2020-2021 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, Pennsylvania)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called Elmira today and was told that there is movement on the Alternate list but they wouldn't say how much. I was told that they could pull from the list through the 2nd week of classes.
Did they specifically say "Alternate" list? Just wondering since there was the confusion between the list... šŸ˜¬

Members don't see this ad :)
I live on the West Coast šŸ¤£
Same šŸ™ˆ like please don't let me move cross country with a days notice...I'll do it, but ideally please give me more time šŸ˜†

Reactions: 4 users
Did they specifically say "Alternate" list? Just wondering since there was the confusion between the list... šŸ˜¬
The only thing that makes sense is anyone who got a decision letter is on the alternate list. Those who waited months and didnā€™t even get a decision are probably waitlisted. Is there anyone who still hasnā€™t gotten a post interview decision yet?

I am on the alternate list, that is the one that I inquired about. I thought that both lists were pretty much the same. :unsure:

It seems like all of the LECOM campuses accepted WAY more applications than there were seats. Not sure why they interviewed so many people to waislist or alternate them for months now rather than sending a rejection so these students can plan their lives accordingly.
Here are some statistics for the Bradenton campus which many said they received an email saying the application cycle is closed due to the semester starting next month. Do NOT waste your money in their MMS program. My friend who has thankfully accepted a place at PCOM instead of LECOM said that only 16-17 students from their class of continuing spring class of 110/120 MMS students were accepted into the medical school. They sent out emails to their students on waitlist bragging about 65% of interviewed MMS students being accepted into the medical program when the truth is that maybe 48 students (half dental/half medicine) from the whole class made it to interview day with them. For profit schools tend to skew their numbers this way to attract more buyers. Do not fall a victim and waste $25000 on their masterā€™s program. Retake your MCAT, get stronger letters, do research, volunteer/ work in healthcare and youā€™ll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 7 users
It seems like all of the LECOM campuses accepted WAY more applications than there were seats. Not sure why they interviewed so many people to waislist or alternate them for months now rather than sending a rejection so these students can plan their lives accordingly.
Here are some statistics for the Bradenton campus which many said they received an email saying the application cycle is closed due to the semester starting next month. Do NOT waste your money in their MMS program. My friend who has thankfully accepted a place at PCOM instead of LECOM said that only 16-17 students from their class of continuing spring class of 110/120 MMS students were accepted into the medical school. They sent out emails to their students on waitlist bragging about 65% of interviewed MMS students being accepted into the medical program when the truth is that maybe 48 students (half dental/half medicine) from the whole class made it to interview day with them. For profit schools tend to skew their numbers this way to attract more buyers. Do not fall a victim and waste $25000 on their masterā€™s program. Retake your MCAT, get stronger letters, do research, volunteer/ work in healthcare and youā€™ll get in somewhere.
YES. I completely agree. We can all amp up our volunteer experiences, try to crush the MCAT, and avoid MMS like the plague. Good luck yā€™all :ā€™)

Reactions: 2 users
Got that Bradenton rejection finally but seeing the words LECOM made my heart best faster.

Reactions: 1 users
YES. I completely agree. We can all amp up our volunteer experiences, try to crush the MCAT, and avoid MMS like the plague. Good luck yā€™all :ā€™)
Got below email today from LECOM Bradenton
We sincerely thank you for applying for admission to Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Bradenton. The application cycle for the Class of 2025 is now closed. The applicant pool was very competitive and though we feel you display many fine qualities; we are not able to offer every applicant a seat in the class. If you are interested in reapplying for the next applicant year, you may submit a new application through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) on-line at www.aacom.org . The new application cycle opened on May 4, 2021; we suggest you complete and submit your re-application as early as possible.
Also offered to apply for their MMS.
Hope, not the same decision for Elmira..? I have interview only for Elmira, and Alternate listed for Elmira.

We sincerely thank you for applying for admission to Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Bradenton. The application cycle for the Class of 2025 is now closed. The applicant pool was very competitive and though we feel you display many fine qualities; we are not able to offer every applicant a seat in the class. If you are interested in reapplying for the next applicant year, you may submit a new application through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service (AACOMAS) on-line at www.aacom.org . The new application cycle opened on May 4, 2021; we suggest you complete and submit your re-application as early as possible.
Hope, not the same decision for Elmira..? I have interview only for Elmira, and Alternate listed for Elmira.

no itā€™s not cause I got this bradenton one too and was accepted to Erie

Weā€™re you waitlisted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have the contact for Erie so I can ask about alternate list movement
Did you end up calling Erie?
Iā€™m toying with the idea of calling but I just donā€™t know if itā€™s worth it at this point. Iā€™m not sure theyā€™ll have anything to say that we donā€™t already know!

Did you end up calling Erie?
Iā€™m toying with the idea of calling but I just donā€™t know if itā€™s worth it at this point. Iā€™m not sure theyā€™ll have anything to say that we donā€™t already know!
I didnā€™t due to work, but Iā€™m going to call Monday morning.

Got that Bradenton rejection finally but seeing the words LECOM made my heart best faster
Were you on the waitlist for Bradenton? I believe there was a wave of emails sent out before saying the cycle closed but everyone didnā€™t get the email.

Were you on the waitlist for Bradenton? I believe there was a wave of emails sent out before saying the cycle closed but everyone didnā€™t get the email.
I got the Bradenton rejection email today, but I was never interviewed or put on a waitlist for Bradenton

Not for Bradenton! I'm only waitlisted for Elmira.

Hey folks- I'm interested in finding out some info about the DSP pathway at Erie. If anyone who is in the DSP or is pretty familiar with it has any input it would be much appreciated:

1) Do you get access to all the materials the LDP pathway students get (such as suggested topic lists for exams, outlines etc)? Do you feel you're at any disadvantage compared to LDP when studying for exams if you don't get access to some of the helpful materials they receive?

2) How often do you meet with other students (if at all) and what other in-person meetings are required for this pathway ?

3) How often do you have exams/quizzes and what is the format? How often do you meet with a faculty member/supervisor and how does that work?

4) Do you feel you're able to form sufficient relationships with professors/other students in this pathway, enough to allow you to network, obtain LORs etc or do you think you're at a disadvantage to LDPs in this respect?

5) Don't know if this info is available, but is the attrition for the DSP any different from that in the LDP? Are outcomes (e.g. board scores, match rate) any different?

6) How many hours would you say you study at a day as a DSP?

7) Where are the hospitals where you do our core rotations located? And what is the quality of the rotations like and the experience of students ?

8) I've heard some complaints about students being treated disrespectfully /condescendingly by profs and/or staff and emails to professors sometimes going unanswered. Can anyone comment on this?

9) If anyone knows where I can find the match list (with names of programs and specialties) for LECOM for the past few years it would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance for helping me get some info on my many questions :)

Last edited:
Hey folks- I'm interested in finding out some info about the DSP pathway at Erie. If anyone who is in the DSP or is pretty familiar with it has any input it would be much appreciated:

1) Do you get access to all the materials the LDP pathway students get (such as suggested topic lists for exams, outlines etc)? Do you feel you're at any disadvantage compared to LDP when studying for exams if you don't get access to some of the helpful materials they receive?

2) How often do you meet with other students (if at all) and what other in-person meetings are required for this pathway ?

3) How often do you have exams/quizzes and what is the format? How often do you meet with a faculty member/supervisor and how does that work?

4) Do you feel you're able to form sufficient relationships with professors/other students in this pathway, enough to allow you to network, obtain LORs etc or do you think you're at a disadvantage to LDPs in this respect?

5) Don't know if this info is available, but is the attrition for the DSP any different from that in the LDP? Are outcomes (e.g. board scores, match rate) any different?

6) How many hours would you say you study at a day as a DSP?

7) Where are the hospitals where you do our core rotations located? And what is the quality of the rotations like and the experience of students ?

8) I've heard some complaints about students being treated disrespectfully /condescendingly by profs and/or staff and emails to professors sometimes going unanswered. Can anyone comment on this?

9) If anyone knows where I can find the match list (with names of programs and specialties) for LECOM for the past few years it would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance for helping me get some info on my many questions :)
Since I am an applicant and not a current student I can really only answer number 9 šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. But here it is College of Osteopathic Medicine Post-graduate Medical Education Residency Match Elmira isnā€™t listed because itā€™s still brand new and the first class hasnā€™t graduated yet. Also if you scroll all the way down after you click the most recent year it separates all the matches by campus.

Tune in for another week of disappointment!

Reactions: 12 users
Can they just send out a "class is full" email already... I need that closure lol

Reactions: 8 users
so I emailed seton hill last week and they said WL movement has been slow but they expect it to pick upā€¦.idk when that would be since orientation is in a month

Reactions: 10 users
Since I am an applicant and not a current student I can really only answer number 9 šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. But here it is College of Osteopathic Medicine Post-graduate Medical Education Residency Match Elmira isnā€™t listed because itā€™s still brand new and the first class hasnā€™t graduated yet. Also if you scroll all the way down after you click the most recent year it separates all the matches by campus.
Any idea why their match list has so few west coast matches? I wonder if it's because they are not really known as a school on the west coast and harder to find residencies there as a result or if the students are mainly from the east part of the country so prefer to match in that area.

I posted something similar in another thread, but I'll say it here also cause it seems like a lot of people think this process is a lot more mysterious than it really is.

I can say with almost 100% certainty that every med school's class has been full for a while. Now, that doesn't mean they're finalized. There will certainly continue to be a cascade of waitlist movement amongst schools until every school has officially started, and the differences in those start dates is why sometimes people get accepted shortly after their class started even. For example, let's say LECOM's start date is July 20th but another school's is July 27th. If someone accepted to LECOM gets pulled off the waitlist at the second school between July 20th and 27th, LECOM would then have to replace that person with someone from the waitlist even though their class already started.

Basically, there's two primary dates where a school will see the most movement: the first is the date their final payment is due; the second is the commit to one acceptance date of May 15th or whatever it was. I think most, if not all, DO schools overfill with acceptances initially to cover the majority of the movement from those two dates, and the remaining comes from the waitlist. So ever since the May 15th date, the only movement you'll see will be from the waitlist cascade. A person gets off the waitlist somewhere, takes that spot, opens up their current spot, and then that spot has to be filled. That's why you're only seeing one person every once in a while. It really wouldn't make sense for it to happen any other way.

Anyway, I wish everyone luck on getting in. I am sure more people will continue getting in from the waitlist cascade up until the start date, and I wish everyone here luck. I just don't think this process is a mystery at all. Any other way it could happen wouldn't make any sense to me.

• Okay...
Reactions: 9 users
Iā€™m basically not too optimistic anymore haha. But life goes on! Doing other great things with my life, med school will be there another year :)

Reactions: 9 users
did anyone on the alternate list reapply to lecom for the next cycle? It doesn't hurt our spot on the list, right?

Reactions: 1 user
Not reapplying this cycle because the pandemic really limited my ability to get more clinical experience. Reapplying next year.

did anyone on the alternate list reapply to lecom for the next cycle? It doesn't hurt our spot on the list, right?
I did. I saw somewhere that it doesnā€™t hurt I donā€™t remember where though

Is there a link on the portal to withdraw from the WL? Apparently my alternate list letter was never received but I wanna make it an official withdrawal!

Is there a link on the portal to withdraw from the WL? Apparently my alternate list letter was never received but I wanna make it an official withdrawal!
You can always email them!

Also, noooo I will miss seeing your pensive face Geralt! Hmm

You can always email them!

Also, noooo I will miss seeing your pensive face Geralt! Hmm
I'll just have to do that! and awwwww! But ya know, wind's howling, place of power must be over at NEOMED!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
My cousin applied here and was waitlisted. She said they gave her the run around and kept telling her there will be movement on the waitlist. Then she spoke to someone in admissions last week and they were very harsh with her like they didnā€™t want to answer her questions. They told her to accept her other acceptances/offers and that the cycle is coming to a close. This morning, she received and email saying that the cycle is closed and has been crying the whole day.

• Care
My cousin applied here and was waitlisted. She said they gave her the run around and kept telling her there will be movement on the waitlist. Then she spoke to someone in admissions last week and they were very harsh with her like they didnā€™t want to answer her questions. They told her to accept her other acceptances/offers and that the cycle is coming to a close. This morning, she received and email saying that the cycle is closed and has been crying the whole day.
I'm really sorry to hear that about your cousin! I hope she has an acceptance elsewhere.

Tell her we are all in the same boat (although I don't have an acceptance anywhere else lol).

If she received a cycle is over email, I guess we all will soon as well.

I'm really sorry to hear that about your cousin! I hope she has an acceptance elsewhere.

Tell her we are all in the same boat (although I don't have an acceptance anywhere else lol).

If she received a cycle is over email, I guess we all will soon as well.
Yes she doing well and waiting to hear from ARCOM and two other DO schools.

So we have one member above saying they called one of the campuses and was told more waitlist movement was on the way and now we get this story. Conflicting, no?

Take everything on here with a grain of salt. It ainā€™t over till itā€™s over.

Reactions: 4 users
Do you know which campus she interviewed for at LECOM?
Erie or the one in Pennsylvania because here husband recently got a job offer there and acceptance here would have brought them more stability in terms of location.

So we have one member above saying they called one of the campuses and was told more waitlist movement was on the way and now we get this story. Conflicting, no?

Take everything on here with a grain of salt. It ainā€™t over till itā€™s over.
Very true I guess but you have to be rational. Classes start next month from what I was told and this month is almost over. The huge number of people on this sdn thread waiting to get off a waitlistā€¦ obviously it may happen for a significant few 5-10 maximum considering that most students have deposited and committed to their school of choice and started movement plans to different states for school. Just a thought.

Very true I guess but you have to be rational. Classes start next month from what I was told and this month is almost over. The huge number of people on this sdn thread waiting to get off a waitlistā€¦ obviously it may happen for a significant few 5-10 maximum considering that most students have deposited and committed to their school of choice and started movement plans to different states for school. Just a thought.
Yup. Totally agree. There is no large wave of acceptance for alternates coming. MAYBE for other DO schools, but LECOM is a well established institution, and one of the better DO programs, with low tuition and costs. In addition, they gave out more interviews than majority of the medical schools out there this year, and definitely overfilled their classes, so itā€™s very unlikely a large amount of students will be taken off at this point. Ah, well, thereā€™s always next year!

I was accepted to LECOM Elmira and we recently received an email that had 125 students in the email thread. I think that Elmira has 129 seats, but I am not sure. So, don't lose hope yet!

Reactions: 6 users
I was accepted to LECOM Elmira and we recently received an email that had 125 students in the email thread. I think that Elmira has 129 seats, but I am not sure. So, don't lose hope yet!
thank you for that! giving me a little shred of hope while I do my re-app

Reactions: 5 users