. FP actually worked with Trillium health insurances to give students 6 free mental health visits. Our mental health and well-being is a clear and obvious priority. Our school also offers tutoring from top students, academic counseling through LEAD and is really great about making sure no one is left behind.

3. Homelessness is everywhere, not sure you need to limit your application to urban areas.

Does anyone know the dress code for the pre-interview Ambassador Social?

casual, don’t need to wear suit or anything. Still probably wouldn’t wear a tshirt or hoodie but just my opinion

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I am from out of state, if I am fortunate to be accepted. What housing areas are available for me?

Thank you!

Hi! I am from out of state, if I am fortunate to be accepted. What housing areas are available for me?

Thank you!
There are a couple apartment complexes within walking distance. One is closer than the other but is more expensive. Both of them are nice apartments! I lived in one and it was really nice being able to walk over to the anatomy lab late at night or run back if I forgot something before class. Alternatively there are some houses for rent around town. If you have a roommate in mind or connect with one of your classmates then you can rent a house together!
As far as towns, I would say a significant portion of people live in Lebanon, but also a good portion that live in Corvallis and Albany (nearby towns). There are even some people that commute from Eugene since they have families in that area.

Hopefully that answers your question!

Lmao I never got my secondary for this school. Wild.

I have some questions I figured I would ask here before I bug admissions.

Does anybody know if the interviews are open or closed application? Also, for the other interviewees that have started to watch the required interviews, is there a QR code for the COMP Northwest Campus video? I didn't see one and I'm not sure if there should be one for this video or not.

Does anybody know if the interviews are open or closed application? Also, for the other interviewees that have started to watch the required interviews, is there a QR code for the COMP Northwest Campus video? I didn't see one and I'm not sure if there should be one for this video or not.
I didn't see one either, but there is one for all the other videos!

For those of you interviewing tomorrow, did you receive a zoom link for the pre-interview ambassador social? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the 3-day reminder email.

I can answer the first question: Open file :)

I didn't see one either, but there is one for all the other videos!

Hiya. So I had a problem with that video, which for some reason would only load on my phone. When I emailed admissions about it, the office staff also informed me that there was no QR code for it.

Hiya. So I had a problem with that video, which for some reason would only load on my phone. When I emailed admissions about it, the office staff also informed me that there was no QR code for it.
That's helpful, thank you! Good luck tomorrow!

That's awesome. Thank you :)

I hope your interviews went well! Mine's soon too.
Thank you! Good luck to you. The interview day was actually kind of fun. It only took about two hours, btw, since so much of the information was already shared in the videos.

Thank you! Good luck to you. The interview day was actually kind of fun. It only took about two hours, btw, since so much of the information was already shared in the videos.
What was the format of the interview? is it a traditional one-on-one or was there some MMI action as well?

I'm not sure about open or closed file, but it was just one 30 minute interview with an admissions panel of 2 - 3 people and a Q&A session. Tbh, I learned more from the med student mixer the night before than from the Q&A during the interview time.
What was the format of the interview? is it a traditional one-on-one or was there some MMI action as well?

Hey All! I’m a current second year at COMP-NW, here to answer any questions you may have! Best of luck with the app cycle.

What is your experience like at the school so far? I'm thinking of attending because I love the location and the integrative medicine longitudinal tract.

What is your experience like at the school so far? I'm thinking of attending because I love the location and the integrative medicine longitudinal tract.

The school is a great school and community to be a part of. I think everyone is struggling right now with COVID and the fires that have ravaged Oregon and California. Lebanon is a small town, like Sprinter16 said. If you are looking for a town of night life and things to do, this may not be your place, but honestly, I'm not sure how anyone has time to do those things anyway. I love Lebanon, I was raised in a small town similar to Lebanon and what I like is that everything I could ever want is 20-30 min drive away. Albany has every store you would need, while Corvallis has the restaurant's and breweries; college vibe that is really fun. The school itself sets you up very well to be successful in school and on boards, we have an amazing match list. Like many of the moderators on SDN say, Western is a good school, it should be considered top tier DO and you will get a good education and most likely match wherever you want. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask. You all will have the ability to interview more because you aren't flying to many of the interviews so I would urge you to ask a lot of questions and really try to see if you fit with the students and faculty you meet over zoom.

I submitted my secondary back in late June. The status has been “submitted” since then. Is anyone else still on this status?

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my secondary back in late June. The status has been “submitted” since then. Is anyone else still on this status?

I submitted in early August and mine still says submitted. I emailed admissions about my MCAT score since I retook it and I wanted to make sure that they saw it. They told me that my file is complete and still under review. Yours might be as well. Hope that helps!

I submitted in early August and mine still says submitted. I emailed admissions about my MCAT score since I retook it and I wanted to make sure that they saw it. They told me that my file is complete and still under review. Yours might be as well. Hope that helps!

Thank you!