2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deciding if I should drop an application here. I like the program however I am OOS and have low stats (Sub 3.0) however my last 60 is at a 3.8 GPA. Whats everyone thinking.
Have you completed the TMDSAS app?

Members don't see this ad.

Deciding if I should drop an application here. I like the program however I am OOS and have low stats (Sub 3.0) however my last 60 is at a 3.8 GPA. Whats everyone thinking.
If you like the school, apply. This school stresses strongly that their interview decisions are heavily weighted toward mission fit. I have lowish stats, I'm not from Texas, and I have an interview scheduled with SHSU.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anybody ask when we'd most likely hear about the admissions decision? I know Texas schools have to wait until Oct 15th to offer acceptances right?

Edit-to anybody that interviewed today
Correct, first acceptances for TMDSAS schools may go out starting October 15th.
UIWSOM, which is a TX DO school using AACOMAS app system, has given out offers already as they try to make an accept, WL, or decline decision by about 1 month after interview.

Since I will not be taking my first MCAT until January does that put me at a severe disadvantage? I already submitted my primary and secondary. I think SHSU is the only TMDSAS school accepting January MCAT score. Will they wait until they receive my MCAT to review my application? Because that wont be until at least February.

Since I will not be taking my first MCAT until January does that put me at a severe disadvantage? I already submitted my primary and secondary. I think SHSU is the only TMDSAS school accepting January MCAT score. Will they wait until they receive my MCAT to review my application? Because that wont be until at least February.
I am afraid that really is too late for TMDSAS schools. You have to remember the match process ends applications a little earlier than other schools. Give serious consideration to applying to other DO schools elsewhere. Some will interview into March at least.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't think most, if not all schools anywhere take the january mcat

Last edited:
With the applicant match Rank List due Feb 19th, I don't see how you could be complete and be possibly interviewed by that date. :(

Interviewed last Friday. Does anyone know if today (Monday) is a good, standard day to send a thank you invitation to the interviewers or wait til Friday (which would be a week's difference from the interview day)?

Interviewed last Friday. Does anyone know if today (Monday) is a good, standard day to send a thank you invitation to the interviewers or wait til Friday (which would be a week's difference from the interview day)?
Why wait? As a rule of thumb for me, I send a thank you either the day of or the day after. I'm still fresh in their mind a day or two after the interview.

not sure if this helps anyone on here but I just cold called the dean and asked about average gpa/mcat screening. They said that they don't screen out any application and review everything that comes across their desk, but their average mcat/gpa is 505/3.62 and they consider being from a rural Texas area/interested in rural medicine a big bonus. I'm not applying til next year but just thought this might help someone!

Reactions: 5 users
not sure if this helps anyone on here but I just cold called the dean and asked about average gpa/mcat screening. They said that they don't screen out any application and review everything that comes across their desk, but their average mcat/gpa is 505/3.62 and they consider being from a rural Texas area/interested in rural medicine a big bonus. I'm not applying til next year but just thought this might help someone!
A true king and/or queen helping us lowly peasants out

Reactions: 1 users
Y’all! I was rejected from here a while back, and they give really solid feedback. If you are rejected pre or post interview, you should meet with them through Zoom to discuss your app! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Y’all! I was rejected from here a while back, and they give really solid feedback. If you are rejected pre or post interview, you should meet with them through Zoom to discuss your app! Good luck to everyone!
Thanks for that info. When did you submit your secondary ? I’m asking because I submitted mine early Aug and still haven’t heard from them yet.

Thanks for that info. When did you submit your secondary ? I’m asking because I submitted mine early Aug and still haven’t heard from them yet.
I submitted 06/12! You have a long ways!

Did anyone who's interviewing soon just get a Fedex email notification from Sam? Any idea what it could be?
Yes! I actually called them before I received it and they said they send blue light glasses to everyone who receives an II. I wouldn't be too excited for them though if they're still on the way, they're a bit clunky. Nice to know that the school is thinking of us though.

Yes! I actually called them before I received it and they said they send blue light glasses to everyone who receives an II. I wouldn't be too excited for them though if they're still on the way, they're a bit clunky. Nice to know that the school is thinking of us though.
Received them yesterday...definetely more function than form haha

Can anyone confirm that the interview is virtual? Got an ii & they asked for my allergies and read that the interview was taking place in Conroe. But they also have a tab for the virtual interview prep; kinda confused. Thanks.

Can anyone confirm that the interview is virtual? Got an ii & they asked for my allergies and read that the interview was taking place in Conroe. But they also have a tab for the virtual interview prep; kinda confused. Thanks.
It's for sure virtual. Just got my interviewer's names today happening virtually they said on Zoom.

I interviewed here last Friday and it's 100% virtual.

II received just now. IS, URM, complete 6/25! The only date available to me was mid-November.

II received! Complete 8/12, good luck to everyone interviewing!

For those who interviewed last week, can you share how your experience was? Did the 2 on 1 interview feel the same as a 1 on 1?

For those who interviewed last week, can you share how your experience was? Did the 2 on 1 interview feel the same as a 1 on 1?
Yeah I'd say so. The questions were very straight forward and my 4 interviewers were very chill and cool with more of a conversation based interview. The 2 on 1 is a little weird when it comes to looking at 2 different faces in different locations on the computer lol but it was felt very natural. Prepare for the basic questions like "Tell me about yourself" etc

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed?

How would i prep differently compared to an open interview? Rn I'm just looking at common questions, reviewing my apps, and researching about the school.
The way you're preparing would be the way to prepare in my opinion. Closed file just means the 4.0/520+ students aren't awarded a halo effect that open file interviews would provide, which usually puts applicants with lesser stats at a disadvantage. They know nothing about you; it's an even playing field. So regardless if you think you have any deficiencies in your application, clearly they think you're qualified enough to get an II so all you gotta do is best convey who you are and why you'd be an asset at their school on a personal level. Good luck!

Last edited:
just canceled my interview, hope it goes to one of you guys still waiting!

Anyone know if SHSU-COM is only accepting 75 students for this class, similar to the inaugural class?

Anyone know if SHSU-COM is only accepting 75 students for this class, similar to the inaugural class?
During my interview, I believe they said they are increasing the size.
112 this year
150 next and thereafter

Reactions: 5 users
How did the group activity work?

Any current med students on here willing to share their experience at SHSU?

For those of you who have already interviewed, when did SHSU send y'all zoom links? I am interviewing tomorrow and haven't received any information on how to attend the Admissions welcome, lunch and learnt etc.

For those of you who have already interviewed, when did SHSU send y'all zoom links? I am interviewing tomorrow and haven't received any information on how to attend the Admissions welcome, lunch and learnt etc.

They didn't send me an email until Thursday afternoon. The portal then updated with some interview links and a schedule.

Anyone who has interviewed, who you consider the interviewers more on the chill and conversational side or were they more strict and formal? I'm a lil anxious about this.

Anyone who has interviewed, who you consider the interviewers more on the chill and conversational side or were they more strict and formal? I'm a lil anxious about this.
My first two were super chill and laughed with me and made it more conversational. Second two seemed a bit more formal (just reading the questions off their screen) until I got them to crack a smile and then it was more comfortable; they were still super nice and open though, just not immediately explicitly receptive like the first set of interviewers were off the bat. Just be yourself and good luck :)

Mine were both formal. They said at the beginning of my interview that they'll be asking questions without follow up questions, so I should make sure to answer it fully.

post interview....still have not been able to talk to a student. Seems like a good program. 1,008 II slots, 112 seats available. 1 current scholarship available. No free clinics currently established or planned. working on gym memberships with businesses in the area. 3rd and 4th year will take place in hospitals in Beaumont, Conroe, Fort Bend, & Nacogdoches regions. The interview is 2 on 1. formal but relaxed.

Post interview.... I felt I did alright. Did anyone else feel nervous too or was it just me? Nothing amazing but nothing terrible too. Someone please tell me otherwise,, but i felt it was hard to connect with the interviewers because of the formal structure. They ask you a question, you answer, and then move on to the next question. First interview i was a lil nervous and I felt like I just rambled all over the place. But I felt less anxious during the second interview and was more confident. We will see what happens.

post interview....still have not been able to talk to a student. Seems like a good program. 1,008 II slots, 112 seats available. 1 current scholarship available. No free clinics currently established or planned. working on gym memberships with businesses in the area. 3rd and 4th year will take place in hospitals in Beaumont, Conroe, Fort Bend, & Nacogdoches regions. The interview is 2 on 1. formal but relaxed.
They're interviewing a thousand students?

Maybe that's applicants cuz that's does seem like alot. Its what i wrote in my notes. maybe i heard wrong, but they said it twice.

Maybe that's applicants cuz that's does seem like alot. Its what i wrote in my notes. maybe i heard wrong, but they said it twice.
They are interviewing 1008, you didn't hear wrong

Also remember that they most likely accept more people as well (for sure double or more) even though they only seat 112 people. Their tuition costs + being a newer school can cause accepted people to choose elsewhere so they make sure to interview enough people to compensate for those losses.

Reactions: 4 users
current student here. feel free to ask me questions, or dm if you'd like!

current student here. feel free to ask me questions, or dm if you'd like!
Do you still have access to the facilities on the main campus? I really want a place to workout and stuff but the main campus is 30 mins away...