2021-2022 Sam Houston State University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II today! Complete mid July. LM 70 and IS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So, anyone else scheduled to interview the 27th of August?
I'm a little nervous for my first virtual interview.

So, anyone else scheduled to interview the 27th of August?
I'm a little nervous for my first virtual interview.
I’m thinking of interviewing early September but I may schedule to your date!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just received an II! IS ORM 513 3.51
super stoked to have gotten this opportunity. for those of yall that already interviewed, how did it go and what was it like?

Can anyone tell us how the interviews went?

So a friend of mine got a II last night! Just fyi for those of you wanting to know when and if more II's had gone out this week.

II Just now 9:00 pm CST complete 7/1

Last edited:
Anyone else get the virtual student panel invitation yesterday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I will be applying next year to this school. For those who have received interviews, can you guys please kindly share what your GPA/MCAT looked like? I am worried about my stats. cGPA is around 3.5 and sCPA is around 3.2, have yet to take the MCAT.

Any tips?

II today! Completed 7/16 with a 512 MCAT and 3.8 gpa

Hello all,

I will be applying next year to this school. For those who have received interviews, can you guys please kindly share what your GPA/MCAT looked like? I am worried about my stats. cGPA is around 3.5 and sCPA is around 3.2, have yet to take the MCAT.

Any tips?
SHSU is a little more forgiving with regards to GPA and MCAT.

Hello, this is a bit of a random question but I was wondering if I apply to medical school this year to start in 2022, but am going to start an MPH this year in August 2021 which technically is a 2 year program and would end in 2023, would it look bad to medical schools? I would of course accept an offer if I was given an acceptance to medical school and then go on to complete the MPH later. I'm just not sure how it would look to medical schools if I did that. I am pretty sure I have to include it on my TMDSAS application so I can't just leave it out and will have to address it.

Hello, this is a bit of a random question but I was wondering if I apply to medical school this year to start in 2022, but am going to start an MPH this year in August 2021 which technically is a 2 year program and would end in 2023, would it look bad to medical schools? I would of course accept an offer if I was given an acceptance to medical school and then go on to complete the MPH later. I'm just not sure how it would look to medical schools if I did that. I am pretty sure I have to include it on my TMDSAS application so I can't just leave it out and will have to address it.
I am no expert or adviser on these kinds of matters but I would expect that med schools would want you to finish your in-progress graduate degree before matriculating.

I am no expert or adviser on these kinds of matters but I would expect that med schools would want you to finish your in-progress graduate degree before matriculating.
I would guess that @medstudent112200 is doing the MPH in part to look good to med schools. If med school is your goal, withdraw from the second year of your MPH.

I would guess that @medstudent112200 is doing the MPH in part to look good to med schools. If med school is your goal, withdraw from the second year of your MPH.
Yeah so let's say I complete one year of an MPH degree (fall 2021 and spring 2022) but then I get an acceptance to medical school, I would start medical school in 2022 and then complete the MPH later (withdraw from the program). So does that look bad to medical schools? Would that negatively affect me in any way?

Yeah so let's say I complete one year of an MPH degree (fall 2021 and spring 2022) but then I get an acceptance to medical school, I would start medical school in 2022 and then complete the MPH later (withdraw from the program). So does that look bad to medical schools? Would that negatively affect me in any way?
Life is what happens while you are making plans. Your plans can change.

My interview for SHSU is coming up pretty soon. Are there any unique details about the school that aren't clearly stated in the website that I can use to strengthen my interview responses?

I am interviewing August 27th. Does anyone know how the interviews are like? Are they standard or MMI? And how many people will be interviewing us?

I had a closed file traditional interview. I interviewed with two faculty members at once.
Can you confirm it was one 30 minute round with two faculty members? Last year I thought it was two rounds of 30 minutes each.
Thanks for the info. in advance!

Does anyone know what the group activity is like? will they be observing us there as well?

Hey all, if anyone could help me out with this question I would greatly appreciate it. In their secondary SHSU states

Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your TMDSAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or if you have been charged, convicted of, plead guilty, or entered a plea of no contest to a felony or misdemeanor crime.)

This only includes new misdemeanors that have only existed since submitting TMDSAS, correct? Or do I need to report any misdemeanor that has already been disclosed on my primary application a second time? Word comprehension is hard when your brain feels like mush after writing so many secondaries!

Hey all, if anyone could help me out with this question I would greatly appreciate it. In their secondary SHSU states

Indicate any changes or additions that have occurred since submitting your TMDSAS application. (Including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, research, military service, academic warnings, conduct violations, and/or if you have been charged, convicted of, plead guilty, or entered a plea of no contest to a felony or misdemeanor crime.)

This only includes new misdemeanors that have only existed since submitting TMDSAS, correct? Or do I need to report any misdemeanor that has already been disclosed on my primary application a second time? Word comprehension is hard when your brain feels like mush after writing so many secondaries!
Key phrase since submitting 🙂

Does anyone know what the group activity is like? will they be observing us there as well?
Not sure if I can disclose info about the group activity BUT I think it’s safe to assume any camera time is fair game for review or “evaluation”

SHSU is a little more forgiving with regards to GPA and MCAT.
thank you so much flightjordan, you are the only one who answered my question? Did you get accepted at SHSU-COM? If so, please let me know.

Hello all,

Any tips?
These are my stats. I haven’t heard anything this cycle yet but when I do I can let you know if you send me a reminder message

did anyone send thank you emails to their interviewers? I wasn't able to find my interviewers contact info for the university's website so how should I go about thanking them?

thank you so much flightjordan, you are the only one who answered my question? Did you get accepted at SHSU-COM? If so, please let me know.
No worries. No I have not been accepted.

This is what the school has directly told me.

did anyone send thank you emails to their interviewers? I wasn't able to find my interviewers contact info for the university's website so how should I go about thanking them?
I didn't email my interviewers. Although I enjoyed my session with them. Maybe calling the admissions office and asking for their emails?

Is the interview open or closed file? How stressful is the group activity?

Man as a reapplicant I've done well not thinking too hard this cycle but now prematch is around the corner aaaanddd......

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users