2020-2021 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II ! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II as well! complete 6/30.

in a dilemma though.. not sure if i should attend since i’ve already received an acceptance to a more established and cheaper DO school. any thoughts/advice?

First off, congratulations on the acceptance and your favorable dilemma. I would suggest considering why you might pick an expensive new school over an established and cheaper school. Do you see yourself attending SHSU over your accepted institution? It may benefit you to interview simply to hear more about the institution - but as a TMDSAS school, you would likely not hear back for a while. Good luck!

II as well! complete 6/30.

in a dilemma though.. not sure if i should attend since i’ve already received an acceptance to a more established and cheaper DO school. any thoughts/advice?

Post in the "Help me decide" section of the DO forums you'll get a lot of input there.

II this morning. IS, complete 6/25.

If your other acceptance is more established, cheaper, and has objective metrics (COMLEX pass rates and residency match/placement) that seem solid, why would you sacrifice that to attend a school that hasn't graduated a class?

Members don't see this ad :)
II received! Was complete the end of june

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone who's interviewing soon just get a Fedex email notification from Sam? Any idea what it could be?

For those of you that are getting invites (congrats!!), when are your interviews scheduled for? Did you have any say in choosing the date?

For those of you that are getting invites (congrats!!), when are your interviews scheduled for? Did you have any say in choosing the date?

Late October. I didn’t check to see if there were other dates but it looked like you got to choose. You are also able to pick am vs pm

Oh okay! Good luck! :) Do you guys know if they already interviewed
interviewing Friday! And I saw one option in September and two in October.

Oh, i see, good luck! Do you know if they're conducting the very first interview(s) this Friday or already had some this month?

I didn't check my email until a few hours after receiving the email and the earliest date I could choose was October 23rd

Oh okay! Good luck! :) Do you guys know if they already interviewed

Oh, i see, good luck! Do you know if they're conducting the very first interview(s) this Friday or already had some this month?
yes, this friday is the first round of interviews

Did anyone who's interviewing soon just get a Fedex email notification from Sam? Any idea what it could be?

It was actually a pair of blue light blocking glasses for their virtual tour and a good luck card.

QUOTE="Hawkeye2018, post: 22162914, member: 1036537"]
Interesting, I'm interviewing there on Friday and did not receive anything!
[/QUOTE]

Same day! See you there

Do we choose an interview time or is one given to us following the pre- interview registration?

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting, I'm interviewing there on Friday and did not receive anything!
Yeah! I am interviewing on Friday as well and mine didn't come in until today! I was so confused when I saw it because I hadn't checked the thread yet.
Side note, has anyone heard anything about the group interview portion? I'm excited to see what a virtual group interview looks like!

Hey guys! First year student here. Let me know if you all have any questions, and I can try to answer them.

Hey guys! First year student here. Let me know if you all have any questions, and I can try to answer them.

Would you mind sharing about your experience? I know it's a new school so I'm curious what you like/don't like so far. Do you feel like the faculty is supportive and the curriculum is setting you up for success? Is the environment pretty collaborative? Thank you so much!

If you go to the portal, and submit the pre interview agreement in the "web interview" tab, you can see the interviewer name and what time. For me its two pairs of interviewers (4 total) 30 min apart.

But otherwise, no direct communication from the school itself.

If you go to the portal, and submit the pre interview agreement in the "web interview" tab, you can see the interviewer name and what time. For me its two pairs of interviewers (4 total) 30 min apart.

But otherwise, no direct communication from the school itself.
Hmm - that’s odd. I don’t see the “web interview” tab. I did fill out the pre-interview registration when I got the invite, and I know I signed up for AM. I’ve got the general interview day schedule under the interview agenda tab, but that’s real basic.

Hmm - that’s odd. I don’t see the “web interview” tab. I did fill out the pre-interview registration when I got the invite, and I know I signed up for AM. I’ve got the general interview day schedule under the interview agenda tab, but that’s real basic.
Same! I do not see a Web Interview tab either.

Would you mind sharing about your experience? I know it's a new school so I'm curious what you like/don't like so far. Do you feel like the faculty is supportive and the curriculum is setting you up for success? Is the environment pretty collaborative? Thank you so much!

Faculty at the school has been incredibly supportive. We're a brand new school so there are obviously going to be some challenges and changes to the curriculum as we progress throughout the year. However, we've had easy access to faculty and they've been invested in our success; they've been incredibly open to our suggestions and concerns as to what is and isn't working. We have small group discussions where we work through problems as a group, and the course director came in and basically taught us for an hour outside of class time. We also get free Kaplan access to help us prepare for boards.

We're definitely collaborative. Because we're a brand new class, we didn't have upperclassmen to provide us with resources so we've been sharing resources with each other. We've made Anki decks, quizlets, etc. We're also grouped into 4 learning communities, which has really helped me with the transition to medical school. We all study/hang out together.

Reactions: 3 users
Same, thats all I see as well
I think they're currently updating the portals because I originally didn't have that tab that Le Chiffre was talking about and then checked again with a refresh and it was there. Additionally, my interviewers names went from 2 to 3 to 4 people for my assigned time after the terms of conditions was signed.

I think they're currently updating the portals because I originally didn't have that tab that Le Chiffre was talking about and then checked again with a refresh and it was there. Additionally, my interviewers names went from 2 to 3 to 4 people for my assigned time after the terms of conditions was signed.

I thought it was two 30 minutes interviews? Or is it different this year

Ok - after obsessively refreshing every minute and a half for the past 10 minutes, I have it now - lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Have new interview times opened up? Yesterday I could only find them in November onward.

Deciding if I should drop an application here. I like the program however I am OOS and have low stats (Sub 3.0) however my last 60 is at a 3.8 GPA. Whats everyone thinking.