2020-2021 Loyola (Stritch)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’ve been a sarcastic snark in the ER all day during my shift and thinking about all the horrible reasons they may get to answer one. Had my coworker in tears from laughter between answers such as for the money! I was born to do this! And push pills!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had to fish the secondary from my spam folder oops. Maybe the same thing happened to other that haven't heard back yet lol

Question 8 says to list what we've been doing since graduation if its been over two years since we took classes...but there doesn't seem to be any space to talk about what we've been doing if we just graduated and started our gap year? So we do just write nothing in that case about it?

Also, anyone else's paragraphs get clumped together automatically for each essay when looking at "print application"?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else who hasn't received a secondary here yet? I'm OOS waiting for mine still

"Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem"

Do you guys think talking about working as a private tutor to make money to support my family count as academic?

Hopefully mine comes soon! I know they're getting sent out in batches so I'm just waiting it out
Im in the same situation (altho a MN resident). Its weird though because I submitted the first day and verified early June. Checked my spam box and nothing so not sure what that means...we shall wait in agony together!

"Describe a non-academic personal/professional challenge or conflict that you have experienced. Explain what skills, resources and/or strategies you employed to resolve the problem"

Do you guys think talking about working as a private tutor to make money to support my family count as academic?
I think that could work, as long as you had some specific challenge resulting from that job (difficulty balancing schoolwork with tutoring, conflicts that arose during tutoring sessions, etc.)

anyone else find the Loyola website super hard to navigate? I'm trying to find more information about opportunities for students in the SSOM, but I can barely even find the requirements for graduation, let alone additional programs or tracks.

Secondary received just now! OOS. Realllllllly don't want to write 4 new essays but here we are.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In-state, still waiting on secondary. Submitted May 29 and verified June 10.

Edit: got the secondary email 60 seconds after posting this omg

+1 OOS earlier today. Cheers to writing 4 new essays #jesuit

Does the question "If you have not been enrolled in coursework for over two years, please let us know what you have been doing since your coursework ended" refer to two years till matriculation or now? I have taken one gap year so far, and it seems like I can't write about it according to the wording in this question. Any one else have similar issues?
I would think that they'd want you to write about what you've been up to if it'll be two years since graduation until your matriculation. It seems to be worded in a way that they aren't asking for an explanation if you are currently in your first gap year, so I'd write something if you're going into your second gap. But again that's just my interpretation of the question

Definitely, they mean like taking the MCAT or struggling in a class haha. That is certainly a professional/personal challenge.

what are "concrete social justice experiences?"
Anything in your life that has made you see or think about what people deserve (justice due to inherent dignity) versus what they actually get in our society. Could be volunteering, an inspiring role model, etc.

Please refer to my AMCAS application is not an appropriate response...
Can I write go read my personal statement as a response instead?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone finding the "print application" (prior to submission) format to be odd? None of my paragraphs are spaced properly - my entire essay turns into one massive paragraph.

Anyone finding the "print application" (prior to submission) format to be odd? None of my paragraphs are spaced properly - my entire essay turns into one massive paragraph.
I had this issue before submitting. Nothing I tried fixed that even if I pasted from plain text. I just chalked it up to the dinosaur-era platform they use for secondaries

For the optional "Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know", do you think it would be bad not to say anything? I don't have any updates to my application but don't want to leave it blank!

For the optional "Please indicate additional grades earned, amendments to your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of experiences, and anything else you feel we should know", do you think it would be bad not to say anything? I don't have any updates to my application but don't want to leave it blank!
I just put my gap year plans/any quick covid updates since I just graduated. It's optional so you'd be fine to leave it blank. Also just a side-note but I would change your avi/username to maintain anonymity on this site since there's real adcom members and staff on here

Anyone else still not receive a secondary? IS and transmitted on July 10...

Anyone else still not receive a secondary? IS and transmitted on July 10...
Pretty sure Loyola doesn't screen, because their website says they send secondaries to everyone: "Candidates who complete the AMCAS primary application and select Stritch as an option to receive their primary will be sent the Stritch Supplemental Application." Double-check that it didn't end up in your spam folder, the email is from [email protected].

is it minimum 100 words or maximum 100 words per question...

I checked my spam and still no message from them. Since they don't screen would it be weird if I emailed them asking about the status of my primary application?

I checked my spam and still no message from them. Since they don't screen would it be weird if I emailed them asking about the status of my primary application?
I was contemplating reaching out to them soon too. I haven't received anything, submitted AMCAS on 6/1

how long are you all writing for these questions? I feel like 500 words is a lot for some of them haha

It wouldn’t hurt to ask. I suppose it might be possible that they release the secondaries in batches, but you would think that since they don’t screen it would just be all at once.

how long are you all writing for these questions? I feel like 500 words is a lot for some of them haha
For some of them I only wrote about 400 max. I’d say try to do at least 200-300, unless you really can’t think of anything and it’s all fluff.

does anyone else get a blank page when they print the application after they submitted their app?

Just be patient

Was anyone able to reach the admissions office via email and get a response? I emailed them yesterday and today as well but no one has responded yet. :(

If it was a job and not related to your school work, then I think you could make the argument it's non-academic. It wasn't tied to your grades. It was a job.

My print application also just has one massive paragraph. I think we can't really do anything about it haha

kinda off topic but my MCAT was suppose to be in 6 days but it got cancelled (not related to COVID the testing center flooded lol) I got a spot for AUG 29th as im on the waitlist for other test dates, do you guys think this will hurt me? I plan to submit my secondary next week.

Was anyone able to reach the admissions office via email and get a response? I emailed them yesterday and today as well but no one has responded yet. :(
Stop emailing them. They get 10s of thousands of emails. You’re not gonna get a response within a day. If it’s about waiting for the secondary just keep waiting it’s coming!!

kinda off topic but my MCAT was suppose to be in 6 days but it got cancelled (not related to COVID the testing center flooded lol) I got a spot for AUG 29th as im on the waitlist for other test dates, do you guys think this will hurt me? I plan to submit my secondary next week.
I mean it will definitely hurt you to not be complete until the end of September. But is it something that will give you no chance? Absolutely not. This cycles timeline is ****ed.

Question 2 asks what you've learned about yourself from your social justice experiences and Question 3 asks what what have you learned about yourself through serving underserved communities. Would it be a bad idea to use the same experience for both and just have the what i learned about myself be different for each? The only "concrete social justice experience" I have is my time volunteering at a soup kitchen (300+ hours).

Does Loyola care as much as other schools about quick secondary turnaround? Should I be trying to get this in a few days in, or is two weeks okay? Want to make sure my responses are really good because they're such detailed questions! But nervous bout being too late

Question 2 asks what you've learned about yourself from your social justice experiences and Question 3 asks what what have you learned about yourself through serving underserved communities. Would it be a bad idea to use the same experience for both and just have the what i learned about myself be different for each? The only "concrete social justice experience" I have is my time volunteering at a soup kitchen (300+ hours).
Don’t use the same for both

Don’t use the same for both

Thanks. I can't think of any social justice experiences I've been involved with that are concrete besides my time serving underserved communities... I am passionate about social justice but I don't have any involvement in advocacy groups or things of that sort. More so just lots of volunteering the underserved at a soup kitchen and taking lots of sociology and public health classes. Any tips on how I could approach this? Them saying "concrete" makes me think they're looking for official activities I was involved in rather than just taking classes and writing research papers on the topic.

Last edited:
Thanks. I can't think of any social justice experiences I've been involved with that are concrete besides my time serving underserved communities... I am passionate about social justice but I don't have any involvement in advocacy groups or things of that sort. More so just lots of volunteering the underserved at a soup kitchen and taking lots of sociology and public health classes. Any tips on how I could approach this? Them saying "concrete" makes me think they're looking for official activities I was involved in rather than just taking classes and writing research papers on the topic.
I definitely don't think the only form of "concrete" social justice experience is participation in advocacy groups. It can be ANY time in which you've encountered something relating to social justice. Examples could be: volunteering at hospitals, you might notice that sometimes those of certain SES or ethnicity seem to be treated differently by nurses/doctors; similarly, discrimination you've encountered or witnessed while at school, work, etc. It could be a positive example too: a role model in your life or even a celebrity you admire who goes above and beyond to do more for others.