2020-2021 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe may 15th
Someone said that date earlier in the thread and I think that’s another AAMC due date for something but don’t quote on me on it 😁
I'm really hoping May 15th we start seeing movement. However, their Commit to Enroll date is Jun 21 (according to MSAR) so I'm sure that'll be another big date as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a concrete date on when we'll see movement based on past threads? Also, was it confirmed that abosolutely none of us from January - March received an A? This seems so weird. Also this LOI misinformation is so annoying. I wish they had a concrete answer. When I asked back in March, it was a resounding yes to LOI with no updates. Now it seems to be getting wishy washy again.
So what I've noticed is that applicants who applied in mid-Jan through March had a small amount of As. No reported As from the bunch of decisions on 4/30 (but I'm sure we're just looking at a small sample size) According to their accepted students Facebook page, they only have 164 members (obviously not everyone joins so I'm sure this number is higher as well) If I had to guess, I bet Penn just wanted everyone to have a decision by that 4/30 date so they waitlisted the majority to take stock of their class size. I know some other schools follow this pattern as well: interview until March, don't accept anyone from Feb-March so everyone has been interviewed before taking anyone off the waitlist.

Long-winded way to say I don't know anything lol :)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm really hoping May 15th we start seeing movement. However, their Commit to Enroll date is Jun 21 (according to MSAR) so I'm sure that'll be another big date as well.
Yikes my other school's CTE deadline is June 15th and Penn State is ruthless about telling us anything so I may have to withdraw if nothing by then. Y'all this is going to be a wild ride.

So what I've noticed is that applicants who applied in mid-Jan through March had a small amount of As. No reported As from the bunch of decisions on 4/30 (but I'm sure we're just looking at a small sample size) According to their accepted students Facebook page, they only have 164 members (obviously not everyone joins so I'm sure this number is higher as well) If I had to guess, I bet Penn just wanted everyone to have a decision by that 4/30 date so they waitlisted the majority to take stock of their class size. I know some other schools follow this pattern as well: interview until March, don't accept anyone from Feb-March so everyone has been interviewed before taking anyone off the waitlist.

Long-winded way to say I don't know anything lol :)
Did you by chance try searching the FB group today? I did, and can't find it on a public search anymore which is super weird. All other class FB groups pop up, though. If you can still search it, do you mind sharing how many new members joined in the last week? I know that's a stat I always used to follow.

To your other point, we're certainly a small group but to see that legit everyone here on SDN was waitlisted is kind of shocking. I agree with your theory but why make people wait until April 30th if their mind was already decided haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes my other school's CTE deadline is June 15th and Penn State is ruthless about telling us anything so I may have to withdraw if nothing by then. Y'all this is going to be a wild ride.

Did you by chance try searching the FB group today? I did, and can't find it on a public search anymore which is super weird. All other class FB groups pop up, though. If you can still search it, do you mind sharing how many new members joined in the last week? I know that's a stat I always used to follow.

To your other point, we're certainly a small group but to see that legit everyone here on SDN was waitlisted is kind of shocking. I agree with your theory but why make people wait until April 30th if their mind was already decided haha
Ya I'm hoping it will be sooner than Jun 21!

Yes - here is the Facebook link. Looks like there were only 3 new members in the last week. Facebook 小组

• Love
Kind of annoying that I’m torn between wanting to send a LOI to help get me off the waitlist but I also don’t want them to get mad at me for sending one lmao
I just responded to their post II hold email asking if they accept letters of intent.

Kind of annoying that I’m torn between wanting to send a LOI to help get me off the waitlist but I also don’t want them to get mad at me for sending one lmao

I just responded to their post II hold email asking if they accept letters of intent.
I just sent one so I'll post their response. Also cc'd Dean Davis bc at this point idgaf

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I called this morning AGAIN just to make sure and another person picked up (not the same guy from yesterday) and she also said that they accept LOIs and to address it to Dean Davis. I started off with asking if it was alright to send one and how to send it (email it to them and attach it as a pdf). So I think it's alright to send? I wish they sent an email explaining this :/ can anyone else confirm lmao

Everyone it is okay, just send an LOI at this point who cares, worst they can do is say we can’t accept it. Ask for forgiveness not permission. It’s late in the cycle and we’re all frustrated so lay out all your cards. Gotta play the game back, there’s no shame

• Haha
Everyone it is okay, just send an LOI at this point who cares, worst they can do is say we can’t accept it. Ask for forgiveness not permission. It’s late in the cycle and we’re all frustrated so lay out all your cards. Gotta play the game back, there’s no shame
Hahaha finally someone on this thread who's as crazy as I am

I responded to his email and the response I got was yes they do accept letters of intent.
Cool. Here's what they said in response to my LOI:

"Thank you for taking time to send a letter expressing continued interest in our College of Medicine. Your communication has been placed in your file for review as the Admissions Committee continues their work to shape the entering class. We extend best wishes with your applications to medical schools."

Send them in people!

"Thank you for taking time to send a letter expressing continued interest in our College of Medicine. Your communication has been placed in your file for review as the Admissions Committee continues their work to shape the entering class. We extend best wishes with your applications to medical schools."

Send them in people!
did you add any updates in your LOI? I read earlier on here that they did not want any updates

did you add any updates in your LOI? I read earlier on here that they did not want any updates
No updates at all. As everyone here has said, strictly LOI's with no updates. I think it's just their generic response

Members don't see this ad :)

Send them in people!
Also submitted LOI :)
Hopefully we hear back soon!

• Care
Wow after looking at the 2019-2020 thread, I'm cautiously optimistic. There were at least 6-7 SDN people who got off the waitlist (May 14th, 2020-June 10th 2020)... fingers crossed for everyone, but especially those of you with 0 other offers.

I also took a deep dive into the two previous forum threads, and unfortunately there were only 1-2 SDN reported people coming off of the waitlist.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Wow after looking at the 2019-2020 thread, I'm cautiously optimistic. There were at least 6-7 SDN people who got off the waitlist (May 14th, 2020-June 10th 2020)... fingers crossed for everyone, but especially those of you with 0 other offers.

I also took a deep dive into the two previous forum threads, and unfortunately there were only 1-2 SDN reported people coming off of the waitlist.

I would also like to echo sentiments that not everyone posts on SDN and the MSAR data that shows WL movement. Although the actual numbers may be off, the fact that it says the incoming class has a fair amount of WL people in it makes me feel better
we got this yall :')

• Care
While there is 160 ppl in the Facebook page, only 80ish are in the class groupme. Hopefully, that means people will choose other schools and there will be waitlist movement :)

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
So if we are waitlisted at Penn and accepted to another school, where we selected plan to enroll, how should we go about withdrawing before the June 15 deadline from Penn? Is it just a formal email sent to the school? I don't see anything on the portal.

So if we are waitlisted at Penn and accepted to another school, where we selected plan to enroll, how should we go about withdrawing before the June 15 deadline from Penn? Is it just a formal email sent to the school? I don't see anything on the portal.
I believe you just email Penn. Good luck with your school!!

• Care
Withdrew my app today! best of luck everyone

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Received the call about an hour ago, I JUST GOT THE A! My first A of the cycle, so I am SO excited! :) Wishing everyone the best of luck with their own cycles!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 16 users
Received the call about an hour ago, I JUST GOT THE A! My first A of the cycle, so I am SO excited! :) Wishing everyone the best of luck with their own cycles!
HOLY MOLY!!!! CONGRATS!!!! Do you mind me asking when you interviewed/when you were put on the WL?

Congrats, that's amazing!! Trying to manifest that A too because I'm in the same boat as you were pre-call 🥴🙏

• Love
that is so amazing. literally just got secondhand happiness for you!!!

• Love
OMG that is amazing!! So happy for you <3

Edit: just realized movement's starting a week earlier this year! manifesting for all of us

• Love
Congrats, that's amazing!! Trying to manifest that A too because I'm in the same boat as you were pre-call 🥴🙏
Yesss, keeping all my fellow interviewees in my thoughts!
that is so amazing. literally just got secondhand happiness for you!!!
Awww, thank you. You are too kind! :)
OMG that is amazing!! So happy for you <3

Edit: just realized movement's starting a week earlier this year! manifesting for all of us
Thank you!!!!:))))

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I didn’t even realize they called!!

• Care
I can't even imagine your happiness! <3 congratulations :)

• Care
Congratulations!!

• Care
Just got accepted! This is may first A off of 8 WL so I'm relieved beyond belief!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Chances they call on weekends??🤞🏼🥴
I lowkey think probably not?
But then again...
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Weird question but did anyone else’s responses from the admissions office state you will be notified via email once a final decision is made? Just curious since they are calling if that is their hint that I’d be at the end of the waitlist ??

Weird question but did anyone else’s responses from the admissions office state you will be notified via email once a final decision is made? Just curious since they are calling if that is their hint that I’d be at the end of the waitlist ??

I'm not sure if you're referring to the initial committee hold response, but when I sent my LOI, I got this response: "Thank you for your email. Your LOI has been attached to your hopeful & shared with Dr. Davis. We appreciate your interest in Penn State College of Medicine. We extend best wishes with your applications to medical schools." I wouldn't worry too much about wording - though I understand your stress! I think saying "via email" is the standard response for anything, so it makes sense they would use that

I'm not sure if you're referring to the initial committee hold response, but when I sent my LOI, I got this response: "Thank you for your email. Your LOI has been attached to your hopeful & shared with Dr. Davis. We appreciate your interest in Penn State College of Medicine. We extend best wishes with your applications to medical schools." I wouldn't worry too much about wording - though I understand your stress! I think saying "via email" is the standard response for anything, so it makes sense they would use that
Gotcha. Thank you for your response! Their response to my LOI was “Thank you for your email. Your LOI has been attached to your application. We appreciate your interest in Penn State College of Medicine. Once a final decision has been made you will be notified via email. We extend best wishes with your applications to medical schools.” Looks like everyone got a little different wording.

Gotcha. Thank you for your response! Their response to my LOI was “Thank you for your email. Your LOI has been attached to your application. We appreciate your interest in Penn State College of Medicine. Once a final decision has been made you will be notified via email. We extend best wishes with your applications to medical schools.” Looks like everyone got a little different wording.
Yeah I noticed that too with past replies! Given by the various emails (and even the typo in mine LMAO), I wouldn't take it to heart!

• Care
Same wording for me

Wowza I am so nervous every time I get a phone call! Looks like the FB group has 170 members so their class is full but I'm sure there will be more movement.