2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any current students comment on the advantages/disadvantages of attending this campus vs Pomona? I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to both, but I am struggling to decide where to attend.

No sale tax in Oregon :D, probably cheaper cost of living as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Rotation quality would probably be the biggest difference IMO.

Do you think Pomona has an advantage in this area? It seems like there is more opportunity but with the added competition of all the other med students from the UCs. It seemed like Lebanon had a pretty good set up with samaritan too.

No sale tax in Oregon :D, probably cheaper cost of living as well.

Yeah the COL is murder in socal. I know I could live way cheaper in Oregon.

Do you think Pomona has an advantage in this area? It seems like there is more opportunity but with the added competition of all the other med students from the UCs. It seemed like Lebanon had a pretty good set up with samaritan too.

Yeah the COL is murder in socal. I know I could live way cheaper in Oregon.

I am not sure about your living style, but I spent 2 years in Corvallis during my undergrad years and I loved it. If you do not like crowded places Lebanon/Corvallis is a great place to live in, the area overall feels very spacious/underpopulated and slow-paced. Personally I don't think I can fit in with the fast-paced, hustling lifestyle of Los A. Oh and Oregon State U has a killer library open to public if the COMP NW library doesn't do it for ya :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on the advantages/disadvantages of attending this campus vs Pomona? I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to both, but I am struggling to decide where to attend.
I think everyone has come up with good things to consider. For me Pomona is less than an hour from home which is why I’m swaying that way. Not sure where you’re from but that’s a huge factor for me right now.

Reactions: 1 users
I do, I'm slightly concerned about the rotation quality offered throughout Oregon.
COL is a huge factor as another poster mentioned; also Lebanon is completely rural.
In what regard?

I am not sure about your living style, but I spent 2 years in Corvallis during my undergrad years and I loved it. If you do not like crowded places Lebanon/Corvallis is a great place to live in, the area overall feels very spacious/underpopulated and slow-paced. Personally I don't think I can fit in with the fast-paced, hustling lifestyle of Los A. Oh and Oregon State U has a killer library open to public if the COMP NW library doesn't do it for ya :D
I'm a transplant from the rural midwest to a major urban area so I'm open to both. Besides, I don't think I'll be doing much but studying for the next two years.

I’m a first year at Lebanon and I can’t speak to Pomona because I’ve never been to the campus, but you basically need to figure out if you want to live in SoCal or Oregon. Our curriculum is the exact same, tests are same, mandatory classes are the same, we are all compared to each other (our averages include Lebanon and Pomona), what I have noticed is our Anatomy teachers seem way more relaxed and chill. I like that I can walk to school, most of us live in the neighborhood, I like that everything I could ever want is a 15 min drive to either Albany/Corvallis. I like that Lebanon is safe and we are allowed to be at campus till I think 1-2 am and have access to Anatomy lab during all those hours as well. I’m from Oregon and the rotations I think are great, we have a great connection with Samaritan which has General Surgery, IM, Ortho Surgery, Cardio fellowship and Derm residencies. We also have people that go to Portland, Tacoma, Bend, Medford all pretty large hospitals and city center. Our class is about 100 people where I think Pomona is around 200, more of our lectures tend to be streamed from Pomona, but I don’t go to class so they are all streamed to me. I don’t know how our facilities compare but I study mostly at home so I’m only on campus for mandatory class mostly. Our school is pretty small so I’ve already met with advisors about research and my path to residency and feel like we are their top priority.

I think at this point you just have to decide where you would be most comfortable, good luck. Let me know if you have more questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello! I posted in this thread earlier - flying in from Texas, I found the Eugene airport to be closer to the Ponoma campus and for me, flying to Portland and Eugene both have 1 stop in the middle. Is there much of a difference if I just go with the Eugene airport?

Hello! I posted in this thread earlier - flying in from Texas, I found the Eugene airport to be closer to the Ponoma campus and for me, flying to Portland and Eugene both have 1 stop in the middle. Is there much of a difference if I just go with the Eugene airport?

well Eugene is closer to the Pomona campus :) it’s also closer to the Lebanon campus. Eugene is a smaller airport and much quicker to fly in and out of.. I would highly recommend.

Last edited:
well Eugene is closer to the Pomona campus :) it’s also closer to the Lebanon campus. Eugene is a smaller airport and much quicker to fly in and out of.. I would highly recommend.
Ahaha, yes Lebanon thanks. Is it easy to grab an uber from the airport as well?? Or is there public transportation? Thank you!!

Ahaha, yes Lebanon thanks. Is it easy to grab an uber from the airport as well?? Or is there public transportation? Thank you!!

I'm pretty sure if you fly into either Eugene or PDX you may want to rent a car.. I'm not sure Uber does Eugene Airport to Lebanon, but if they do it's probably pretty expensive and may be cheaper to rent a car.

I’m a first year at Lebanon and I can’t speak to Pomona because I’ve never been to the campus, but you basically need to figure out if you want to live in SoCal or Oregon. Our curriculum is the exact same, tests are same, mandatory classes are the same, we are all compared to each other (our averages include Lebanon and Pomona), what I have noticed is our Anatomy teachers seem way more relaxed and chill. I like that I can walk to school, most of us live in the neighborhood, I like that everything I could ever want is a 15 min drive to either Albany/Corvallis. I like that Lebanon is safe and we are allowed to be at campus till I think 1-2 am and have access to Anatomy lab during all those hours as well. I’m from Oregon and the rotations I think are great, we have a great connection with Samaritan which has General Surgery, IM, Ortho Surgery, Cardio fellowship and Derm residencies. We also have people that go to Portland, Tacoma, Bend, Medford all pretty large hospitals and city center. Our class is about 100 people where I think Pomona is around 200, more of our lectures tend to be streamed from Pomona, but I don’t go to class so they are all streamed to me. I don’t know how our facilities compare but I study mostly at home so I’m only on campus for mandatory class mostly. Our school is pretty small so I’ve already met with advisors about research and my path to residency and feel like we are their top priority.

I think at this point you just have to decide where you would be most comfortable, good luck. Let me know if you have more questions.

I interviewed at both. The Pomona campus cadaver lab is archaic as hell and it’s not exactly the safest area? There are security guards on campus walking around to prevent trespassers but it’s basically described as an island. The med students there said they try not to leave their “island” and I understand why. On my interview day I was almost beat up and called Bruce lee after leaving my hotel which... was the closest one to the school. I absolutely loved the school, the interview, and the students here. If I hadn’t been accepted to the university of Washington, I would have came here... fortunately, I didn’t make the deposit extra thousand for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call! Accepted!
GPA 3.75
MCAT 509
Never Been in Oregon, No Rural Experience
Extensive experience in Underserved Communities

I got accepted as well! Do you know if there is a deadline to accept the offer besides putting down the deposit?

I got accepted as well! Do you know if there is a deadline to accept the offer besides putting down the deposit?
I actually don't know. I will be probably attending KCU since I placed my deposit already. You should contact WesternU's admissions department.

Im not quite sure I understand your question, but once you pay your deposit Western assumes you are attending.. you have health docs due by June, but there isn’t a second step to commit to attending after deposit

Im not quite sure I understand your question, but once you pay your deposit Western assumes you are attending.. you have health docs due by June, but there isn’t a second step to commit to attending after deposit

There is a place to “accept your offer” but I agree I think putting down the deposit is the real commitment.

Congrats to the accepted! Last post, I swear - if anyone flying into Eugene (Dec 6th) for the interview on the 7th would like to share a ride please let me know!!

Just put my first deposit down! Can't wait to start!

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats! I am Still fighting with myself over which campus I want to attend.

I thought about it for a long time and ended up not being able to justify the cost of living in SoCal. The Lebanon campus was also the only place that I felt “at home” out of all the interviews I attended. I’m really looking forward to being able to spend the next four years in the northwest.

I thought about it for a long time and ended up not being able to justify the cost of living in SoCal. The Lebanon campus was also the only place that I felt “at home” out of all the interviews I attended. I’m really looking forward to being able to spend the next four years in the northwest.

Even though I’m not going here, that’s the feeling I got too. Lebanon also has a much smaller class which means you’ll be a lot closer than Pomona’s 200+

Trust me I understand. I’m from SoCal so I comepltely understand the Cost of living haha. It’s painful, but being close to home is too enticing, good thing I still have a week to fight with myself and make a decision.

Trust me I understand. I’m from SoCal so I comepltely understand the Cost of living haha. It’s painful, but being close to home is too enticing, good thing I still have a week to fight with myself and make a decision.

I’m sure you’ll make the right choice. Hang in there homie.

Does anyone know if rejection is sent out via email or mail?

Posting this here because maybe someone can help. I'm admitted to Pomona, but does anyone know when is the last possible time to pay the deposit on the 15th? I called the admissions and didn't get a straight answer - they said *technically* you can pay the deposit on the 15th, but sometimes processing takes up to 24 hours. I asked if the deposit is timestamped with when the payment is submitted or when the payment goes through, and they did not know, just said to be safe and submit on the 14th. I am supposed to get a decision from another school on the 15th, so if anyone knows the answer please help :oops:

II an hour ago, everything was checked off on 9/16 although I had submitted the secondary in August. OOS.

Last edited:
Congrats everyone! I got an Il today as well! Does only Jan 25th show up as an interview date for anyone else?

Congrats!! do you mind sharing complete date?

Thanks so much! A little nervous bc I'm not sure I can make my interview date! I sent in my secondary in mid-August and was complete w. CASPer 9/3!

Edit: East coast OOS if that matters at all!

Anyone have any idea when we know for sure know if we are part of ISAC? I haven't been able to get a straight answer and I emailed the professor but no reply in over 1.5 weeks. Just trying to plan when I am moving and what not.

Anyone have any idea when we know for sure know if we are part of ISAC? I haven't been able to get a straight answer and I emailed the professor but no reply in over 1.5 weeks. Just trying to plan when I am moving and what not.

I think you have to apply for it. So it may take some time to see if you qualify/the professor picks you? I don’t know. I’m interested in ISAC as well.

I think you have to apply for it. So it may take some time to see if you qualify/the professor picks you? I don’t know. I’m interested in ISAC as well.
I emailed the professor 2 months ago and he responded with "I will add you to my last." I was hoping to have a date in the next month for when in May I will be moving so hopefully we find out more soon!

After much debate, I am withdrawing my acceptance here. I will be attending the Pomona campus, so hopefully I will get to meet some of you via the little exchange student program they have. Good luck to everyone the rest of the cycle!

Reactions: 2 users
After much debate, I am withdrawing my acceptance here. I will be attending the Pomona campus, so hopefully I will get to meet some of you via the little exchange student program they have. Good luck to everyone the rest of the cycle!

what’s the exchange program?

what’s the exchange program?
Someone might know the details better than I. But at my interview day one of the students mentioned they had a program where some of the Oregon students spend time in Pomona and vice versa. Don’t know the length or the extent to how that happens though.

Has anyone heard about doing clinicals out of Oregon? Like AZ? For this school

Has anyone heard about doing clinicals out of Oregon? Like AZ? For this school
Yes you can have that set up your 4th year. Your third year has some flexibility but pretty much you’re in Oregon for all your core rotations 3rd year.

I interviewed that day too. I think we’ll hear back on Tuesday judging from previous posts in the thread of people who interviewed on Saturdays.

Ohhhh I thought at the end, she said “we’d hear back either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. But to be patient til Friday, because of finals.”