2019-2020 Western University of Health Sciences (Lebanon, Oregon)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Have any 10/19 interviewees heard anything? I thought that she said we would hear today.

they hold letters of interest to a very high regard. I am a first year student here. I submitted my application in September, but never heard anything, so around December I reached out to Shauna in admissions, she told me I wasn’t selected for an interview but was on the waitlist for one. She said if I was truly interested to write a letter of interest, I reiterated why COMP-NW was my first choice and why I was a good fit. I got an interview for January and was accepted. The more interest you show to COMP-NW the more they know you want it, so call, check in, stay updated, and write letters. If you know you want this school and have a clear Reason why you have to tell them.
if you don't mind, i was wondering what your stats were last cycle? you can also PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
if you don't mind, i was wondering what your stats were last cycle? you can also PM me.

I’m not an amazing person to compare too as I have a LOT of clinical experience, but my gpa was 3.3ish (Cum and Science) and 501 MCAT. I’m an Oregon resident, this was my top choice.

Last edited:
I’m not an amazing person to compare too as I have a LOT of clinical experience and a doctoral degree, but my gpa was 3.3ish (Cum and Science) and 501 MCAT. I’m an Oregon resident, this was my top choice.
Awesome. Looks like this school is not all about stats - keeps me hopeful for my Dec. ii.

What does it take to get an interview here?
To me, it's honestly hard to say what they are explicitly looking for. Maybe some current students can chime in, but I haven't seen much rhyme or reason between applicants they ii and those they reject. They certainly care about more than just numbers, though.

To me, it's honestly hard to say what they are explicitly looking for. Maybe some current students can chime in, but I haven't seen much rhyme or reason between applicants they ii and those they reject. They certainly care about more than just numbers, though.
Gotcha. Maybe I should attend the preview day lol, I can't afford that trip though.

Gotcha. Maybe I should attend the preview day lol, I can't afford that trip though.
IMO secondary essays and your overall life experiences are pretty important to this school. Not sure if attending previews helps applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call! Accepted!
GPA 3.75
MCAT 509
Never Been in Oregon, No Rural Experience
Extensive experience in Underserved Communities

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if they will look at your app without Casper score? I just took the Casper and it will take a few weeks to be scored and sent to the school. Should I submit my secondary now or wait?

Does anyone know if they will look at your app without Casper score? I just took the Casper and it will take a few weeks to be scored and sent to the school. Should I submit my secondary now or wait?
They will not review your letters of recommendation until after your CASPer score is received by the school. I'm not sure that submitting the secondary later is a good idea, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially accepted my offer today!

Reactions: 3 users
What swayed you to western?
It was a really hard decision but I just felt that the school was the most well rounded. The faculty and students were very close knit, good curriculum, good stats, beautiful school, and loved the area. I think its nice how the school is in a small town and then close to two bigger towns and then only an hour fifteen about from Portland. Being in a small town will provide less distractions. I also thought that this school offered a lot of great extra curriculars and having the pre-anatomy program and fellowship was a big thing for me. I am accepting two schools for admissions just because I am neurotic about something going wrong. I haven't decided where the second school will be just yet.

It was a really hard decision but I just felt that the school was the most well rounded. The faculty and students were very close knit, good curriculum, good stats, beautiful school, and loved the area. I think its nice how the school is in a small town and then close to two bigger towns and then only an hour fifteen about from Portland. Being in a small town will provide less distractions. I also thought that this school offered a lot of great extra curriculars and having the pre-anatomy program and fellowship was a big thing for me. I am accepting two schools for admissions just because I am neurotic about something going wrong. I haven't decided where the second school will be just yet.
Thanks for the reply! For the life of me I cannot decide between azcom, western and pnwu. Will probably end up accepting two as well haha

Thanks for the reply! For the life of me I cannot decide between azcom, western and pnwu. Will probably end up accepting two as well haha
I turned down my interview at PNWU but have heard some good things. I am from AZ and a friend goes to AZCOM and really likes it! I am ready to leave AZ so didn't continue with any schools here haha.

I turned down my interview at PNWU but have heard some good things. I am from AZ and a friend goes to AZCOM and really likes it! I am ready to leave AZ so didn't continue with any schools here haha.
May I ask what your stats are? PNWU and COMPNW are my top choices :)

May I ask what your stats are? PNWU and COMPNW are my top choices :)
3.84 sGPA and cGPA. MCATs in order of taking them is 498, 493, 500. Working as a scribe now for a year. Shadowed both DO and MD. Health-care and non-health related volunteering!

3.84 sGPA and cGPA. MCATs in order of taking them is 498, 493, 500. Working as a scribe now for a year. Shadowed both DO and MD. Health-care and non-health related volunteering!

Great! Man I hope I get in, just submitted my Casper and secondary, hopefully it is not too late. My family lives in Portland so COMPNW would be ideal for me.

Reactions: 2 users
Great! Man I hope I get in, just submitted my Casper and secondary, hopefully it is not too late. My family lives in Portland so COMPNW would be ideal for me.
Good luck!!

I’m going to give a little advice here for those of you yet to interview. I’m not saying doing these things will get you flat out rejected but for several of the current students interviewing you we find these things to be disappointing and disrespectful on interview day:

Stay off your cell phone

wear a tie

tuck in your shirt

I’m going to give a little advice here for those of you yet to interview. I’m not saying doing these things will get you flat out rejected but for several of the current students interviewing you we find these things to be disappointing and disrespectful on interview day:

Stay off your cell phone

wear a tie

tuck in your shirt
Crazy that this has to be said! Are these things common?

I have seen 1 or all of these at the interviews I’ve participated in this year
Sheesh, sounds disappointing but also a bit entertaining. I heard this school has a low post-ii acceptance rate but maybe this contributes to it?

Sheesh, sounds disappointing but also a bit entertaining. I heard this school has a low post-ii acceptance rate but maybe this contributes to it?

honestly, I can’t speak to the post interview acceptance rate. Your stats got you the interview, you are what gets you accepted

honestly, I can’t speak to the post interview acceptance rate. Your stats got you the interview, you are what gets you accepted
Thanks for the info. Actually, I don't know what got me the interview. LizzyM of low-ish 60s. Any other interview tips for success? :)

Thanks for the info. Actually, I don't know what got me the interview. LizzyM of low-ish 60s. Any other interview tips for success? :)

Be a human for sure, but know why Western over other schools. Try and enjoy the day, we know it’s stressful but we want you to love us as much as we love it.

Be a human for sure, but know why Western over other schools. Try and enjoy the day, we know it’s stressful but we want you to love us as much as we love it.

Second this. Also have a good answer for why DO. Some interviewers will place more weight on this question than others.

Has anyone started a Facebook group page yet for the incoming class? I officially accepted my offer over the weekend!

Has anyone started a Facebook group page yet for the incoming class? I officially accepted my offer over the weekend!

The president of our class makes the Facebook page, it didn't go live until spring last year.. I think they want to class to be pretty settled before they open it.

The president of our class makes the Facebook page, it didn't go live until spring last year.. I think they want to class to be pretty settled before they open it.
Oh interesting, that's a bit far away. I think the group would be good to have earlier on so people can get acquainted and discuss housing, events, and other stuff. So correct me if I am wrong, but we choose a President before starting the class orrr?

Last edited:
Oh interesting, that's a bit far away. I think the group would be good to have earlier on so people can get acquainted and discuss housing, events, and other stuff. So correct me if I am wrong, but we choose a President before starting the class orrr?

No, I’m a first year at Western, “our” President makes the page.. I’m not sure the official page will go up any sooner, but I can bring it up to them

does anyone know what day(s) IIs are sent out and when the last interview date is for COMPNW?

Hello! Interviewing here December 7th, looking for people to share a ride from the Eugene airport to Lebanon on the 6th?? I'm flying from Texas, I think that it seems flying into the Eugene airport is the best choice?

Just got my acceptance call. Interviewed 11/2.
Guys...I GET TO BE A DOCTOR!

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the acceptance call! Interviewed 11/2.

Reactions: 4 users
Also just got an acceptance call! Congrats to everyone else who got one!

Interviewed 11/2, no call. Wouldn’t be surprised if I didn’t get in, but I’m still pissed about how bad my interview questions were. I knew right away my interviewer didn’t understand any of my answers haha

It is what it is, I only think it’s a little unprofessional considering I spent over 800 on flight/hotel/car for an interview where they interrupted me as I was making an analogy and also seemed visibly confused where I answered their question with a personal anecdote about my cultural upbringing. I didn’t really feel like my interview allowed me to talk about myself at all, I was only regurgitating canned answers about ethical scenarios. But the scenery was nice!

Same boat as you, haven’t heard anything. I felt my interview questions were pretty rough as well.

Update: rejected. Not upset about it but will definitely reflect on this and see what can be different about the next few interviews

Can any current students comment on the advantages/disadvantages of attending this campus vs Pomona? I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to both, but I am struggling to decide where to attend.