2020-2021 University of Pikeville College of Osteopathic Medicine (UP-KYCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When were u complete? Stats?
Thank you <3
Calculated GPAs: Bacc:3.30, Post-Bacc: 4.0, Overall Science: 3.43, Overall Non-Science: 3.64. Nontraditional student, OOS, 4,000+ hrs in clinical setting as a CNA then EMT, volunteering in low-SES settings/programs, MCAT 500 (2nd attempt, 1st was 496), lots of cycling fundraisers (I talk about that because it was a passion turned into something I can do for others and I've spent loads of time on it), maybe only 30ish hours shadowing bc of stupid covid cutting all my stuff short/not allowing students in hospitals near me, and 2 DO LoRs!
Secondary submitted 7/30. Marked complete 9/11. Invite 10/23. Pending actual schedule of interview via email!
I hope that list helps.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted my secondary here! Looking forward to moving ahead in the process.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys! I have a question- upon submitting a secondary here, are we supposed to receive a "complete email" or just the "secondary submitted" email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I have a question- upon submitting a secondary here, are we supposed to receive a "complete email" or just the "secondary submitted" email?
I received an "Application Complete" email the same day I submitted the secondary

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
does anyone know if this school would accept a letter from my professor who is an MD to count towards the physician letter requirement?

does anyone know if this school would accept a letter from my professor who is an MD to count towards the physician letter requirement?

I believe the point of the physician LOR is for your clinical experience (shadowing/working with this doc). If you had classes with them, I'm not sure that will do it, but their website doesn't say that specifically so maybe it could squeak by? It does say they prefer DO letters, but they will accept MD letters. :)

I believe the point of the physician LOR is for your clinical experience (shadowing/working with this doc). If you had classes with them, I'm not sure that will do it, but their website doesn't say that specifically so maybe it could squeak by? It does say they prefer DO letters, but they will accept MD letters. :)

thank you! Some schools have been more lenient about it than others. I emailed them 2 weeks ago asking, and they haven't gotten back to me yet, I was looking through the thread and it seemed like they were backed up so I didn't want to keep bothering them.

• Care
thank you! Some schools have been more lenient about it than others. I emailed them 2 weeks ago asking, and they haven't gotten back to me yet, I was looking through the thread and it seemed like they were backed up so I didn't want to keep bothering them.

I was accepted last week, and I only had an MD letter. The only thing that I had to explain in my interview was explain why I wasn't able to get any DO shadowing hours.

i received an email that they wont send me a secondary but then they saif if i want one they could send me one im confused

• Hmm
i received an email that they wont send me a secondary but then they saif if i want one they could send me one im confused
post a screenshot? Maybe we can help you figure out what they mean?

Reactions: 1 users
I called i have a 499 and 2.95 overall they said my gpa was not good

• Sad
  • Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I called i have a 499 and 2.95 overall they said my gpa was not good
Okay, well that explains it. I'm glad you got some insight as to why their message said what it said. Have you thought of pursuing post-Bacc courses to help raise your cumulative GPA? There are also a lot of free resources for improving the MCAT score, though that part isn't so bad especially for DO schools. We're all here for support too if you need more ideas for how to boost your application <3

Okay, well that explains it. I'm glad you got some insight as to why their message said what it said. Have you thought of pursuing post-Bacc courses to help raise your cumulative GPA? There are also a lot of free resources for improving the MCAT score, though that part isn't so bad especially for DO schools. We're all here for support too if you need more ideas for how to boost your application <3
I already did a masters ended with a 3.38 so im just going to go to ross. Im not going to keep trying to bring my gpa up i feel like mcat shows i can pass my classes tbh but thanks

• Care
Hi guys, I have a question. So I have experience receiving great care from DO and I have written all the things I have learned from my visits, however, I did not receive an opportunity to shadow a DO. I have shadowed MDs..so will I be at a disadvantage? And how do I say this on my secondary app since they said to write the number of hours you shadowed a DO etc.
My son was not able to shadow a DO. He shadowed and MD for ~40 hours. He was interviewed with KYCOM on 10/16 and got accepted 10/22. Also, for anyone who gets an interview, just a heads up. During an interview with a DO school, my son was asked about the difference between DO and MD. He talked about holistic approach, preventative care, OMM, etc. Didn't trash MDs or exalt DOs. Just some known differences. It was a good move. The interviewer then told him that he (the interviewer) is an MD. Seems like kind of a "gotcha" type situation having an MD ask the question during DO interviews. But the point is be aware and respectful. You may not know the background or opinions of the people asking you questions.

• Love
My son was not able to shadow a DO. He shadowed and MD for ~40 hours. He was interviewed with KYCOM on 10/16 and got accepted 10/22. Also, for anyone who gets an interview, just a heads up. During an interview with a DO school, my son was asked about the difference between DO and MD. He talked about holistic approach, preventative care, OMM, etc. Didn't trash MDs or exalt DOs. Just some known differences. It was a good move. The interviewer then told him that he (the interviewer) is an MD. Seems like kind of a "gotcha" type situation having an MD ask the question during DO interviews. But the point is be aware and respectful. You may not know the background or opinions of the people asking you questions.

This is wonderful advice that we should all keep in mind for our interviews, but I just wanted to say that prior to my interview here (KYCOM) I was sent the bios of my interviewers. I don't want anyone panicking about being interviewed by a ninja. Look up your interviewers so you have some idea of who you will be talking to. :luck:

I love this!! So proud of your son :)

• Love
Hey all. I was accepted two weeks ago (LM 65 OOS). I love the school, but I'm just concerned about how isolated the school seems. I was just wondering if any current students could talk about that? Thank you!

Hey all. I was accepted two weeks ago (LM 65 OOS). I love the school, but I'm just concerned about how isolated the school seems. I was just wondering if any current students could talk about that? Thank you!
Ive posted in previous forum about this topic but is there anything specifically you want to know? We have shopping and eating places (not a ton), but honestly most places are limited now due to covid so I'm sure it feels more isolated than normal. The nearest "Big" city is about 2 hours away from here as is the airport so traveling can be a little challenging. Just like with all thing, this is temporary and I preferred the isolation over distraction so I could dedicate my time to studying. There are a ton of outdoor things to do (hiking, kayaking, horseback riding etc). Your 3rd and 4th year can be spent here or you can choose an alternate site to do rotations at so minimum of living in Pikeville is 2 years. I was in Pikeville for 2 years, rotated my 3rd year in Henderson KY (10min from Evansville IN-Big city) and now I am back as a Fellow teaching before finishing my 4th year which will be completed in a variety of places as that is the year for audition rotations and selectives.

• Love
Secondary submitted, 9/8. 3.67 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, unfortunately, my MCAT did not go as I had hoped and I earned a 494. Does anyone know how much the MCAT plays into the admissions decision? Finishing my PhD and have tons of research experience and six publications with a couple of webinars under my belt. Have over 20k hours of clinical experience (civilian and military) and 80 hours of shadowing DOs (and was able to get a DO letter of rec). My most significant volunteer activity was two terms of service as an AmeriCorps VISTA, almost 4k hours over the two years.

• Love
I guess they do. Someone earlier said they got rejected last cycle without getting a secondary. It seems like they do screen but it's not a hard screen (3.2 gpa and 498 mcat). I spoke with the director of admissions and he assured me that he reviews holistically and I believe it. People with lower stats have received acceptance into KYCOM

lol I hate to say it but the screen must be below 498 xD

when did u submit your secondary? how long did it take to receive an interview?

Accepted. Interviewed on 10/30

• Love
Accepted. Interviewed on 10/30
Holy cow! When did they call!? I interviewed 10/26 and am super hopeful to hear back soon! Congrats! And would you mind sharing stats and location?

Just got the acceptance call and I interviewed yesterday!!

• Love
Secondary submitted, 9/8. 3.67 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA, unfortunately, my MCAT did not go as I had hoped and I earned a 494. Does anyone know how much the MCAT plays into the admissions decision? Finishing my PhD and have tons of research experience and six publications with a couple of webinars under my belt. Have over 20k hours of clinical experience (civilian and military) and 80 hours of shadowing DOs (and was able to get a DO letter of rec). My most significant volunteer activity was two terms of service as an AmeriCorps VISTA, almost 4k hours over the two years.
I have similar stats as you and they emailed me saying I don’t meet interview requirements which is greater than 498 mcat.

• Care
I was wondering if anyone else received an email stating their mcat isn't competitive for an interview now...they said its not an official rejection...as they may still consider....i am thinking its a rejection though :(

• Care
Holy cow! When did they call!? I interviewed 10/26 and am super hopeful to hear back soon! Congrats! And would you mind sharing stats and location?
Received the call in the morning around 10am EST. MCAT 509, GPA 3.7. OOS

• Love
I was wondering if anyone else received an email stating their mcat isn't competitive for an interview now...they said its not an official rejection...as they may still consider....i am thinking its a rejection though :(
i did .... i don't know what it means either

• Care
Guys!!! I’m going to be a Doctor of Osteopathy! I’m still in shock, the dean just called. Somebody hug and then pinch me?! 1st A <3 :biglove::banana::soexcited:

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Guys!!! I’m going to be a Doctor of Osteopathy! I’m still in shock, the dean just called. Somebody hug and then pinch me?! 1st A <3 :biglove::banana::soexcited:

I NEVER DOUBTED YOU FOR A SECOND:soexcited::love::love:

• Love
I have similar stats as you and they emailed me saying I don’t meet interview requirements which is greater than 498 mcat.

Sorry to hear this. I actually ended up getting that same email today as well. Wasn't terribly broken up about it, however. While I don't have an issue attending school in a rural environment, from what I could tell in my research, it was a bit bereft of people of color so attending school there may have been a fairly isolated existence. Best of luck to you for the remainder of this cycle and best of luck to everyone else who has applied.

• Love
  • Care
Sorry to hear this. I actually ended up getting that same email today as well. Wasn't terribly broken up about it, however. While I don't have an issue attending school in a rural environment, from what I could tell in my research, it was a bit bereft of people of color so attending school there may have been a fairly isolated existence. Best of luck to you for the remainder of this cycle and best of luck to everyone else who has applied.
When were you complete?

I read through the thread but I'm conflicted. I don't have a 3.2 sGPA but I'm in a fulltime MS program right now, and I'm probably on track to get a 4.0 this semester and have a pretty great upward trend from undergrad (3.7+ after mid-junior year) and I have a decent MCAT. Idk am I too late to submit a primary ?? I will update my fall grades in December, so I don't want to be screened out right now. I also have significant research, rural med experience, and overall shadowing/volunteering & a DO letter. does anyone have any advice??

• Care
Got accepted today afternoon!! (the first one of the cycle)MCAT 506 /CGPA 3.75/SGPA3.73/ OOS (no ties to Kentucky or Applachian region). For those who haven't received any news yet; keep your head up! Never ever give up!

Secondary Complete: 10/2
Interview: 10/21

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I read through the thread but I'm conflicted. I don't have a 3.2 sGPA but I'm in a fulltime MS program right now, and I'm probably on track to get a 4.0 this semester and have a pretty great upward trend from undergrad (3.7+ after mid-junior year) and I have a decent MCAT. Idk am I too late to submit a primary ?? I will update my fall grades in December, so I don't want to be screened out right now. I also have significant research, rural med experience, and overall shadowing/volunteering & a DO letter. does anyone have any advice??

Hi!
For transparency, this is my first application cycle, I am finishing my 4th year in undergrad, and I got accepted to KYCOM in October.
Honestly, I don't have any unique experiences or anything that makes me super credible so take what I say for what it's worth.

In my opinion, I think you should shoot your shot! Keep in mind that this cycle is pushed back because of COVID, so things are expected to be delayed and such. The app cycle for DO schools also seem to go longer. We all know it's best to submit early to raise your chances but I know plenty of people who submitted later in the cycle and still got accepted to med school, so don't be discouraged and keep your hopes up. I hear doing a post-bacc helps especially if your undergrad GPA isn't super high, and it seems you have that upper trend from undergrad on to your MS program so that'll look good on your part.

If it helps at all to give you a sense of timing, I submitted my I 07/31, verified 8/4, got my II offer 8/10, submitted my II 8/17, interviewed 10/5, and got accepted 10/10.

Hope that helps.
Wish you the best this cycle!

• Care
Just stopping by again to offer any insight into life at KYCOM. Current OMS-II, please reach out if you have any questions!

• Care
Has anybody gotten the “your gpa isn’t high enough for an interview invitation right now but you could get one later in the cycle” email? And if so, have you or do you know of someone who has actually gotten an interview?

My grad gpa is 4.0 and I thought this school was more holistic in app review so I’m kind of frustrated.

Thanks.

• Care
Has anybody gotten the “your gpa isn’t high enough for an interview invitation right now but you could get one later in the cycle” email? And if so, have you or do you know of someone who has actually gotten an interview?

My grad gpa is 4.0 and I thought this school was more holistic in app review so I’m kind of frustrated.

Thanks.
I got that email and I am very frustrated as well. My post-bacc GPA with 28 credit hours is 3.64 and my cGPA barely changes now due to the amount of credits i've taken so I feel like being punished for something I cannot change.

• Care

Thanks.
When did you get that email and when were you complete?

Hi! Does anyone know what the daily schedule is like for KYCOM? I know Campbell in NC is 8am - 12pm lectures and then 1pm - 5pm labs Mon-Fri (aka on campus for at least 9 hours a day 5 days a week for the first 2 years). Does KYCOM have a similar structure?

Thanks.
I got that email a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks.
I'm sorry about this. For me, they said something similar but it was in relation to my MCAT-specifically my CARS.
When you say grad GPA, did you do an SMP? If so, you can call the school and ask to speak to an admissions advisor and advocate for yourself. This is ridiculous, though, 4.0 grad gpa and they sent that email

I got that email a couple of weeks ago.
I got that email and I am very frustrated as well. My post-bacc GPA with 28 credit hours is 3.64 and my cGPA barely changes now due to the amount of credits i've taken so I feel like being punished for something I cannot change.

Thanks.

I got the email back in late August. They said that they do a good job of giving us folk a second chance after the holidays, but we'll see...