2019-2020 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if UVA offers a place to stay for second look?

They did offer housing with current students last year

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that people lock in housing pretty early (fall) but that might be more applicable to the undergrads. I know it's still very possible to find housing in the summer. They haven't opened up a FB group yet right? The FB group last year opened up around this time and I'd really like to start looking for roommates.
Yes, I think that’s true for undergrads but there is no way that’s true for med students as people don’t find out they’re accepted at the earliest in October and all the way through March and even later for the waitlisted. But I assume enough people have acceptances at this point that we can start at least looking for roommates / housing so yes, I’m curious about the FB group as well

Reactions: 1 user
I got an II two weeks ago. Any tips on preparing for the interview/what you found the most helpful? It's my first one and I'm stressing out :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got an II two weeks ago. Any tips on preparing for the interview/what you found the most helpful? It's my first one and I'm stressing out :confused:
This was one of my most relaxed interviews. I wasn’t asked anything except to elaborate on my activities and what I learned from them.

Reactions: 3 users
It was generally nice and conversational. Just prepare well (know your app and why medicine, look up 7-10 common questions, practice in front of a mirror or record yourself, mock interviews with family, friends, advisors, etc.) and you should be good. Two 30 minute interviews and a super nice lunch and the other general touring and presentations. Good luck!

II yesterday, LM 81, OOS. Decided that I will be declining. I was complete in July though so to anyone still waiting to hear back, there’s hope!

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Can anyone comment on the formats of the 2 interviews? faculty/student, open/closed, back to back or spread out, in morning or afternoon, etc.? thanks so much!
Can be 2 faculty or 1 faculty / 1 student. Both were open-file as far as I remember. They can be back to back but they like to give you a 30 minute break in between. Our group’s were in the afternoon.

• Love
Just confirming that no one has received a confirmation email after submitting the DocuSign right? idk why I feel like I missed a step lol

Still in silence, complete mid-July. Is there still hope?

Yes just got an interview this morning after being complete since early July! OOS

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They did offer housing with current students last year

Late, but does anyone know when they'll send out information about this? Don't want to book a hotel if I don't have to lol

II today!! Complete 8/19. Only three dates in February were available, and none in March.

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted on Friday! IS. Thank you @datboi_58 and @xkcd6330 for the interview tips :)

Does anyone know if selecting a certain campus is binding? I like the idea of the Inova campus but does anyone know if we can switch if something changes our minds?

Accepted on Friday! IS. Thank you @datboi_58 and @xkcd6330 for the interview tips :)

Does anyone know if selecting a certain campus is binding? I like the idea of the Inova campus but does anyone know if we can switch if something changes our minds?

Congrats! From what I understand, you can’t switch once you decide on a campus, so definitely take your time and weighing pros and cons before choosing.

Congrats! From what I understand, you can’t switch once you decide on a campus, so definitely take your time and weighing pros and cons before choosing.
Can you clarify what you mean by this? Because we decide on a campus before truly committing to the school (aka we decide between the 2-3 week time period they give us after sending out the offer). Seems odd that we won’t be able to switch a campus at least this spring, especially considering that about 100 or 150 people will go to another school altogether.

Can you clarify what you mean by this? Because we decide on a campus before truly committing to the school (aka we decide between the 2-3 week time period they give us after sending out the offer). Seems odd that we won’t be able to switch a campus at least this spring, especially considering that about 100 or 150 people will go to another school altogether.

So I actually asked about this specifically on interview day- and please anyone correct me if I’m wrong- but they were saying that your choice is ‘binding’ because they want to make sure they have the right distribution in each group. Now with that being said, I’m unsure if pre-matriculation if you can contact them and ask to switch if you’ve already submitted the form, but I know for sure once we start we can’t switch to a different campus.

I would either contact them or be mindful pre-matriculation which campus you choose since that’s a bit unknown how flexible they’re willing to be. Hope that clears it up a little.

So I actually asked about this specifically on interview day- and please anyone correct me if I’m wrong- but they were saying that your choice is ‘binding’ because they want to make sure they have the right distribution in each group. Now with that being said, I’m unsure if pre-matriculation if you can contact them and ask to switch if you’ve already submitted the form, but I know for sure once we start we can’t switch to a different campus.

I would either contact them or be mindful pre-matriculation which campus you choose since that’s a bit unknown how flexible they’re willing to be. Hope that clears it up a little.

I also asked this question during interview day, and got the same response.

Not the same school, but WVU also has a similar system, in which you have to pick one of three campuses right after your interview, but we were told that even though your choice is binding, you will have a chance to "swap" with someone during orientation (i.e. if you got Morgantown but would rather go to the Eastern campus, and someone else is in the opposite situation, you can trade places with each other).

So, who knows, UVA might be more flexible that they initially let on if you find yourself in a situation like the one described above. This is all speculation, of course. Also, congrats to everyone accepted so far; looking forward to meeting you, possible-future classmates!

I also asked this question during interview day, and got the same response.

Not the same school, but WVU also has a similar system, in which you have to pick one of three campuses right after your interview, but we were told that even though your choice is binding, you will have a chance to "swap" with someone during orientation (i.e. if you got Morgantown but would rather go to the Eastern campus, and someone else is in the opposite situation, you can trade places with each other).

So, who knows, UVA might be more flexible that they initially let on if you find yourself in a situation like the one described above. This is all speculation, of course. Also, congrats to everyone accepted so far; looking forward to meeting you, possible-future classmates!

Thank you both for replying, I'm glad you both thought to ask. Walking into the interview, I thought I wanted to go to the Inova campus; however, after touring the Charlottesville campus I'm not so sure. I know this has been discussed a little bit on this thread but it seems the only advantage of the Inova campus is the urban/diverse/high volume patient population. However, they just added on to their ER in Charlottesville which makes me think that the university hospital is expecting/taking on more patients. It makes me a little nervous to commit to such a new program as it's less established (i.e. there could be less research opportunities/being separated from mentors and doctors that have been established with the university for a longer time in Charlottesville/etc in addition to being separated from most of the class).

(Maybe @UNMedGa could speak to current student's concerns about the program or what their biggest draw was for going to the Inova campus) But how does everyone else feel about it? This definitely could just be me overthinking it

Thank you both for replying, I'm glad you both thought to ask. Walking into the interview, I thought I wanted to go to the Inova campus; however, after touring the Charlottesville campus I'm not so sure. I know this has been discussed a little bit on this thread but it seems the only advantage of the Inova campus is the urban/diverse/high volume patient population. However, they just added on to their ER in Charlottesville which makes me think that the university hospital is expecting/taking on more patients. It makes me a little nervous to commit to such a new program as it's less established (i.e. there could be less research opportunities/being separated from mentors and doctors that have been established with the university for a longer time in Charlottesville/etc in addition to being separated from most of the class).

(Maybe @UNMedGa could speak to current student's concerns about the program or what their biggest draw was for going to the Inova campus) But how does everyone else feel about it? This definitely could just be me overthinking it

This is definitely NOT just you overthinking it; these are all fairly valid concerns! I found myself on the same boat as you whenever I first started looking into UVA, thinking that choosing the INOVA campus would afford me with more hands-on experience during clerkships, due to the smaller number of students that would be rotating there (that's how I thought of it, no idea if it's actually true).

I think it's more difficult for us to gauge the exact pros/cons of the INOVA campus because the program, like you said, is pretty much brand new. In fact, if I am remembering correctly, one of the student guides told my interview group that the class of 2023 would be the first cohort to have students complete their entire clerkships at INOVA (which lines up with their 2021 advertisement on the website). So, again, hard to tell! What I do know, though, is that current students get to do at least one of their clerkships at INOVA (one of my guides did his peds rotation there, and he described it as "intense", and would definitely recommend the experience to anyone thinking about a career in peds), so you will get to experience at least some of it if you end up in the Charlottesville campus. Maybe even electives can be completed at INOVA? Not at all sure about that.

For full disclosure, I chose the Charlottesville campus, simply because I do not love the idea of having to move AGAIN after two years (I'd be moving from Texas to go to UVA; that's enough for me).

This is definitely NOT just you overthinking it; these are all fairly valid concerns! I found myself on the same boat as you whenever I first started looking into UVA, thinking that choosing the INOVA campus would afford me with more hands-on experience during clerkships, due to the smaller number of students that would be rotating there (that's how I thought of it, no idea if it's actually true).

I think it's more difficult for us to gauge the exact pros/cons of the INOVA campus because the program, like you said, is pretty much brand new. In fact, if I am remembering correctly, one of the student guides told my interview group that the class of 2023 would be the first cohort to have students complete their entire clerkships at INOVA (which lines up with their 2021 advertisement on the website). So, again, hard to tell! What I do know, though, is that current students get to do at least one of their clerkships at INOVA (one of my guides did his peds rotation there, and he described it as "intense", and would definitely recommend the experience to anyone thinking about a career in peds), so you will get to experience at least some of it if you end up in the Charlottesville campus. Maybe even electives can be completed at INOVA? Not at all sure about that.

For full disclosure, I chose the Charlottesville campus, simply because I do not love the idea of having to move AGAIN after two years (I'd be moving from Texas to go to UVA; that's enough for me).

Overthinking is a talent and a curse of mine so I appreciate you saying that :)

That is an interesting point. If we could elect to do more rotations at INOVA, is it worth the "risk" (if there are any risks involved) of committing to the Inova campus? My current interests are in trauma and emergency medicine (I know that could very well change once in medical school) which is why I was attracted to the Inova campus and their busy Level 1 Trauma center. But again Chalottesville just expanded their ER and it is also a larger hospital so it's hard to see if there's huge difference. I totally understand not wanting to keep moving around, that is definitely a con for me as well.

Overthinking is a talent and a curse of mine so I appreciate you saying that :)

That is an interesting point. If we could elect to do more rotations at INOVA, is it worth the "risk" (if there are any risks involved) of committing to the Inova campus? My current interests are in trauma and emergency medicine (I know that could very well change once in medical school) which is why I was attracted to the Inova campus and their busy Level 1 Trauma center. But again Chalottesville just expanded their ER and it is also a larger hospital so it's hard to see if there's huge difference. I totally understand not wanting to keep moving around, that is definitely a con for me as well.

No problem, and I completely get that. Perhaps you will get more clarity during second look, if you decide to go! (I am not, sadly). I also received the link to a google doc with the contact info of a bunch of current students shortly after I got the acceptance email. You probably got it, too, so it might be worthwhile to reach out and ask some of them what they think!

As others have said it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're interested in trauma or OB then Inova might be a good place as they probably have more traumas from the DC area (Cville doesn't really get that many GSW and such in my experience, more MVA type stuff and at a lower volume - the hospital expansion is less about taking up additional patient volume and more about space, as the old ED had many patients that were actually assigned to "beds" in the hallway). WAY more deliveries at Inova too (we really didn't get much volume on OB here). OTOH, I tend to tell people that if you're interested in a competitive specialty picking cville is probably the safer option as you're more guaranteed to have access to mentors who are known within academia in those fields, and probably more research activity too.

No problem, and I completely get that. Perhaps you will get more clarity during second look, if you decide to go! (I am not, sadly). I also received the link to a google doc with the contact info of a bunch of current students shortly after I got the acceptance email. You probably got it, too, so it might be worthwhile to reach out and ask some of them what they think!

I must not be special enough because I didn't get that email :laugh: But that is great advice, I'll reach out to admissions to see if they'll send me the google docs.

As others have said it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're interested in trauma or OB then Inova might be a good place as they probably have more traumas from the DC area (Cville doesn't really get that many GSW and such in my experience, more MVA type stuff and at a lower volume - the hospital expansion is less about taking up additional patient volume and more about space, as the old ED had many patients that were actually assigned to "beds" in the hallway). WAY more deliveries at Inova too (we really didn't get much volume on OB here). OTOH, I tend to tell people that if you're interested in a competitive specialty picking cville is probably the safer option as you're more guaranteed to have access to mentors who are known within academia in those fields, and probably more research activity too.

Hmm that makes it a tough call. I would love the experience but I don't want to be limited down the line if I want to enter a more competitive specialty. Thank you so much for your insight! :)

Would you guys say UVA is more favorable than before because of it’s 1.5 pre-clinical curriculum now that Step 1 is going to be P/F?

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed this week and one of my interviewers was on his phone nearly the whole time. Thoughts? Trying to give the benefit of the doubt as he was a physician and maybe on call, but I did spend a lot of money to be there and it rubbed me wrong...

• Hmm
Interviewed this week and one of my interviewers was on his phone nearly the whole time. Thoughts? Trying to give the benefit of the doubt as he was a physician and maybe on call, but I did spend a lot of money to be there and it rubbed me wrong...
You might get in today so wait and see

It does sound incredibly off putting, but it is not uncommon for interviewers to pull this kind of irritating stunts to see how you react to them. You hear about it all the time on SDN forums, and n=1, but I once had an interviewer cough and blow her nose very loudly (while staring directly at me) every time I would start to talk. Maybe she was actually sick, but it all seemed overly theatrical.

In any case, I do hope you receive good news today!

Note: Anecdotal evidence is NOT from my interview at UVA.

I've definitely worked with attendings who used their phones at times when a med student would get absolutely skinned alive for doing the same, but these were the exception rather than the rule. The real problem here is that now with a recent system change, everybody's pager at UVA is a smart phone using the vocera app, so now it looks like everyone is texting during patient care. I personally think it was a dumb idea

I've definitely worked with attendings who used their phones at times when a med student would get absolutely skinned alive for doing the same, but these were the exception rather than the rule. The real problem here is that now with a recent system change, everybody's pager at UVA is a smart phone using the vocera app, so now it looks like everyone is texting during patient care. I personally think it was a dumb idea
In a very non-suspicious manner, when does uva drug test the incoming class?

How are people doing UVA’s financial application if you’ve never filed taxes. Am I only required to send my parents fin info?