2019-2020 Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea that’s what I wrote down. They combined FM and IM.
He said they voted and approved this as well as step 1 after clerkships, so do others think this will go into effect immediately and the combined FM/IM will give us more time for electives?

Members don't see this ad.

He said they voted and approved this as well as step 1 after clerkships, so do others think this will go into effect immediately and the combined FM/IM will give us more time for electives?
Yes if I remember correctly he said it would all be implemented for our class and our 4th year would be longer. He did say there would still be required electives in 4th year like ER (someone pls correct me if I’m wrong I’m not 100% sure about the ER part)

Does anyone know the % match in this recent match day for UVA? Thanks!

Seems like 150 matched and the class size is 156, so 96.2% matched

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if/when UVA gives out merit aid?

They said during second look that they give out mostly need-based aid and very little merit aid. According to the financial aid website, merit awards are given out late March/early April so if it's gonna be released I would guess within the next week or so

Just double checking bc of my neuroticism, but there is no deposit that has to be paid for uva, correct?

Just double checking bc of my neuroticism, but there is no deposit that has to be paid for uva, correct?
No there isn’t! You just have to fill out the class reservation form and all that jazz and also hit the Commit to Enroll by July 1st I believe.

• Love
Was anyone at the financial aid session? Any important information they conveyed apart from the financial aid information during interview day?

Was anyone at the financial aid session? Any important information they conveyed apart from the financial aid information during interview day?

hey, not really! they said they’re sending out most of merit aid this week but if someone drops that got aid there may be more offers later on. Umm there’s a budget worksheet online that can help you decide how much loans to take out. Outside scholarship bulletin board on their fin aid site. Priority deadline for submitting need based aid was April 1st but submitting after that is ok and won’t affect how much you get. That’s mostly it but if you have any questions they said to email them they’re really responsive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how likely UVA takes someone from their waitlist? Or when they start to do that?

Does anyone know how likely UVA takes someone from their waitlist? Or when they start to do that?
Waitlist starts at ~175 applicants but dwindles to ~75 as people commit to other schools. Average MATRICULANTS off the waitlist are 11 so I would guess maybe they accept slightly more than 11 but conservatively, chances of getting accepted off the waitlist are 1/8. Unfortunately, it appears they don’t review the waitlist until late June so that seems the earliest you would hear from them.

Withdrew a couple of days ago. Good luck to you all

Withdrew my app from UVA today. Best of luck to all on the WL here!!

Does anyone know if UVA requires you to hit plan to enroll after April 30th? Or can I just have UVA as my only acceptance but not hit PTE or anything yet? Waiting on another schools waitlist and I don’t want them seeing I hit PTE on another school. Or does it not matter if they see that? Thanks guys!
I don’t find it stated anywhere that you have to hit PTE, which is interesting. Although, I don’t think it makes a difference if they see whether you hit PTE or not. I would assume med schools are basing their decisions off their evaluation of you rather than if you have an acceptance elsewhere or not. Although, crazy things happen all the time so who knows. Either way, if I were you, I would hit PTE because I think it’s the safer choice and I highly doubt it will negatively impact your chance of coming off a waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrawing my application. Super tough decision, I fell in love with UVA more than any other school but the financial aid just wasn't good enough compared to my other choice! Good luck to everyone on WL :)

to accept for thursday, do we need to do anything special. is it just PTE and withdraw from other schools? Are there any other forms due?

anyone else weirded out by how little UVA communicates with us? All of my other schools email several times per week, and UVA hasn't said a thing in weeks, hardly any communication since second look. It's kind of turning me off- are the administration known for being not very invested in / responsive to students?
I've emailed back and forth with admissions and finaid and they've been plenty responsive.

Do you have specific questions that aren't being answered or you just think generally they should be emailing more?

anyone else weirded out by how little UVA communicates with us? All of my other schools email several times per week, and UVA hasn't said a thing in weeks, hardly any communication since second look. It's kind of turning me off- are the administration known for being not very invested in / responsive to students?
I don’t understand. Is there something that needs to be communicated? I’ve also emailed with some of them because of specific questions and they were fast and helpful but I don’t see the need for them to send emails simply for the sake of sending emails, especially several times a week. What are these other schools even saying?

Up until I withdrew I don't think UVA communicated any less or more than other schools.

I actually wondered the same thing. I don't think it's been an issue at all but some of my other schools have emailed updating on what they've been up to/what next steps are. And have planned Zoom happy hours for accepted students to meet each other and dozens of current students have emailed or posted in the FB groups willing to chat. Since this is where I plan to attend I'd love that here, but still very excited!

Withdrawing my application. Super tough decision, I fell in love with UVA more than any other school but the financial aid just wasn't good enough compared to my other choice! Good luck to everyone on WL :)
Were you out-of-state? Did they give any scholarships/grants or all loans?

to accept for thursday, do we need to do anything special. is it just PTE and withdraw from other schools? Are there any other forms due?
As long as you've done the class reservation form, hit PTE and withdrawn other acceptances, you're fine.

That's awesome to hear! In normal circumstances I wouldn't think twice about it at all. I guess it's only because of no second looks and life generally being in flux right now, I've been getting a lot of communication from other schools, eg: weekly "town halls" with admissions, decision to reimburse for laptops because of possibility of starting remote, decision to delay start date by 2 months to avoid going remote, decision to split class in half and attend in person lectures every other day at the beginning to avoid online school, or virtual "happy hour" hosted by second years. Some of the info is definitely redundant and an overkill, but I think those things convey a sense of being on top of planning for any scenario that plays out at the start of school and that their admissions teams/ students are invested in giving us as much information as possible! I think I'm leaning towards UVA and loved everyone I talked to on interview day. A more hands off style is absolutely not an automatic negative. I could be reading way too much into it which is why I was wondering people's impressions :)

wow it's awesome that some schools have been so proactive! for me, UVA communication has been pretty similar to all my other schools - very prompt & friendly replies! so it might be out of the norm for schools to be as engaged as the ones you're hearing from? i definitely wouldn't overthink it! :)

That's awesome to hear! In normal circumstances I wouldn't think twice about it at all. I guess it's only because of no second looks and life generally being in flux right now, I've been getting a lot of communication from other schools, eg: weekly "town halls" with admissions, decision to reimburse for laptops because of possibility of starting remote, decision to delay start date by 2 months to avoid going remote, decision to split class in half and attend in person lectures every other day at the beginning to avoid online school, or virtual "happy hour" hosted by second years. Some of the info is definitely redundant and an overkill, but I think those things convey a sense of being on top of planning for any scenario that plays out at the start of school and that their admissions teams/ students are invested in giving us as much information as possible! I think I'm leaning towards UVA and loved everyone I talked to on interview day. A more hands off style is absolutely not an automatic negative. I could be reading way too much into it which is why I was wondering people's impressions :)
The University has a pretty comprehensive COVID response site where they clearly indicate they’re not planning on making any decisions about the fall semester until mid June. I don’t think the medical school gets to make their own plans, and it seems like it’d be irresponsible to pass hearsay outside of that official channel. The Facebook group has been plenty active and ive had several current students get in touch as a function of the M1/M2 outreach program. We also have had several hours worth of scheduled live Zoom presentations.

I think maybe you’re overthinking this. I’d try and relax and enjoy your success in the application cycle! Plenty of time to stress about adminstrivia in the next 7-10 years...

Just got an email asking if I am still interested, and that they will know more about wait list movement in the next week!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email asking if I am still interested, and that they will know more about wait list movement in the next week!!
Did you respond ?? Like “yellow yes still interested accept me plz” haha

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Did you respond ?? Like “yellow yes still interested accept me plz” haha
lol. I responded saying I was very much still interested! Curious if they send this to everyone on the WL?

Just withdrew my A. Crying on the inside rn, it was such a hard decision...

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew from this wonderful program and hope it goes to one of you! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Withdrew and it hurts so much. Hope I made the right decision

Reactions: 1 users
they sent it to me too!!! exciting stuff :)
Did you reply to the email/get any confirmation of your reply? I replied but want to make sure they got it I guess lol. Slight neuroticism over here.

Did you reply to the email/get any confirmation of your reply? I replied but want to make sure they got it I guess lol. Slight neuroticism over here.
Yeah I did reply but alas no response either. I mostly want to know if everyone on the wl got it or if it was just some of us haha

Can any current student chime in whether Grove Street is a safe area? I am considering signing a lease here

hi! for those of you who received interview invites, do you think it is worth applying with a 3.7 GPA? I have a 516 MCAT and solid EC's but I know my GPA is definitely on the lower end of their MSAR medians.

I was accepted outright and super similar to you!! Shoot your shot!