2020-2021 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hold, interviewed 3/1 I think. What does that even mean? So not even a waitlist? I might as well have considered myself on hold already
Hold = waitlist at Penn. It's just another name.

Members don't see this ad.

Hold = waitlist at Penn. It's just another name.
Oh cool thanks for clarifying:) makes more sense lol

edit: easy to deduce then that late interviews were potentially interviewing for WL given the trend and never saying anything about open spots

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hold - interviewed 3/22

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Wow - looks they accepted a very small number of 2021 interviewees. I'm sure there is going to be a bunch of movement in the next few weeks. We are still in this!! :)

Edit: I'm just really hoping we find out before May 15th. I know a lot of schools, including the one I would go to if Penn doesn't work out, has deposit deadlines then.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Hold- 2/15...... if nobody got accepted today they could have told this to us months ago 🙄

Reactions: 3 users
So does penn state give us our waitlist number? Knowing if I’m #2 vs #200 would be great to know

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't believe they do since the hold email states they wouldn't want us to contact their offices for status updates
Yeah but some schools just straight up tell you what you’re waitlist # is so you can plan, I was wondering if penn state does that or do they prefer to keep us in a constant state of anxiety all summer ? 🤔

Yeah but some schools just straight up tell you what you’re waitlist # is so you can plan, I was wondering if penn state does that or do they prefer to keep us in a constant state of anxiety all summer ? 🤔
I’m voting that they prefer the second option: constant state of anxiety!
Looking through last years posts, students came off the waitlist on May 15th or 17th

Wow - looks they accepted a very small number of 2021 interviewees. I'm sure there is going to be a bunch of movement in the next few weeks. We are still in this!! :)

Edit: I'm just really hoping we find out before May 15th. I know a lot of schools, including the one I would go to if Penn doesn't work out, has deposit deadlines then.

Ty for this optimism, much needed rn :')

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Interesting that not a single SDN person reported an A. Sounds a bit odd, especially given our interview dates reported were January through March. Hoping that there's lots of movement!

Reactions: 5 users
do we know how many people are on the waitlist and approx. how many people they take? anything special about this cycle?

I know this was posted about throughout the thread, but now that it’s May 1st does anyone know if they’ll start being receptive of LOI?

Does anyone know if they do post-interview Rs? I feel like the only things I've seen on SDN are As and holds.

Does anyone know if they do post-interview Rs? I feel like the only things I've seen on SDN are As and holds.
I wonder if that's just bias though? Like not posting you received an R in the thread because at that point it doesn't serve you to do so

I found this online, and it helped my anxiety a bit! Maybe it'll help y'all too. :)
It looks like Penn will take 25 - 30 people off the waitlist and definitely has 70 waitlist spots. (page 12)

Attachments

• MSAR Waitlist Procedures_1_4.20.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 128
I found this online, and it helped my anxiety a bit! Maybe it'll help y'all too. :)
It looks like Penn will take 25 - 30 people off the waitlist and definitely has 70 waitlist spots. (page 12)
Not trying to be a pessimist, but I looked into the past forums, and it looks like Penn State puts everyone on hold that they don't admit after the interview. Also, students at PSU have said that MSAR is incorrect with respect to the number of reported waitlist spots. This is not to say that they do not admit people put on hold, I just think there are a lot more people on hold than what MSAR reports. FYI this is just a deduction from what I've read on these forums, nothing concrete from PSU. Sorry if this increases anxiety and I hope that there is significant waitlist movement this cycle!

Not trying to be a pessimist, but I looked into the past forums, and it looks like Penn State puts everyone on hold that they don't admit after the interview. Also, students at PSU have said that MSAR is incorrect with respect to the number of reported waitlist spots. This is not to say that they do not admit people put on hold, I just think there are a lot more people on hold than what MSAR reports. FYI this is just a deduction from what I've read on these forums, nothing concrete from PSU. Sorry if this increases anxiety and I hope that there is significant waitlist movement this cycle!
Lemme see the receipts please. I want to know whether or not I should give up hope and r34 myself

I know this was posted about throughout the thread, but now that it’s May 1st does anyone know if they’ll start being receptive of LOI?
I plan on emailing mine tomorrow morning since it's the first Monday in May. I'm just basing that off last year's thread where I saw some guy say he emailed a letter in early May.

I plan on emailing mine tomorrow morning since it's the first Monday in May. I'm just basing that off last year's thread where I saw some guy say he emailed a letter in early May.
They actually don’t accept any letters of intent if they’ve made a decision on your application - including being put on hold.

They actually don’t accept any letters of intent if they’ve made a decision on your application - including being put on hold.
Hmm are you sure? Could you provide where you got this information?
I will probably end up calling bc I am also planning on sending LOI

Hmm are you sure? Could you provide where you got this information?
I will probably end up calling bc I am also planning on sending LOI

So I emailed a few weeks ago after I got my hold decision and asked if LOIs can be accepted later in the cycle (hinting at post April 30), and the answer was a resounding no :/

So I emailed a few weeks ago after I got my hold decision and asked if LOIs can be accepted later in the cycle (hinting at post April 30), and the answer was a resounding no
Really??

I’m going to give them a call tomorrow and let y’all know
I just emailed someone 5 days ago and asked if I could (but I did not mention when I’d turn it in) and they said yes

All a bit confusing

Reactions: 6 users
Really??

I’m going to give them a call tomorrow and let y’all know
I just emailed someone 5 days ago and asked if I could (but I did not mention when I’d turn it in) and they said yes

All a bit confusing
Please let us know if you find anything out :)
I’ve heard that they don’t accept them but of course I could be totally wrong

Hey everyone, quick update.

I emailed my letter this morning and they responded back with a short email saying thanks for the letter and we appreciate your interest.

I emailed my letter this morning and they responded back with a short email saying thanks for the letter and we appreciate your interest.
Interesting! Have you received an initial decision after your interview? (Like a committee hold?)

I think I might call tbh and ask
I also feel like that might give me a less harsh response than an email to my sensitive butt

I wonder if schools manage larger waitlists this year, and we’ll see more waitlist movement because applications increased this year with the MCAT being optional at many schools. Further, I applied to more schools because I didn’t have to budget for in-person interviews. Maybe other students did the same and are holding more waitlist positions, which may cause more waitlist movement. Hopeful thoughts 🤓

Last edited:
  • Care
I received my committee hold notification on 4/2 and interviewed 2/12. I called the office of admissions today to ask if they would accept a letter of intent at this point, and I was told that as long as the letter does not include any updates (since they stated they do not accept updates), they will consider a letter of intent. I hope this info helps anyone who was asking!

Reactions: 8 users
I received my committee hold notification on 4/2 and interviewed 2/12. I called the office of admissions today to ask if they would accept a letter of intent at this point, and I was told that as long as the letter does not include any updates (since they stated they do not accept updates), they will consider a letter of intent. I hope this info helps anyone who was asking!
I sent a LOI with no updates about two weeks ago, and then received a slightly cold response saying they didn't accept any Letters of Intent at this point. Seems like everyone's response varies.

• Hmm
Good to know - apologies for the misinformation! We had this discussion a little earlier on this forum and they had said something different.

I called as well and they gave me the same information! :)

I called this afternoon and said that they accept LOIs (and the guy on the phone even said they encouraged it??) but I'm gonna double-check tomorrow morning with hopefully another person. The mixed responses are making me confused

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have a concrete date on when we'll see movement based on past threads? Also, was it confirmed that abosolutely none of us from January - March received an A? This seems so weird. Also this LOI misinformation is so annoying. I wish they had a concrete answer. When I asked back in March, it was a resounding yes to LOI with no updates. Now it seems to be getting wishy washy again.

• Care
Kind of annoying that I’m torn between wanting to send a LOI to help get me off the waitlist but I also don’t want them to get mad at me for sending one lmao

• Haha
All this speculation but now realizing my “letter of interest” at another school had letter of intent wording in it...

• Care
Does anyone have a concrete date on when we'll see movement based on past threads? Also, was it confirmed that abosolutely none of us from January - March received an A? This seems so weird. Also this LOI misinformation is so annoying. I wish they had a concrete answer. When I asked back in March, it was a resounding yes to LOI with no updates. Now it seems to be getting wishy washy again.
I believe may 15th
Someone said that date earlier in the thread and I think that’s another AAMC due date for something but don’t quote on me on it 😁